XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 30, 2024, 11:17:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win7 on Mac Mini  (Read 11319 times)
cfmsp
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:18:37 am »

Hello Peter, Mani and others I recognize.

I've a question about the setup & configuration for trying XXHE on Apple hardware.  I'm a total windows idiot when it comes to audio, but have much experience tweaking OS X music servers.  I also have limited Linux experience, but I have been listening to Auraliti PK90 for the last few months.

I'm considering purchase of my first ever Windows license to try out a couple of Windows software players. Note: as a lifelong consultant, I've been exposed to Windows on a regular basis since I move off the mainframe in the early 90s.  Happy

I'm assuming I should pick up 64bit version of Win 7 SP1, either Home or Pro.  Does it matter which?  I'll be expecting to control the Windows music "server" from a Macbook Air. Not sure if I can use all the necessary features of Remote Desktop with the Home version.

My available hardware is a Mac Mini 4,1 (aka mid-2010 thru mid-2011).  I'd be using Bootcamp of course, to run Windows (almost?) natively in it's own partition.  I could also run this on the latest model Macbook Air, but prefer the Mini unless there's an advantage to the latter.

Any setup, install, XXHE-specific issues, concerns, I should worry about if I install Win7 on the Mac box?

Note: yes, I'm quite aware that the Mac Mini is a "cesspool of noise"(TM).  This is why I switched to an Auraliti PK90 toaster, several months ago.  In an ideal world, I'd move to a CAPS type setup, or better, running XXHE via a Linux box (a la Mani's recent setup), but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

clay

PS, FWIW, I have an XP license

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:26 am »

Hi there clay !

I see two reasons to not choose W7 Home :
- No RDC (Remote Desktop Control) possibility;
- Awkwardness with allocating Contiguous Memory (which is one of better XXHE's options for SQ). It can work, but with hassle.

I don't think the Air is to be preferred. At least one user can't get it really right as it seems (this is including the NOS1). This actually counts for everything which we may call "underpowered". It just matters.

The noise itself from such setups shouldn't be the biggest problem, and / because this is where XXHE jumps in and does its job. BUT, things may become out of control when it is about e.g. USB connections which can be too noisy. Of course then you must utilize them for your DAC; otherwise the point is moot. Also not to forget : where the one USB port maybe OK, the other may be completely wrong. So, keep this in mind for later, and test it.

I see no further real problems, apart from a 2 core (which you may have) sure not being better than 4 core with hyperthreading (thus 8 core). This really matters for SQ. And, you might have a 2 core version. Still you can try it, but it may leave you with the feeling "couldn't it be better ?".

It is also worth to mention that actually without exception people keep in struggling with anything which is not on par really. Not because I say so, but because I just see it happening. I hope I'm allowed to say it, but today's example is Claudius who is waiting (forever) for someone to show up in his neighbourhood with an on-par machine so his doubts can be taken away. And, since in the end everybody turns out with that on-par machine, it saves some frustration when it's done right away. But :

Please notice that this latter is about the somewhat more extreme situation including the NOS1. This d*mn thing shows really everything, also what's not the best. So, maybe I am talking you into unrealities, but still it would be true that the underpowered machine is not the best in absolute sense.

Maybe Mani can enlighten you somewhat more about his CAPS, and all I know is that this can be okay for SQ, but may be more slow to your likings on the disc I/O department. Here too, in all honesty, this is NOS1 related and the playback of 32/705.6 which of course is something different than 16/44.1 (hey, that's only 32 times more consuming !!).
So we must be careful not to compare too much with apples and oranges.

Anymore questions ? shoot !
Peter

PS: When you install W7 SP1, please shut off the auto updates right away (and never perform them manually either). It would be THE way to let change your SQ underway without knowing whatever happened.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:30 am »

Hi Clay, welcome to the Phasure boards! I never thought I'd see the day... pigs will fly... and you'll be wanting a NOS1 soon!

I have no experience with Bootcamp whatsoever - so sorry, can't help you there. But runnning XX on a number of different PCs? Sure.

I agree 100% with Peter. XX just works more effectively on faster PCs. If you can live with a powerful PC (with the necessary SMPS and fans, etc) then this is the way to go. I myself just can't. Call it psychological or whatever (I don't have the means to really measure this stuff, apart from 'mechanical' noise of course) but I don't want any SMPSs in the same circuit as my hifi, or indeed any fan/HDD noise in the PC. So, I've gone down the CAPS route, as you know. Does it work with XX? Yep, absolutely. And with an XX feature called 'Minimise OS', it really works better than an Atom has a right to.

BUT... if there were a way to totally electrically isolate the PC from the NOS1, there is no doubt whatsoever that I would just put together a big bad PC and stick it in my basement, running off the house AC circuit. Ideally, I'd then want some sort of optical connection to the NOS1.

Oh and although I'm over the moon with my Linux-based Network Audio Adapter, my two NOS1s aren't going anywhere - aong with XX, they're still the best way I know how of playing back 16/44.1.

On a final note, I've tried Remote Desktop. It works fine. But it means you can't use the 'Minimise OS' function in XX as this disables all LAN/WLAN. Apparently, this matters for SQ. (I wonder what affect the LAN connection then has on my NAA... Hmmm.)

Mani

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:56:08 pm »

Hi Clay,
Installing Windows is quite easy and you will be guided by bootcamp. Installing and using xxhighend is not. It is, if you follow Peters Installationguide close.
Claudius

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit *SP1* on sd (Macbook Air)/ Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *30*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *4096*) / ClockRes = *15ms* / Mixed / SFS = 400 / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended /All Services Off/ *Minimize OS = On* / *Double Octo* Arc Prediction Upsampling /24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 -> Octave HP500 SE ->ADAM Pencil (active) (all PCs Lessloss Signature, Lessloss Firewall, ICs Lessloss Anchorwave and HMS Sestetto, 3 Lessloss Blackbodies)
cfmsp
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 02:35:22 am »

I never thought I'd see the day... pigs will fly... and you'll be wanting a NOS1 soon!

Thanks Peter, Mani and Claudius.

As for the "when pigs fly" comment, well, my reticence was despite huge amount of respect for Peter's work, and your  opinions of it (which I trust).  I just hate the idea of having to buy a Windows license for audio, when I've avoided doing so thus far.

So, I'll get the Pro version.  Have no idea why Ultimate version was suggested for CAPS V2 - more services to turn off I guess.

Is 16B a reasonable amount of disk space?

Mani,  I'm very well aligned with your thinking on smaller processing footprint, power supply, etc.

thanks all
clay

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:36:19 am »

Is 16B a reasonable amount of disk space?

Possibly, but it depends on what you mean. swoon

Each disk space which can hold your music files is sufficient of course, but when you have to buy something for it, get a 2TB. Just because it is affordable.
Try to put your music not on the same disk as the OS disk. That is safer, but also better (this is XXHE stuff for later). But when all on the same disk is unavoidable, so be it.

Thank you for your kind words,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
cfmsp
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:45:56 pm »

Possibly, but it depends on what you mean. swoon

Sorry, Peter, I should have been more specific.  I meant for the OS partition.

I suppose to do this right, I need to re-partition an entire external drive (to use for music files) in FAT32, for best access via either OS - linux and Windows?

I'm now shamefully aware of the extent I've totally ignored any opportunity to learn about best practices for Windows audio.

thanks again,
clay
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »

Hey hey, I don't know everything either !

If you really want to access the one partition from the three OSes you mention, maybe you are correct. But I don't know (a thing about Linux). Maybe this is another reason to attach another disk so you can do that the way needed, without touching the OS partion ?

Btw, I never really tried to find it, but I wonder whether I will be able to see my OSX partition when in Windows (7) ...
Maybe not.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: