XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 28, 2024, 11:45:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: where to attenuate?  (Read 27336 times)
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:07:45 am »

I ve got now the HiFace (JKenny MK2 RCA model) and am very satisfied with it.
Wanted to get some clarification about attenuation:

• First, there is XX with its digital volume control - so if I decrease it does it attenuates the signal?
    Next, the HiFace RCA and my DAC's RCA connection - I now I can try those inline attenuators, but....
    Afterwards, my DAC has a volume control potentiometer allowing to control level from -10dBV....+8dBV, so can I attenuate here?
What I actually did try is I decreased DAC's volume at about 1/3 and now I feel softer sound, but I need to turn my amp's volume a bit more.
As I understand if my DAC's volume is at 2/3 of max, then my amp receives < +8dBV.

So, just wanted to ask opinions on attenuation strategy: is it better to do in digital domain, in analog or in both???

Ivo

Music on internal HDD in FLAC-->LatestXX in QAP + PeakExt Mode[KS,Adaptive,2048,Q1=14,xQ1=1,Sch3,Low,Realtime,15 ms, SFS 2-400, Straight, stop all, MinOS]-->Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64bit-->Intel i5 based laptop [8 GB RAM]-->JKDAC32(HiFace based USB-I2S-DAC)-->Denon PMA-1500AE-->JBL E90 3-way speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:27:06 am »

Since you have the volume on the DAC, I don't think it can be avoided. Unless there's a switch to shut it off (but the switch will still be in the signal -> ok never mind), or better : when you have separate outputs without Volume Control. That *not* assumed :

Just use the VC on the DAC. The damage is done there anyway, and there's no need to add any "damage" elsewhere.

What I actually did try is I decreased DAC's volume at about 1/3 and now I feel softer sound, but I need to turn my amp's volume a bit more.

I hope this didn't come as a surprise to you. Happy
But it also shows you have *another* volume. Oh boy. Do you ever know (or accept to know) how much better your current sound can be ? I'm sure not many will admit this, but I think I have been working on this subject for too long to know how it already influences measurement results. But merely, the really one second notice on lost dynamics. Dead birds.

Using the digital volume from XXHighEnd does not harm at all, if you're only attenuating less than 48dB for CD material and can output in 24 bits.
On this matter : there was a day that I advised the combination of digital attenuation and analogue attenuation, just because both work differently (in physics). Although this still is the case, the analogue volume is just too lousy. But be careful at "removing" it, because now your DAC will be more audible. If that isn't "100%", the net result may be worse.

As I understand if my DAC's volume is at 2/3 of max, then my amp receives < +8dBV.

Of course. But if you('d only) digitally attenuate, the same happens.

Btw, assuming the +8dBV of the DAC does not worsen the S/N ratio of the DAC (which may not be true at all), using that will make the inherent S/N of your amp *better*. It doesn't has to amplify as much, so it won't amplify its own noise as well.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:58:06 am »

Next, the HiFace RCA and my DAC's RCA connection - I now I can try those inline attenuators, but....

I guess these are the attenuators for the SPDIF-signal which lower the voltage at the output of the hiFace.
They don't change the soundlevel but only take care that the to high signal of the hiFace does not overload your DACs input.
On top of that they can lower the absolute level of reflected signals and in that way lower jitter.
So nothing to do with the soundvolume but worth a try to see if it sounds better.

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:31:19 pm »

1) As I understand then keeping DAC's volume control at max is not advisable as it may lower the S/N ratio at its output to amp?

2) Also, it would be even better to combine the SPDIF in line attenuators + lower the level of DAC's volume, right?

BTW, what is the HiFace output voltage and how can I determine if it is overloading my DAC's input? Can I calculate that somehow?

Ivo

Music on internal HDD in FLAC-->LatestXX in QAP + PeakExt Mode[KS,Adaptive,2048,Q1=14,xQ1=1,Sch3,Low,Realtime,15 ms, SFS 2-400, Straight, stop all, MinOS]-->Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64bit-->Intel i5 based laptop [8 GB RAM]-->JKDAC32(HiFace based USB-I2S-DAC)-->Denon PMA-1500AE-->JBL E90 3-way speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:42:13 pm »

I'll ket #2 to Gerard. Happy

1) As I understand then keeping DAC's volume control at max is not advisable as it may lower the S/N ratio at its output to amp?

No ...
The other way around.

Suppose the DAC's S/N is 100dB. Lowering its output will normally make it e.g. 80dB (that's worse).
If you amplify the latter, the fed 80dB won't change. So, always wrong to do.

But what I was saying is :
S/N of the amp may be 90dB. But, this is at full output. Lowering the output will make the S/N worse, and maybe can get to 60dB. So, unrelated to what it's fed with, the lower the volume the worse S/N. And thus, the higher the output the better it will be.
Unless ...

Unless your amp has so much noise that the noise is audible as such. Thus, when you do not attenuate, and noise is blasting through the room, better attenuate at the amp. S/N ratio will be worse, but you will attenuate the noise as well.

BTW, what is the HiFace output voltage and how can I determine if it is overloading my DAC's input? Can I calculate that somehow?

Although for Gerard maybe, but just in case he doesn't come up with my smart answer Fishy the JKenny mod just already prevented that (and is partly explicitly for that).
Output level of the HiFace just *is* too high; you don't need to measure it (IIRC 2 Volts or so, while it should be 0.6 (??)).

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:09:10 pm »

So, my DAC's Dynamic Range is 123 dB from here http://www.audiotrack.net/products/DRDAC2DX/spec/
My amp's S/N at high level is 105 dB from here http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ArchProd_Specs&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=2599&type=amp&arch=1

So, I guess if I decrease a little the DAC's volume I will move down from 123 dB at its output to amp AND if I increase amp's volume I will be moving up to 105 dB? Maybe I am wrong, just thinking....

Anyway, if I listen music over my headphones (plugged into amp) I hear more 3D, the soundstage is deeper and it is clearer, no harsh at high levels....

I guess all will change when I try those RCA inline attenuators

Thanks you guys for clarifying...

Ivo 

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:01:16 pm »

Ivo, one more thing : Dynamic Range is unrelated to Noise (hence S/N).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:50 am »

Ivo,
Glad you're liking the MK2 Hiface. I'm interested in how you find the Rf attenuators.

As I said via email, I believe volume attenuation is best done in the analogue domain. Done in the digital domain you are losing bits & hence resolution!
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:53:26 am »

Done in the digital domain you are losing bits & hence resolution!

naughty

Not with redbook material, a 24 bit DAC and XX.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:06:41 am »

Done in the digital domain you are losing bits & hence resolution!

naughty

Not with redbook material, a 24 bit DAC and XX.
Agreed Yes, but Ivo was talking about reducing his DAC vol control to 1/3 at the top of page & I think (but I'm not sure) he is still not operating at DAC max vol ?

Also will he never want to listen to High-res material?
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:11 pm »

So, I did look for RF attenuators and did not find anything here where I live.
Then I searched in ebay - got only expensive ones, the cheap ones just not shipping to my place, so currently no attenuators.
Will look for them sometimes later again... Wink

Regarding the DAC volume - after various experiments I ended up with my DAC's volume at 15:00, which is around 75% of max in my case.

Ivo

jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 11:14:13 pm »

You're in Latvia, right? Have a look at the international sales reps here http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/irep.html#ge
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 12:22:10 am »

Very nice, so we can all order them!
One question, is it better to have one of 20 DB or two of 9 dB at both sides of the cable?

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
jkeny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 12:27:21 am »

Very nice, so we can all order them!
One question, is it better to have one of 20 DB or two of 9 dB at both sides of the cable?
Of course, you could always have ordered them - as I said $12 or so + shipping.
I don't know which is better - it seems not to make any difference in practice!
gonzalito
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:50 pm »

I was just about to ask a similar question:

In my case, I have 4 volume controls to manage:

1) Prodigy HD2 driver volume setting
2) Windows 7 volume setting
3) Player (XX o whatever) volume control
4) Amplifier volume control

In which % would you set each volume?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.-

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Xtreme > SSV Audio PURE Interconnects > Topping TP20 > BlueJeans 5T00UP cables > Accorde Mentor speakers
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: