XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 11:55:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: About ripping  (Read 38158 times)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:13:51 pm »

Trying always to improve my system, now it has been the time to dig more deeply in to the ripping process.
Whatever is the quality of the original cd, issue being discussed in some other threads, it is easy to understand that it is of a major importance to pass that original material in the best possible way to the PC/XXHighEnd system. This post is about it.
I want to put here clearly that itīs not my intention to go through the abrupt paths of the technical issues, far from my ability to deal with the technical stuff. The only tools I have are the same ones all of you have: the ears. Of course Iīve tried to use as much tests as possible in as much as "scientific" possible way. Testing as been done using several cds I know very well and listening the tracks in the same condition of listening environment (position, volume...).

Iīve been testing basically two different  software and two ways of ripping cds.

Software: EAC: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/
EAC is free but if you want a GD3 plugin to get better metadata you have to pay $7,99

and

dBpoweramp Reference: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm
dBpoweramp cost is $38 but it is a suite and has 5 meta data providers and FUA capability if your DVD/CD-Rom supports it, FUA is a command that can quickly remove the cached audio. That helps to find errors while ripping.

Both need to be connected to Internet in order to take full advantage of Meta Data and AccurateRip (a technology that verify ripped tracks against an Internet database): http://www.accuraterip.com/

I used basically two different ways of ripping that I would call indirect and direct:

Indirect way of ripping: That means ripping first the cds to an usb card or an usb hdd from a laptop (in my case) to pass the files later to the music PC.

Direct way of ripping:  Ripping it directly in the hhd of the music PC putting even the ripped files in the final folders from where they are going to be played.

Before I continue let me say that I understand (more or less) the logic of "bit perfect" and that if a rip is bit perfect it shouldnīt matter if you rip it directly to the final hdd or rip it first to an usb card. As Peter says only matters where it is played from (in XXHighEnd) besides other things (I donīt know about those other things).  That means that using bit perfect ripping I shouldnīt notice differences, but...I did.
Also let me point out that my NOS1 USB is still breaking in, now around the famous 20th day, but I think that the conclusions are still valid. The only thing that could change in the next future is an improvement in sound but I guess that the differences still will be maintained.

As I said, Iīm not going to go into the technical basis so let me share with you my findings:

- The differences are subtle but noticeable

EAC v. dbBpoweramp Reference:

I used EAC with the caché unticked (Peter suggestion, if I understood well) and ticked (Mani suggestion, if I understood well) and couldnīt find audible differences.

The dBpoweramp I used is the complete Reference one with the Ultra Secure ripping enabled, also enabled are "Clear Read Cache with FUA" (more about it later) and "C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection"

These are my conclusions on this regard:

- EAC: seems more lay back and smoother at first glance.

- dBpoweramp Reference: seems more in front, more edgy at first glance but at the end is that it is just more detailed and the scene is reacher. The highs are smoooooth and beautiful. The sound seems a little louder than with EAC, I guess that itīs due to a fuller soundstage with a perception of a wider and deeper 3D space.

Indirectly ripped v. directly ripped

At first I used the indirect method because Iīm kind of maniac with the PC from where I play music, I wanted to keep this PC as free as possible from any software other than the OS and XXHigEnd, I was not using antivirus and neither Internet on this music PC.
I tried the direct ripping after reading some posts from Mani, Peter, and others and now Iīm glad that I did it.

Conclusion on this issue:

Directly ripped with the software installed in the music PC and ripping choosing the path to the folder where the file is going to stay I perceive a more defined sound with a more delineated scene. Kind of a palpable relief.

I also tested to rip all the cd in only one file and I coulnīt find it sounding better, on the contrary the sound seems to me a little duller.

Of course all these observations are due to a combination of all the parts involved and not only to one, Iīve just tried to choose the best possible combination: software, the way to use it and also the hardware involved on it.

About the hardware let me tell you that I was surprised when I saw that the CD-ROM driver that I had without use in the music PC, it supports FUA and rips quite fast the cds. So I can recommend it to the ones interested in getting a CD ROM with FUA capability. Price: 8,50 GBP in Amazon uk:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002IST634. I bought a second unit to have it as spare. Btw, I updated my PC post to show that CD ROM capability: http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.msg16893#msg16893

So, here it is my final choice: dBpoweramp Reference, with the mentioned settings and ripping directly to the final folder in XXHighEnd (Galleries).

Of course I could saved a lot of time following otherīs advise (Mani) but I wanted to get here, as I said, by my own ears. Thanks though, Mani.

All of these appreciations are subjective, as I stated above, and are observed in my system, that means that in your case could be, as always, different, but there is also here some objective information that I hope will be useful for the ones that are interested in the ripping process.

Regards,
Juan

PS. Music used for testing:

- Jazz a Saint Germain. Various Artists. Virgin (7243 8452622 1). 1997
- ELIS. Sadao Watanabe. WEA. 1988
- Words. The Tony Rich Project. LaFace. 1995
- Klavierkonzert No.5 "Emperor". Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli. Giulini. W.S. (D.G. 419 249-2). 1982
- Akiko Suwanai. Max Bruch. Philips (454 180-2). 1997
- Raya Yarbrough. (CD-83658). Telarc. 2007
- Alicia Keys. Songs in A minor. BMG. Arista Records. 2001
- Kari Bremnes. Norwegian Mood. HDCD. Kirkelig Kulturverdsted. 2000
- Lluís Llach. Un Pont de Mar Blava. Picap (B-20289-93). Recorded 1993
- Tarres/Serrat. Cansiones. BMG. 2000
- Buika. Niņa de fuego. Casa Limón. 2008
- Nina Simone. The 60īS Vol. I. Mercury. (838 543-2). (1964-1965). 1990
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:26:40 am by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »

Another of your superb posts Juan !
Great thanks from me and I'm sure on behalf of many others.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:57:34 pm »

Thank you Peter, I appreciate your kind words

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

......., besides I donīt use antivirus and donīt need internet because I donīt want windows updates.

Hi,

nice article.

If I read your post correct , the disadvantage is that without an internet connection you will not have any access to the databases and no confirmation from AccurateRip within dBp for a "bit perfect" rip.

So I use one PC with an internet connection for dBp and then I have to transfer the files with an USB stick to the music PC. I see no other route to get the files to .............. .

Joachim
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:35:48 pm »

Hi Joachim,

In order to get full advantage of dBp or EAC you need to have an Internet connection in the computer you have the ripping software installed, itīs needed to get the Meta Data and to use AccurateRip.

What I wanted to say is that when I was using my laptop to rip the cds the internet connection was in this laptop. In such a case I was using the music PC just for playing music and I wanted to keep this music PC as "clean" as possible even without internet. This is what I called the "indirect" way of ripping because I used an usb card to transport the ripped cds from the laptop to the music PC.

Now that I use the "direct" ripping method I have the internet connection in my music PC. No other software in this PC other than XXHighEnd and dBpoweramp. Neither antivirus.

Sorry if I was confusing
Juan

Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:21:41 am »

- EAC: seems more lay back and smoother at first glance.

- dBpoweramp Reference: seems more in front, more edgy at first glance but at the end is that it is just more detailed and the scene is reacher. The highs are smoooooth and beautiful. The sound seems a little louder than with EAC, I guess that itīs due to a fuller soundstage with a perception of a wider and deeper 3D space.
Hi juan and thanks for your post. What I do not understand is why the programs should lead to a different sound when the files they produce are bit by bit identical. At least when they are correctly set up they should produce the same files. Shouldn't the sound difference be introduced by other things like were they are stored or something else?
You could try hex compare to compare the files. If they are different then there is a wrong setting in one of the programs. If they are identical there can not be a fingerprint of the ripping program. The sound differences must come due to something else.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:07:31 am »

Thanks Juan.  I've often thought of doing this same comparison and now find its unnecesary--either dbPoweramp is better or they are identical, I can live with that!

I manage "direct ripping" with a Vista partition that has antivirus and internet enabled (Belkin wireless usb adapter--no internal wireless card.). Music is ripped to a second internal HD that's automatically backed up to an external drive whenever I plug the external drive in, usually in the morning when I'm in Vista, cruzing the internet and listening to my totally not optimised vista version of xxhighend. My W7 partition has no antivirus or internet enabled, just the OS- minimized- and XXhighend.   

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:35 am »

Hi,

I also experienced some strage phenomena wrt bit identical files. My theory that sound differences are due to the different ways the bits are stored on the harddisc. As shown above both the ripping software as the hdd it is stored (and transferred to) seem to matter. Ultimately we should verify if the files end up the same way in the memory.

Furthermore any sampling to a higher rate may 'remember' any wrong sample for quite some time. Theorethically a few dropped or wrong bits are not audible. I wonder if you hear any difference just playing plain nos (no ap or any sampling enabled).
In this light padded 'zero' samples could very well influence the sound as they might influence the memory allocation as well.

Interesting stuff indeed!

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »

Shouldn't the sound difference be introduced by other things like were they are stored or something else?

Hi Flecko,

This is what Peter said in a previous post about this issue:

"Two identical files should not bring any difference that I can think of.
The processing coming along with it (like rip - play after 5 minutes or so), does.
The location where it is played from ? does.
There's some more."

As I said in my post Iīm not a technical guy, so I canīt help on this regard, sorry. What I can say is that ripping with the two different methods (direct/indirect) and with the two different software (EAC/dBpoweramp) and locating the ripped files in the same directory, even in the same final folder, the sound is different. Why?, some other could explain it better. What I did is to choose the method I liked more or sound better for my taste. Something absolutely subjetive and I can uderstand perfectly that other person could choose other different method/software. This is why Iīd recommend to test it in your own system.

Thanks Juan.  I've often thought of doing this same comparison and now find its unnecesary--either dbPoweramp is better or they are identical, I can live with that!

I manage "direct ripping" with a Vista partition that has antivirus and internet enabled (Belkin wireless usb adapter--no internal wireless card.). Music is ripped to a second internal HD that's automatically backed up to an external drive whenever I plug the external drive in, usually in the morning when I'm in Vista, cruzing the internet and listening to my totally not optimised vista version of xxhighend. My W7 partition has no antivirus or internet enabled, just the OS- minimized- and XXhighend.  

Hi boleary,

I know your post about it:

"Anyone ever done an analysis of dbpoweramp v EAC? Is one supposed to be better than the other?"

That pushed me to make this test, so the idea was yours and I thank you for it. I encourage you, however, to do a test and thus have more points of view.

If I understand well you have two partitions in one hdd, one with Vista and other one with W7. The partition with Vista has internet/antivirus/dBpoweramp. The partition with W7 has the OS and XXHigEnd. You have also another internal hdd where you send "directly" the ripped files. That files are backed up to an external hdd automatically when you plug it in.
Is that correct?. If so I think thatīs a similar way to rip as mine. Could it be even better than mine because I have dBp in the same drive as XXHighEnd and the OS and I donīt know if it could have any influence in sound.

Hi,

I also experienced some strage phenomena wrt bit identical files. My theory that sound differences are due to the different ways the bits are stored on the harddisc. As shown above both the ripping software as the hdd it is stored (and transferred to) seem to matter. Ultimately we should verify if the files end up the same way in the memory.

Furthermore any sampling to a higher rate may 'remember' any wrong sample for quite some time. Theorethically a few dropped or wrong bits are not audible. I wonder if you hear any difference just playing plain nos (no ap or any sampling enabled).
In this light padded 'zero' samples could very well influence the sound as they might influence the memory allocation as well.

Interesting stuff indeed!

Regards, Coen

Hi Coen,

Very interesting, I donīt know if I would be able to make correctly that test, maybe others could enlight us about it.

Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:26 pm »

An old one, but one of the very best in here : Burning audio CD while XX playing.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 11:08:30 am »

Some of my older cds have errors when ripping, thatīs due to some scratches because of the use.

The problem is that when I rip this cds in my Sony laptop with a Blueray/dvd/cdrom driver using EAC or dBpoweramp they are ripped correctly with no errors detected but if I rip these cds in my music PC with the LG driver either with EAC or dBpoweramp the errors are detected.

What does it mean? that the Sony driver is a bad driver because it doesnīt detect the errors or is the LG driver in the music PC that is a bad driver that canīt read correctly some cds in bad conditions?.

After I read the thread mentioned by Peter in the previous post I took other path. I made a copy of one of those cds using Nero in a cdr and after that I ripped directly this cdr in my music PC. The result: perfect files with no errors at all and correct AccurateRip results in all the tracks.

Iīd like some help though on the previous question about which one is the bad driver

Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 12:21:51 pm »

Iīd like some help though on the previous question about which one is the bad driver

A first quick response : you need a third drive, and hope it shows the same results as one of the others.
This is just the general rule.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »

A first quick response : you need a third drive, and hope it shows the same results as one of the others.
This is just the general rule.

Thanks Peter,

Well, then itīs a matter of probability.

Thinking again about it, if I get Accuraterips with the laptop that means that they are correctly read. If the music PC canīt read that files could means that the laser or whatever in the driver is not as good for reading.
Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 12:39:11 pm »

What does it mean? that the Sony driver is a bad driver because it doesnīt detect the errors or is the LG driver in the music PC that is a bad driver that canīt read correctly some cds in bad conditions?.

You can go two directions here :

The LG drive is the bad boy. Possibly you can proove this by means of reripping and check for the positions where the errors are. You can see this happening during ripping (with EAC anyway), and when the errors are at different spots per rip, throw out the drive.
Notice that for such a situation the "Glitch" functionality in XXHE has been created. Rightclick on a track - Analysis - Glitching. I hope it still works, because I didn't use it in ages. Somewhere a log file will come from it (don't even ask me where or how it is called). Works with .WAV files only.
It will give you insight in where the errors are, and how severe they are. But, foir *glitching* which means that values "stick" for a number of samples (while they should be different always).

The Sony works with a cache and doesn't allow to see the errors. This is strange reasoning when AccurateRip tells all is OK, but think something like it always needs more than one read (of a portion) to ever detect a second time is different from a first. *This* would be denoted as errors, and what's most read will be put to disc (at least this is how EAC works). This means that a first time reads coincidentally OK (because AccurateRip tells you that), while a second time which could have been different won't be different ever because of the cache.

Of course #1 will be the logical answer (and culprit).

If the music PC canīt read that files could means that the laser or whatever in the driver is not as good for reading.

Again, of course.

Also :
I created that Glitch Analysis because my (ever back Plextor) drive clearly showed errors by looking at the process of ripping (EAC) while no single error was reported from it. This was without AccurateRip though. I'm only saying that things can go wrong with reasons beyond you (or plain bugs in EAC), and in this case the glitches were audible all over.
I had dozens and dozens of CDs ripped before I noticed they were all wrong.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 12:51:21 pm »

Ok, thank you, I need some time to check it with Glitching in XXHigEnd and today is time to start thinking a little about tonight dinner and all those kind of things.

Happy Christmas to all of you!! Happy new year ! Nice

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: