XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 17, 2024, 01:32:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XXHighEnd Model 0.9z-4-1  (Read 111884 times)
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:10 pm »

Hi Peter,

in the release notes for 0.9z-4-1 you wrote:

When playback is started and XXHighEnd quits, notice the message telling you that Services are being stopped. Only when it has gone, use Alt-P for Playback. Not earlier. Also notice that at a first playback session after a reboot this can easily take a minute. A next time it will be seconds to none.

Can you think of any reason why you couldn't append a PLAY function to the code that controls when the message box disappears? It would save the user from having to issue the Alt-P themselves. You could perhaps alter the wording to something like "Services are being shut down, and play will commence when message box disappears. DO NOT attempt manual PLAY before then"

Cheers,

Russ ( still fiddling with parameters ! )   

Now Playing: Herb Ellis - Ellis In Wonderland

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
SlickenSmooth
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 02:07:40 pm »

Now, I'm trying to fine tune it! If only I had a way to make the sharp edges a little bit more round... When I listen to vocals and someone pronounces the SSSSssss it's a little bit shapr to my ears.

Maybe I need to play with the SFS...

But overall the sound is very good now. It seems like MC has the best of SC and Mixed.

Laptop (8gb RAM) with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on HDD, XX0.9z-6 on HDD, music on HDD, i5-460 -->
Engine#4 Adaptivel Mode / Q1 = 1 * 2/3/4/5 = 0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512)/*ClockRes = 15ms*/*Straight Contiguous*/*SFS = 430*/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time --> Jkeny Modded Hiface 2.0 -> Devialet D-Premier -> (soon) Kaiser Kawero
BrianG
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »

Had another listen last night and was looking to find the max SFS for the different memory configurations and managed 120 with SC.  When I first listened to it I thought "Oh no, too much like z-4-0" but I gave it a little more time and then decided to get the Q1 setting as low as possible, for me this is 8 bits and just by doing this the edges were taken off (Q1 is back in the game).  Let me add I Like the bass now too the way it supports the whole experience is superb  Too much

BUT who cares about all this tweaking when I can't stop my feet tapping, on a few occasions I was having difficulty sitting down as the urge to dance was so great (Any DJ with this player will be a sell-out success overnight!). This was followed by the urge to sing and join in and on two occasions I burst into tears.    love

My wife joined me on two occasions (both to bring me a cup of tea  smile) and she failed the "can you sit with your feet still" test on both occasions.

XXHighend has moved from the technical to the emotional plane wow, well done Peter I think we have our first candidate for version 1.0 status.   sounds good !

January 5, 2011
*W7 64bit SP1 on SSD*, XX on 1.2GB RAMDisk (Copy to XX-drive = On), music on SATAII, i3-530 HT Off / Engine#4 *Special Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 16 (samples)/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 3* @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=100* @ *SFS.ini = 00* -> PC-to-I2S Driver latency 512 samples @352800 -> 24/384 Phasure NOS1 DAC -> pre-amp ->main amps
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

I'm curious of how much you have your SFS on?
I use sfs=220 with mixed.
Now, I'm trying to fine tune it! If only I had a way to make the sharp edges a little bit more round...
You could try an attenuator like jkeny suggested.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 06:41:30 pm »

Can you think of any reason why you couldn't append a PLAY function to the code that controls when the message box disappears? It would save the user from having to issue the Alt-P themselves. You could perhaps alter the wording to something like "Services are being shut down, and play will commence when message box disappears.

Hey there Russ,

Well, can you think of a reason that you applied "Do not start at all" ?
Deactivate that, and you'll have what you want (if I understand you correctly). But this *is* different. So, when playback starts automatically there is no time to let things "cool down", *might* that be what one wants (I am not sure myself, or not anymore).
But sure I feel what you mean, and it really won't take long anymore before I myself deactivate this button ... (waiting is ok, but waiting for nothing, no sounds, so coffee ? toilet maybe ? ... that's not it).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »

BUT who cares about all this tweaking when I can't stop my feet tapping,

I may not be so much used to this myself (or listen too much to other things), but this time I put it in the Release Notes, most probably for a reason. But it is just true I guess ... I never sit in a chair listening, and I'm always wlking around doing things, cooking etc., and I can only finding myself whisteling throughout. I hear false voices, and next it appears my wife is humming. This can even be preceeded by a "oh no, not again those ever playing the same songs jazz players" after which I usually have to shut down and try something else she won't like anyway. I now can play what I like, what about that. heat
But the ever best test is and remains :

Our 12 year old -usually with headphones behind some game or TV- gets totally wild once the headphones are off. The degree of him getting wild (on the beat of the music) is just a great measure. If he doesn't move at all, something is seriously wrong. And sometimes it is. But not now. Now he needs ADHD medicine ...

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2011, 04:44:56 am »

Well, can you think of a reason that you applied "Do not start at all" ?
Deactivate that, and you'll have what you want (if I understand you correctly).

Bonjour Pierre,

Well, Yes, I could do that, but I was interpreting your notes ...

Assumed is Unattended Playback (this is a prerequisite for all !). Also assumed is "Do not start Playback at all", hence do that lateron with Alt-P. This is not a must, but it will matter (and has not been tested otherwise).

... as being the preferred way to start playback with the new memory management. I shall try going back to previous way of letting things start automatically, and see if I can detect any meaningful differences between the procedures.

Ta Happy

Russ

FYI ... it's hard for me at the moment to comment on improvements with this version. Reason being is that last week the chap who built my speakers visited and we decided to remove the integration of my subs when playing 2 channel, and discontinue the use of the parametric equalizer in the pre-processor. Net result is a completely difference sound reference and I'm slowly learning to come to terms with what I'm now hearing. Suffice to say it all sounds very much improved, and of immediate note is the tight controlled bass registers. More feedback to come as I appreciate the changes made. 

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:56 pm »

OK, I'm sitting writing with my laptop and 0.9z-4-1 playing in the background on my main system. I've literally just heard one track, but I listened to the same track with 0.9z-4-0 just beforehand. I'm using the parameters in Peter's signature for 0.9z-4-0 (i.e. Special, etc), and the identical parameters with 0.9z-4-1, but with SFS=500 and Mixed. All services are off, except LAN, which I need as I use a NAS (which I still like, even though some here don't)... and of course, no RAMDisk.

The difference here is night and day, with 0.9z-4-1 being very much superior. (Of course, 0.9z-4-0 would certainly sound better with RAMDisk, but I can't be bothered to reinstall RAMDisk, and in any case, I doubt it would come close to 0.9z-4-1.) I agree with most of the comments that have already been written in this thread relating to SQ. I will post again with my thoughts on what I would like more/less of. But right now, I'm finding it difficult to identify anything that I would change.

Best Sounding XHE ever!!!!!!!!!

First impression: Best ever! very happy very happy very happy

This is the best I have ever heard.........

I cannot believe how different it sounds. It sounds like the sweetest analogue sound.

I love my first impressions.

I totally concur.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2011, 12:19:41 pm »

Haha, nice post. But my sig has not been adjusted by any means ! it's just old (from 4-0 somewhere).

But what's next ? all go to laptops ?

swoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoonswoon

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »

If we're quoting some superlatives anyway, this one jumped at me from someone who rather sends emails than posting in here (there are many more, but I really like this one especially) :

Quote from: anonymous
I just had to send you another email - I have z4-1 running. WOW is all I can say I have run out of words because I used them all up on previous versions (he he). But all previous versions are irrelevant z4-1 is just stunning - just as you said it would be. I can say no more.

I thought this level of performance beyond my system - maybe only achievable with a top vinyl deck.

I am now completely sure that you will not able to improve XX any further - you have achieved your goal - just as I thought that with previous releases

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

you will not able to improve XX any further

Indeed unthinkable that you could.  swoon

Are you going to explain what you did so different? Or is that going to be a secret. Which i will understand.

Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »

Totally secret. In any case it was no accident, and it had to be a REALLY working thing, because remember, I had RAMDisk theories ... and I want my theories to proove right. Just me ...

What should be the next step ?
Adjusting the software for little problems without adjusting SQ eh ? hmm ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2011, 12:48:49 pm »

... all go to laptops ?

I just wanted to clarify that I'm posting on my laptop, and certainly not playing XX on my laptop!

[Remainder of post deleted]

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »

Well, after a short spell with Mixed, I'm back to Straight Contiguous. Mixed is very easy on the ear but there is a loss of 'focus' (a bit like using RAMDisk). Straight Contiguous brings this focus back and the bass becomes more tuneful - but as before, I end up just wanting more of this beautiful bass (with Mixed, I have no desire for extra bass).

SFS=500 in both cases.

Mani.

PS. I haven't tried MC... should I?

Main System:
Office System:
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:07 pm »

this is one of the things I didn't mention - although I implied something with changing the (digital) volume being faster even at the higher SFS settings - possibilities seem endless now. Or said differently : how to destroy this.
And again IOW ... HEADROOM.
Well, for something.

I never said it much in here, but one of the virtues of vinyl seems to be the headroom before things start sounding wrong. To me (as a personal observation without asking wives etc. etc.), it seems that this headroom now is there. It just feels like that.

Reading the above made me think of this:

Split file size and volume
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:32:53 pm » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever since Marcin posted the reducing the split file size to the minimum produced very good sound for him, I've been experimenting with it as well. With vocals, Leonard Cohen, Dylan, Patty Griffin, Eva, Dianna,  etc., the "correct" setting changes for each singer depending on the volume level. Take a singer and turn the volume to a moderate level. Here, on my system, setting the split file size to 12 does sound very good, but, turn the volume up to very loud and everything sounds way too detailed and etched, like a too sharpened digital photo. Keeping the sound very loud, turn the split file size up to between 80 and 200 (depending on the vocalist) and it sounds very pleasing again, though it looses some detail it sounds very realistic.

Its interesting that reducing the size at loud volumes initially sounds "best" but it soon becomes fatiguing. In a way, the split file size acts like a master tone control: reducing it makes all ranges, low, mid and high,  sharper and more revealing, thus for moderate volume it sounds "best"; increasing it, at very high volumes, rounds all ranges off and makes them feel more pleasing. Give it a try........and let me know if I've lost my mind......

Now I'm not entirely sure of everything Peter means by "Headroom" but I think volume must have something to do with it. Back in the early days of 9z-2, I was pretty sure that most of the differences in SFS's I used for different recordings was due to the recording, so I advocated that the SFS "knob" be put on the face of the GUI so it could be quickly changed. It just didn't seem possible that it could be a set it and forget it setting.......boy was I wrong.

The amazing thing about 9z-4-1 is that using large SFS's the sweet spot of my volume control has  been significantly broadened, as a result I don't have to change the SFS depending on the recording; rather it is only with an adjustment of volume that I account for the differences in recordings. It seems that this has been made possible because all frequencies seem to have become more stable, present and smooth(??). Before, with 9z-2, as SFS was increased the music would flatten (unless you turned it up really loud!)

From my not at all technical perspective this is really a great achievment in XX, making using the program much simpler.

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: