XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:07:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best pc mouse connection for SQ?  (Read 42048 times)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »

The forum is a little qiet now so here's a little reading for you all.

Following on the suggestion to disable the igp to quieten the cpu some more I ordered a low end Radeon 5450 HTPC videocard. I've been experimenting with this 'Passive' and silent solution (there was once a time videocards did not need active cooling) to get some new insights.

I have to say I sighed of relief when I ripped it out of the pc after many hours of frustration. First about fixing the !@&?! thing in its slot, secondly about the software that is cr*p to the operation of xx. My clockres was frequently hijacked and then some gremlins launched a truckload of services into operation that were hard to kill. It was a pita to sweep the pc clean from all the unneccesary stuff. Next time i am allways going to perform a custom install with only the driver and that was't even the 'preferred mode of operation' for this setup.
And last but no least about the compressed, hazy and chunky sound that no matter what I did refused to change its character for the better. Now i am listening to the naturalness and musicality that are the great traits of the signature nos1 usb setup (as far as I am concerned of course). Furthermore I allmost got a cardiac arrest from extremely loud pops in a reboot sequence. If these are the infamous switch off pops, start to distrust your videocard as this is shurely related. Note that thare are pops in my usual setup but not as loud by a far margin.
Oh and above sq observations were with the monitor off by xx!

What can we learn from this? Well maybe the igp is not such a bad idea afterall. Its powerconsumption has to be lower that the 5450, that btw gets freakin hot (like musical fedelity A1 hot), doing nothing. You also can't get any better communication between cpu and gpu if such a thing matters when the monitor is turned to sleep. Imagine all those bits travelling on the PCIE bus to the soundcard and sharing their lanes with precious disc IOs. With the IGP all you have to do is make shure the graphics clock is set to the lowest possible level and you're in business.
On the positive side, the graphics flied like never before with the card on place.

Maybe someone else can share his (her?) findings on this mouse and soundcard thing.

Happy listening,

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 02:59:28 am »

Hi Coen,

I use also a passive graphic card and never had a problem. No pops at all and great sound. So maybe the problem is not in the graphic card but in the way both cards, the integrated one and the GA-Z68X-UD3H relate each other.

I can´t help you directly because I don´t use an integrated card but reading the specification of your Gigabyte mb it says:

Expansion slots: 
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Maybe all of that has something to do with the problem you have.

Btw, this is my graphic card: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3584#ov.

and here also a new interesting silent card: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1471&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Best regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56:57 am »

Hi Juan,

According to bios settings the igp is disabled when another graphics card has been inserted. I cannot explicitly disable the igp. I used it on the 16x slot.

Maybe you're right and is some stuff still running on the igp graphics side. I also distrust any extra loading of the psu, it should be able handle the extra 15watts easily, but probably with some extra noise on the important 12v supply.

Do you have any gigabyte graphics supporting software running?

Regards, Coen

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 11:14:15 am »

Hi Coen,

No, I don´t have any extra software installed, just the gp drivers, but to tell you the truth now I don´t remember if I installed the drivers from the cd that came in the box or if I downloaded it. As I never had a problem I wasn´t worried about it. Maybe some other people with both gpi and dedicated cards installed can help. Anyway, I don´t think the problem is due to if the gp is passive or not, could you try with other gp to see what happens?. Try also with the most recent drivers of your passive gp.

Best regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 01:17:04 pm »

Thanks Juan,

I will give it another shot on the 8x slot and with the latest driver. If it is a motherboard/chipset thing I should end up with similar -cr*ppy- results.

In the mean time Peter is tapped into the multiverse and preparing xx07 to new groundbreaking heights. Like all I am on the verge of boiling with anticipation!

Regards, Coen

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 01:10:01 pm »

Has anyone ever tested whether an igp is better for SQ than a dedicated card? As Coen stated above, an igp would use a lot less power. Is there any similarity concerning the effect on SQ between usb mouse, keyboard and a dedicated video card and PS/2 mouse, keyboard and an integrated video card?

Just wondering....

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:34 pm »

Fwiw I did a brief comparison in the post above. Yet I have a board with integrated graphics that might interfere with the card. If that is true a comparison is only possible with different boards/chipsets and then it is very hard to isolate the influence.

I haven't been checking all options but sofar the mouse is less detrimental to SQ in my setup than the card. The effects of the usb mouse are more subtle.

I encourage anyone with integrated graphics to put my observations to the test.

Regards, Coen

gsbrva
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »

I think it's too much generalizing to say that integrated graphics are better for SQ.

I've assembled many computers over the years for my personal use.  Some were great from the start, others were lemons.  Usually with the lemons, after some time I would discover one of the following problems:

1)  Bad power supply - works but is providing dirty power for whatever reason - sagging voltages or noise

2)  Bad memory chip in either main memory or graphics

3)  Something running hot - usually a bridge chip that should have had a big heatsink or a fan in the original design.

4)  Bad driver for some piece of hardware.

I'd say half of all the machines I put together had some sort of hardware problem.  Often it's the kind of thing you only notice if you use the computer a lot and have a feel for it.  I would blame myself, but I've found major brand computers to have similar defects. 

Don't trust the hardware.  If you are getting odd or inconsistent results start swapping parts until you track it down.

I'd be very surprised if a cpu had any characteristic sound of it's own.  Likewise for graphics chips, unless a particular card is defective or poorly designed.

Hey Coen,

I asked before if your monitor power cord was grounded.  I find that to be a bad idea, even if it's plugged into the same outlets as the computer.  I'm not sure if I understood your answer, but if you are not lifting the monitor ground, you might give it a try.  Let it ground through the shield of the graphics cable.  On my system grounding the monitor is a problem, even if it's turned off.  With analog CRT type monitors, you could see the circulating ground currents in the picture if you looked carefully. 

This is an interesting test.  How about disconnecting the monitor cable from the port on the computer.  Does that have an effect on the sound?  Maybe you did that already.

Greg

Digital playback system = XXhighend 0.9z-6-1c KS adaptive (engine 4), Dev Buffer 2048, straight contiguous > Windows 8 64 bit preview, Quad core Q6600 Intel 2.4 ghz, 6gig memory > P965/ICH8 chipset w/usb PCIe NEC USB3 card > Hiface Evo > I2S > NOS TDA1545A/1387 w/Crystek CCHD-957 clock chip backfeed to Evo ext clock in > dac current output into low Z transformer input Altec A256C beam power amplifiers> Quad ESL63 pro
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:09 am »

I think it's too much generalizing to say that integrated graphics are better for SQ.

Hi Greg - Maybe I didn't follow everything to the letter, but without that Happy I'd say nobody is saying this. It can turn out to be the result of course, but in advance ...

In advance I myself merely think it will be the other way around. Based on nothing much though.

and ...

I'd be very surprised if a cpu had any characteristic sound of it's own.

They won't. But it is the enviroment, or what they have to do which sure *does* give that signature. So, for example, load all the graphics stuff on to the normal CPU, and I'm fairly sure sound will be bad. CPU stayed the same ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 09:26:44 am »

I have qualified the seperate videocard finally as unlistanable in my system. Actally the 'working' variant with IGP doen't deliver either but remains listanable. Unfortunaletly it has that 'yawn, could I care less about this good sound?' kind of quality. A cardinal sin in my opinion.

The story is of course not over. The mobo is heavily suspect. Reinstalling the atom immediately improved on the 'wow this is great music' factor, booted faster and was completely silent. I have been noticing a high pitched noise from my pc. That I attribited to a relocated HD, but this nooise is absent on the atom.

Save for handling (where it all started) the atom is superior on all accounts save for the highs in percussive elements. Let's not forget the two ps/2 ports that are the origin of this thread.  Maybe I gan get it to work -my way- with a different mobo. Since Peter frequently mentions the highs to indicate improvements there must be some untapped potential in the i5.

Now I am going to enjoy music again in anticipation of 09z7.

Regards, Coen

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »

Just wondering if anyone with a newer mobo with only one PS/2 connection has tried using a PS/2 splitter (they exist) to hook up both mouse and keyboard?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:46 pm »

Hi,

I did this and it didn't work. The splitter is not in the formal dual ps2 port standard which is an OR configuration. It was assumed that either the mouse or keyboard use USB.

The custom implementation of a two function AND PS/2 combiport has been in use with mostly older laptops that were supplied with the splitters in the cable set.

The manual of any modern mobo will quickly inform you about the OR nature of this port.

Unfortunately.

Regards, Coen

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 03:39:38 am »

Thanks Coen. Learn something new every day.  Happy

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: