XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 12:48:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We all fell in the W7 pitfall  (Read 374798 times)
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2010, 10:21:06 pm »

've had this post written and ready to post when I accidently closed my browser, so I'm gonna be short now (frustrated...)

I did a comparison between underclocked/undervolted PC (CPU set as dual core at 1GHz, 2x2GB RAM DDR3 at 800MHz CL5) and default settings (2.8GHz, RAM at 1600MHz CL7). I have few important things to say:
1. THe faster the PC is, the larger SFS setting is needed for XXHE to sound right. (12MB for very slow PC is fine, but once I brought the power back, I needed to increase it to 150 MB)
2. Underclocked/undervolted PC (slow) could help you bear with wrong system/settings (like W7) - it will cover its flaws and hide details at the same time. But now that we have tuned Vista and XXHE on RAMdisk, there are no flaws to cover.
3. The fastest PC will get the best out of XXHE, but if you have something wrong in OS or bad recordings - it will throw you all the flaws right on your face.

So I guess I should wait until Sandy Bridge (next generation of Core architecture) is released and get the fastest one Cool

Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »

And one more thing: underclocked/undervolted PC really works great for CMP, but not for XXHE. They wander around just like I did...
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2010, 11:15:28 pm »

And one more thing: underclocked/undervolted PC really works great for CMP, but not for XXHE. They wander around just like I did...

Marcin,

Great work, a myth busted ! Its easy to wonder off down the slow CPU route but system responsiveness in the right places suits HighEnd IMHO as well. It will be interesting to hear Peters thoughts following his earlier post.

You make a very important point about a poorly tuned PC masking issues in the overall replay system. I also think this but have never expressed it so clearly. The better the tune the more you hear so the basics have to be right but if they are  sounds good !.  As Peter's software as taken great leaps so access to the last 15 or 20% of audible performance from the system has become much more important IMHO.

Regarding your PCI card. I have modified a USB PCI card to run from linear supplies. The only connections to the PC are the PCI bus earths and the signal channels of the bus to the card. There is still going to be some RF transfer through the earths / signal and general environment but the card was far better. I don't use it any more (gone over to internal USB which works better with the asynchronous mode HiFace) but this might be a great modification for your PCI card. Its a fiddly one to do though as the tracks that you need to cut and solder are very small. I am looking forward to seeing the PCI interface that Peter has put into the Phasure NOS. It sounds like it doesn’t need much tweaking ! but....

Nick

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

Nick,

Do you install drivers for your GPU?
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2010, 11:49:25 pm »

Nick,

Marcin,

No, I was careful to select a mother board with a very basic Intel on board GPU built in, I use the basic out of the box Vista drivers and over clock it in the Bios then limit video traffic as much as possible in config. I have used PCI and PCIe video cards and tried to buy the slowest most basic possible. The problem is they all have mega 600Mhz +++ processors and complex drivers these days. They have high IRQ priority and can command a lot of CPU interupts. As a principle try to limit the PCI traffic to the card by doing whatever you can with the config to do this.

Sorry forgot you question on power schemes. I start with the max performance one then go with

Never sleep
Display off in 1 min (I read an interesting comment from Peter saying this may platue CPU speed so I will look at this)
Hard disks off in 1 min
And turn off everything that means the OS has to monitoring something.

For a bit of fun (sad) I used to follow how quickly the PC shuts down, it gets quicker and quicker as things are stripped and tuned. From the moment you click the power down button to the PSU relay clicking off with a dead screen it takes 3 seconds ! Now RAM disk is installed and writing the disk from memory it takes ages  unhappy

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2010, 11:55:47 pm »

Nick,

Marcin,

No, I was careful to select a mother board with a very basic Intel on board GPU built in, I use the basic out of the box Vista drivers and over clock it in the Bios then limit video traffic as much as possible in config. I have used PCI and PCIe video cards and tried to buy the slowest most basic possible. The problem is they all have mega 600Mhz +++ processors and complex drivers these days. They have high IRQ priority and can command a lot of CPU interupts. As a principle try to limit the PCI traffic to the card by doing whatever you can with the config to do this.

That's like I thought, but didn't you mean underclock in BIOS? GPU speed is not required for XXHE Happy

Sorry forgot you question on power schemes. I start with the max performance one then go with

Never sleep
Display off in 1 min (I read an interesting comment from Peter saying this may platue CPU speed so I will look at this)
Hard disks off in 1 min
And turn off everything that means the OS has to monitoring something.

For a bit of fun (sad) I used to follow how quickly the PC shuts down, it gets quicker and quicker as things are stripped and tuned. From the moment you click the power down button to the PSU relay clicking off with a dead screen it takes 3 seconds ! Now RAM disk is installed and writing the disk from memory it takes ages  unhappy

Nick.

Same here Happy
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2010, 12:10:28 am »

Now RAM disk is installed and writing the disk from memory it takes ages  unhappy

Is your Image saved to an SSD ? (mine is)
Or maybe your RAMDisk is 4GB or so ? (1GB here)
I really don't notice it. Yes, at booting ! (the RAMDisk is created before the Numlock, Capslock and the light besides that lit).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2010, 12:31:49 am »

Nick.

I never turn it off, I just put it to sleep Wink It consumes 4-5W when sleeping.

My power settings are 1h for HDDs (one), anything else never turn off. When i want it to sleep, i do that MANUALLY. Recovery from sleep is 2seconds.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2010, 12:36:46 am »

I think I have a GOOD working Vista Install (vLite), with RAMDisk.

I mean really good sounding, felt the bass on my hands from meters away, could play very loud and have clean hights.

I think this is the foundation for further tweaking for me........most tweaks still needs to be done.
BUT with CAUTION.

Also changed some BIOS settings, like EIST off, and overclocked Q9550 @ 2.83 --> now @ 3.48, RAM also overclocked a little.

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2010, 12:41:41 am »

too much !

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2010, 12:42:43 am »

Thats great Roy  Happy

Audio PC

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2010, 12:45:21 am »

@ Special Mode 32 samples, SFS 12MB, Q 1,0,0,0,0
But to premature, will take more time to test further.

Peter, thanks for the fast reply on the new activation code, this get me going fast

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2010, 01:05:01 am »

I have attached the Autoruns for my thin Vista build.

These are for EXPERIMENTATION only at the moment. They are not supposed to be applied verbatim to systems.
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL changing system config with Autoruns it can make your system unbootable very easily. Trust me I'v had a lot of forced rebuilds getting here. The settings are are specific to my system (eg my drivers and hardware) but the general config items should work on most Vista builds.

The best way to proceed is to;
1)   Open you systems Autoruns in one window.
2)   Open the attached Autoruns in another window.
3)   Position the windows on screen so you can see them both.
4)   Transfer the setting of my Autoruns to yours in blocks of about 10 at a time. AVOID changing anything that looks like it is a hardware driver specific to your system (sound cards etc).
5)   Reboot and see if the last block of changes works, it’s worth playing music each time as some can stop HighEnd working (see recovering if you cannot boot)
6)   If you cannot boot you need to press F8 after the BIOS posts to get to the safe boot screen. When you are in the F8 screen USE LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. This will normally get you going again.

Note that there are no WinSock entries in my safeboots. This is only because you cannot toggle on and off, you have to delete them one by one. It is fine to do this and well worth while (no network on your dedicated music OS!)

There are endless permutations and it’s taken months / years to get this listing and its defiantly possible to go further. If you do go further than these settings you do need to A/B test changes you can easily end up harming sound (sometimes is a subtle way like slight loss of a little dynamics or timber).

Have fun.

Nick.

* Vista Thin Build nw Va.zip (156.65 KB - downloaded 545 times.)

Audio PC

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2010, 01:08:40 am »

I should have atteched a link to the Autoruns program in case you don't have it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Nick

Audio PC

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2010, 05:48:59 am »

What a great sounding OS i have installed here, FABULOUS !
Untweaked even on spinning disc

I dare to say and try for yourself, but its SPEED that we're after. (CPU/RAM/mobo)
Overclock as much as you can, because the cpu wont get really hot, just dont over-volt too much.

XX is really responsive from this, meaning a 9min song wil play within a second. (dep on settings and needs)

And the sound:

well, how about a field of sparkles in a dome of sound, what a soundstage, hmm

What happened here ?

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  All
  Print  

Jump to: