XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 12:51:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic or Minimal setting for XX  (Read 4482 times)
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:59:21 am »

Peter, If this is not the right place for this message please move it to...

I have an idea that should make it much easier to track down XX related problems; it should be fairly easy to implement, and it will have some added benefits.

Create a 3 way button/switch that sets all XX's myriad values (like upsampling, sfs, Qs, cover art, and several hundred others ) to their least computer intensive and simple settings. A three way switch for normal, a minimal Engine 4, and minimal Engine 3 setting. Further more, if you choose either of the minimal settings you are forced to reboot, because you, Peter, make sure that XX is not operable until the system is rebooted. Why? So that if the problem still appears after all this, you (the customer) will know exactly what the state of affairs is, as will Peter, assuming you tell him a bit about your computer. (This should bypass the endless back and forth just to get to a common ground).

How to use. You shouldn't necessarily use minimal at the first sign of a problem, but rather when you're frustrated because you can't figure it out yourself, because you haven't a clue about computers and this sort of thing, or because you just feel like it.

The benefits to all:
1. If you're an enterprising type it gives you an easy and basic way to do your own trouble shooting.
2. You'll know what the least computer intensive settings are.
3. It very likely will give you a way to play music on XX (a setting to revert to) while you're trouble shooting the more elaborate settings--sometimes you just want to listen to music even if it's not perfect  Censored !  sounds good !
4. Similar to one above, If your troubled XX works at "minimal," you can just add a setting at a time and see how far you can push it until it crashes; who knows, you might end up being satisfied until the newest and bestest XX comes sauntering into your neighborhood.
5. Similar to four above, It's a good way to experiment with listening to the various settings since it's the most basic starting point. Where better to start when doing an true and meaningful evaluation. (Who can remember when attempting this now, what exactly their ealier settings were. (A few truly anal types maybe, but that's about it.)

I can just hear you thinking Peter, "Chris, there is no one simple starting point for all." Well I beg to differ, first that's why 2 engine settings. And it is not your concern what kind of audio hardware the computer is driving. If the output is simple unadulterated and bit perfect digital, that's what it is and that's the best you can do re a person's equipment. If for instance it's a question of dac buffer size, then the option that needs buffer size specified should not be part of minimal. I assume there is a setting that will allow XX to send data to even the simplest dac.

If you're not thinking the above, I apologize. I really didn't think that you were, just covering all bases, cuz I'm done with this subject.

Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:15 am »

Hi Chris,

I can just hear you thinking Peter, "Chris, there is no one simple starting point for all."

Hey, that is correct ! Because :

And it is not your concern what kind of audio hardware the computer is driving.

... it is. And :

If for instance it's a question of dac buffer size, then the option that needs buffer size specified should not be part of minimal.

... which immediately will create your "problems".

But you know what ? This all will be in 0.9z-5.
Haha.
Wanted to have it finished today, but I guess it will be some "tomorrow".

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: