XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 01:23:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High-End on Tour 2012  (Read 5990 times)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:50:00 pm »

Hi All,
I visited the High-End on Tour 2012 in Darmstadt today(04-05.02.2012). I want to give you a small impression of what I have heard. The system I would have taken home, if I had to choose a complete demonstration set, would have been Chord CD Red + Chord Pre CPA3000 (Not sure wich model) - Two Chord SPM 1400E on Dynaudio Evidence Series. The bass was for sure the biggest weakness of the system and could be better with another speaker. But the musical presentation was very good. There was a natural sound, especially there was not this high frequency "noise" so many other systems produce. The chord-dynaudio system was very engaging and animated to swing to the music. Very nice. I also liked the esoteric system with canton reference. Which was also a very fine system but not the one I would have chosen because of the "noisy" sound in the highs. The salesman of esoteric had no idea of the technology but he was the best at presenting his system. Not too loud, not too long tracks. I enjoyed it. The biggest surprise was the new Marin Logan electrostatic speakers. A very dynamic and intense sound with surprisingly good bass out of a very small cabinet. Despite some instruments were falling apart because of tonality issues, it was very exciting to listen to this speaker and it is one of the " want to have at home" items. Also amazing were the Diapason Karis. Unbeliveable how much bass these tiny speakers were producing, while the speakers vanished completely. They were driven by an Northstar Essensio and a Mastersound tube amp. With a good transistor amp and a better DAC like for example the NS Extremo this could be all you need. My Award for the best bass gets the Avangarde Acoustics Trio with 4xBasshorn. Very fast and deep. Also the midrange/highs were detailed and relaxed even at volumes where other speakers seem to shout at you. Disadvantage to me was, the sound was falling appart and I guess this is due to the big displacement between the drivers BUT if you are sitting in the right place this problem could be manageable. The AA Duo could be even better in this aspect. Still AA Duo is on my favorites list. I was disappointed by Backes and Müller and ATC. Active systems are by many people considered to be "the best" but they could not convince me. I was listening to a B&M line 35. There was a lot of high and midrange detail but just boring, dry, flat, harsh...Not my cup of tea. The Salesman from ATC screwed up the volume till my ears start to bleed. The bass of the ATC SCM 100 SL At was a little disappointing. A little rumbling and not very clear. Mids and highs seems to be very good and if the presentation would have been better, this could have been a good demonstraion with a good speaker. Maybe because they have 100% analogue technology they sounded more natural than the B&M. All in all I had a wonderfull and interesting day. Hope you enjoied my small review. Greetings Adrian

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:13:44 pm »

I finally took the time to read it Adrian. Thanks !

Kind regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »

Just a short remark: The best system I have heard on the High End included a  CD-PLayer (Chord CD-Red), which uses upsampling to 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz! *We know that from a certain program...and DAC *

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: