XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 26, 2024, 07:43:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Does Some High Rez Sound So Bad?  (Read 59715 times)
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »

Steely Dan - Gaucho

But Pedal did you compared those to the normal 16/44 version or the mfsl version. (with ARC)

Frankly I didn't spend too much time going backwards listening/re-listening on everything. Too little time, too much music and too many plans in order to cover everything!

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:01 pm »

This topic is not over,

For now there are only a handfull of great quality Hi-Rez recordings.
Against thousends of 16/44 albums, which do sound great with ARC.

The future will bring us indeed better recordings.

I would love to hear my ambient stuff directly from 24/96 master, think about it.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 06:26:00 pm »

Steely Dan - Gaucho

But Pedal did you compared those to the normal 16/44 version or the mfsl version. (with ARC)

Frankly I didn't spend too much time going backwards listening/re-listening on everything. Too little time, too much music and too many plans in order to cover everything!

Sorry guy's to interrupt.

I really read this with much intrest and Pedal came up with some nice figures! which i do not undersand but Peter and Roy may.

Pedal not to offend you but Roy offered you something and now i have the feeling you retreat a bit. You can atleast accept them and make such figures when you have a bit of time.

Please do not get me wrong but i really dont want his topic to be over! It is very interesting!

Gerard  Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 06:28:12 pm »

This may not be all that much related to anyone's imporessions, but merely the "inexperience". I mean, once at last have a DAC which doesn't touch the sound (or at least the least possible), it is logical to play all the hires you have or can get and next think it sounds good. And I don't say it doesn't, but I do say that chance is under 5% that it sounds better than the red book version of the same. Let's not forget that I'm "doing" this for two years now and with the over 300 hires albums I have here - can make some comparisons. And, of utmost importance (I'm sure you will believe that) is that the NOS1 allows to compare with all electrically 100% the same (no other DAC will do that). So, a 24/176.4 album will be electrically played 100% the same as the 16/44.1 version upsampled to 24/176.4. This incluses the driver setting and further buffers. But use proper filtering (which in the end means ... well, you know that too - from theory).

I respectfully disagree. My 24/176.4 recordings played back on the Model Two sound much closer to the vinyl source than my 16/44.1 recordings upsampled by XX and played back either on the Model Two (with QAP) or the NOS1 (with OAP).

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 06:36:36 pm »

BTW: I loved the CD of Frank Sinatra At The Sands. I bought the DVD-A €80/eBay with big expectations after reading glowing reviews. The problem is that DVD-A reviews are mostly based on the multichannel content, which often is freshly remixed and very good. The stereo mix might be old (as with Gaucho) OR some studio idiot just pushed a button to convert the 5.1 into 2.0. Which normally is manifested by a typical weak vocal. The vocal is too low in the mix. I hear it on Frank Sinatra/At The Sands, Yes/Fragile (some tracks, some tracks not) and some others I can remember right now.

My plan (dream) is to make my own downmix with +a few dB of the front channel, boosting the vocal part a bit on those albums. The center channel is normally occupied by the lead vocal.

Pedal I hope you dont mind putting this on forum (from a PM)

Ofcourse you can make your own mix.

But in the 5.1 mixing, indeed vocals are mixed in the center speaker.
So if you just take the fr L and fr R, you will loose LOTS of the vocal.
And if you filter those again, it will never become any better. (well maybe if you know the mastering details, but still)

Because I am on all torrent trackers, I get more info than most have when buying original.
Its stupid but just the case.

If they sell so-claimed hirez recordings for sometimes HI prices, you should expect somewhat more info
on the particular recording.

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »

Steely Dan - Gaucho

I really read this with much intrest and Pedal came up with some nice figures! which i do not undersand but Peter and Roy may.

Pedal not to offend you but Roy offered you something and now i have the feeling you retreat. You can atleast accept them and make such figures when you have a bit of time.

Please do not get me wrong but i really dont want his topic to be over! It is very intereseting!

Gerard  Happy

No worry Gerard he (we) will, (PM)

I completly trust his experience on this, but i need to upload the albums first, haha

Low-pass filtering means: It will let thru the lower frequencies up till 20Khz, above that all is filtered.
While the 16/44 should run to 100Khz theoraticly (well short story)

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 06:52:11 pm »

Ok i will be reading this with much interest! And really Pedal i can not look into your agenda or have something to say about that but it was  a bit.... Well you now.  Wink Me shutting up now!  Wink

Happy

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Pedal not to offend you but Roy offered you something and now i have the feeling you retreat. You can atleast accept them and make such figures when you have a bit of time.

Please do not get me wrong but i really dont want his topic to be over! It is very intereseting!

Gerard  Happy

No worry Gerard he (we) will, (PM)

I completly trust his experience on this, but i need to upload the albums first, haha

Low-pass filtering means: It will let thru the lower frequencies up till 20Khz, above that all is filtered.
While the 16/44 should run to 100Khz theoraticly (well short story)

Roy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

Talking about mastering issues,

Take Pink Floyd for example..........haha

I think i have of every album, 3-8 mastering versions (not talking about hirez (or de-emph), just red book)

What a hobby we have......... Wink

http://www.pinkfloydarchives.com/discTOC.htm

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »

Ok i will be reading this with much interest! And really Pedal i can not look into your agenda or have something to say about that but it was  a bit.... Well you now.  Wink Me shutting up now!  Wink

Hi Gerard,
I didn't understand your writing 100% but I believe it was all in the best meaning! (The price we pay when both writes in a non-native language).

This is a very interesting thread for me. As a contributing writer to the Scandinavian magazine FIDELITY, I have done quite a lot of research while working on a lengthy Hi-rez feature article. For that reason I have something to bring to the table, while also picking up new things and ideas from fellow enthusiasts here at the forum.

Roy and I have a parallell dialog in private, since sharing files is not a public topic, even if it is only for the purpose of "research and testing", he-he.

All the best!

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:01 pm »

Hi Pedal,

This could become very interresting, indeed.
Give me time to put some albums next to each other.

I'am now listening to Steely Dan - Gaucho normal vs mfsl.

So far the normal version sounds better.

But I suggest we take some time for this before jump to conclusions
 Happy

PS: after Microsoft listened to "us" maybe the music industry will too (eventually)............hahahaha

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 07:50:30 pm »

Pedal,

Then really sorry i misread what you have written. Please take my post for not written.

Happy  friends

Hi Gerard,
I didn't understand your writing 100% but I believe it was all in the best meaning! (The price we pay when both writes in a non-native language).

This is a very interesting thread for me. As a contributing writer to the Scandinavian magazine FIDELITY, I have done quite a lot of research while working on a lengthy Hi-rez feature article. For that reason I have something to bring to the table, while also picking up new things and ideas from fellow enthusiasts here at the forum.

Roy and I have a parallell dialog in private, since sharing files is not a public topic, even if it is only for the purpose of "research and testing", he-he.

All the best!

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »

The problem with remasters is that the sound is compressed, that could be received as better.
But you loose the higher dynamics, while it maybe sound a bit colder, I still go for dynamics.

So its still personal preference

But I swear you, some filtering that is used in remasters is not good, at all.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 08:22:44 pm »

I respectfully disagree.

Mani, I as respectfully agree with you. But the problem is (I think) that you know what to use / play for these comparisons, while my 300+ hires albums will (still) contain that as 5% of it. I hope I can make myself clear. I mean, the three of us (me, Roy, Telstar) spend quite some afternoon on finding albums of which I have both red book and hires, and we found exactly ONE which sounded better. But as said, you are way more deep into what to choose (PM related !), which I (we) can't.

But let me confuse you all;
Because the Crown Imperial was still in the playlist from this afternoon, I am now sonically testing a still brit(-ish haha) DAC with just that, and besides the first track by chance tore the house down (organ), it sounds great. Now what ? Well, I think I know. It is W7 related, and I guess I will write about it somewhere else.
Found out some things yesterday ...

And for Roy : remember how surprised I was it did not sound at all ?
There just seems to be more to everything.

Let the Pedals be right !
... for now ...  Happy

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:49 pm »

And for Roy : remember how surprised I was it did not sound at all ?
There just seems to be more to everything.

Let the Pedals be right !
... for now ...  Happy
Yes, I was surprised too,.... could this be somethings else
Good things come from this, i hope

Its still an open discussion for a long time now

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:12 pm »

Just listened the albym throughout ... Plainly superb.
Hoax or not.

This is what I meant : A strange thing I changed my mind upon.

Life is full of uncertainties.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: