XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 02:43:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NOS1 on spikes  (Read 41297 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:41 pm »

My recent experience (and big surprise) was that cheap bare copper speaker wire (& enamelled twisted) performed much much better than expensive ptfe coated copper speaker wire that was of excellent construction (properly Litzendraht wound) and high quality copper. So the only real difference between the two was the PTFE coating on the copper strands in the expensive speaker cable. But PTFE dielectric constant is about as good as you can get in plastic. Maybe there is some other mechanism at work?.

Certainly these guys  http://www.ocellia.com/Anglais/a-welcome.html  (check out the section under "Cables" "MDI" http://www.ocellia.com/Anglais/a-mdi.html ) seem to think so and they use only natural materials rather than plastic of any type.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Tore
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »

Steen Duelund about plastic: As I hear it, it must have a kind of memory - much like the effect
known from capacitors, and thereby works as an active element in the
dimension of time, where it should be silent. This effect explains why
it sounds of more than is measured.

http://www.steenduelund.dk/download/kabler%20intro.pdf

Phasure Mach III, 12/24 core (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=0.69 max=140,19 /XTweaks = 35, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 ->  Blaxius^2.5 , Crazy A monoblocs, Avantgarde Duo Omega
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 08:38:17 am »

Hi Tore - Good article and very interesting the author seems to have the same rigour to his testing as does someone else around here that I can think of  Happy some really interesting points though.

I have not tried them myself but some say that quantum purifiers substantially remove/reduce the difference between different types and materials of speaker cables so maybe they address a fundamental problem in the transmission of the signal along the cable. It would be great to have the time to make a thorough investigation with a "golden eared" listening panel. It seems that for all the fancy prices of speaker cable on the market that the suppliers have not really investigated the fundamentals.

I am not sure about "MDI" its only a theory and the technical paper is not technical at all. It is interesting that my original teflon coated speaker cables took some burning in but the bare copper cables and the lacquer coated cables needed no burning in. Also as far as I could tell bare copper and lacquer coated sounded the same. If the MDI theory worked then maybe we could expect the lacquer coated cables to sound as bad as teflon coated. So maybe there is another reason but for sure plastic appears to be a bad thing.
Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:27 pm »

Shure there must be a mechanical difference between pfte (or other plastic) and a laquer coating causing a different mechanical resonance. Think of a violin coated with pfte, though copper is much less resonant than wood of course.

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:50 pm »

FWIW I think the plastic is responsible for the memoryeffect and colouration like a bad capacitor. (Even teflon does not give the best capacitors). The resonance gets less if the cable is stiff and when you twist some bare cables together they get more stiff.
It's good to hear the enamel does not alter the sound.
I did not try really bare wire since this is going to be oxidized to quickely!

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
Bigear
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 07:19:11 pm »

For who is interested and to come back to the topic, I compared the plexiglass Quadraspire QX feets with the the Ebony wood spikes recommended by Hein (thanks  Happy ). The Quadraspires sounded more spacious, however the Ebony spikes more natural.

i7 920, Asus MB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit / 6 Gb RAM /no updates / music on SATAII  => XX V9z-6 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 5,0,0,0,0 / unattended / SFS 60 Mb memory straight contiguous / system clock 10ms / CPU Engine 3 / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / 16x Arc Prediction / Minimise OS / Peak Extend on / Phase invert off => NOS1 USB DAC => Aitos Pre and End amplifiers => PHY-HP KM30 open baffle.  NOT a single capacitor or coil from DAC chip to speaker
Bigear
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

Latest upgrade on the spike front... African Blackwood cubes (I bought them at Musical Affairs), put below the NOS1 gives a significant improvement in sound. A huge soundstage and improved instrument/voice seperation. Voices and instruments get more 'body', an effect I have not heard before when using spikes.
A great bang for the buck....IMHO. Happy

i7 920, Asus MB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit / 6 Gb RAM /no updates / music on SATAII  => XX V9z-6 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 5,0,0,0,0 / unattended / SFS 60 Mb memory straight contiguous / system clock 10ms / CPU Engine 3 / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / 16x Arc Prediction / Minimise OS / Peak Extend on / Phase invert off => NOS1 USB DAC => Aitos Pre and End amplifiers => PHY-HP KM30 open baffle.  NOT a single capacitor or coil from DAC chip to speaker
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: