XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 07:14:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Higher Sampling Rate -> Higher THD+N!  (Read 8890 times)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:29:24 pm »

I have found something interesting for all people not using the NOS1 or an upsampling DAC. The picture below shows a graph that shows distortion of the PCM1794A for different sample rates over room temperature. The interesting thing is, that with higher sampling rate, the distortion increases! This is not what most would expect. I looked in the specs of the PCM1704 and it also produces higher distortion with higher sampling frequency. This may explain my prefered setting of 44Khz. There are for sure advantages of higher sampling rates but I gues if you like to benefit from it, the DAC must be designed to this frequency [Example: A possibility would be to use a "softer" filter with higher sample frequency. So less phase shift is produced]. And one can imagine, if your dac will produce higher distortion with higher sample rate, your cable and your usb device/soundcard might do this too! Higher frequencies means higer energies and more stress to the components. So if you got a normal OS dac, a soundcard or something else that is not the NOS1 or an upsampling dac, it can be better to use the native sampling frequency, because that is what your dac will be tuned to (worst case cenario). [And also ArcPred should not be used, it creates additional distortion if you have no NOS (Peter please corect me if I am wrong but I think you wrote this somewhere else).]

* THDN_Temp.png (33.19 KB, 612x650 - viewed 1314 times.)

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:57:02 am »

Hi there Adrian,

I looked in the specs of the PCM1704 and it also produces higher distortion with higher sampling frequency.

I am not aware of this, nor do I measure it ! So, where is this to be found ? (page of the datasheet)

Further ... it would be a kind of logical I think; The more the chip has to process within a time unit, the harder it gets. But you just said that yourself.

Another thing maybe - personally I would not know how to interpret (or test) a chip to these kind of merits. And then I mean, test it at different sample rates for THD(+N). This is because the lower sample rate just bears inherently more distortion. But I don't know everything, so maybe never mind that one.

May it help : I measure not any difference between 192 and 384, while my analyser won't sample beyond 192. So, it keeps on sampling at 192 never mind the resolution is 384 in the mean time, and I'd think if this were true for the NOS1, figures would drop.
And also : maybe when measuring 48 output (or 44.1) figures would be relatively better, but this is masked by the low output sample rate. Well, you have seen the plots in the other topic I think; there's no escape from that, i.e. the chip possibly performing better at that rate is masked all over with the "bad" output. Still it would make sense.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:14 am »

I am not aware of this, nor do I measure it ! So, where is this to be found ? (page of the datasheet)
Sorry, was a mistake. I misinterpreted the table on the first page. Nevertheless, the behavior of the PCM1704 could be the same as the PCM1794A.

Another thing maybe - personally I would not know how to interpret (or test) a chip to these kind of merits. And then I mean, test it at different sample rates for THD(+N). This is because the lower sample rate just bears inherently more distortion. But I don't know everything, so maybe never mind that one.
Measuring conditions were the same for all three sample rates according to the PCM1794A datasheet. THD+N is proportional to the sample rate, (table of page 3). 
May it help : I measure not any difference between 192 and 384, while my analyser won't sample beyond 192. So, it keeps on sampling at 192 never mind the resolution is 384 in the mean time, and I'd think if this were true for the NOS1, figures would drop.
In the case of PCM1794A, there is always 8x oversampling used. What bb has measured is for systemclock>352. But THD+N could go down for even lower systemclock!? unsure I don't know how to measure THD+N but shouldn't it be possible to meassure it for a certain frequency range (20-20k Hz), while sample rates are different (like they did in the bb sheet)? Thinking about it, it seems strange if there were the absolute same THD+N for different systemclocks.

And also : maybe when measuring 48 output (or 44.1) figures would be relatively better, but this is masked by the low output sample rate. Well, you have seen the plots in the other topic I think; there's no escape from that, i.e. the chip possibly performing better at that rate is masked all over with the "bad" output. Still it would make sense.
I think in the case of NOS1, it should be good with high fs, because the "upsampling" is part of the filter. It could get worse if the filter is designed for 44.1, and you just double to 88.2 without consider that in the filter. But I don't know how the doubling is done. I am speculating very muche here.

...time to sleep...

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: