XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 07:53:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: One XX for all...?  (Read 21775 times)
Gerner
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2007, 08:29:26 pm »

Hi Peter

I was thinking if you could merge say 9D to 9J -> 9K having all players inside one desktop window.

A window where you choose your player version just like we can choose freely between #1, #2, #3, prorities , double and upsample...etc... just by checking them on and off.

I don't know if that takes too much time to develop or there is a conflict making it work that way.

At least it could replace all the XX windows I have open at the same time in order to compare between them.

OK, I go further...Can you by means of the XX desktop access the the RME and set the sample rate here?

What crazy questions.... prankster

Gerner

Vista-Ultimate PC  -> XX version very old  -> USB -> CrazyT..soon NOS1
Troubleless playback.
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:41:45 am »

I was somewhat wondering the same thing.  I'm sure PeterSt wants to find the one that he thinks is the right one; perhaps he can stamp his seal of approval on the version that he thinks is correct, but continue with other versions that others like.  I know I have my favorite .9D and I guess Peter endorses that one too at the moment, but everyone has an opinion/system that is different.  There's never any two highend manufacturers that sound exactly alike.  It's just if PeterSt wants to put his name to anything but what he feels is right.... kinda why I've had a hard time speaking up.  It's his piece of art and if too many cooks get in the kitchen you spoil the meal.  On the other hand, I can tell that you, like me, care a great deal about where his player is going because of how good it has made our systems compared to other players we've tried.  I know with my Sony SCD-1 (sitting and waiting for me to get off my ass to sell it), that it had 4 different "filters" for me to choose.  My friend (who also has one) liked std filter, I liked 1 and sometimes switched to 3... (coincidentally std sounded like H and 1 & 3 more like D hehe) (although he did say that he's listening to filter 1 more now).  I've wondered that if I came over to Gerner's place I might like J better there than D?  I don't really know.  It is Peter's player, I was willing to keep working with J, but on the other hand... I wasn't willing to delete D anytime soon, (I've assured that forever because it is my base player that I first activated/undemoed and the backup I always use first to change versions).

I know how you feel Gerner.  I kept thinking to myself... "well, if PeterSt does continue with these higher versions (H-J), I wonder if I could convince him to add diacritical marks/cue file support to D just for me".  We're at your mercy Peter, heh.

edit
or, (and again, I'm not telling PeterSt what to do, just ideas if he wants to consider)
keep updating the "popular" versions as best he can with the latest version always being his official release.  Maybe adding caveats/notes to the other releases about why they were discontinued/not his official.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
Gerner
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:41:38 am »

Oh yeah Dave... nah... good morning-, day or evening...never sure about the clock you place.  scratching

As you figured out already, yes, I'm also a "switcher". Or at least I became one.

Noticing that good people still shuffled around with older XXs and found something good about the retired versions versus the 9J, made me do the same.
My first report to Peter, think that was by mail, that 9J Q24 and 9D too me didn't sound quite alike and second I compromised at 9J Q7 or Q14 depending on the track, I did a lot of testing the original D and the new J. I observed the same as you. D with a more integrated wholeness in it, a rounder more forwarded (?) completeness, can I say more uncomplicated to listen to or what ever; the slighter higher pixeled more sparkling and seemly more transperant, more spacious and lean back J, became after all "my" preferred player.

After this long marathon test, I do not open the 9D anymore.

That is also likely as you point out very play-back system dependant. That's why I wote for still have a Q1 controler in a future version. It is to me a very nice tool. A tool that everyone can benefit from no matter the gear they have.

Well as Peter all the time tells us, that his program layout always leaves a design to comprehend what he has in mind in the future, and let's say D deos not meet that need, and J does. That must leave Peter in a diffult choice? Don't know if my assumations are correct?

One thing I'm quite sure of: We have not seen that last version and I don't expect Peter will come out one final day and say: That's it folks! The ULTIMATE XX.

PS! That's why I love this game. Peter has choosen to let all comment on the versions released along the way and the next version is based on the responds he get. What a guy. I have not seen many manufactorers work that way. Feedback leads to revisions meeting critics and remarks comming in.

Isn't that just wonderful?  clapping

Gerner

Troubleless playback.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:43:55 am »

Hi Gerner,

Okay, this one first : Re: 0.9d vs u/i 0.9j.

Then your "desktop" approach ... hmm ... yes, it could be done (if you'd allow me to do that for Engine#3 only (yes you do, I know)).

This very approach in fact is already in there, and the only thing it needs is the "controls" again ("again" because I said such a thing before on another subject, i.e. many many more things are already in there, anticipating on "some" future, and it is just that they cannot by changed or set by the user yet).
It would allow the change of "Engine#3 engines" (hehe) as "realtime" as you can change the other stuff since 0.9j.

But I promise you, you will get crazy of all the options then.
grazy

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Gerner
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:57:34 am »

Hi Gerner,

Okay, this one first : Re: 0.9d vs u/i 0.9j.

Then your "desktop" approach ... hmm ... yes, it could be done (if you'd allow me to do that for Engine#3 only (yes you do, I know)).

This very approach in fact is already in there, and the only thing it needs is the "controls" again ("again" because I said such a thing before on another subject, i.e. many many more things are already in there, anticipating on "some" future, and it is just that they cannot by changed or set by the user yet).
It would allow the change of "Engine#3 engines" (hehe) as "realtime" as you can change the other stuff since 0.9j.

But I promise you, you will get crazy of all the options then.
grazy

Hi Peter

He, you can't make me crazy as I already am  grazy

Yes I allowe you to deal with only #3.

I can accept whatever new things appearing on the desktop. Just tell what it does. He he...

But the result would be that it can now satisfy everybody fanatic about either 9D and 9J. (Me belonging to the last cathegory).  Happy

This way it will become "ULTIMATE".

Gerner

Troubleless playback.
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:26:48 am »

Listening to Modest Mouse today, I realized how awesome my system now sounds with XXHE 0.9D... thank you again...

hey, something has to be posted on this forum about the most awesome sound quality player yet to be created.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

I'll be having a new version somewhere today (your tomorrow Dave Happy). I hope you can forget about 0.9d then ...
whistle

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Gerner
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 10:05:01 am »

I'll be having a new version somewhere today (your tomorrow Dave Happy). I hope you can forget about 0.9d then ...
whistle

Waiting.... too much !

Gerner  prankster

Troubleless playback.
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 10:22:39 am »

It's 1:15 am ... so it's officially tomorrow today... chomp chomp chomping at the bit... hehe

anyhoo going to bed now, so take your time... I'm sure gerner can wait hehe

Gerner
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 02:30:05 pm »

It's 1:15 am ... so it's officially tomorrow today... chomp chomp chomping at the bit... hehe

anyhoo going to bed now, so take your time... I'm sure gerner can wait hehe

Morning there.... sleeping

I can....

Gerner

Troubleless playback.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 12:13:11 am »

G'night here ... I can't ... sleeping

I'm very sorry, but it's getting too hard to hit the right keys. More dead than alive.
The "thing" I wanted to do is a tad more difficult than I expected.
It will be "tomorrow" ...

sorry

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:05 am »

K Just got home, and looked quickly here, saw the new version of .09K, and quickly loaded it up.  OMG I wasn't expecting cue support so you know I'm excited.  No SQ judgements yet... haven't listened.  All I've done is check setting and then dragged a file from explorer.  First off started clicking to see if I could upset/trip it up....tried a second file too.  Works flawlessly so far!!!!  When I drag the huge single WAVs from explorer the cue file info shows up!!!YEA!  album art too!!  K, prolly won't be able to evaluate SQ until tomorrow, but I'll let it play for a bit... sounds good in the background as I work around the house.  Don't let my lack of saying anything about SQ second guess... I haven't listened, just loaded it two seconds ago and wanted to let you know THANKS and that it works well here on the two files I clicked around furiously on... drag bar too... better than J... I would get errors with J.  alright, I'll get to you later... hope you're sleeping now Peter... truly a saint!

SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 04:30:17 am »

Hi Peter,
Just wanted to let you and everyone know that I've been very busy and doing a lot of other things this week.  I promise I'll evaluate between players this weekend.  I'm back teaching right now that summer is over and went to a Pinback concert last night.  I've listened for fun last night for a small bit before falling asleep to the music, and will again tonight, and maybe the rest of the week, to 0.9K.  But won't doing any back and forth evaluating until this weekend.  First blush is sounding very cohesive, nothing jumping out of place, lyrics very intelligible; I'll listen for bass and other differences this weekend.  So no words from me yet.  Hope all the rest of you are enjoying the player too.  Just didn't want you to get anxious because of no posts.  Hope you're getting some fun listening time in too PeterSt.

Leo
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 09:13:49 am »

Well I did some listening yesterday evening and I was glued to my seat once more. I had the uncanny experience when I played 'This is a mean old world' by Sam Cooke which has very artificial stereo which I was wondering about while looking at a football match on tv (no sound of course) when suddenly I heard Sam's voice which was so much right in my room that I immediately looked up, surprised to see who was singing in my room. Very uncanny. So for me it works quite ok this Vitamin K.

Dedicated silent audio pc HFX classic, Windows 8 pro 64bit  / Intel 3930 CPU 6 cores 12 threads,  ASRock x79 Extreme4-M/ SeaSonic Platinum 400w ATX PSU / 16Gb RAM , music on (SATAIII), MinOS/ Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/1/1/1 Qf=1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 1-2* @ UnAttended  /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=0,4 max= 120*  XT Tweaks balanced load 43, nervous=100, cool when idle 1, Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB with Dexa clock -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.3 (2ms) ->  direct to AMP: Gainclone mid high, Hypex DPS400 low, horn system (tractrix for mid/high, BD for bass with Oris200)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 10:50:57 am »

Hope you're getting some fun listening time in too PeterSt.
Oh yes, I do that each and every day for three hours at least. Always looking for the differences or what could be wrong(ish).

But please, don't look back at an older version, unless you think 0.9k is quite wrong. I mean, I would not know what to do anyway with further incorporating 0.9d's "quality". heat

Besides that, we had some very extensive testing (also with Foobar, CDPs), and I think we now can better nail down what was going on with 0.9d. Nothing for words, but when many various tracks are compared between all versions, Foobar, CDplayer, SPDIF/USB, you start to learn what is causing what. Or better, which "technicality" (audible by itself) causes what to your brain and other sensors. From that can be derived what would be wrong and right in absolute means.

[...] when suddenly I heard Sam's voice which was so much right in my room that I immediately looked up, surprised to see who was singing in my room. Very uncanny. So for me it works quite ok this Vitamin K.

Haha, and I bet you never met the man. But indeed that's how it works. The more this happens, the better it is. And since it happens not all the time, we're far from "the" end result, I think.

Were others (probably all) listen to the complete picture for judgement, I hardly do. I listen for technicalities in areas of which I know there is or might be a problem, and while listening to the one thing, I judge the other just the same (like, bass is more tight but how's the bells doing now). And further ... you know it, I don't listen at all. I play rather loud, proposed to be background music in relation to what I'm doing (e.g. cooking) but because all is rather loud, things disturb by itself. Not this album, then the other. If things stay good for a week, all must be fine. Something like that.
But there is fine and fine ...

This time, with 0.9k, I had an experience which was kind of new to me;
Never listening explicitly for the overall picture as said, it suddenly occurs to me that I am listening to an overall picture. Yeah, read again. Happy
So without paying notice to it (like always) it just occurred to me I was now listening to balanced sound / music.

First blush is sounding very cohesive, nothing jumping out of place, lyrics very intelligible;

The fact that one single other person than me tells exactly the same (mind you, this "statement" of SeVeReD is relative to before experiences obviously), tells me that it is just true. His latter words about the lyrics I noticed at first glance the same, but I had it expressed a bit differently : all is now singing right into your face. It's more direct.

If I don't receive real complaints about the SQ, I want to leave SQ as it is for a while;
Many more things to do, and to my belief managing the albums, finding them etc., is more important in this stage. The "Library" tab.
Actually I already started with it ... grazy

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: