XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 04:05:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XXHE vs J River SQ  (Read 20905 times)
DHF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:16:30 am »

I will first admit that I am a noob at XXHE.  I downloaded the trial version and liked what I heard, so bought the full version.  I followed Peters guide for setting up - using Engine 3 and the recommended Q settings in there.  It is a relatively new computer - Sandy Bridge i3.  No sound card.  Music goes over HDMI to Marantz preamp.  The Marantz is the DAC.
I like the detail, soundstage, and feel of the music on XXHE.  But, when compared side by side with J River, the high frequencies sound rolled off, maybe a bit muted.  j River also sounds a bit louder - and I know that louder can be perceived as better.
It's hard to get good decibel readings on music, so I used a 1000hz test tone with a decibel meter to see if there was a difference between loudness levels, and to my surprise there was not, at least not at 1000 Hz.  Both J River and XXHE had similar dB readings on the test tone.
To further test the theory, I took my PC to a friends house who has an identical PC so we could easily switch back and forth between J River and XXHE.   This confirmed the high frequency roll off I heard previously.
Is there a setting I am missing here?
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:11 am »

Haha, welcome here, but settings you miss ? could be all of them. Happy

First off, no 1000Hz (etc.) test signal is going to bring you any difference. But on the other hand it shows the kind of contrary : that both players don't fool around with output levels. So they don't.

Next it is your question (my interpretation of if) how it can be so that there's a HF roll off with XXHE. Well, let's say the question is a sort of strange, because you should expect differences from a player which claims to sound, well, different.
So actually this is your answer.

Not that this will be to your satisfaction ...

So here is the longer answer, BUT, it is only theory and I can't do much more without listening of course :

When there is distortion, try to imagine this is alays about "fluent" waves not being so fluent. So, too much squary. Two things now happen :
a. this will create a more bright sound;
b. this will imply more energy.

Ad a.
We could say that squares sound more bright than sines, but this is not true. What does happen though is that a square comprises of higher frequency sines (with a perfect square this is infinite frequency). So, up to some (audible) extend the frequency becomes higher of it.

Ad b.
This is just so. Thus, when a sine is compared to a square, the square shows more energy (volume level). So, sound will get louder of it.

With the above as the base, it should be the careful conclusion that what you perecive from JRiver is more distortion than from XXHighEnd.
And, not at all to bash JRiver or anything, it is of course logic that such a thing happens, with a player like XXHE which claims to be "better". This has to come from somewhere of course, when DSP is not in order (which it is not).
And before you say it, this is all in the bit perfect realm.

A bit depending on your DAC, I think when you set the Clock resolution to the extreme low (number) side, you will get back of it something (the freshness).

A complete different means - but this is merely about detail and "sharpness" hence accuracy - is engaging Kernel Streaming Special Mode and dial in the lowest latency (in samples) possible for your situation. Notice that 128 is already at the low side, but up to 2 or 1 can be achieved, depending on your (interface) driver. Be careful when you start to hear little clicks once in a while, which will be the proof that you went over the top with it (samples are skipped now).

Lastly for now, you may know it already, but the Split File Size (SFS) is a key parameter to SQ. Although for most the high side is the better (I would never surpass 430), some have found sweetspots which can be anywhere. But when you dial in a random 40 or so and compare it with 430 you should be perceiving a great difference. This is not about freshness or something, but merely about realism which is hard to explain. Give it at go and judge for yourself.

Does this help you ?
Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
DHF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:47:12 pm »

Peter

This helps greatly.   One of the great benefits to XXHE in my opinion is this forum and your participation in it.  I am on the road for the next couple days but I am looking forward to tweaking some settings.   

One other question - perhaps a bit off topic - is I see a bunch of info about SPDIF and USB with converters and the like but I never see any discussion of HDMI.  I literally have all 3 options available.  Are there advantages to one over the other?
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

You know what ? it hasn't been a single time in order here. At least not that I know of.
I could try to make up a few things, but it wouldn't be much justified I'm sure.

Why not open a topic for it and see whether there's someone out there with the experience ?

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:48 pm »

One other question - perhaps a bit off topic - is I see a bunch of info about SPDIF and USB with converters and the like but I never see any discussion of HDMI.

HDMI was quickly approached by audiophiles, but then burried and forgotten. The HDMI interface DO have a very big data rate capacity suitable for multi channel hi-rez PCM and/or DSD.
BUT the HDMI format lacks a dedicated clock link for audio, turning it into the most jittery interface of them all.

It's been discussed a lot in the past. Here is a short and telling link: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/8/82566.html

-------------

-The sound of HDMI? I havn't dwelled too much with it, but I did some SACD rips through a HDMI interface and found the sound to be somewhat soft with muted microdynamics.

The interface between your PC and DAC (Marantz preamp/processor) has a big influence on the sound quality.
-Bigger differences than between the 2 software players.

Buying the Phasure NOS1 USB DAC solves this problem + provides you with a SOTA DAC.

But if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, I would have purchased a soundcard from ESI JULI@: http://www.djdeals.com/esiJULI@.htm and used its RCA SPDIF output, feeding your DAC.

PS: Lots of ink has been spend here on the Phasure forum, discussing digital interfaces. Many different solutions have been tested.

But the launch of the Phasure NOS1 USB DAC and its propritary USB interface, defined "year zero" in the hard core congregation here at the forum, marking the day the digital interface problem was "solved".
-The lucky NOS1 owners has turned their attention to other areas, like split file size, etc.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
DHF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:35:18 am »

Pedal

I have to give you props for one of the most informative replies I have ever gotten on an audio forum. (Peters responses are good too!)  Thank you very much.  I look forward to getting back home and experimenting.

Regarding the card, is the reason for that just to get the RCA digital output?   The motherboard has optical out - will it make a difference?
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:50:33 am »

I have to give you props for one of the most informative replies I have ever gotten on an audio forum.

Thank you. The "sharing" is in the spirit of PeterSt, the founder of this site. He has spent years and countless hours helping all of us getting maximum sound quality from our PCs.

Regarding the card, is the reason for that just to get the RCA digital output?   The motherboard has optical out - will it make a difference?

Choosing interface between PC and DAC is like opening a can of worms. I guess you are in the beginners phase in this matter. We have all been there. Like I said previously, the €3.320,- NOS1 DAC developed, build and sold by PeterSt/Phasure, is IMO the ultimate solution for both interface- and D/A-conversion.

On the other side, there are many, many more users of the €80,- XX, than the €3.320,- NOS1 DAC. So an “economical recipe” to the interface matter is still very much needed to the many users of XX.
-If you dig deep into the old posts on this forum, you can read about the journey through all the various interfaces which we have tried. It’s quite a long story…

--------------

You should try the optical Toslink output from your PCs motherboard. Compare it with your HDMI connection. Do some serious listening test with various music. Share your result with us here at the forum afterwards!

The ESI Juli@ soundcard is universally considered to be one of the best buys, providing very high sound quality for a relatively low price. You can google it, and read praises of it from Hi-Fi enthusiasts all over the world. I am quite sure such a moderate investment will advance your sound quality a lot. Use it together with a RCA coax 70ohm cable (which can be purchased at a low price).

PS: Whats the name of your Marantz preamp/processor?

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 08:54:33 am »

DHF,

Generally we can say that all what comes from the motherboard is so-so only. So, yes, all is digital so it all shouldn't matter. But all is subjective to noise, that increasing the jitter levels, which are already high to begin with from those "cheap products". Toslink is is subject to another jitter increasing phenomenon : conversion (from electrical to light and back at the other end).

The Juli@ indeed is a fairly good alternative since it's really good enough for the higher-end applications and it doesn't cost much.
And don't underestimate a good digital interlink.

Once you found your ways in XXHighEnd you will start to find what the differences are. Just by dials, so to speak. Next you will be able to discern differences from elsewhere more easily, and next you are telling us what to do and what is better.
But first is to be back home. yes

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
DHF
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 10:52:57 pm »

Pedal and Peter

Thanks both.  I am back home for a bit, fired it up and started playing.  This software is fun to tinker with.  However, I think I will follow your advice and get a sound card.

Pedal - my system is a Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, with a SimAudio amp and Dali Euphonia speakers.

Sometimes - to the noob like me - I feel like Forrest Gump trying to understand what you guys are talking about.  At this point I comprehend well over 10% of it.... And, to the outsider, some of the stuff sounds...well...crazy.. SP1 making some sort of sonic difference?  But then I listen, and realize that either we are on to something...or on something Happy
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:08 am »

DHF, why don't you try persuading Peter to sell a Juli@ card to you which has been upgraded with ultra-low jitter clocks? I'm assuming he has quite a lot of these cards hanging around as most NOS1 owners have upgraded to the async-USB input now. (In case you don't know, the original NOS1 used an upgraded Juli@ to interface with the PC.)

I bet you'd get a very nice spdif output from an upgraded Juli@. Just a thought...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 06:49:12 pm »

bibo01, I moved your question to here : NOS1 Interface question

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: