XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 10:31:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two months now since the first Phasure NOS1 Dac was delivered  (Read 14640 times)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:56:11 am »

Two months now since the first Phasure NOS1 Dac was delivered. I´m eager to know more about how is evolving the sound. Would you please, the ones with more time with the Dac, share your experiences?.

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:18:23 am »

Two months now since the first Phasure NOS1 Dac was delivered. I´m eager to know more about how is evolving the sound. Would you please, the ones with more time with the Dac, share your experiences?.

Hi Juan,

I am sorry but IMO there is not more to it than is written in here http://www.phasure.com/index.php?board=9.0

But maybe others have other opinions.  dntknw

Still enjoy the dac every day!!!!!  sounds good !

Not much help i guess... scratching

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:01 pm »

Thanks Gerard, I read all the post about the Phasure NOS1 and I see beautiful words about it but I also see, mostly from Peter, that the sound evolves with the time. This evolution comes from the ultra detailed of the first days to the "balanced" sound after one month or so.

I´d like to know more about the experiences from the owners that have it for more than one month. How is it evolved and how do you feel now compared to the dac you had before. The judgements from the first days are very often enthusiastic, what do you think now with your ears more used to the Phasure?. Is it the sound more emotional, more analytical or both?, etc.

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:50:51 pm »

Thanks Gerard, I read all the post about the Phasure NOS1 and I see beautiful words about it but I also see, mostly from Peter, that the sound evolves with the time. This evolution comes from the ultra detailed of the first days to the "balanced" sound after one month or so.

I´d like to know more about the experiences from the owners that have it for more than one month. How is it evolved and how do you feel now compared to the dac you had before?. The judgements from the first days are very often enthusiastic, what do you think now with your ears more used to the Phasure?. Is it the sound more emotional, more analytical or both?, etc.

I will try to write some tomorrow ok? Going out now  unhappy

Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:58:48 am »

I´d like to know more about the experiences from the owners that have it for more than one month. How is it evolved and how do you feel now compared to the dac you had before. The judgements from the first days are very often enthusiastic, what do you think now with your ears more used to the Phasure?. Is it the sound more emotional, more analytical or both?, etc.

Hi Juan,

Indeed two months now since i have the DAC. You are right that the first day's weeks i was i heaven. That is gone now but still i am very very pleased with the sound can't imagine anything better. The thing is it is so easy to get used to this meaning it sounds so natural so NORMAL. You will no what i mean when you hear it. I really did not have the courage or lust to go back. For the rest you can read it in my post. But i guess you allready did.

Maybe Pedal or Mani can jump in??

The are a bit better in explaining IMO.

Succes  Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:43:25 pm »

Thanks Gerard, I appreciate your opinion. Maybe, as you say, Mani or Pedal would want also share with us their experience after around this two months.

manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »

It's interesting, although the sound of the NOS1 has undoubtedly changed in the last couple of months, my sentiments towards it remain pretty much the same.

I think it has become slightly more mellow and perhaps more rounded. However, it's overall sonic character remains: ultra, ultra detailed sound... but one that seems so utterly 'correct'. One thing I'm appreciating more is the sheer quality of its mid-range, but perhaps this has more to do with my new speakers burning-in than the NOS1 burning-in.

I recognise Gerard's comment about becoming accustomed to the sound, almost taking it for granted. However, one thing that still amazes me is the 3-dimensionality of the sound - I hear things coming from way, way back behind the speakers. I've just never heard this from any other source before.

My one gripe? The bass is sooooooo beautiful and tuneful. I just want more of it... lot's more of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the NOS1 here - I think it's tonal balance is correct and accurate. But I don't care. I want more of this gorgeous bass. I want to be totally bathed in it. But alas, my speakers don't have crossovers, and I will never partake in EQ of any sorts.

In any event, the ultimate accolade must be that I've ordered a second NOS1 for my office system. Look, I'm certainly no millionaire, but I sure know a bargain when I see one.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:38 pm »

Great review Mani. Thanks!!. So although your bass is tuneful you´d like more of it, in what sense? you´d want a deeper bass or a bass with more extension in the sound stage?. What´s the frequency response of your speakers?

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:31:20 am »

If I'm allowed to explain this myself ... (well, attempt) :

There's something *very* special about the "bass behaviour". Of course it is not there by accident, but as hard to explain without hearing it as it is within itself;

Let's say it is about the perceived inifinity of being loud and deep, without it filling the room and mushing. It has been my subject in this forum almost right from the beginning (clearly without any NOS1 being there), but the most apparent would be that no (low frequency) standing waves will be there in the room. So, all keeps as defined as with low volume, and with that it will show reality from basses (for their normal volume level), mainly because the individual vibes are sustained.
As I said it the other day - by now I seem to be able to perform better on these basses than a live performance (indoor) can do, the bass guys having their own amps and speakers. Why ? because that live performance doesn't have this "control", and the only thing you will hear at loud volumes is "bass". Not what bass.

Next, it *really* is another dimension. It's music within itself. Separately playing, and indeed the more of it the better it will be (ok, as it seems to me). It will be very hard to tune a bass too loud compared to other instruments playing. Go to a live performance and watch it. If you're only not with your nose in the speakers there, more bass (from that bass instrument I mean) is almost always better. Lower volume is also good, but the more the better it is. And so it is with the NOS1, and I'm fairly sure this is what Mani means.

Don't try this with a bass knob, or by tuning your xover. That won't work at all, because things will be out of balance or the xover doesn't work as intended (it won't "connect").

Of course this isn't a matter of the NOS1 outputting more bass. Here too, as Mani says : all is still in balance.
In the end it is about one thing only really : the very "tight" bass waves producing their real frequency, therefore outputting more SPL (peaks are higher and are not smeared down (think voltage)) and in the mean time they show the real vibes (just think "not smeared"). The standing waves being absent is a bonus, but a measurement within itself may you want to check it. I do. When standing waves are suddenly there I don't care anymore whether I like the music; something just *will* be wrong.
Btw, I'm the only one on the globe telling this. But the NOS1 itself is proof of my thinking (and what I strive for, if you want).

Lastly, but it may sound commercially, it may come extra special to you when I keep on telling/advising that this just works *without* any pre-amp. And not only that (which is difficult to achieve), but also that it does NOT work *with* pre-amp.
Go figure ? no, I just explained why (you may want to read this again Happy).
All is different than most of us think. But it is about the real merits of elements, and nest exploit them all. ALL. That's what I did.
Ok, tried.
The software is part of it. And not to a small degree.

Peter

PS: I'm sure you didn't miss it, but here is another bass addict : Re: NOS1 first impression

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
xp9433
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 02:24:00 am »

Scoobius said: I need to listen to more albums to get a real perspective on the change in bass. 4-0 had a strange way of sounding bass light but when there was deep bass on the album it was presented but with 4-1 sounds to be more bass throughout

I would be interested to hear what Scoobius and Mani (when you have had a chance to listen) say about bass through the NOS1 now that XXHE 4-1 is here.

Frank
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:33:29 pm »

Don't try this (to get more bass) with a bass knob, or by tuning your xover. That won't work at all, because things will be out of balance or the xover doesn't work as intended (it won't "connect").

Of course this isn't a matter of the NOS1 outputting more bass. Here too, as Mani says : all is still in balance.

I agree with you, although I can work out with my speakers bass knob the real issue is to find the right balance, otherwise the bass could be overwhelming, loosing the qualities of a real bass: tight, as deep as it should be and tuneful, that means balanced with the rest of the frequencies.

The standing waves being absent is a bonus, but a measurement within itself may you want to check it. I do. When standing waves are suddenly there I don't care anymore whether I like the music; something just *will* be wrong.
Btw, I'm the only one on the globe telling this. But the NOS1 itself is proof of my thinking (and what I strive for, if you want).
Lastly, but it may sound commercially, it may come extra special to you when I keep on telling/advising that this just works *without* any pre-amp. And not only that (which is difficult to achieve), but also that it does NOT work *with* pre-amp.

I´ve experienced it with the standing waves, they disappeared when playing with the XXHigEnd, it´s a weird phenomenon but the truth is that the bass become clearer and there isn´t boom at all. It could appear thinner at first but in fact is more tuneful.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: