XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
May 03, 2024, 06:58:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Towards ideal audio playback from PC  (Read 4838 times)
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:11:46 am »

Investigating the digital domain of digital audio playback on Windows PC by re-searching basically the internet I kind of summarized the stuff.
I am personally using setups 2) (not sure about async mode) and 3) via laptop and starting to look into 1)' direction as it looks promising. See more by Jon L: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/pros-cons-usb-dac-against-sound-card-160612/
My belief is that 1) is a very convenient way of getting a high quality digital signal out of PC compared to getting out an I2S (I guess there are minority of DACs having I2S input as well). I am also from those who does not DIY things from 0 therefore looking for the best ready-made out of what is available.
Of course I am talking about ability to work in 24/88, 24/96, 24/176 and 24/192 modes as well as support of KS, ASIO and WASAPI.

DIGITAL DOMAIN TILL EXTERNAL DAC:

1)
24/192 external DAC with async USB-I2s-DAC connection (no SPDIF conversion; maybe NOS or OS)
Need additional devices like: nothing
Examples of external DACs: !!!WANTED!!! Can anyone name one?

2)
24/192 external DAC with async USB-SPDIF-I2S-DAC connection (maybe NOS or OS)
Need additional devices like: USB-SPDIF converter (HiFace, Musiland 01/02 US, ......)
Examples of external DACs: many

3)
24/192 external DAC with SPDIF-I2S-DAC connection (maybe NOS or OS)
Need additional devices like: soundcard with SPDIF out
Examples of DACs: many

DIGITAL DOMAIN INSIDE PC:

24/192 internal PCI based soundcard with DAC (maybe NOS or OS)
Need additional devices like: nothing
Examples of soundcards: many

*I would like to know your thoughts on this and especially for 1)
*Also, how does Peter's NOS1 fits into this picture?
*Has anyone used USB sniffers to determine USB modes your DACs actually operate in?

Ivo

Music on internal HDD in FLAC-->LatestXX in QAP + PeakExt Mode[KS,Adaptive,2048,Q1=14,xQ1=1,Sch3,Low,Realtime,15 ms, SFS 2-400, Straight, stop all, MinOS]-->Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64bit-->Intel i5 based laptop [8 GB RAM]-->JKDAC32(HiFace based USB-I2S-DAC)-->Denon PMA-1500AE-->JBL E90 3-way speakers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: