XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 04:03:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter's best Classic Rock recordings/cds/remasters  (Read 82153 times)
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2011, 06:50:43 am »

So Peter, guess what. I am German, that would be Deutsch to you. Ya ich bin ein Deutscher. Ich bin nach der USA als kind.

So why did I say Dutchland? Because I'm goofy, sarchastic, silly and facetious, here, there and everywhere. So of course I know all the stuff you so elaborately put forth. I hope said is well absorbed by someone in need of it; I didn't mean to create yet another subject for you to write about. It's probably not fair of me to do this kind of stuff with language in emails and especially to non-native speakers, but I can't help myself. If I can't have fun writing I end up not writing at all. (And it's no better when I'm speaking, except that critics like Mani can't tell which form of 2 or yer I'm using).

As to the music and American-Japanese Subarus. This buggy had a good sound system in it, not uber good, but very good.

The other night, just after my note about the Get Yer Ya Ya's and loudness issue, I listened to a Wilco album (not in the Subaru). And lo and behold a section started playing that sounded like it had to be turned up to be enjoyed. It sounded cramped and small, insignificant (hard to put into words). But it was only this one part of the album. I couldn't turn it up to test it, as it was early in the morning. The rest of the album sounded fine, big, spacious, nice spread out soundstage at that relatively quiet level.

-Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 07:00:28 am »

Peter said "Chris, take Oh Well. I recall that as the back side of a vinyl single, but here I'm talking about the 9 minute version. Try to imagine that I am telling you that the Spanish Guitar played on there sounds better than your live Spanish Guitar ...
Of course this can't be, but so good it actually is."

Ok, so I listened to Oh Well. I agree with you in part. The classical guitar sounded really really good, but only for about 30 seconds to a minute at about the 7 minute mark. At about the 5.5 minute mark it sounded lousy, slightly out of tune, and the way it sounds when I'm playing and thinking I can't get this thing in tune today, and it sounds like sh*t. But for some reason at 7 minutes it sounded great. It must have been added in later or something.

The track for the most part sounds like it was recorded in mono. The instruments are right on top of each other.

-Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 07:07:34 am »

Are Amish allowed to have Internet then ?

Nah, I suppose they don't live in appartments.

haha

Great story Chris.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2011, 07:22:32 am »

Oh Well ...

I am doing this by recalling the track from memory :

Yes, I guess you are right that you can hear "overdubbing". But (again, from memory !), what about such a thing being audible *that way* is a characteristic of recording from that time ? Maybe that is part of the "honesty" I dedicate to the music of that era ?
But it is still the most difficult to communicate over, because I only recognize this "honesty" thing lately. Not two years back or something.

I need to play much more music from back then to recognize what it really is about. And an again better playback chain maybe. I mean, I  tried a.o. a few Muddy Waters, but that doesn't sound good at all. But then this is a characteristic of blues I think (who needs good recordings to express blues). Reggae even worse (visit Jamaica and you'll know why).

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 12:03:10 am »

I mean, I  tried a.o. a few Muddy Waters, but that doesn't sound good at all. But then this is a characteristic of blues I think (who needs good recordings to express blues).

That's probably true ...who needs good recordings..., however I don't know whether to credit the music or blame the recording engineer for giving me the blues when I listen.

-Chris

crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:22 am »

Hey Nick, are you there ? before people think a Subaru is anything of a car ...

Do you have a stereo in your supercar ?
(drooldrooldrooldrool)

The Chevy V8 sound track rivals listening to a NOS1 though when i'm in the right mood Happy 

The sound system haha  grazy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's sound systems like yours (and those big logging truck versions) that are causing me to have to mess around with floating my system, putting it on rollers and hoping it doesn't jiggle its way off and crush me while I sleep sleeping, I'd just like you to know.  Old

-Chris

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 12:18:52 am »

Looking at this picture once again ... doesn't it say "Standard Definition" somewhere ?
nah ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 04:06:01 am »

Peter you said "PS: By now I know that Pink Floyd's The Wall (normal studio version) sounds way better in MFSL Gold Disc."

Are you serious? If so, how so, i.e. how does it sound better. The version I have already sounds very good. I happen to really like some of "The Wall," very much. Also was one of the best concerts I ever went to, in part due to some unexpected circumstances, and of the course the great overwhelming music/sound/show, "Welcome to the Show."

-Chris

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:35 am »

It will be nit picking, but the MFSL Gold version sounds more full. This will be because the original sounds more harsh. Too sharp or something.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:40 am »

I was just looking at Amazon for "The Wall," out of curiousity. I can't believe how many versions there are, including a remaster which will be out in September. Even the Israel Symphony Orchestra and the Ninja Turtles do "The Wall." Ok, maybe not the Ninja Turtles but we do have Pink Floyd En Bossa Nova. I bet they've got a hi-res version too.

-Chris

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 09:17:47 am »

I think Roy (AUDIODIDAKT) dug op 9 or 11 different versions of Dark Side of The Moon. It's somewhere in this forum.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:46 am »

Hey Nick, are you there ? before people think a Subaru is anything of Wink a car ...

Do you have a stereo in your supercar ?
(drooldrooldrooldrool)

The Chevy V8 sound track rivals listening to a NOS1 though when i'm in the right mood Happy 

The sound system haha 

It's sound systems like yours (and those big logging truck versions) that are causing me to have to mess around with floating my system, putting it on rollers and hoping it doesn't jiggle its way off and crush me while I sleep sleeping, I'd just like you to know.  Old

-Chris

Chris hi,

I feel your pain or should that be vibration . At least were not neighbours, I say this only because the spark system on the car used to make so much RF when I bought it that it would freez the picture on any televisions nearby. I wouldn't have wanted to add RF problems to the truck related wows of a fellow audio enthusiast. innocent

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 06:19:05 am »

Nick said, "I feel your pain or should that be vibration . At least were not neighbours, I say this only because the spark system on the car used to make so much RF when I bought it that it would freez the picture on any televisions nearby. I wouldn't have wanted to add RF problems to the truck related wows of a fellow audio enthusiast."

Freeze the picture? Really, are you serious? And don't mention wow to this audio enthusiast. Ok, you can, I don't have a turntable anymore.

By the way, as much as I've gotten over cars (and trucks) through the years, I was really impressed by your sound system. And as much as those systems irritate when I'm listening to Astrid Gilberto or Sade, I love the sound of the just barely turning over bass burble of a 407 or Harley, or the sounds of street racing as in "American Graffiti."

-Chris

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 10:49:19 am »

Nick said,

Freeze the picture? Really, are you serious ?

I love the sound of the just barely turning over bass burble of a 407 or Harley, or the sounds of street racing as in "American Graffiti."

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, in the UK we are on digital tv now and the RF just stopped the picture as I drove past - neat feature. I could live with the feature (not watching tv at the time Happy  ) but the problem was that the engine ECU wasn't too happy with the RF either. I put in a new spark system and its fixed now.

I am defiantly with you regarding  the 407 and Harley  "sources".... sweat music.

Nick

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 07:26:30 am »

Btw Chris, did you recognize that the (your) flute is a typicle instrument for beginning 70's (psychedelic) music ?

I don't know how they got that in, but at some stage (don't know what year) it disappeared again too. It doesn't seem to fit the type of music; too classical. But it was profound. Some verry explicit (like Focus, or Back Home from the Golden Earring).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: