XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:47:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IRQ CPU Affinity Setting  (Read 72489 times)
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 10:38:04 am »

So IntFiltr install glitches are not likely to be service pack related I guess.

Peter,
Thankfully I’m running nothing on SSD at the moment so I hope power cuts will just remain a simple annoyance not a data nightmare (I feel your pain).

Regarding sound changes, I wonder if your DAC electronics being so optimised means  that the OS changes do not make the same level of difference. If your electronics are well clocked and locked on the stream it might be your system has better tolerance to OS induced jitter and timing errors. Just thinking out loud.

Mani,

After reading Peters earlier XX internal settings, I thought I would try special mode again (At last I have understood how to set buffers size and latency for special mode correctly). What I found was I could get 95%+ of the organic quality of Adaptive mode with much better resolution and rightness of tone. Even more like vinyl.

On the HiFace I set the XX buffer size to 2048 but found that the lowest Q1 latency was definatly not where the sweet spot is;

Set Q1 to get 2 sample latency and played with SFS arround 70 - 90 = Much too thin souding and  hyperdetailed

at 4 samples latency and SFS between 70 and 90 = better but nowhere near right

8 samples approaching adaptive mode sound only losing a tiny amount of resolution (or it might be that the forwardness of the lower latency settings is dropping out of the sound)

16 samples hit the sweet spot ! – organic, detailed, smooth and engaging. The surprising thing was just how sensitive getting the sound right was to SFS setting. I had to spend a lot of time on SFS at each latency to get the best sound. In the end I was making changes of 1 and 2 Mb and getting subtle but very important changes in the sound. The end result is all the Adaptive quality but with the resolving power and wonderful presence of Special Mode.

I know you are a fan of Adaptive Mode but it may be that the OS changes enable Special Mode to do this.
Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 11:10:05 am »

Hi Nick - Thanks.

On the Special Mode : I certainly think the OS (Vista) allows for this now. A bit difficult to judge for me, because the processor (spread !) power is different for me at the same time, although net that power (of one core) should be less compared to what I had.

Regarding sound changes, I wonder if your DAC electronics being so optimised means  that the OS changes do not make the same level of difference. If your electronics are well clocked and locked on the stream it might be your system has better tolerance to OS induced jitter and timing errors. Just thinking out loud.

Nah, don't think so;
It is more important (for me, or for you to get my "message") that I changed too many things within a too small period of time to really judge it to its merits. So, I'm not saying I don't hear the difference, all I'm saying is that I can't dedicate it to those "timing" tweaks. I just don't know !
BUT, as I said, it looks like I'm completely satisfied.

But also, like Flecko just pointed out in the other topic (With RAMDisk and Special Mode: Scheme 3 or Scheme 2 ?): change the Appointment Scheme and you again will know there's more to do (or again more to it).
Too many variables. haha.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 12:04:34 pm »

I know you are a fan of Adaptive Mode but it may be that the OS changes enable Special Mode to do this.

The issue I have with Special mode is that I can't use low buffer sizes - pretty much the whole point of using Special. You see, I've recently switched to using a Weiss AFI1 interface, which uses a firewire connection. I can't use it below 256 samples with Special and Quad Arc Prediction. (Even if I switched QAP off, I doubt I'd get down to 64 samples.) Certainly, my preference is Adaptive over Special-at-256-samples. In this respect, my RME card is much better - perhaps I should give it a go with Special mode...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »

Too many variables. haha.

I think this happened when you first introduced Q1... haha.

I don't want to sound like a broken record (pun intended), but this is why I've adopted my system of comparing the sound of playback to that of vinyl. But not in a haphazard way, rather a more systematic way. The method requires a good analogue source (I would love a top-end open-reel machine, but use instead a reasonably good turntable) and also a good ADC/DAC (fortunately, I have one of the best ever made).

So, here are the steps:
1. make a digital recording from a good LP (preferably 45rpm) - I usually make three different recordings at 16/44.1, 24/88.2 and 24/176.4
2. listen to the vinyl being played back through the ADC/DAC, set to one of the recording resolutions, say, 16/44.1
3. listen to the same resolution recording, in this case 16/44.1, being played back through XX
4. adjust parameters in XX until the playback sounds as close to vinyl as possible

It sounds like I'm doing AB comparisons, but I'm not (actually, switching between DAC and ADC modes on the Model Two takes a few seconds). In any event, I tend to play a whole track one way and then listen to it again the other way.

Now, I concede that this is not a totally scientific way of doing things (e.g. is the vinyl source good enough?, is the recording software good enough?, is the rest of my system up to resolving any minor nuances?, etc) BUT...

... I would have gone mad changing all the XX parameters ad infinitum were it not for this method. My method lets me know where I am now and how far I still have to go.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:58 pm »

Hmm ... Back on Adaptive Mode here ...
I won't change my sig yet, but there's too much that still sounds "stressy" here, and I can't miss the bass ... no

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2010, 09:28:35 pm »

Hi guys,

Finally I tried this tweak on my machine and I'm not sure if like it. I get more details and clarity but I got a feeling that the sound is somehow sharp/bright. I have to listen more and maybe fine-tune Nick's recommended settings.

Thanks a lot for your effort Nick!

Cheers
Marcin

-EDIT

I hope that Peter's announcement about fixing the SFS is going to do the trick, because I like the increased level of details, deeper soundstage, but I miss the body and punch. Now I can listen at about 20% louder levels whitout any sense of fatigue, which is a good thing  (I guess).

-EDIT2

Nick, so what's your present XXHE settings (Q1, buffer size and SFS)?
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:21 pm »

Nick, so what's your present XXHE settings (Q1, buffer size and SFS)?

Marcin hi,

I have updated my signature after reading Mani's reminder  Happy

EDIT

SFS is at 83 at the moment for me which gives a balance of detail without sound becoming too thin. Sounds like Peter has some suprises for us though regarding SFS  Happy

EDIT

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »

Thanks, maybe increasing the buffer size is a good thing now, I'll check that.
I have to tell you, that after playing with IRQ affinity tool, I checked my sound card resources in device manager and I was amazed to see that it uses dedicated IRQ now - 11. (previously 23). I'm not sure it was the IRQ affinity settings though, because I haven't checked the IRQ of my card for a while now and in the mean time I applied a lot of tweaks, including disabling the whole bunch of devices - 'regular', system and hidden.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2010, 12:10:27 am »

Marcin,

Weird but good news.

Out of interest you use PCI Lock (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > System configuration > Boot > Advanced Options)

http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bootini_419v.htm

Nick.

Audio PC

Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:17 am »

No, I don't use it, I tried it, but didn't work. Windows assigned virtual IRQ to my sound card at first startup and I couldn't do anything about it.
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2010, 12:45:26 pm »

After many hours of listening, I'm disappointed with these affinity tweaks. The sound is to bright. I went back to my reference settings and the magic is back Happy

IRQ8Priority=1
Win32Separation=28(40)

I tried IRQ11Priority, which is the IRQ of my sound card, but I didn't like the sound. (of course not parallel with Nick's affinity tweaks)
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2010, 06:46:59 am »

I wouldn't be myself if I hadn't checked this again - yep, I'm crazy  grazy Anyway, this time I decided not to stick to Nick's settings and went a little bit wild applying almost everything to CPU0 (I left CPU, motherboard resources untouched though) and for sound card as well as PCI bus, I set mask to use two cores.  The result exceeded my expectations. So many details, but what struck me the most was the level of background information. I was listening to Diana Krall (24/96) and I couldn't believe my ears, I asked myself - 'is this noise'? Yep, noise from a mic is very clear now, later I played other hi-resolution stuff and I got the same feeling. This time nothing sharp about the sound. I think these settings could be fine-tuned, but I have to do a little research or perhaps you could tell me, what devices 'need  juice' during XXHE playback for PCI card. Maybe 'ati i/o communications processor pci bus controller'?

Cheers,
Marcin
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

Referring to this post : IRQ and Cores (look at the first picture in there) ...

I changed nothing to anything, except for that I changed the soundcard from PCI slot, that by itself causing the driver to (automatically) reinstall.
Now the driver is running in the 4th core, while before it was in the 3rd.

This will (?) tell that there's some "division" of Cores over PCI dealt-with slots, which may go over (via) the interrupt assignment to PCI slots.
Fact is, that if we are as far that the IRQ stuff for the soundcard (and/or the possibly related Core the driver code runs in) matters for SQ - the PCI slot used will matter to sound quality. Maybe if I change the card to another slot again, it will run in the same Core as the Sound Engine runs in ?

Anyway, where I said earlier that all automatically goes "just as I want with 4 Cores", this can't be said anymore.
This definitely makes the IRQ subject an important subject (again).

Peter

* Driver13.png (2.47 KB, 827x129 - viewed 1021 times.)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2010, 03:01:30 pm »

And from my experience once you apply your own affinity settings, there is no guarantee that system asign that same values if you decide to go back and remove your masks. I could swear that after messing with that settings, going back resulted in different sound.
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2010, 03:37:07 pm »

This will (?) tell that there's some "division" of Cores over PCI dealt-with slots, which may go over (via) the interrupt assignment to PCI slots.

Cores are oblivious to both slots & interrupts.

AFAIK every PCI slot has multiple interrupts assigned (think 4) and each PCI card can use as many as it needs. But those interrupts are not what you see in OS. Hardware PCI IRQs are mapped via IRQ router on your motherboard into IRQs you see in OS.

In theory, you may be able to fix PCI IRQs mappings from your BIOS but that is not guaranteed to work as Windows is Plug-n-Play OS and can shift IRQs around as it sees fit. You may try disabling PnP of course, but that could lead to all kinds of other problems and in any case there is no need for any of this.

I may be wrong on some of the above (not my field) but it really is not that important for our needs as there is not much we can do about that process except to keep in mind that different PCI slots by design get mapped to different IRQs (as you just found out) so if you move stuff inside your machine you may need to re-visit Interrupt Affinity tool.

What is important from our perspective is where IRQs are handled in the end as, by they nature, they will _interrupt_ anything that is going on at the moment. And we probably don't want music player process being interrupted just when it is busy filling sound card's buffer especially if we are using ultra low latency do we?...
What follows is that higher latencies (=Adaptive mode) may not be as much affected as Special mode (may not even be perceptible although I believe it is) but as a matter of principle it makes sense to move everything possible out of time-sensitive process i.e. particular CPU core.

Since Windows by default will not give any guarantee which CPU will handle particular IRQs (as it tries to balance it out evenly between cores theoretically it could even switch it _during_ playback) that is the reason why we need Interrupt Affinity tool: to bring order to chaos and make sure time-sensitive things are not needlessly interrupted all the time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: