XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 10:44:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of Nicks Tweeks  (Read 66030 times)
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »

Nick's (intitial) tweeks on his new system are pretty significant so I thought it might be a good idea to put them in a topic of their own. (If this isn't agreeable please delete this thread) They are reprinted below:

Summary of tweeks.

1)   Eliminate ALL fans (CPU fan case fans etc)
2)   Take power off ALL drives but one (OS XX and Music on the single HDD)
3)   Power the one HDD from a linear power supply
4)   Remove power connections from DVD and Floppy Drives etc
5)   Turn off hyper threading
6)   Over Clock the CPU
7)   Disable CPU “Clock Spreading” 
   Turn off Intel Virtualisation
9)   Use PCIe USB 3 (NEC chipset)
10)   XX processor scheme 3, SFS around 350mb,
11)   Hygiene factor tweeks (Old hat stuff but for good measure)
a.   Disable Data Execution support (in Bios)
b.   Disable all Devices not needed for music (extra SATA controllers, USB ports etc etc in Device Manager)
c.   Disable all devices not used for Music in  Bios (Mobo
USB, Sound card, COM ports etc)
(Points 1 to 10 all have an effect individually, but together they really move music to the next level.

This post is specifically about 2 and 4 above which I would think should be the same for everybody. I was really surprised that #2, putting music directly on the OS/XX drive would make such a significant difference for the better, but it does. I have always used a secondary internal drive to store music, I've never kept any music on the OS drive. Today I ripped a cd directly to the C Drive music folder and was surprised at how much better it sounded. The SQ improved more when I unplugged the DVD drive and the secondary music drive--#4 above. For me this is both good and bad news: all improvements in SQ are good. Bad, though, because it looks like I might need to move the OS to a two or three terabyte drive so I can reripp my music to it.......a bit of a daunting task at this point. Why rerip? Well I tried to copy/paste music files from the secondary drive to the OS drive any they didn't sound as good as the music ripped directly to the OS drive!

Anyone know of a good therapist, I might be in need of one!

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »

Brian hi,

I am pleased that you are getting some improvements, but you have my sympathy when it comes to moving that much music. Personally I have always just copied music and not noticed too much of a difference. What does seem to help is defraging the drive occationaly.

If you haven't already tried it one of the best tweaks is the PCIe USB card, well worth the 30 dollars.

Worth mentioning is that the list is about to change with a very big addition. I am working on a tweek that apears to be a game changer. I want to get a reasonable understanding of how best to apply it before I post but in essence it gets right to the hart of the biggest problem of using a pc as a transport electrical noise and ground contamination. At the moment it's 5 steps forward and one or two back but I would like to see all upside from it before I post. I am getting superb sound from clock res of 5 ms and NOS buffer size of 4ms eg this approach really changes things.

Ultimatly i think it may need Peters expertise to test it in order to do it justice. I just do not have the test kit to work out the best way of using this equipment but I will post as soon as things are settled out enough from subjective testing.

Best Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:04:40 pm »

Thanks Nick, Iv'e had the PCIe card from the beginning. Have you specifically compared a filed ripped directly to your OS to one pasted there from another drive? Just wondering. Here there is a definite decrease in "glare" with the file directly ripped to the OS, similar to the difference when one unplugs unused drives.

It's really going to take some time to sort through all the possibilities. Very much appreciate your shared findings!

Brian

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:46 pm »

Isn't this solved in 0.7 Grin?

The 'copy to xx disc' setting does not seem to work as well as having the music on the disc. But this tweak is all about having only one disc active, getting it into a deep sleep is not good enough, isn't it?

How about more (extra) linear psus?

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:57 pm »

I am getting superb sound from clock res of 5 ms and NOS buffer size of 4ms eg this approach really changes things.
Best Nick.

Hi Nick

I´ve changed the clock res from 15ms to 5ms and the NOS buffer size from 8ms to 4ms. The improvement is very noticeable, the sound is richer, the bass is firmer and deeper and there are more harmonics. Another step forward in my system although I can´t use yet all of the points in the tweeks list.

Thanks again,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13:27 pm »

Hi all,

I agonized over the tweaks a lot and most of them are really effective and of exceptional value. But the success depends much on the individual hardware. Looking ahead there should be hardware which is reduced to the essential functions, which avoids the use of multi-purpose ICs and switching PSUs as used in modern PCs. But that's a matter of time and money and a dream actually. If the actual tweaks are helping so much what could be possible with specialized hardware?

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:18:49 pm »

Juan hi,

That's interesting, i agree with your descrition of the sound from these settings. In my case I had assumed the settings were working due to the additional hardware I am using to isolate the pc and DAC.

When i think about it now I have not tried lower clock res and USB latency since I built the fast pc recently. Might it be that the enabler for these settings is the speed of the PC not the additional hardware ?

Best,

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:52 pm »

Hi all,

I agonized over the tweaks a lot and most of them are really effective and of exceptional value. But the success depends much on the individual hardware. Looking ahead there should be hardware which is reduced to the essential functions, which avoids the use of multi-purpose ICs and switching PSUs as used in modern PCs. But that's a matter of time and money and a dream actually. If the actual tweaks are helping so much what could be possible with specialized hardware?

Georg

Hi Georg,

I did some very basic tests recently trying to improve the quality of the ground connection between the PC and DAC. The tests were quite crude (cutting ground pins on a PCIe USB board and inserting a cleaner ground). The result was a two steps forward two steps back in terms of sound quality but it was possible to hear what may happen if zero ground coupling were better applied.

When you look at it a PC it is just about the worst device you could think of to drive a high resolution analogue audio chain down stream for the reasons you mention. The hardware I have makes it possible to completely electrically isolate the DAC and PC (the only electrical link is via the mains connection of the pc and dac which happen to use the same wall socket).

Listening without PC noise entering the dac gives quite profound results. it's all about many, many subtle changes in the sound but the effect of the setup is superb. I am not entirely sure that I have the best implemtation but for the first time in 7 years I think that the PC has the capacity to be a transport of the highest possible quality. Of course this is using a NOS1 and XXHE  Wink

Best,

Nick.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 09:35:09 am »

A very personal opinion (and even from one person (me) which is not the best idea of course) :

All we do and try at this moment is a bit of wasted time. Sort of : still too many things are wrong to make one element be that game changer. Example :

When Nick has isolated the DAC from the PC hence no electrical noise can come from the PC, then how is applying a better PS to a HDD going to make a change ?
So, two things wrong here :

1. Is the PC really isolated from the DAC (with my suggestion of not);
2. Is it electrical noise we try to avoid, or is it something else (with my suggestion of the latter).

We must be very (VERY) careful not to base our conclusions on so-called logic, because the logic we can see isn't based upon all the parameters there are. And worse, for the larger part it will be based on irrelevant parameters.

If we think that direct ripping to the OS disc sounds better than copying a rip from elsewhere, so be it. Eh, what ? well, that it sounds better, and not that you think it sounds better.
Am I making myself clear ? ... I mean, I just tried to emphasize that everyone here, without exception, is believed by me and hopefully by all of the others just the same. BUT, that doesn't mean that the reason is justified, or worse, that we start to think of reasons ourself to justify another one's perception. Example :
Yes, I will believe that direct rip sounds better, but no way I will think that this is "thus" because it has been applied to the OS disc. Not as such.

I know I sound as vague as can be, but I have problems with describing what's really needed (apart from a shrink - hey Don, where are you ??). So, apply electrical isolation, but next first prove that it works out, and never think it works because all now is isolated and THUS it works.
No way ...
(for me)

On that isolation again - there will be something working all right, but first better scratch your head about your findings that (e.g.) a clock resolution change still changes sound. Can't be eh ? or can it because it does ?

The latter obviously. So what was that isolation worth then ? should be something, because it changes sound. But the real merits ? on my part nothing. I mean, nothing until you (we) know what the change (into isolation) really means / does.

Still with  me ? I hope so. Because all I wanted to say is : so many things are not understood *and* are in our chains ! - that it is fairly useless to, for example, rerip our collection to the OS disc for better sound. And of course to be done again, when the OS has to be restored, because otherwise it will be a copy.
Ha ha.

Ok, I actually wanted to respond to this topic with another text, and I could just as well have left it to that, but when I started typing I thought to emphasize the importance of having a good base. This, somewhat combined perhaps with me from my side letting know the good track Nick is on - which I am sure he wants to shout outloud but which I told him to hold back a bit at this time. Anyway, this is what I originally wanted to say :

Yesterday I started to play music, and it sounded like sh*t. Really, it didn't last till somewhere in a second track before I noticed what was wrong : My Nobel winning feature got shut off (which of course goes by a button) and the sound was completely distorted because of that.

Oh ? Distorted ?

Yes. But no different than what you are all listening to because you don't have that button yet. And indeed, what all sounded normal and good to me before, already now has become unlistenable because of getting used to that better.
And so I imagine a few people tearing out floppy drives and all, while their base is that distorted sound. How could that ever work out ? it can't in my view.

The message is not to stop right now and wait for 0.9z-7 first (ok, it should be the message all right), but the message merely is that nothing is what it seems, and that the chance is at least 50% that what we tweak for the better, actually made it worse, though the result at present time is better nevertheless.

What is and remains the golden rule in my view, is that when something improves by hardware changes, the very first thing we HAVE to think about is whether it could be acting as a smoothening filter, serving a wrong cause; It is the most complicated phenomenon of all.
It really is the most complicated, but somewhere there must be this absolute best. To find that, we must have base elements which can be trusted. Well, I don't see many of those yet. USB3 (/NOS1) sounds better eh ? Oh, how ? It only *is* better once we know the how. But most probably by that time the real cause will have been attacked.

bye

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
stefanobilliani
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

This is indeed a nice post I did enjoy reading Peter .
It is like when building amplifiers , we can be "topologists" and it is quite different than tweaking an existing design .
When something makes our living happy with, is both for the possibly to choose ( that transistor caracteristics... ) or that we like the sound of a particular form of power supply . But usually we can explore and talk about the reasons for that we can like better that topology instead of another , and why it may be simple or not , or not semplicistic . 

For example of the USB 3 , last night I did play with the Renesas driver few options that are : using or not the power management , or try the last driver available .
It's hard to descrybe how all of them produced different sound presentation in different and not so obvious ways .
For example , in my case I am about to say that *using* the power management ( with the 2.0.34.0 driver)  , I do enjoy music very easily on the other hand it not allows to go to Minimized OS ( for me ... but I'll try more) and should  imagine something is going on with it .
Moreover, I did try the very last driver available of the Renesas USB 3 ( the new 2.1.32.0) and it was like completely another system of listening . And for that, can't explain how  .
 I am with you . :-) will wait for the 0.9z-7 .

Stefano

May 27 -2013 ,  0.9z-9

W8 pro 64bit, UEFI
sata ahci mode .
i7 (8 cores ) 2600k
RAM : 16Gig
XXHE on OS disk
Music on OS disk
Playback drive on USB3 to 4Gig Pendrive
Mobo USB 3 to Oversampling dac at 2X
KS adaptive , ArcPredict  , dev buffer 1024
Q1=8 , Q5=3 , res 1msec
Minimized OS , stop all services
X-tweaks : 45,100,1,1,1, stable , optimal
Disk Utilization : Split File Size: 120 ,max the same as SFS
Memory Organization : Straight Contiguous
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:34:23 pm »

Peter, thanks for the sanity you bring to the table. Though I must say that because there are so many unknowns simple tweeks can and should be tried by folks here, cause consensus can provide a guide or direction for investigation.

Okay, I'm gonna go have another glass of that cool-aide.

Have a great day!

Brian

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

Mwah guys ... I must be careful not to let my message come across wrongly ...

It is totally obvious that we won't get anywhere without trying things. So, trying is of vast importance - hence my message to bring across is NOT that we are wasting our time with this trying. I fairly much said so though and it was hooked only to my idea of 0.9z-7 being so much better - and prevent you from starting all over again, but worse : not being able to see through your own tweaks or tweeks, them possibly now being destructive to you without realizing that. Similar to my ever saying that expensive cables should be torn out first before attempting something like the NOS1 ... You can always go back to them.

This is also why we shouldn't "just apply" one or the other tweak someone comes up with. It may help for him, but it may not help you at all, while applying it blindlessly may again result in the same : something is now (more or less) destroying, and you will never notice it in your life anymore. And so :

How good would it be when we could see through the real merits of the tweaks in order ...
first.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:17:04 pm »

I totally get what you are saying and I don't mean to be contrary at all.  Happy

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 10:59:49 pm »

All,

So reading this I think [?] we are just agreeing about tweaks.

For my part my personal ethos here is;
  • Develop an idea,
  • Try it out,
  • If there is a subjective improvement describe what happened for folks to try if they want to,
  • Gauge feedback in terms of general applicability and effectiveness.
  • Try to understand it and exploit it or don’t understand it and  still exploit it.Wink

The value of tweaks ?

Well, hands up anyone in a hurry to use USB 2 again after trying PCIe USB 3 ports ? We don’t understand exactly what makes this tick, but it does work. I will feel better when we do understand why it works and I really hope with the understanding that other possibilities may become visible but until then personally I would not be without it.

The stuff I post is meant to offer up ideas, to stimulate discussion, and help with system tuning (no guarantees offered  no ). I try not to post unless tweaks subjectively  improve my system's sound and the tweaks may not work in other peoples systems. If you give them a go, please always be ready to roll them back if they don’t work for you or things move on and they are no longer necessary for any reason. 

Nick

Audio PC

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 12:06:22 am »

Peter hi,

I drafted a long post but in reviewing your very valid points I realised it all boils down to a few  points.

1) Evidence is mounting here that signal and ground coupling with the PC is a big problem. Lots of points in the system set up I have arrived at are pointing towards this.
2) I agree that there is new componentary entering the replay chain that could be doing things that as yet are not understood.
3) I cannot offer any definitive proof of the above only circumstantial arguments and I accept this could just be wrong.

What is and remains the golden rule in my view, is that when something improves by hardware changes, the very first thing we HAVE to think about is whether it could be acting as a smoothening filter, serving a wrong cause; It is the most complicated phenomenon of all.
It really is the most complicated, but somewhere there must be this absolute best. To find that, we must have base elements which can be trusted. Well, I don't see many of those yet. USB3 (/NOS1) sounds better eh ? Oh, how ? It only *is* better once we know the how. But most probably by that time the real cause will have been attacked.

I agree but I defiantly stand by what I said about the sound. If its "smoothing" then I say give me more (I don't think it is). I am looking forwards to your hear something like this Happy. I feel confident that that one way or another this will lead to good things.

Best regards,

Nick

Ps I would still bet some beers on PC related noise being a big factor but I am happy to lose the bet in exchange for a better understanding Wink

Audio PC

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: