XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 26, 2024, 11:46:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Error:"Necessary Privileges have been set. Reboot to make them effective!"v96-1c  (Read 8529 times)
Mordecai Walfish
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:21:44 am »

Version 0.9z-6-1c

Hello!  I have used xxHighEnd for a couple months now and just updated to the latest version, as I remember getting this to play music was like pulling teeth the times I had used it in the past.  The sound quality is excellent, when it works.. but I have had more errors with playback than any other program with xxHighEnd.  Even in the middle of songs xxHighEnd would just stop playing randomly at times even..

That being said, I know it's still beta.  I can tell from the version numbers you are fighting off calling it version 1.0 anytime soon, and rightly so, with so many bugs still in the program.  Might I suggest going from v0.9 to 0.10?

So, anyway, here is the issue:

*EVERY TIME* I try to play back a song with the newest version, I get this annoying pop-up that says:  "Necessary Privileges have been set. Reboot to make them effective! (playback will not start now)"

Then I restart my computer, and then it gives me the same friggin error, every time I try to play a song.  I have UAC turned off, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB of ram..

Dont know where to go from here.  Thanks for any help & good sound quality! (when it works, lol)
andreitour
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:57:00 am »

sorry to hear you're having so many issues...

I too had trouble getting everything dialed in and stable

this was a great help:

A Guide to Glitchless Playback http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1356.0

I've only gotten the "Necessary Privileges have been set. Reboot to make them effective!" msg when playing with sfs file size and type settings

if that helps at all, from what i've read 4gb of system memory does limit you to smaller SFS sizes

dedicated XXHighEnd PC: Amd Phenom II x6, 16GB 1600mhz DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on SSD, M-AUDIO - Audiophile 192, Bryston 3B-ST, Focal Cobalt 815
Mordecai Walfish
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 04:00:19 am »

sorry to hear you're having so many issues...

I too had trouble getting everything dialed in and stable

this was a great help:

A Guide to Glitchless Playback http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1356.0

I've only gotten the "Necessary Privileges have been set. Reboot to make them effective!" msg when playing with sfs file size and type settings

if that helps at all, from what i've read 4gb of system memory does limit you to smaller SFS sizes

Thank you for the link, that guide it looks very helpful.

I figured out the problem through another search on this site just a bit ago, I was just frustrated because I spent over an hour trying to just listen to a couple songs legitimately (some 24/96 vinyl flac's) after having tons of issues getting the program to work the first time and then figuring it out, thinking everything was all good to come back and listen to music properly again soon and just having it completely sh*t all over me with nonsense errors that prevent playback and not even being able to explain what it's associated with (which would honestly have taken up less text than the error that popped up).

It was the memory being set to straight continuous or mixed continuous, mixed worked fine.  I'll have to learn more about that setting, no doubt.  Just frustrating.

Sorry if the original post seemed hot-headed, I was just in the midst of being overly frustrated with the program.  I still cant play more than a couple songs without the program randomly stop playback and disappear.  I also heard skips in a couple songs like it was a cd, lol.  Nothing else open in windows.  DPC Latency under 100m..  Guess I just have to learn how to make this program work.  The times it has, though, the sound quality was excellent.  I would gladly pay for a player that has this high a quality playback, but only if it works properly.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks again for the link. =)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:26:23 am »

Hey hey ... Well, always better to sign up and post about it then moving on !

Now, let's see how much of this you are doing to yourself, and how much of it is teasing by me. Haha.
Ok ... Let's start with this one :

Even in the middle of songs xxHighEnd would just stop playing randomly at times even..

When I download anything smelling like a demo version, I always try to get hold of what's lacking in that demo version. Of course, of course, you can have missed it, but it is hard to imagine. Anyway, the demo version stops randomly. Yea, isn't that irritating eh ?

and rightly so, with so many bugs still in the program

But let me tell you upfront, that there will be more "pilot errors" coming up when you tell about them, then that bugs are really there. Oh yea, I dare ...
But no no, don't get angry, because the opposite is my intention. But sometimes people have to learn how to go about with my little "logic". So :

and just having it completely sh*t all over me with nonsense errors that prevent playback and not even being able to explain what it's associated with

Is that so ? well, if you want to spend the time (which is only because I like it on a Sunday, but possibly it may help you at the same time), what about showing me such an error. Btw, what you call an error, I most probably will call a message, and a message should tell you something. This is not what you are telling me, so or this is about some real "error", or you didn't read its contents ...
Here might be the proof already :

I figured out the problem through another search on this site just a bit ago
[...]
It was the memory being set to straight continuous or mixed continuous, mixed worked fine.

Of course not !
How on earth are you able to come up with this as the solution (mind you, through search), while having missed the real solution ? or at least that your solution is just avoiding the problem ? This is not what I call a solution ...

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1547.msg15678#msg15678

I hope the above link brings you further. And when not, let's continue the subject. But please, don't think using Mixed Mode is the solution. One step further and you're back to Foobar. Haha.

Of course all is about the best SQ possible. And you didn't even start with that. Ok, great that you thought you did, but the real "problems" are still ahead of you. Partly you can't see them because of using the demo version, but partly this is because of fighting with the basale stuff at this moment. And of course, I am to blame that all has become somewhat more complicated, but things really go wrong when messages are interpreted as "errors" without content or direction. So moral : please change this way of looking at things, because I know I made it like that. Also, don't be to ignorant about this (I don't say you were !) because that's deemed to be so after I'm telling it to you like this.

Sorry if the original post seemed hot-headed, I was just in the midst of being overly frustrated with the program.

Man, of course you are. No doubt about that. Just saying ... Happy

I also heard skips in a couple songs like it was a cd, lol.

Please keep in mind that
a. this undoubtedly will be true again, but
b. it is the wrong remark after being guided to that "glitchless playack" topic. You will know ... (and one day you may think back on this)

I am not teaching you. But you really have to realize that we are doing crazy things in here, and when your PC is even the slightest not on par, things won't work. So, not teaching, but preaching maybe. Moral here : when you encounter glitches or anything of the sort, your SQ will be far away from optimal. This is about quite some settings and combinations, and if I were only able to tell specifically you what to do. But I can't because it is your PC, and actually only you know what you did "to it". That is, if you know at all, because obviously this isn't about you in all cases, but about other prorgrams installed. How can you know (except for maybe understanding that audio needs a dedicated PC). So this is why the ShutDown Services is in there (you can use that now, even in the demo version). It will help. Try it. But this is also why the Minimize OS functionality is in there now (from off 0.9z-6). This, sadly, is for Activated versions only. And no, I am not telling you to get that license; not at all. But at the moment you will get the hang of what improves, it will be obvious to you that getting that license will improve beyond some imagination. Along the way you will understand that the Core Appointment Schemes will help you all over with it (glitches maybe, improved SQ, just other "dials" to influence SQ).
So that is all up to you.

heat
And then to think you weren't complaining about the SQ at all ! haha. Now, I do it for you !!

So, isn't this a strange post ? yes, of course it is. But hopefully it shows how important it is that people complain when there is something to complain. Look in the forum ... where are all these complaints ? they are not there, while it is obvious that long term users will if there is something. I know.
So, this *is* about at last someone having the guts to put out the complaints (you), and it is a good thing. But next, hopefully, it shows how much it is about yourself, and how much it could have been avoided it in the first place.

That a large deal of this lies with me is another thing. I'm serious. But I guess it is just true that when the focus is on the best SQ, the other obvious things (which you encounter) are no real subject. And again, it *needs* those complaints to see it in the first place. They are just not - or hardly there. In any event not enough. People move on instead.

So, thank you ? yes. But now think how helpful it will be when you indeed make some screencopies of those nothing-saying error messages, and let them preceed by what you were doing before they showed up; or I can improve the message, or I possibly can avoid whatever it needs. Pilot errors ? fine. But if next things become ununderstandable - my fault.

So *if* you care to spend the time ... it would be helpful. I see it as an opportunity really, and more people like you should be around ...

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Mordecai Walfish
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:10:00 am »

Wow, looking back at my first post here I really sounded like a dick.  Sorry for that again, and I appreciate you responding with such a positive attitude, it's quite refreshing to know a developer is grounded enough to accept even ignorant criticism.

It is true I wanted to try this program originally for exceptional sound quality.  I found that when first using the program, and quite enjoyed the experience.  Although there were a few hiccups, and errors popping up left and right, when it worked, it sounded great.  I look forward to optimizing it further and I *should* be dedicating my whole pc to the sound playing and nothing more, that is how I have intended to use it the entire time. 

My mistake was not looking through the forums here first for proper guides.  After seeing all the technicalities that can occur when using this program to achieve optimal sound and the ways to manipulate a Windows PC to do this, I have a much greater appreciation of what you are trying to achieve here.

It's just gonna take some research, but I feel it will be worth it =)

For the message: "Necessary Privileges have been set. Reboot to make them effective! (playback will not start now)", I firmly believe some indicator that this is related to the memory stream method should be provided with the message, it is certainly anything but obvious, unless you absolutely know that you changed that setting and *only* that setting before getting the message.  Pretty counter-intuitive.

I called it an "error" before because after the "message" would pop up, there would be a following "error message" as well, alerting that the audio engine could not start.  This was accompanied by the windows "error sound", so i instantly associated it with "error", thats all =).  You are correct in assuming it is the actual "message" itself that had me frustrated.

Anyway, thank you for your politeness and patience with me, I'll do my best to study up on your program adequately before posting anymore ignorant rants on the forums  Wink

-M.Walfish
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:01:32 am »

The problem with that "Privilige" thing is that "officially" (or something) this settings isn't allowed for some W7 (and Vista) versions. Will be Home versions (I didn't look it up exactly). This, besides strange characters being in that Windows setting which seems a Windows bug, porbably springing from language versions (which are about since Vista SP1 IIRC). Btw, I am not sure whether the link I provided covers that all (possibly via-via other links, but when you search for "privilige" quite come topics will popup).
Anyway, thus far each of the situations could be solved (by means of the topics concerned).

Thank you for responding positively to my post, which of course was a bit of a rant just the same. Still for the good cause really. Seriously, people complain not enough.
What I at least got from your privilige situation, is that it would be so easy to let accompany that message (about the reboot) with something like "and if this happens a second time, please see forum topic such and so". But why didn't I think of this before ? I mean, there are sufficiently enough posts about people having problems with it; Solving the situation for them is nice, but preventing the whole frustrating thing is another. Just expand that message a little ... So see ? this is why your post helps, and isn't appreciated as ranting at all. And the fact that it isn't my fault really tells me nothing. Only that it needs more explicit attention from my side (instead of me moving on to a next subject Happy).

Well, 'nuff said about it now;
Just try to get it going, and if you need help on it, please say so. Or if you encounter something else than what was posted about it (or what you read about it hehe), please let that know too. Just for a next one.

Ah, one last thing :
The GUI just disappearing, or sound just stopping (when you play without GUI ("Unattendedly")), *was* made to be irritating indeed. But this was 4 years back, and your misunderstanding about it really isn't the first time. Maybe the 20th (hey, when people tell about it !). So, that too got me thinking at last ... How easy would it be to let it be less irritating and just pop up a message "Demo Play time expired for this session".
Should be irritating enough ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Mordecai Walfish
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:34 am »

A message before the demo shuts down would *certainly* make it so new users would not assume the player was just buggy and crashing.  Right now that's pretty much the only thing a new user could really assume without knowing that the demo is limited in time beforehand, which is not at all apparent.   S.O.S. !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: