XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 16, 2024, 06:23:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eva Cassidy and other profoundly serious Sunday stuff:  (Read 9326 times)
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »

Blix Records recently released a new Eva offering called "Simply Eva". They are demos or initial recordings of just eva and her guitar that apparently didn't make the cut. However, they are full of phrasing that were being considered. Not all the tracks are that good but Somewhere Over the Rainbow (except for the last note!--literally), True Colors, Time After Time and Autumn Leaves are all breathtaking.

Am leaving in an hour or so to hear the Philadelphia Orchestra's chamber music folks perform :
Koechlin - Four Little Pieces, Op. 32, for horn, violin, and piano
Brahms - Trio in E-flat major, Op. 40, for horn, violin, and piano
Beethoven - String Quartet No. 10 in E-flat major, Op. 74 ("

Seats are 2nd row center.......

This will be followed by the Superbowl where my team The Pittsburgh Steelers will be besting the Green Bay Packers--the Steelers are going for an unprecedented 7th championship ( fashioned "World" Championship here in the Us but, obviously, we exagerate).

But first: A trip to the liquor store to keep all going smoothly.....really, an unprecendented day!

* Folder.jpg (10.64 KB, 250x241 - viewed 903 times.)

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:32:34 am »

Boleary, I hope your Pittsburgh Steelers continue to best my Greenbay Packers year after year. Actually them Packers used to be mine, but now they're only second, to New England... but who's counting.

How was the concert? Who won?  Happy

Eva Cassidy is quite something. I only came across her maybe six months ago, and am truly glad I did. I find it so difficult to find good music (better said I guess would be, music I like). I'm so often convinced by reviews, official or consumer reviews on Amazon or the like, only to find that I don't agree with them at all.

I found Emusic is a good place for trying out stuff. You can basically buy an album track or three for 50 cents or so in mp3 format, usually at a pretty good compression ratio. That way I don't have to buy whole cds that I don't like. And if I find someone I really like, off to the cd store.

Recently I found Dar Williams, who I'd found before on "Cry, Cry, Cry," but not really paid attention to (I instead went for Richard Shindell who was also part of that album). She has some wonderful music. It is so full of heart, life and interesting lyrics. Green World and Mortal City are my favorites, others are spottier. Folk-rock.

For some reference, I like all kinds of music, classical, jazz, rock, etc. When it comes to rock/pop I'm just amazed by what reviewers and the like think is great music. On the other hand back when Led Zeppelin first came out, they all roundly panned them and now they're revered. I love Led Zep by the way, particularly the first two albums.

Hey, I'm just rambling on; it's the middle of the night or later, I can't see the clock from here. Feel free to ignore this. I'm just glad the Packers won, you should grant me that, because I didn't get to go to a concert or the liquor store.  blink

Champions of the World, really, yeah yeah, and God bless America (but not the rest of the world?). Isn't it depressing, really. Not the game, but the pomp and black eyed peas, and super serious analysis. Countless talking heads, discussing the merits of spreading them out and the 3 4 defense for hours and hours, day after day. And the huge sums spent on vapid entertainment when so much of the world is...  I love the game, but the rest is truly sickening.

Thank goodness for music, and lit, and a forum like this. Not maybe this particular late night note, but the spirit of this forum is unlike any other I've been part of.

Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »

Thanks Chris. 21 points off of turnovers: though Green Bay made plays when they had to, the Steelers beat themselves. Can't win 'em all so we look to next year. I'm just glad it was a decent game that could have gone either way till the end.

Totally agree that the hype around the game is downright shameful. Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy"? Super bowl hype is straight out of that film.

The concert was sublime. I'm really just now learning to appreciate and love classical music. I purchased a season pass to the season's chamber music offerings. 6 performances, 2nd row center at $23 a show. Unbelievable music experience for an unbelievable price. Its really a shame that this music is so under appreciated in the US. The venue is only ever half full.

If you like singer/songwriter stuff you should definitely listen to Patty Griffin. She's a female Bob Dylan who is a great guitar player with an amazing voice: not always a pleasing voice but extremely powerful and moving. She will definitely reveal any weakness in ones system's ability to deal with over the top treble, like a violin. Living with Ghosts is my favorite lyrics wise, though it's not recorded as well as her other records.

* Folder.jpg (203.78 KB, 500x500 - viewed 825 times.)

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:42:28 am »

No, I haven't seen the film "Idiocracy." Is it good, or just an example for the super bowl hype circumstance?

I used to go to concerts, classical and other, all the time, but now I live away from all live culture. I did love going, although I had a hard time lasting. I've always thought concerts were too long. Too much music at one time, or in one sitting. I understand the logistical concerns but that didn't stop me from struggling to stay awake after a while, especially when it was warm--which it often seemed to be. I do the same at home, but hey, not quite as disconcerting.

If you tell me what kind of classical music you like in particular I could give you some recommendations. If you like solo piano (or even if it doesn't particularly tickle your keys) you should get the 1981 or 80 as opposed to the 50's recording of the Gould Goldberg Variations (Bach). A piece I've listened to truly countless times. This recording in particular is superb. Interestingly, his 50's recording was played about twice as fast (break neck pace).

I'll have to check out Patty Griffin. I've heard her name but not much more.

Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
BrianG
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:07 am »

Gould - Goldberg Variations (Bach).

Thanks Chris, just listened to this on U-tube for the first time and have ordered a copy, thanks for the recommendation  Happy

Brian

January 5, 2011
*W7 64bit SP1 on SSD*, XX on 1.2GB RAMDisk (Copy to XX-drive = On), music on SATAII, i3-530 HT Off / Engine#4 *Special Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 16 (samples)/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 3* @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=100* @ *SFS.ini = 00* -> PC-to-I2S Driver latency 512 samples @352800 -> 24/384 Phasure NOS1 DAC -> pre-amp ->main amps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: