XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 11:15:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my system up to it?  (Read 11919 times)
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:48:23 am »

Hi Peter

I'm not sure this is the place to ask these questions, but here goes. I have based my music server on an Aopen mini, with the idea of having a small server right beside my listening position. The computer has a 1.86GHz Pentium M 750 processor with a 2Mb cache, @533MHz. It can hold only 1Gb of 533Mhz RAM, and has a 40Gb internal hard drive, and a combo CD/DVD reader/writer. 

Other stuff: the monitor is a little 8" LCD. I have two 320GB external hard drives, and an external Plextor CD reader/writer. I'm planning on ripping WAVE files on the Plextor, using PlexTools. The signal goes to an optical USB extender with a battery power supply, to isolate the DAC from the computer power supply noise. That feeds a battery powered DDAC1543 NOS DAC with two towers of 12 paralleled 1543 chips. All this goes to a DIY tube buffered line stage, then to a very tricked out pair of SE DIY 300B tube amps, and finally to some very nice sounding (to my ears at least) DIY line array speakers.

My four questions:
1- Will 1Gb ram be enough?
2- Will my small monitor cause problems?
3- Seems as if Vista home basic (less is better I think) is all I need for audio playback, as this is a dedicated music server, am I right?
4- With my setup, which version of your player would be the most appropriate?

Thanks,
twystd

Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:38:47 am »

Hi Peter

I'm not sure this is the place to ask these questions, but here goes. I have based my music server on an Aopen mini, with the idea of having a small server right beside my listening position. The computer has a 1.86GHz Pentium M 750 processor with a 2Mb cache, @533MHz. It can hold only 1Gb of 533Mhz RAM, and has a 40Gb internal hard drive, and a combo CD/DVD reader/writer. 

Other stuff: the monitor is a little 8" LCD. I have two 320GB external hard drives, and an external Plextor CD reader/writer. I'm planning on ripping WAVE files on the Plextor, using PlexTools. The signal goes to an optical USB extender with a battery power supply, to isolate the DAC from the computer power supply noise. That feeds a battery powered DDAC1543 NOS DAC with two towers of 12 paralleled 1543 chips. All this goes to a DIY tube buffered line stage, then to a very tricked out pair of SE DIY 300B tube amps, and finally to some very nice sounding (to my ears at least) DIY line array speakers.

My four questions:
1- Will 1Gb ram be enough?
2- Will my small monitor cause problems?
3- Seems as if Vista home basic (less is better I think) is all I need for audio playback, as this is a dedicated music server, am I right?
4- With my setup, which version of your player would be the most appropriate?

Thanks,
twystd

Hello Twystd,

The question mbt The "8 LCD: I had such a monitor myself for XX and i never had any problems.

The rest of the questions Peter wil answer ( i think)  Happy

Grtz

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:32:32 am »

Hi,

The computer has a 1.86GHz Pentium M 750 processor with a 2Mb cache, @533MHz. It can hold only 1Gb of 533Mhz RAM, and has a 40Gb internal hard drive, and a combo CD/DVD reader/writer. 

The processor is okay, although it would prevent you from playing with Core Appointment (and I myself am far from finished with that !).

The memory ... well, I think you knew it ... not enough. Sad
I don't think you'll ever et away with it;
Engine#1 uses the least memory, but at a downside of not being able to play 64MB+ tracks.
Engine#2 uses the most memory, which you will need when running XP (to avoid the above).
Vista needs 500MB to start with for herself. although Engine#3 would use as few as Engine#1.
So you see ... there's always a pitfall.

the monitor is a little 8" LCD.

As Gerard said; Assumed that it's 640x480 (not lower), the late versions if XX anticipate on this explicitly.

Seems as if Vista home basic (less is better I think) is all I need for audio playback, as this is a dedicated music server, am I right?

By itself, yes. But be careful though. I don't think anyone is using Home Basic so far, and since the Home Premium in addition supports multi media stuff, you never know whether they omitted certain sound stuff. Example : it could be loaded with DirectX9 (not 10) only, and that would NOT work.
Also keep in mind that there would be nobody to ask this to because the question would be really about playing sound in Exclusive Mode and there's no player out there that uses it (but XX). You could put a question on the forum whether anyone uses Home Basic with XX ?

Another thing, which for me personally would be important, is that you'd need the Business versions in order to use Remote Desktop Connection; by this means you could access the tabletop (hehe) from off somewhere else. Btw, more usual is to do this the other way around : just have a sufficiently large machine (could even be in another room), and control all by means of a small machine like your Pandora's Box by means of RDC.

With my setup, which version of your player would be the most appropriate?

None. Cry

But please consider my remark about the RDC thing. You can just keep on running XP on the Pandora, and a new machine would run Vista Business.

I hope this helps a bit !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:33:53 am »

I don't think anyone is using Home Basic so far

Or maybe someone is afterall : http://www.phasure.com/index.php?action=profile;u=136

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Tony S
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:29:47 pm »

Hi Twystd,

I am using Vista Home Basic as PeterSt pointed out and is working fine even with 1Gb of ram. I do however have to make sure all the extra features are off like Aero and programs that might be running in the background that aren't really needed.

Engine #3 is what I'm using with Q1 at 14 or -4, sometimes inverted. I don't hear any snap, crackle or pops when opening up a window or a program so far. System resources says that I am using around 700MB of ram when running XXHighEnd by itself. It is pushing it but has worked fine.

Tony

Vista Basic, Usb ->Musiland Monitor 02 -> Parasound Amp ->2.5 way Vifa/Scanspeak.
Ver. 0.9z-2, Playerprio-Low, Threadprio-Realtime, Buffer 256, 2x Upsampling, Adaptive Mode, Arc Prediction, Scheme-3, Q1- 1/10/10/0/0, SFS 70, Unattended, Services Off.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »

Thank you Tony !

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Tony S
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:09:19 am »

Hi PeterSt,

You might not want to thank me for my previous reply, maybe for some of the information. I am getting a little ticking sound when I open up a window or a program, it wasn't happening the other day. It is not loud and is not really bothersome.
sometimes it does it and shortly after it doesn't? When I am using the XXHighEnd player, I am doing some serious listening anyway and not touching-up photos in Photoshop or surfing the Web. I'm am using the 0.9pd version rignt now, maybe it was the 0.9q version the other day that was not giving me those issues. I'll try 0.9q again and let you know.

Tony

Vista Basic, Usb ->Musiland Monitor 02 -> Parasound Amp ->2.5 way Vifa/Scanspeak.
Ver. 0.9z-2, Playerprio-Low, Threadprio-Realtime, Buffer 256, 2x Upsampling, Adaptive Mode, Arc Prediction, Scheme-3, Q1- 1/10/10/0/0, SFS 70, Unattended, Services Off.
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:51:42 am »

When I was first evaluating XXHE I had only 512K of ram, but that was with XP.  When I moved to Vista Home Premium I put in two GB of ram at the same time...

I guess I'm posting wanting to say hi to twystd and say something about file size... doesn't the size of your wav files determine how little ram you can get away with?  I thought I decided to up my ram not only because of Vista but because I ripped my CDs to a single large wav file plus cue file.  But if you've ripped your CDs to multi small wav files you might get away with lesser amounts of ram???  Anyway, something in the back of my mind still is convinced about having one large wav file as opposed to breaking things down... hheheh

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: