XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 29, 2024, 02:51:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FAST audiophile ripping  (Read 33550 times)
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 10:18:42 pm »

The only (totally crazy) explanation I have is that somehow noise is associated with the files on my NAS drive.

Hi Mani,

the only explanation is "not proper shielded cables" against HF emissions. The HF emissions/immissions is for all highend manuf. of USB/ HDMI etc. cables a major argument for their special shielding.

Joachim
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:36 am »

As Chris suggests, dbpoweramp might be an option. Would be interesting to compare rips from dbpoweramp to EAC (using both the 'highend' settings)
The difference between rippers is not in the quality of sound of the ripped file. The differences are convenience, speed, and percent of time they make an accurate rip and that sort of thing. If the cds are ripped correctly, all ripped files will be identical (assuming of course that the compression settings were identical). So if you can check your files for accuracy after they've been ripped and they are, that's all that matters.

As to play back, that's another issue. Some say certain compressed lossless formats sound better than others. If that is so, that would have to do with the decoders and playback software etc., not the files themselves, which after all are bit perfect, proof being that they can all be converted back to their original form.

-Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
Bigear
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 02:57:01 pm »

If the cds are ripped correctly, all ripped files will be identical (assuming of course that the compression settings were identical). So if you can check your files for accuracy after they've been ripped and they are, that's all that matters.

Yes, that's the theory.
With the test version I ripped a CD with dbpoweramp which I earlier had ripped with EAC, both secure mode and Accurip, no cache. I agree, the UI of dbpoweramp is nicer but with the checkups, it took me over 15 min to rip the CD  (Adele 21).
EAC was approx. 30 min.  Both compressed to FLAC.
However, it seemed that in the playback the dbpoweramp had a very light amount of brightness added, making it slightly more 'digital'. I know I'm at dangerous grounds here (placebo, beer etc.). It would be interesting if anyone else can affirm this (or disagree).

i7 920, Asus MB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit / 6 Gb RAM /no updates / music on SATAII  => XX V9z-6 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 5,0,0,0,0 / unattended / SFS 60 Mb memory straight contiguous / system clock 10ms / CPU Engine 3 / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / 16x Arc Prediction / Minimise OS / Peak Extend on / Phase invert off => NOS1 USB DAC => Aitos Pre and End amplifiers => PHY-HP KM30 open baffle.  NOT a single capacitor or coil from DAC chip to speaker
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 06:59:15 am »

However, it seemed that in the playback the dbpoweramp had a very light amount of brightness added, making it slightly more 'digital'. I know I'm at dangerous grounds here (placebo, beer etc.). It would be interesting if anyone else can affirm this (or disagree).

This makes no sense unless you ripped it to a different compression level or did something else to the file (versus the EAC file) that would cause it to be more difficult to decode.

You can't ever truly compare the sound of two files on a computer because there are always factors affecting one that don't affect the other.

If you really think there is a difference I'd first compare the files to ascertain whether that they are identical (same compression ratio--I don't think there's anything else but check it). If they are I would then listen to them individually i.e. reboot your system, play file 1, reboot your system play file 2. Repeat, this time playing file 2 first. Don't do anything to the system in between or before playing either file. Try to make sure everything else is identical as can be. Of course you'll still be listening to the files at different times and in slightly different environmental conditions, but that's life.

As to the time it takes to rip files with Dbpoweramp. Use the regular rip mode (that's what I was referring to), not the secure mode, then if Accurip comes up with errors on particular tracks re-rip those in secure mode.

-Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
Bigear
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
Q
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:21 am »

Hi Chris,

thanks for your advices, I will try.

Cheers,

Quint

i7 920, Asus MB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit / 6 Gb RAM /no updates / music on SATAII  => XX V9z-6 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 5,0,0,0,0 / unattended / SFS 60 Mb memory straight contiguous / system clock 10ms / CPU Engine 3 / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / 16x Arc Prediction / Minimise OS / Peak Extend on / Phase invert off => NOS1 USB DAC => Aitos Pre and End amplifiers => PHY-HP KM30 open baffle.  NOT a single capacitor or coil from DAC chip to speaker
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:26 am »

Chris,

I hope it is known that I am not much into voodoo stuff, but there's really more going on than "check your files". Please don't bother; it is not about that. What it *is* about though, is that some things are beyond our comprehension. Yes, also mine. Most easy is to think about the playback location and what *that* can do. I mean, at least that makes sense *to me*. Not that I worked on it to eliminate it, but it matters - I know.

When you have some time, read this : Burning audio CD while XX playing.
This is not to be denied !
It is not the same subject as we talk about here of course, but it will tell you that things are going on which are right against IT thinking. I'm in the IT business for 35 years now, and I do believe this (all). But I can't explain it (yet). So I'm strange.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:17:14 am »

When you have some time, read this : Burning audio CD while XX playing.
This is not to be denied !

Peter, I just took a quick look at the thread, my eyes are too tired for more at the moment. Anyway, it doesn't seem so strange to me (if I got the gist of it in my quick overview). After all a ripper just rips what comes through as an electrical signal (right?). So if the signal is effected by something, it just records to file whatever comes it's way. But all this has nothing to do with the ripper, just the signal, which I think you implied/said in your post.

Of course I may have missed something in my quick perusal of the other thread.

-Chris

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:38 pm »

Maybe you only missed this little phrase from my last post :

It is not the same subject as we talk about here of course

... and as I said too, I am able to explain this. But let's not forget, what we by now seem to accept as known (fact), sure was not back at the time of that topic.

Give it time and we will all understand more of it.
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 08:00:28 pm »

Maybe you only missed this little phrase from my last post :

It is not the same subject as we talk about here of course

Actually I didn't miss it, (I don't miss nothin') which is why I wrote the following in my post:
 Quote "which I think you implied/said in your post."

I said what I said just to make sure other readers wouldn't confuse what you said with the subject at hand.

And by the way I do think it's a good thing to compare flac files (and others) to see if they're identical. If they do measure as identical but sound different than I can see only the following scenarios as possibilities.

1. That they measure as identical but are not. How could this happen? An incomplete measuring device. For instance 3+4+3=10, 4+3+3=10 if you measure just for result they're identical, but as a whole they're not. Also, and this doesn't seem possible re measuring files of just bits, but that somehow we don't know how to measure for something that's there.

2. As mentioned in an earlier post of mine, they sound different because they're played at different times and therefore in a different environment (slightly) and the listener too has changed (slightly). One might say those changes are extremely minor. Well consider this, one minute it's raining the next it's not. Or as that grating message (because I see it way too often) says "everything matters."

3. Voodoo. Black magic. White magic. Gray area magic.

4. Bias, prejudice, your ears. That sort of thing.

5. Because of where the files are in your system, and what has happened to your system before you played one that's different from what happened before you played the other, even if it is only playing 1 before 2 as opposed to the other way around.

Any other ideas?

-Chris

CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 09:28:29 pm »

6. The files are written in a different ways on the hdd and it is the difference in hdd reading pattern (read noise) that you observe.

7. I have allways wondered how long startconditons or errors (even single ones) persist in the music. Not playing true nos some filtering is allways applied  (steep filters are usually FIR). These filters have a 'memory' for all samples involved in the filteralgorithm. The larger the offset or error, the more noticable this should become. I allways considered FLACs as lossless, so data in flac = data out flac. Never tested this though.

If the data  and checksum (which accounts for sequence) are equal and it still sounds different, it must be the processing (on the pc or in your brain Wink).

Rambling on,

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »

7: One (anlomaly) spike is enough to change the whole track. With nice gapless ? the whole album ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 07:09:35 am »

I allways considered FLACs as lossless, so data in flac = data out flac. Never tested this though.

Well the test for lossless is: Can the compressed file be converted back to the original (the exact original). In the case of flac, supposedly it can. I don't assert this, but then I don't assert anything except perhaps that something = itself.

-Chris

juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »

"the only 'real' Plextor optical drive available seems now to be a DVD R/W  PX L890SA. Not sure if this one supports FUA though. Can't find it on the web."
Bigear

Hey Quint, have you found out if the PX L890SA is "real" Plextor for sure and if it supports FUA?. It can be found as cheap as 25€ in Amazon Spain.

Regards, Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: