XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 02:46:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Clean power = better sound?  (Read 28552 times)
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:09:42 pm »

Hi Ed,

I'm using maintenance free batteries for solar equipment buffered by polarized capacitors (chemicon) and some low pass filtering capacitors. The equipment and the handling is very basic because I'm using high efficient loudspeakers - alnico coax for the satellites and alnico horn for the bass. I reload the batteries every 2 weeks or so mostly Happy

Georg 

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
remco_no1
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »

Hi there,

First reply by myself  Happy

Being a serious audiophile for years now & after listening to several power conditioners, I settled for PS-Audio. Their products are really something special. They really bring improvement. They have both active & passive devices. Just try them & see if you like them.

Cheers,

Remco.
stoneman
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 09:20:52 am »

Yes. 

I use a PS audio Power Plant Premier on each of my Audio and Video systems, before that I had a PSA P600.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/description/power-plant-premier_copy?cat=power

NB these units are not filters - they convert the mains to DC then regenerate AC.  Since I live in a tower block in Hong Kong and I also use my mains for network distribution, its an essential and very effective bit of kit.  I guess if you live in the middle of a field, you may not need it ;-)
bhobba
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 02:56:26 am »

I presume you mean over and above what a well designed piece of audiophile gear would already have.  I personally have not done a lot of experimentation in this area.  But I know people who have.  One guy in particular - Hugh Dean at Aspen Audio - I respect a lot.  He recons it has a lot to do with where you live.  I live in Brisbane Australia and Hugh reckons it makes little if any difference in Aus.

What does make a big difference is the quality of the power supply in the device itself.  For example many people have reported large leaps in sound by for example replacing the switching supply found in some DAC, squezeboxes etc by a linear one.

Thanks
Bill

Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 04:53:58 am »

I live in Brisbane Australia .............

G'day Bill the "banana-bender", welcome to the forum  Happy

Stick around; you've found the home of the best PC music playback program on the planet (IMESHO) !

Cheers,

Russ

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
bhobba
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 06:07:25 am »

I live in Brisbane Australia .............

G'day Bill the "banana-bender", welcome to the forum  Happy

Stick around; you've found the home of the best PC music playback program on the planet (IMESHO) !

Cheers,

Russ

Glad to hear you say that.  For now though it is a bit of a downer since I can't get it to work.  Confident though someone will help me.

That's the bad news.  The good news is I haven't set up my music system yet so this is just a check out.  Plenty of time to get the bugs sorted out and have a chat to guys like you about the best way to go.

First question is what kind of PC do you guys reckon is best to use.  I had heard a mac mini is the best but am not too keen on macs.  I would rather not use a notebook either because I also intend to use it as a home theater pc.  Personally I would like to get something the computer store I like dealing with can make up for me along the lines of a home theater pc.

Thanks
Bill
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 11:05:42 am »

Personally I wouldn't make much fuzz about my audio PC. The only things to really think about is whether you want it silent (not necessary when in a cabinet) and how many SATAII disk connections you need. And do NOT make it a HTPC !! ... because that will contain just all the wrong things for audio (in fact, you couldn't do more wrong IMHO).

That's all. Haha.
Peter

PS: If you want to make it a gadget, the story is different. But then the first thing that slick looking emulated DVD devices would contain is a DVD slot. Why ?
Just stuff the audio PC somewhere out of sight, but let stick out the IR receiver somewhere. An audio PC is as nothing as possible with a large disk space and GOOD cpu capabilities (2 cores, large 2nd level cache, no power saving processor, fast FSB).

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
bhobba
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 11:59:37 am »

Hi Peter

Personally I wouldn't make much fuzz about my audio PC. The only things to really think about is whether you want it silent (not necessary when in a cabinet) and how many SATAII disk connections you need. And do NOT make it a HTPC !! ... because that will contain just all the wrong things for audio (in fact, you couldn't do more wrong IMHO).

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.  When I came across this site I had a good feeling I would be dealing with people on my wavelength.

When I say HTPC I mean I will also be connecting the video out to my TV so I can watch the occasional movie I have downloaded from the net.  My initial thoughts were a PC similar to the ultra silent model published in the local computer magazine Australian Personal Computer.  Basically it consists of an I3, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (which is supposed to be very quiet), two SSD disks to eliminate disk noise (I like them for faster boot up times as well), quiet power supply and cooler.  Since I will have it networked to my main PC (thats the one I am currently using) no DVD ROM or blue ray player or anything mechanical at all.

Thanks
Bill

Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:05 pm »

Basically it consists of an I3, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (which is supposed to be very quiet), two SSD disks to eliminate disk noise (I like them for faster boot up times as well), quiet power supply and cooler.  Since I will have it networked to my main PC (thats the one I am currently using) no DVD ROM or blue ray player or anything mechanical at all.

Thanks
Bill

The specs look good (i'm particularly fond of gigabyte ud mainboards). A dvd by itself won't cause any problem. The most harmless player (i.e no codecs needed) is media player classic.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: