XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 27, 2024, 01:49:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Analog stereo RCA cable  (Read 12477 times)
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:32:17 pm »

I am on my way to upgrade the analog part of my stereo system. This time it will be the analog RCA cable between DAC and stereo amp. So, I was wondering if you could share what cables are you using there and is there a cheap one that beats the expensive ones? Also, what do you think about the importance of this cable as to overall system sound. THANKS.

Ivo

Music on internal HDD in FLAC-->LatestXX in QAP + PeakExt Mode[KS,Adaptive,2048,Q1=14,xQ1=1,Sch3,Low,Realtime,15 ms, SFS 2-400, Straight, stop all, MinOS]-->Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64bit-->Intel i5 based laptop [8 GB RAM]-->JKDAC32(HiFace based USB-I2S-DAC)-->Denon PMA-1500AE-->JBL E90 3-way speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:48:56 pm »

Guys ...

I think it is a bit stupid that nobody wants to share his opinion on this. Of course you may think your answer will be wrongish or stupid by itself, but since I don't like questions to remain unanswered, I just *will* do it. So, it is not that I don't want to do it, but if we go on like this you may think I know it all, and I'm the only one ... or something like that. This is far from true in many cases, and it really can't harm to have "a" or another opinion. Ok ?

So, here is my take, and it probably isn't worth much :

I am totally careless about cables. Those who have been at my place know it. But, this is almost explicit, because cables just shouldn't do anything in my opinion.
I use shielded (75 Ohm) cables for about everything and at less than 1 euro per meter and some good sticking plugs I make them myself.
Notice that this doesn't imply they are "good" as such, and the only thing I explicitly use from a cable is the shielding because I think that is a necessity (especially with my cable mess).

But ...

What is in my mind for sure is that any cable that makes the sound "better" by means of bringing more ease/rest and that kind of stuff, will be a wrong cable. It will filter out things which are wrong - hence not to be there in the first place, and from there on you won't know what you are doing. I mean, if you have a preamp that makes the sound harsh, throw it out or buy a better preamp. This counts for everything.
I think THE main differennce from my "sound" compared to others' is that I never solve things the wrong way. I solve them at the source.
Yea, easy to say for me (with quite some things under my own control), but still it would be wrong to explicitly solve issues with cables. And above that, they cost you. A LOT.

But it also depends on the (known) properties of the cable concerned, and whether we can understand them. For example (and I don't have more examples at the moment), for the DAC and the analogue wireing, I use specially extruded silver wire, where during the extrusion the (still fluid) cable is held back. So, the density of the electrons will be higher, to me meaning a better and faster throughput of the electricity (this is not the commercial expression of the manufacturer, but just my thinking with the production process - which *is* expressed by the manufacturer).

So, you could say that when I at last use a cable other than normal, it is *me* who must have an idea of its better working and why.
Do I hear a difference ? No. But I also didn't try to hear a difference, as with many things. If only the (my) theory is good. Besides, there's only some 4cm of this wire per channel (like in 4x for stereo) in the DAC, so probably it isn't audible at all.

However ... Since I have some 10 meters of this hanging around anyway, it should be sufficient for creating a set of interlinks out of it, in my case from the DAC to the main amps. *Now* I am pretty sure I will be perceiving a difference, and whatever it will be, it should be for the better.
Unless someone tells me that near pure silver acts like a filter for something. But then I just shouldn't use it at all, anywhere.

So ... Your question Ivo, comes together with my very first attempt in my audio life (which must be close to some 40 years now) that I am going to have a real serious attempt with cabling of some sort. But it is not a real coincidence I am doing that right at this very moment. Why ?
Well, because I'm kind of done now. My amps are my amps, my speakers are my speakers, my DAC is finally my DAC (nothing will change sound wise anymore), so NOW I am ready for stupid cabling.

So you see, nothing much more than 2c. But I will let you know when more value comes from it. I think I will do it somewhere in the upcoming days.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »

Yeah, I think about replacing my low-end Belkin cables with Vovox Initio. This is actually pro audio company, but has 2 series of 'audiophile' cables: Initio and, a lot more expensive, Textura. These cables were highly recommended by my colleague. He claim that Vovox (initio) is better than  Albedo Monolith, YP Sound Argentum, Mit Terminator, Tara Air 1, Shunyata Python, Anaconda and Lyra, Nordosth Vishnu and Kubala Sosna. Initio series is relatively cheap, but still - it will be almost 1K EUR for everything (IC, speaker, power cables and power socket). That's quite a sum especially that my system is worth about ~2,5K EUR. Is it worth it?

http://www.vovox.com/neu/content_e/03_02.html
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue44/vovox.htm
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:39:55 pm »

Hey Ivo,

The best way is to DIY,
spend it on high grade materials rather then spending it on a "famous high-end" brand.
I have seen a lot of those "expensive" interlinks from the inside and its nothing more then "normal" wire.
Those still costing you hundreds of euros/dollars, what a waste.

Use materials like 99,9999 silver or high grade OFC copper pref. solid-core wire and use teflon as dielectric insulator instead of PVC.

Let me know if you are into DIY, you can build your own.

To Peter,

Did you ordered the cable materials I mentioned to you in a PM ?
I think you did, or at least almost the same.
They will be worth while as analog interlinks, believe me.
Although the length between your dac and amp concerns me, maybe do shield them. (for eg. 3M copper foil and braided copper) dont connect the copper shielding to ground just leave as is.

If you are planning on building those, get enough booze on the side because they are NOT easy to build.
(you need to make a mould, to get the wire properly in place and you need an extra hand)

For now,

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:15 pm »

Some general reflections:
There are quite big sound differences to be had from various cables. But "different" doesnt allways mean better or worse, just "different".
I use a quite good (neutral) inexpensive signal cable called SILK, sourced from Sweden as ready made or DIY. It is one of the best sellers in Scandinavia, a good allrounder. It is available in 2 versions. Exactly the same geometry and materials, but with different gauge.
I went for the thicker one, giving more body and fuller sound. Choosing the thinner one would give more "speed" and focus on the overtones.
Actually, now I am longing for slightly more "action" and transient speed, and I have been tempted to check out some other cables. But I'll wait till I get the NOS DAC, which Peter says excel exactly in those areas. (I  have a theory that my Buffallo II is *slightly* on the soft side of real world microdynamic response). 

Cable differences are well worth testing out, but don't ever spend big bucks on it, because the same money spend on active components provides better value/money.

Happy cable hunting!

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:39:21 am »

Ivo,

I agree with everything said already, and can add just a little of my experience.
If you want to buy in the shop then go to a good shop and ask to try some of their cables for a weekend.
This is how I started and ended up with a very nice sounding cable by audioquest. (20 years or so ago).
The other cables sounded thinner and this one was warmer and silky.
After that tried a lot of different DIY-experiments, to end up with buying vd Hull en Nordost.
But then I read about wire without plastic insulation, laquer-wire used to make transformers.
It was a big surprise, transients sounded so clean, absolutely no smearing.
I guess teflon is better in this respect too like audiodidact wrote, but no dielectric is best of course.
Just like capacitors, the dielectric has a big influence.
Then the thickness of the wires. I did not believe it but really it has influence, for my speakers I ended up with eight strings of 1 mm wire.
For mid/high a combination of .5 and .35 mm sounded best. It is like they have their own resonancefrequency wich gets canceled by the combination.
And the wires have to be twisted to give some mechanical stiffness, wires are not supposed to move relative to each other.
This idea you can find at Cardas too, but they are expensive!
If you feel like it, DIY is the way to go!
If you don't want to DIY go back to my first advice.

Peter, maybe a thread for tips and tweeks for the other parts of the chain?

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
wushuliu
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:28:34 am »

I agree w/ Peter that the most important factor is the source, but in my experience a high quality cable helps you to diagnose weaknesses in your system. Just like using XXHE, it's all about trial and error. Not just any cheap cable will do. if at all possible as has been said, DIY is the way to go. Also, it's fun! For very little money you can make a great cable with Teflon OCC Copper and high quality connectors for instance. And the connectors are important. IMO that is where the 'cheapness' of a cable can be most compromised. In other words, I think a regular good-quality copper cable w/ copper/silver, etc connectors will sound better than an 'expensive' copper cable with cheap brass connectors. But that's just my experience.

Just like XXHE, every element plays a role, every component contributes to the quality of the sound. Some elements are more important than others, but it all adds up...

Most important thing is learning and having fun. biglol

Custom PC w/ 560 AM3/8GB/30GB SSD/Win7x64/Antec Earthwatt;Dacport LX; SimpleSE Tube Amp; Mark Audio Alpair or EL70 Fullrange w/ 8" Usher
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 05:34:56 pm »

Gerard gave some good advise too,

But then I read about wire without plastic insulation, laquer-wire used to make transformers.
It was a big surprise, transients sounded so clean, absolutely no smearing.
I guess teflon is better in this respect too like audiodidact wrote, but no dielectric is best of course.
Just like capacitors, the dielectric has a big influence.
Then the thickness of the wires. I did not believe it but really it has influence, for my speakers I ended up with eight strings of 1 mm wire.
For mid/high a combination of .5 and .35 mm sounded best. It is like they have their own resonancefrequency wich gets canceled by the combination.
And the wires have to be twisted to give some mechanical stiffness, wires are not supposed to move relative to each other.

- OK, but no dielectric is not really do-able, you need some kind of protection against oxidation/corrosion.
   So if you get cable wire always get wire with at least Teflon (PTFE, FEP)
   Otherwise you cannot even touch it with your "dirty" fingers.

This has to do with the skin-effect, electrons tend to move near the outside of the cable, so between the outside-wire and the dielectric.
   if you use PVC it just wont do, its just bad, you will hear this. (smearing)

- Thickness of the wire is VERY important, for interlinks I would recommend to use no more as 0.5 mm (even smaller is better)

- Don't use coaxial designs, or use 2 wire coaxial instead and leave the foil and breaded shield in place, but do not connect the shield to ground.

- Twisting the wire is very important to reduce noise and avoid the interlink to work like an antenna, about 15-17 twists/per feet is a good value.

- Its better to double-shield all other cables in your system and leave the analog interlinks UNSHIELDED.

- And yes, the connectors will be the most expensive parts of the design, be also very important, use for eg. Eichmann, WBT, Neutrix, Furutech (not cheap!)

- Use silver-solder to make the connections and clean off the flux with pure alcohol before wrap it in teflon plumbers-tape, this avoids corrosion
  and keeps your contacts clean, for many years.

For now,

Roy

PS: For those who do not feel like DIY, I have some very nice designs I can pre-build with using only the best materials currently available.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
arvind
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »

Hi Ivo,

I have over the years tried various analog interconnects & I find that the Audience AU 24 is very neutral, fairly priced & has performed better in my system as compared to some of the very big brands like Purist Audio/Kimber/Synergistic Research/Siltech etc,etc.

Arvind

W10-14393.0 RAM OS / Mach III LPS 14/28/XXHE 2.11/Engine#4/Adaptive Mode/16x /Custom Filter/Q1= 14/0/0/0 xQ1=1/Device Buffer:4096/Invert Phase=On/Minimise OS/PE=off/Unattended/Stop All Services/SFS=20.69/20.69(max)/ClockRes= 15ms/Straight Contiguous/Music on HDD/Lush^3 USB cable A:W-Y-R-G; B:W-Y-R/Phasure NOS 1a/75b/G3 USB DAC. > Blaxius*^2.5 A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink. Orelo MK II active speakers. ET^3 between Mach III & music server. Driver version 1.04/Driver Buffer 16ms. OSD text = Off
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: