XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 01:52:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ChangeWP problems with Vista install  (Read 22458 times)
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

BTW Peter, I have the privilege of obtaining the Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter and Web (x64) from my company.

Is this version good to go?
Thanks

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:27:25 pm »

No !!
That's the W7 version. unhappy
(unless you want that of course). You'll need R1 (if it is called like that), or just the first W2008. I'm not sure about service packs; maybe one exists, if it's only not leading to that R2 version.

2. As far as I remember, the "... stop service" issue started after I ran on Vista. I don't think I had ever encountered this issue on W7. But the point is that this ... stop working things got right into W7 environment even without XX installed in it.

Sorry for the maybe stupid question ... but is this just similar to Vista and e.g. the Spooler service "stopped working" - hence all kind of services shutting down which actually don't harm (apart from maybe those which do harm you) ?
... not that I can do anything with the answer, but it's just so strange ...
And is this without any "tweaking" to W7 ?

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 07:16:09 am »

Hi again Praphan,

Your situation feels (not from logic just a sense) to be very similar to mine. There is however a little logic involved. Something is going on pre operating system and possibly pre almost everything, like right after the BIOS. That's how it can effect both OS's. Now what that could be, I don't know. But what seems possible (in terms of a thought experiment) is that the crashing of XX--or something else, affected some very odd little thing that happens at a very early stage of boot-up. It must be extremely early because in my case anyway I wouldn't even get an error beep, or to memory check, the computer just started and hung immediately. And the bios thing I mentioned (entering and exiting the bios and saving without making changes), what can that possibly do, and yet suddenly I could get on and everything was fine.

I say all this seemingly nonsensical stuff thinking more of my troubles than yours (but since yours "feel" very similar [they also revolve around XX, and only made their appearance after using XX, happen very early in the boot cycle, lead to blue screens and/or seemingly endless waits, not to mention that the problems you had with XX when it was working to some degree were also similar etc.) I even went through the same thoughts and updates re video card and drivers, audio drivers and searched the earth for the latest. Nothing helped, there were no apparent problems with any hardware.

By the way, if I connect that usb device I still can't boot, but I now know just to disconnect it and start over. It's also interesting that when I reboot in that situation I just have to brush the on/off button and it shuts off immediately, as if it's saying "what took you so long, clown." Usually when you shut the PC down you have to hold the button for a few seconds. Anyway, the problem was that before I'd figured out about the usb device and the anti-malware service part of Microsoft Security Essentials, things would interact (I assume) and the blue screen would show-up and I would have the same problems as you have with no clue as to what was happening. I just lucked into the BIOS cure because I was going there so often to try different settings.

With all this I'm kind of thinking out loud, and trying to give you as much info as possible. I keep going back to the thought that your computer is running into something unrecognized and is stumped in a sense. I was playing around with a different computer today, trying to find a way to convert the audio track of some DVD/DVD-As to just audio (flac or mp3) and while doing so, suddenly the DVD drive would disappear, or it would show just one file. in other words it suddenly became an unrecognized device, or partially incorrectly recognized. I'm thinking something like that happened to something on your system that screws things up when you try to re-boot and possibly also sends you to the blue screen when it interacts with something else.

So, I'd definitely try the bios thing, just to see. But if somewhere there's an unknown or unrecognized device (or your system thinks there is) that is hanging up your system.... and it's hidden. I'd try uninstalling every thing that has or should have a device driver, one at a time, or maybe better yet as many as you can at once and than reinstall one at a time.

Anyway, I wish you luck. I hope my rambling helps in some way. What a pain. Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 07:49:38 am »

Something I just very coincidentally ran into ...

First there's Nick's post here : http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1410.msg13703#msg13703
If you follow the link in there, there's a Next button in the top right corner. So I thought "what will that bring" and clicked it. This is what it brings : http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bootini_9b3n.htm.  An excerpt of it :

Establishes a port for EMS transmission. This statement appears in the boot loader section of the boot.ini file and applies to all boot entries on the computer.

This tells me that at least it is possible to impeed "a" setting to spread over several boots. Whether this updates all the boot.ini's or there's a general one somewhere (unlikely ?) I don't know, but if the latter, you might be stuck with it until you low-level format the disk.

And we DID apply such a command ... about DEP. (http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1398.msg13494#msg13494)
Maybe that too spreads over OSes (to be born haha).

A cause or not, maybe good to keep in mind anyway.
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 08:02:15 am »

From that same website :

Drivers developers and testers often have to add, delete, and change the parameters of boot entries to test their drivers under variable conditions. This section describes a few common scenarios and suggests strategies for configuring boot parameters in the boot.ini file and in NVRAM.

Non volatile RAM eh ... (but probably here the BIOS is referred to).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 05:18:17 pm »

Hi Christ and Peter,

Thanks for your thoughts about my situation and advise.  Uhmmm... pretty technical for me but I will try to go back step by step to think about what went wrong.

One thing for sure now is that Lynx card is not  the cause of the  problem. I had it  removed from the mobo and the  stop working  thing still exists.    Happy What a relief ! I can buy new mobo or graphic card to fix the issue , but not the Lynx card.

Tomorrow I will remove graphic card and use the onboard standard VGA to see what happen.  If it run without ... stop working.. or BSOD, then might be the graphic card driver conflict with XX.

For your information, I use 'driver sweeper' to totally clean drivers to make sure there is no left over whatsoever.

I will try to help myself as much as I can and report back soon.

Thank  you so much again.
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 06:37:58 pm »

Problem with ATI HD5770 + W7 that crashes XX

Hi Christ and Peter,

Now I am ready to report back my situation. I finally have my issues fixed under W7 environment. I haven't had Vista reinstalled yet. My problem is not related to the Vista and change WP at all. But rather the compatibility problem between display driver and W7. It doesn't occur to all PC but some selected one for unknown reason and I was the unlucky one. I found this from the step recommended by you two. What had I done is quite simple but I would like to share my findings here so those who might have the same problem as mine can save time to fix it. Here you go:

1. As I mentioned in my last post, I have reinstalled W7 from scratch , then installed mobo, ATI HD 5770 , Lynx card drivers as well as flash BIOS with latest version. After rebooting, my PC went into BSOD.

2. Then I shoot back to the point where I haven't installed any drivers by using both unstallation tools under "control panel". But to make sure that these drivers were completely cleaned up, I used "driver sweeper" (freeware from Guru3D). Just a note for those who never use this sweeper, make sure that you reboot the system into fail safe mode (hit F8 right after system loading OS) then run driver sweep and check all the drivers that you want to remove then clean. In my case, I removed Lynx, ATI HD 5770 drivers.

3. As my BSOD jumps across OS, so Christ observation is right that there must be something wrong inherited in the boot.int file. How to clear this? I did a very simple dummy way. Just open the PC case, then remove battery on the mobo to reset BIOS (you can use jumper to short it as well). Note that I used to flash the BIOS. By doing this I brought mobo back to the default BIOS. This brought my PC back to the point as if I just finished installation of W7 on new hardware.

4.  Now reinstalling Lynx card driver first. Then shut down and turn on PC again. No problem. In my case, shut down =\ restart. Then instead of reinstalling the ATI display driver right away. I took time to google "ATI HD 5770 driver problem with Windows 7". Wow ! I am not alone. Tons of people having the same BSOD like me. The driver that has problem with W7 start from 10.3 to 10.9. The one that I always use is 10.9.

5. I was about to download ATI driver version 10.2 but luckily ATI just released a new 10.10 on that date. Release note implied driver conflict is resolved.

6. After installing ATI display driver version 10.10 and reboot, thanks god, system start normally. Then I went on to install all the applications that I need including XXHE. After 2 days test, the system has run smoothly and stably. A side note to user of ATI HD 5770, you should disable Catalyst AI (open CCC => Advance => Graphics => 3D => All => check "Disable Catalyst AI ).

My system is now pretty stable. Running XX , Power DVD, ripping CD and surfing the net all at the same time without problem.

My next action is to install Vista.

Peter, I have licences for both Vista Business 64bit and Windows Server 2008 64 bit. What do you recommend me to install?

Thanks,

Praphan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »

Who says you should ask questions to us ? We should be calling you !!
haha.
Man, good you solved it all, and what a good feeling it must give you (ok, in the end) that you did it yourself. Great.

Before I would have said go W2008 (not R2) - which I actually did, but regarding the post from Josef from today (Re: Installing Win2008 info) ... I guess Josef is right. It *will* be more stable, but only because without doing something yourself it will be. With Vista you can reach the same (well, theoretically because you'd have to know what to "kill" in order to get to the (stripped) W2008 version).

Also don't underestimate the steep price for such a server version (I never realized this so much).

Btw, regarding Vista 64 bit, take care you get SP1 at least.

Regards now,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 02:26:08 am »

Hi Peter,

I would be happy to talk to you guys if you actually call me in Bangkok !   Happy If you guys are happened to be here in this part of the world, I am happy to host a decent super spicy Thai lunch.  Wink  You will need to bring a fire extinguisher with you haha.

I still have some slight instability though. it happened after an overnight shut down (by physically swith off the power supply as well). With the first boot, ... services stop working randomly. Easily fixed by just *shuting down* the PC and press the power button to reboot again then the system will run normally. I must shut down not restart. I am still scratching my head for this. So weird !!

Yes I have Windows Server 2008 (I can get R2 though) which is Vista based. I got it free from my company. very happy On Vista 64bit, I also downloaded SP1 as well.

I guess I will go for the Server 2008 as it requires less work to strip it down to bare bone.

Thanks
Praphan

crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 03:09:48 am »

Hi Praphan,

Glad things are working better, although I bet you're still a bit worried about the services thing and what else might happen. I would be given the unexplained nature of the problems. The shutdown vs. reboot thing sounds eerily similar to the enter BIOS but don't make changes thing; it doesn't promote relaxed computing.

From what I've read here, if you're going Win2008 you should stick with the original sp1 version if you can. Good luck.

I love hot food by the way, the Mexican green chili heat in particular.

Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:10 am »

Hi Chris,

The ... service stop runnning things are harmless to me now. Just a jitter.

Thanks for your guide anyway. I owed you a lunch if you are coming to BKK. I have never tried Maxican chili myself but my children did. It is no where near the Thai small green/red chili called "Prik Kee Noo". It is too hot even for me.

Cheers!
Praphan

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: