XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
May 11, 2024, 08:20:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SPDIF Cable, longer is better! (Interesting articel)  (Read 99378 times)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 03:02:15 pm »

That's my point - how do we know if the characteristic impedance of the device is correct? I's not simply a case of putting in a 75ohm R, as you know. You might just have substituted one set of reflections for another
I think you can say, that if the signal is terminated by 75ohm+-1% resistor, the impedance that the cable sees is 75ohm+-1%. And the cable itself has again 75ohm+-1% if it is very good. And here you will have reflections. You never get lost of them but doing it like this, is way better than just use a rca connector with some random impedance and normal wires that also have just random impedance. I think I got your point when you say a attenuator is alway better than non (isn't it?). This should be in most situations a good thing. But on the other hand, the attenuator itself induces refelctions again. And IF your system would be really a great design, it could get worse.

I believe that most of the issues with clocks start with the clock PS - most don't seem to get this right. 
Jep  yes  Clean power seems to be a golden rule in audio.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »

I think you can say, that if the signal is terminated by 75ohm+-1% resistor, the impedance that the cable sees is 75ohm+-1%. And the cable itself has again 75ohm+-1% if it is very good.
Depends on the receiver input circuit! The signal traces that come after that also need to be impedance controlled. A more linear stage is also better, anyway!
And here you will have reflections. You never get lost of them but doing it like this, is way better than just use a rca connector with some random impedance and normal wires that also have just random impedance.
Agreed
I think I got your point when you say a attenuator is alway better than non (isn't it?). This should be in most situations a good thing. But on the other hand, the attenuator itself induces refelctions again. And IF your system would be really a great design, it could get worse.
Can you tell me where/how the attenuator induces reflections?

I believe that most of the issues with clocks start with the clock PS - most don't seem to get this right. 
Jep  yes  Clean power seems to be a golden rule in audio.

[/quote]Even more critical in digital audio & even more crucial in clock PS - just read what Jocko (Pat) et al have to say about this.
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 03:38:08 pm »

The signal traces that come after that also need to be impedance controlled.
Assuming that the signal path is very short it becomes less significant but yes.

They have themself an impedance that dissents from 75ohm, thus causing reflections. Also there are other ways how they can manipulate the signal, I would assume, like how constant they reduce the signal according to the frequencies you send through. There are different qualites of attenuator made for different frequencie ranges. There are also attenuators for 30$ or even 120$ made for higher frequencies and better quality.

Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 03:54:44 pm »

They have themself an impedance that dissents from 75ohm, thus causing reflections. Also there are other ways how they can manipulate the signal, I would assume, like how constant they reduce the signal according to the frequencies you send through. There are different qualites of attenuator made for different frequencie ranges. There are also attenuators for 30$ or even 120$ made for higher frequencies and better quality.
have a look at the minicircuits PDF on fixed attenuators to answer/correct your above questions/statements which is what I recommend - $12 http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/pdfs/an70001.pdf
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 04:12:35 pm »

have a look at the minicircuits PDF on fixed attenuators to answer/correct your above questions/statements which is what I recommend - $12 http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/pdfs/an70001.pdf

I see no contradiction to what I wrote. Can you name one?

jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »

You seemed to imply that these precision made attenuators (which have data sheets & graphs of their VSWR) introduced some impedance mismatch but I believe that this is a red-herring unless you can show a measured digital audio system where introducing these RF attenuators would have a detrimental effect!

Anyway, point is these are $12 & alleviate/solve a number of difficult issues. Best bang for the buck that I know of!
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2010, 08:23:45 pm »

You seemed to imply that these precision made attenuators (which have data sheets & graphs of their VSWR) introduced some impedance mismatch but I believe that this is a red-herring unless you can show a measured digital audio system where introducing these RF attenuators would have a detrimental effect!

Anyway, point is these are $12 & alleviate/solve a number of difficult issues. Best bang for the buck that I know of!
Even if they have exactly 75Ohm, you will have reflections, because your cable will not have exactly 75ohm! Impedance changes->Reflection
I have worked with an analyzer once and we had attenuators that were in the range of 50$ (I was surprized that they were so expensive). And as sensitive as audio is, it might be an improvement to use "better" ones. But maybe not. I think you have chosen good ones, no doubt.

jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2010, 08:40:17 pm »

Even if they have exactly 75Ohm, you will have reflections, because your cable will not have exactly 75ohm! Impedance changes->Reflection
I have worked with an analyzer once and we had attenuators that were in the range of 50$ (I was surprized that they were so expensive). And as sensitive as audio is, it might be an improvement to use "better" ones. But maybe not. I think you have chosen good ones, no doubt.
Thank you, yes they are good ones.

In answer to your point about them having their own reflections - a quote from the PDF I linked to - the first lines read
Fixed attenuators help minimize impedance mismatches
Proper application of fixed attenuators can help reduce
impedance mismatches in high-frequency circuits and systems.

And another which shows that there is no such thing as an ideal transmission line in the real world:
Under ideal conditions, when a
load is perfectly matched to a source, maximum power available from that source is
transferred to the load. Under these ideal conditions, there are no reflections, and the
reflection coefficient is zero. But when the operating conditions are less than ideal (as in all
real-world applications), not all of the source power is absorbed by the load; the remaining
power is reflected back to the source.

As I said, I think your statement is a red herring, however if you can nominate a system in which the attenuators would be detrimental, I would stand corrected.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »

By now ... somehow this comes to me as catching flies. Happy
So, I thought to change the subject a bit ...

But still the hifacde has 45ps jitter figure according to Philip Gruebele.

... who took that from somewhere else. Besides I won't believe it. And merely, what's the phase noise ?

So, John, what oscillators are in there ? (it may even be a synthetic thing, I just don't know).

Peter

PS: I just wanted to say something to deviate from the subject a bit, because otherwise you may end up fighting. Haha.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:10 pm »

By now ... somehow this comes to me as catching flies. Happy
So, I thought to change the subject a bit ...

But still the hifacde has 45ps jitter figure according to Philip Gruebele.

... who took that from somewhere else. Besides I won't believe it. And merely, what's the phase noise ?

So, John, what oscillators are in there ? (it may even be a synthetic thing, I just don't know).

Peter

PS: I just wanted to say something to deviate from the subject a bit, because otherwise you may end up fighting. Haha.
Don't worry Peter, no fighting from me!

Here's a Phase noise plot of the stock hiface

taken by JosephK & posted on DIYA here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/168901-rf-attenuators-jitter-reducers-30.html#post2352984 He says this about the above plot "The spdif bit rate at 44.1khz is 2.8224 MHz. Half of it is 1.4112 MHz, and that is the strongest frequency line if you look at an SPDIF data stream on a spectrum analyzer.
So probably this is the jitter caused by clocking out the data..

The tall line at the bottom of the spectrum is the ~80kHz power supply noise."

He goes on to say about some of my scope shots of this 80KHz PS noise in the stock Hiface & how they correlate with his plot above "Now, because of the correlation, I am quite sure that removing that power supply noise component from the clock, the recovered jitter would be much different.."

The clocks used are MEC clocks which are good performers - a 22.xxx & a 24.XXXMHz ones to deal with the two families of speeds!
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:10 pm »

Thanks John. But your picture doesn't work and the link doesn't either. Happy

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »

Doe sit work now?
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »

Yes, both work now. Thanks !

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 11:36:17 pm »

BTW, seeing as we are talking about RF attenuators here are before/after scope shots of the stock Hiface SPDIF output
Without Attenuators:

With Attenuators:

The initial overshoot is because of the SPDIF output transformer & attenuators can't do anything for this! You can see a significant reduction in the reflections, however.
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 11:49:08 pm »

Fixed attenuators help minimize impedance mismatches
Proper application of fixed attenuators can help reduce
impedance mismatches in high-frequency circuits and systems.

And another which shows that there is no such thing as an ideal transmission line in the real world:
Under ideal conditions, when a
load is perfectly matched to a source, maximum power available from that source is
transferred to the load. Under these ideal conditions, there are no reflections, and the
reflection coefficient is zero. But when the operating conditions are less than ideal (as in all
real-world applications), not all of the source power is absorbed by the load; the remaining
power is reflected back to the source.

As I said, I think your statement is a red herring, however if you can nominate a system in which the attenuators would be detrimental, I would stand corrected.

I do not want to say you are not correct. I think too, that a system where an attenuator has a negative impact is not easy to find. Maybe don't exist. But theoreticaly it is possible that the attenuator has a negativ influence because you can have a mismatching impedance between the attenuator and the cabel/dac/whatever. It might be realy small. One could calcuate that but I am to lazy for that now. We do not need an ideal system. Just a cable that has for example 76.ohm and a attenuator that has 75ohm. The impedance suddenly changes and this causes reflections. If the system is so good, that this reflections are higher than the reflection of the system itself, the attenuator will have a negative impact. But this is just theory and may be not the case for 99.99% of all hifi systems.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: