XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 04:28:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing a few amps  (Read 67137 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 10:27:33 am »

highend is a long journey and it will never end.

I wouldn't mind if I thought I was actually moving forward, rather than going around in circles all the time. I mean, am I really deriving more pleasure from my music today than I did say 20 years ago? I'm not sure that I am. Of course, a lot of this has to do with what's going on in our own heads... Maybe I need to start taking some 'substances' rather than getting new kit... it'd probably work out a lot cheaper!

Back OT, I really hope I've found a good amp with which to drive my electrostatics. If not, I will certainly look into the Dartzeel NHB-108B. Another amp that I have my eyes on (but can't really afford, unless I sell my car, my wife's jewellery, and hell, probably my wife as well) is the Berning Quadrature Z. If it's a high-powered version of my Berning Siegfried 300B, it should be very good indeed.

But I'd rather not spend too much money on an amp right now beacuse I have a feeling that ultimately, I'll end up with low-powered amps driving ultra-high efficiency speakers with active line-level crossovers.

We'll see...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »

But I'd rather not spend too much money on an amp right now beacuse I have a feeling that ultimately, I'll end up with low-powered amps driving ultra-high efficiency speakers with active line-level crossovers.

Grin

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 09:51:06 pm »

highend is a long journey and it will never end.

Hi Mani,

I do believe that there is a false interpretation of my post.
I recommended "to listen" to a Dartzeel amp and not to buy one. Tastes are different.
I buy most of the audio equipment second hand only. This is a reason that I did not have to sell my wife and the life insurance until now (maybe in the future).
The prices of audio equip. are not calculated on earth nowadays. You see it on the price tag of the Berning Quadrature Z.
The cheapest and major improvement of the SQ is an investment in the acoustic of the listening room. (the priorities are: acoustic first, acoustic second, speaker positioning third)

You wrote on July 28th, that speed is essential, and the Dartzeel (second hand: EUROS 7.000,00 - and I'm driving now a 6 year old Polo) is the fastest amp I ever listened to, and the amp has ULTRA strong 100watts/8 Ohms down to 1,6 Ohms.
Ken Kessler was driving the Quad ESL 2905 with a McIntosh 2102 / (http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/downloads/HFN%20ESL%20review%2006.pdf)

We are eager waiting for your comments  / praise of your new Magtech Amplifier (the power of this amp is unbelievable, amazing).

kind regards

Joachim

------------------------
Windows VISTA SP2> XXHE 09z-2 - Adaptive mode -  Q1/2/3/4/5 = 1/0/0/0/0 / No Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended / Arc Prediction * > Acer , Intel i750>|- Weiss Minerva -|- Dartzeel NHB-108B > speakers: Anat Referenz II Studio>
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

I owned the darTZeel amp and pre-amp for awhile.  Great products and fantastic customer support. 

I've also heard the best Boulder, Spectral, Halcro and Pass Labs SS amps in my system and a very special custom made hybrid (tube gain / SS output) amp.  IMVHO, the Atma-Sphere OTL (output transformerless) amps are a very audible cut above all of these amplifiers.  However, to use the lower powered S30 and M60 Atma-Sphere's you really need a high efficiency, 8 ohm nominal speaker with flattish impedance curve.  Personally, after having owned and auditioned many speakers, I  think high efficiency is the way to go anyway if your goal is to as closely reproduce the sound of live music as possible. 

So, if you have speakers which fit the profile I summarized above I would strongly recommend you audition the Atma-Sphere S30 (single chassis stereo amp with 30 watts Class A power) or the M60's (monoblocks with 60 watts Class A power).  They are reasonably priced used (at least here in the USA) and make every other amp I've listened to sound colored.  They do run hot, however.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:45 pm »

Yes, I've heard good things about the Atma-Sphere amps (OTLs, like the Bernings). I can imagine they sound great driving the Geddes Speakers...

They do run hot, however.

And that's the problem - I'd really like an amp that runs cool. This is the main reason I let the Pass Aleph 4 go - beautifully natural sound, but way too hot. Now, the Sanders Magtech amp runs totally cool. If it sounds half as good as its specs look on paper, I should be happy. I'll know for sure tomorrow...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 04:10:05 pm »

If it sounds half as good as its specs look on paper, I should be happy.

Let's just say I'm NOT happy... I'm close on ecstatic!

Using XX's vol control (with QAP) and feeding my DAC (with massively fast output stage) straight into the Magtech amp, my Quads have suddenly come alive and are dynamic as hell... and yet totally natural-sounding. An acoustic guitar (I have a couple) really sounds like one... finally. You wouldn't believe this - I hardly can.

Roger Sanders gives a 30-day money-back guarantee, paying for shipping both ways if necessary. But let me tell you, he ain't getting this amp back... This was €3500 very well spent.

I'd like to thank Peter and Telstar for pointing me in the right direction - it is because of my search for speed that I stumbled upon this amp.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »

Hey hey, good !!
And your Quads should be fast, out of anything ...

But please be VERY careful without the preamps. Your Quads me not survive it when something goes wrong. Actually, I think they just won't.
Only do this when you are very very sure all is right on the playback side (that would be me) and for the material you use. And, when there's a new version, thouroughly test all your material and "stuff" (like VolUp, Next) again. Maybe switch Off "Allow Format Changes" to avoid infite combinations. HDCD is part of it.

Good you are happy now !!
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 07:01:21 pm »

But please be VERY careful without the preamps. Your Quads me not survive it when something goes wrong. Actually, I think they just won't.
Only do this when you are very very sure all is right on the playback side (that would be me) and for the material you use. And, when there's a new version, thouroughly test all your material and "stuff" (like VolUp, Next) again. Maybe switch Off "Allow Format Changes" to avoid infite combinations. HDCD is part of it.
Peter

Does this count for my ESl elements aswell Peter  dntknw

I was planning to do when NOS1 is ready.

Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 10:40:10 am »

Generally this counts for everything which isn't ready for a burst of the highest transients (static) in the more middle region. I count electrostats amongst that. A ribbon would be prone to break too, but it depends on the frequency they deal with. So a tweeter ? I don't think so.

But actually no one should have this through his/her speakers.

Maybe I overdo things with these warnings, but I just don't want to be responseable. I think I didn't encounter such a blast for over 18 months now, but we all know that some of you had it sometimes. If I only could guarantee it not happening ...

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 11:49:09 am »

Thanks for the warning.

For now, 0.9z-2 seems pretty stable to me. But I tend to load a whole album, set the correct volume at the outset and listen all the way through. Not a lot to go wrong really. But I will use a preamp before trying any new versions of XX.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »

Once I get my new 'white sheep' NOS1 for my office system, I think I will want to use my Sanders Magtech amp in my office driving my 'small' Quad 2805 speakers. I will then need a new amp in my main room with which to drive my 'big' Quad 2905 speakers. The obvious answer would be to order another Magtech amp. But I have one here already, and so it may be a good opportunity to test a few other amps against it before I make a decision.

I've recently been drawn to Soulution amplifiers - really too expensive for me, but still, I'm interested in learning more about them. I've attached the specs for their stereo power amp, the 710. They quote the slew rate as '330 nano seconds'. This means nothing to me... could someone help me out with understanding this figure (I'm sure it's very simple).

Does anyone have any experience with Soulution amps?

Mani.

* Soulution 710 specs.jpg (59.47 KB, 778x581 - viewed 2318 times.)

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:53 pm »

Once I get my new 'white sheep' NOS1 for my office system, I think I will want to use my Sanders Magtech amp in my office driving my 'small' Quad 2805 speakers.

I've currently got my 'Subaru' NOS1 in my office and have just replaced my old Rotel RHB-10 amp with the Magtech. I'm sure the Rotel was very good in its day, but let's just say that I'll definitely want the Magtech in my office when the new NOS1 arrives. I've said it before when I first bought the Magtech, the Quads just come alive with it. They now have real bass. And the sound is super, super smooth.

I'm happy to try a few others amps, but I really can't imagine any bettering the Sanders Magtech with either of my Quad electrostatics.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 05:57:10 pm »

They quote the slew rate as '330 nano seconds'. This means nothing to me... could someone help me out with understanding this figure (I'm sure it's very simple).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slew_rate
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

"The unit of slew rate is V/µs."

Hence my confusion...

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:09 am »

"The unit of slew rate is V/µs."

Think about rise time. Not in general (like how fast to reach your 43.834Vp), but how steep the upgoing (+ down) going line of the square can be. The steeper the better. The more V per us the steeper it will be (per time unit on the x-axis).

That in your case this is given in ns should harm you. That's just a matter of shifting some commas.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: