XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 19, 2024, 09:39:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gainclone heaven ?  (Read 375080 times)
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »

I know quite a lot of people on the forum are using Gainclones and high efficiency speakers so I thought I’d mention an experience I had setting up Gainclone amps this week end.

Some time ago when I built my amp I decided to build it with 4 Gainclone amp modules but I never go round to using all of these and have been driving my speakers with only two of the modules. The idea of having 4 modules was that I could configure the amp as parallel paired amps, bridged pairs, or run Bi-Amped into individual speaker drivers.

I finally go round to getting some extra speaker cable this week-end so I could Bi-Wire the speakers, then I set the outputs of the amp up to Bi-Amp the speakers using one Gainclone module per speaker driver (In fact the set up is really Tri-Amped because Avantguards have active bass already). Anyway the results were really very eye opening. Lots of "problems" that I had assumed were PC, OS, XX software or DAC related were just fixed.  love this

The experience made me rethink what I was doing to tune my system  scratching Before this I was assuming my focus should be in the PC and DAC. It turns out they were doing a pretty fantastic job all along and the Amps were the place to be looking. I hadn’t bothered with the amp side of things because general wisdom is that 1 gain clone per channel is great for high efficiency speakers that present an easy load. Now I’m really glad I spent the small amount of extra time and money needed to put the extra gain clone modules in to the amps. I would certainly recommend thinking about Bi-Amping if you are already using Gainclones.

The only downside is this could lead me down an expensive path that I hadn't intended to take. I always said to myself I would not go down the path of an XX software cross-over and a multi channel Phasure NOS1 when (if ?) Peter decides to develop this. With the Tri- Amping now in place and working so well, suddenly software crossovers look like the next logical step. Better start saving now !  Sad

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

Nick, hi there !

What I wonder in the mean time, is how you set this up really. To make clear what I mean, I better explain how I do it (not really my "invention" btw) :

So, I have (per channel) one GainClone and it's for the mid-high. In parallel output, that GainClone goes into the second amp which is for the Bass driver. However, in between there ("line"), there's the crossover for the Bass. Here too, the bass part can just as well considered to be "active", although physically the both amps are in one chassis, and are both GainClones. But, I see no difference when one of these would have been "actively" in the speakers cabinet, further fed exactly the same. So, bi-amp allright, and no "tri" as seems to be needed in your setup.

Notice that the first amp acts as a preamp for the second one, and will determine the sound largely. Also, think something like 27dB gain into 27dB gain but with a (crossover and) volume in between it. The latter is part of the crossover just the same (and I assume that you know how this works).
Before my crossover was passive, but today it is an active one (also not my idea, and IIRC under 150 euros for two channels). Seems to work as good, but with many more possibilities. 9 dials on it, but 5 are unused.

So, am I using one GainCone too few, or are you using one too much ? Happy
Btw, I have lots of headroom left for the bass, and the mid-high is at -15dB most.

Let me know what you think,
Peter

PS: Which all doesn't prevent me of looking forward to software XOvers.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »

Peter hi,

If I understand your post I think your speakers may have two driver channels a combined High/Mid and separate Bass (?), whereas I have three driver channels High, Mid and Bass.

In my setup, working forward from the each Gainclone module’s output in my amplifier towards the speaker driver, each speaker channel looks like this;

Horn loaded Tweeter

Gain Clone Module 1 > Bi Wire speaker cable 1 > Tweeter Cross Over > Tweeter Driver.

Bi Polar reflex Bass

Gain Clone Module 1 > Bi Wire speaker cable 1 > “High Level” feed to Active Bass amp within the speaker via its high level input, the speaker’s internal base amp has volume control and roll off pots to trim its Bass integration with the other drivers > Bass Drivers.

So yes as you say this Gain Clone Module 1 does two jobs, first it drives Tweeter and second it acts as a "pre amp" for the active base amp within the speaker. The good thing here is that speakers internal bass amp only present a load on the K Ohm range so Gainclone module 1 only really has to “drive” the tweeter.

Horn loaded Mid Range

Gain Clone Module 2 > Bi Wire Speaker cable 2 > Direct connection to mid-rage horn driver without any cross over.

I build the Gainclone amp with two modules per channel as left / right mono blocks electrically going back as far as to the amp’s power cable but everything is in one case. There are two Gainclones modules per channel fed by a separate 300Va R-Core transformer and rectifier. (As an upgrade I guess I might gain an improvement by adding a couple more transformers and rectifiers to get mono blocks on all 4 Gainclones modules back to the power cord ?)

As you say my setup is not quite true Tri-amping because the speakers active bass amp is fed by Gainclone module 1 (above). If I were to go down the active software cross-over route I would tap in to the existing active base amp within the speaker cabinets by passing the internal bass volume control and cross over to drive the amp it at line level from a DAC output.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »

Ah, ok. I never understood you had three drivers in there. Sorry.

But now I think of it ... what I also have, is the output of the second amp (the bass amp) (besides from going to the bass driver), going to the high (LS) input of the sub woofer - which is active. This itself having a(n active) crossover again.

In the end it all turns out to be pretty much the same I think. So, I don't have separate amps for mid and high, but at the low(er) end I have.
GainClone1 -> LineFilter -> Gainclone2 -> SubWFilter->SubWAmp.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

Peter,

This is interesting, I would be tempted to bay pass the SubWFilter, but you have me wondering what the benefit is of the stacked Gainclones ?

GainClone1 -> LineFilter -> Gainclone2 -> SubWFilter->SubWAmp.

Gainclone 2 only sees the bass spectrum passed by the Line Corssover filter which prevents it having to process higher frequencies ?

Gainclone 2 maybe has a PSU feeding it that is optimised for good low frequency response (eg more capacitance or something) ?

The DAC driving the input sees ~20k Ohm load rather than two gainclones in parallel giving say a ~10k Ohm load (but the output impedance of the NOS1 is easily low enought to drive two or more Gainclones).

Some quality of the high gain from having three amp stages ? but I am not sure this in itself would be doing anything. Perhaps you need this to keep up with the 115db response of your Mid High driver ?
Any insights ?

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:22:40 pm »

Hmm. GainClone,

Did some reading, looks nice......

Because i have almost all parts here, 4x psu amplimo 35v, 4x power-delay circuits.
So the only things i need, are some cooling parts and some decent caps, opamps and some other cheap parts.
ok...... I'am in.....

I have to read some more, but if you have some proper links, these are always welcome.

PS: if you want to try using software x-overs, do you need for eg. a second juli@ ? or......?
PPS: if you dont use software x-overs but just a passive x-over and use bi-amping, how would you connect the interlink to the amp
as 1 cable input and internally y wired to the inputs of the 2xamps per ch. ?

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »

Hmm. GainClone,

Did some reading, looks nice......

Because i have almost all parts here, 4x psu amplimo 35v, 4x power-delay circuits.
So the only things i need, are some cooling parts and some decent caps, opamps and some other cheap parts.
ok...... I'am in.....

I have to read some more, but if you have some proper links, these are always welcome.

PS: if you want to try using software x-overs, do you need for eg. a second juli@ ? or......?
PPS: if you dont use software x-overs but just a passive x-over and use bi-amping, how would you connect the interlink to the amp

Roy

Hi Roy,

My first question would be how efficient are your speakers ? People do use Gainlones with moderately efficient speakers but they give about 35 ish watts which only goes so far I guess. I think Peter St and I have both found you can get a long way using them with efficient speakers and easy load characteristics.

For my amp I bought a couple of Peter Danial’s premium kits giving me 4 Gainclone modules. I replaced Peter D’s supplied main caps with some BlackGate Std 1000uf caps (no BG N Types left anywhere  Sad). You need + and – 25 ish volt rails to power them, in my amp this is created using couple of 300Va R-Core transformers (people also recommend good quality torroids). Peter D’s kit has all the rectifiers and PCBs so it very easy to assemble. I am very impressed with the kit, its very nicely designed and gives an extremely pleasing sound when built.

http://www.audiosector.com/lm3875.shtml

I have direct and volume controlled inputs. The volume control is via TVC’s wired before the Gain Clones. I agree with Peter St that direct input from the DAC is better using digital volume control. I spent about £1500 (inc £500 for the TVCs) which is way, way over the top because I went for high spec components, but the amp is still incredible value for money. I retired 5Ks worth of parallel 300B mono block amps when I built the new amp and have not looked back once.

Thinking about it using an active cross between the DAC and Gainclones would be interesting but the experience of using the NOS1 DAC direct connected with digital volume makes me feel that if Peter St cracks the software cross over using the NOS1 that would be the way to go.

I think Peter St would have to provide help with the Juli@ config questions, I am not sure what he would have in mind there.

Nick

Audio PC

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »

Roy,

I missed this one...

I think you are describing what I am doing. The DAC feeds via a pair of normal (left and right channel) interconnects from the DAC or preamp into the Amp. Inside the amp (for each channel) the inputs either go via the TVC to the inputs of Gainclone 1 and 2 when I want a volume control or in the case of the direct inputs the input RCAs are connected directly to the inputs of Gainclone 1 and 2.

For the Gainclones I have this gives and input impedance (of both Gainclones 1 and 2) of about 12k ohms so you need a preamp / DAC that can drive this input. Its fine for most solid state output stages but I added the TVC so that I could drive the amps inputs with a Valve stage if I wanted to.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:06:16 am »

This is interesting, I would be tempted to bay pass the SubWFilter, but you have me wondering what the benefit is of the stacked Gainclones ?

Gainclone 2 only sees the bass spectrum passed by the Line Corssover filter which prevents it having to process higher
frequencies ?

Correct. But this is not only about prevention from high frequencies or something, it's a cross over. So, in my case the output of GC2 would be lowpassed at 270Hz, but since the SW can output 120Hz while the normal Woofer goes to 27Hz, the SW is lowpassed at 40Hz - and so forms an "xover" with the normal speaker.
Or I didn't understand your questions perhaps ...

Gainclone 2 maybe has a PSU feeding it that is optimised for good low frequency response (eg more capacitance or something) ?

Exactly. So GC1 and GC12 are not the same.

Some quality of the high gain from having three amp stages ?

Yes, that too. Since the SW is fed with high voltage input (LS output of GC2) - but the SW is made for that - there' more current to flow (and less gain to add by the SW). It just sounds more robust on the SW side.

Perhaps you need this to keep up with the 115db response of your Mid High driver ?

No ... but for the woofer it does. So, all 'n all (and net) it would come down to the woofer having a sensivity of 115dB. Maybe not completely honest, but I think this is what it comes down to. Anyway, where the mid-high would really have that sensitivity, the woofer would calculate the same, but of course it is really GC2 doing that. But don't try to leave out GC1 or GC2 because one tiny GC really would'nt do it for such a 15" driver.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:08:23 am »

It will need another "sound card".

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:07:13 pm »

Peter,

Thanks for the explanations, interesting stuff. I had not read about anyone using GainClones in this way. Thinking about it  why not ?

All of this has made me start to think about the possible benefits of different cross-over approaches. No plans to act too quickly but defiantly a topic to think about in the background  Happy

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 08:08:15 pm »

Hi Peter,

I am thinking about bi amping my 2 driver speakers with gainclone amps. So with 2 way speakers I will have 4 gainclone amps one feeding each driver. To do this I will need to connect the output of the NOS1 to two gainclone inputs i.e. parallel. Is NOS1 OK to drive this? Is there a minimum impedance that NOS1 should see?

All the best

PC

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 06:14:49 am »

Hi Paul,

That will be no problem. Minimum impedance should be around 350 Ohm.

But I wouldn't do it like that, because you'd be having two different reactances to the one source that way. So, maybe it's better to think "serial". Well, see this topic and my part in it ... Happy

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:43:53 pm »

Hi Paul,

That will be no problem. Minimum impedance should be around 350 Ohm.

But I wouldn't do it like that, because you'd be having two different reactances to the one source that way. So, maybe it's better to think "serial". Well, see this topic and my part in it ... Happy

Regards,
Peter

Hi paul,

Peter's suggestion of serial configuration with input gainclone driving two output gainclone is an interesting one. I have not tried it myself but I can say that the NOS1 driving two gainclone in parallel (per channel) works very well. I have used the NOS1 connected directly (volume control by XX) and via my TVCs with no problems.

I'm guessing you'll get a good result with your AN-Es. Will you build the gainclone if you go ahead ?

Nick.

Audio PC

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 11:03:27 pm »

Hey Nick,

How are you doing?. Yep I have most of the bits and I am waiting for a few more next week before wielding the soldering iron. So the first thing will be to hear the GainClone (mono block config.) versus my home made SET mono blocks. The thought that el cheapo Gainclone's could sound better than the £5k+ worth of SET mono's is intriguing. First things first though - how will the Gainclones sound versus the SET's?   If that works out OK (but I am listening to the NOS1 - SET's now and it is difficult to imagine how anything could sound better) I will start to think about Gclone bi amping. Fist I will try 2 Gclones in parallel on the output of NOS1 but I have to say Peter has a point - NOS1 driving 2 amps in parallel is not ideal. But there again on the other hand a "serial Gclone setup" needs some thinking about. So far it seems that I would be looking at (assuming I can dig out the LF section of the AN crossovers): -

Gclone1 >> HF xover >> HF drive unit

Gclone1 >> Vol Pot >> LF xover >> Gclone 2 >> LF driver unit

These are just very initial thoughts I have to think more about - not sure it will work yet - but somehow I have to "lose" gain with one Gclone in serial with another. The only other way possibly is to reduce the gain of Gclone 2 to 1:1 but that seems a non starter as the LM3875 needs at least 10:1 closed loop gain to be stable. But as I say only just started thinking about it - any ideas would be welcome though.

All the best

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  All
  Print  

Jump to: