XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 01:49:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NOS1 First Impressions, Bass Performance & Settings  (Read 7263 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:55 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Yep I was actually completely happy with my AN DAC (XX fed) which sounded (and still sounds) superb I could listen to it all night long - surely no significant improvement (ie does it really matter improvement?) could be made. But with a failing laptop display small disks etc etc I wanted to properly "sort" the front end. NOS with XX and a new computer with big discs would do that - so long as it was at least as good as my AN DAC that would be OK. So I contacted Peter and was surprised to get my NOS delivered within a few days wow I was not expecting that!!!. And when I opened the box my wife said "if you don't paint that black I will" - now I can tell you that is a scary thought. Anyway it actually looks OK and my son thinks it looks "cool".

So eventually my PC arrived and now it has been up and running (not without a bit of pain I have to say) for a whole 4 days !!

There is little point in me repeating what others have written but the level of detail, smoothness and fluidity are the best I have heard by a long way. No it is way better than that it is simply stunning. Me and my music/audio loving mate Dave sat here with our mouths open in stunned silence. We were hearing interplay between musicians on well known well loved old favourites (love Joni!!) never heard before. The only thing was that the sound was a tad "hard" but hey this was a new bit of kit just out of the box and over the last four days of continuous operation the sound has relaxed and is significantly smoother.

But I wanted to mention the bass as I do not think anyone yet has covered this properly (from what I have heard anyway). I have never heard any system that properly reproduces bass and I really do mean never. One of my pet hates is the unavoidable boxy sound of box speakers which is most unfortunate as I have a pair. Even worse is the over damped heavy dead sound of other box speakers. But then all speakers have big compromises. So with NOS1 for the FIRST TIME EVER I can hear properly what is actually going on in the bass. Bass instruments play tunes. I can hear separate bass instruments. Bass does not modulate and is not modulated by mid range. How can I explain it - bass instruments are fully delineated, they are properly in tune with other bass instruments and they are now properly in phase with mid and high range instruments. NOS1/XX brings a complete new meaning to the word coherence in my system. This is by far the biggest surprise - surely this sort of change would be the domain of amps and speakers but NO this has been brought about by a change in ......... DAC!!!   Can you imagine the so called experts in hi fi shops telling you change your DAC to get the above changes. Can you imagine that they would believe me if they told them (no way Jose')

I do not understand some of the comments that bass is "light" - no way!! not in my system - bass goes low and if anything lower (maybe not lower but cleaner lower if that makes sense) than before but it is accurate and the upper bass "bloom" has gone revealing a whole world of bass instrument detail making music and more important coherent rhythm than ever before. I love bass, rhythm the whole foundation of music for me. Now for the first time I have it properly reproduced in spades.

I started reading this forum years ago before the NOS project started and as it progressed I never imagined that I would actually own one. The XX software was already producing a quality of sound I never thought possible even without NOS. I could also never have imagined the quality of sound I now am listening to with NOS!. Simply stunning. The thing is that I understand that it will improve further with more running in - and Nick reckons he has found a way to improve performance even further. Wow what a thought.

By the way I am also surprised by the difference settings make now. Especially buffer sizes. I have found that for me in XX 48 buffer and 48 Q1 and 128/256 max (Juli@ latency) is necessary to get the base as I like it. What I do find is that with higher buffer settings in XX I lose some of the detail which I prefer not to!!!. But each system to its own settings!!!

Peter - I can't thank you enough - the huge number of hours work you have put into all this (and on top of that answering my stupid questions) and your relentless dedication and pursuit of the best possible sound (without compromise) has resulted in music quality in my own room hugely exceeding my best expectations. Tears of joy I think that also applies to me (shrugging off my English reserve!!!) I am definitely in the queue to buy you a drink and also (oh go on if a shrink can do it then it must be OK) a big big hug!!!.  Happy  Happy  Happy

Also thanks to all the others on this site that have helped me and others through the years.

It would be good to have a NOS owners get together sometime - a bit like say the Jaguar owners club or some such.

All the very very very best Peter  Wink

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:38:13 am »

Wow Paul ...

Just got back from a lovely dinner and arrive back in at last something which is not called a highway hotel (motel), opened your large post, and next drew the laptop outside to the porch, lit a cigar, and started reading ...
Well, if this won't bring me a good night of sleep, nothing will.

Thank you so much for a lovely post !
Awaitening the beer and the group hug !! Happy
Cheers,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:01:40 pm »

Scroobius hi,

I'm glad to hear that you are having shuch a good experience with your new NOS1.

If you can draw yourself away from listening to the NOS1, just for fun try listening to your Audio Note DAC driven by the NOS1 SPDIF output. I was surprised by the results when I tried this with my DAC 4. I defiantly still prefer the NOS1 but you get a good impression of what an Audio Note DAC can deliver when driven by a very good SPDIF signal  Happy
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1523.0

- and Nick reckons he has found a way to improve performance even further. Wow what a thought.

Could be even more tunefull bass etc to come  HappyHappy

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

Just tried my AN DAC on the NOS1 spdif output and I have to say it really sounded great - as you say very seductive. But I am a sucker for detail and I could not be tempted back as NOS1 is sounding wonderful just now particularly with a weeks burn in on the clock now - very special.

So there is potential for NOS1 bass to be improved further - wow I cannot imagine that. It sounds so good now I am beginning to salivate at the thought of it. Can't wait to learn more.

PC

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: