XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 03:42:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Praise for xxHighEnd  (Read 6829 times)
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:20:00 pm »

Peter

Your software sounds so good that I owe you more than the currency I paid.   Hence this testimonial.

I thought JRiver sounded just fine.  Then I was compelled to try xxHE just because I could.  Eventually I purchased it and I was able to tweak the sound enough to slowly track improvments. 

Now I've reached an amazing plateau:  With my current settings, 44.1/16 sounds so good that it is difficult to tell the difference between 44.1 and HiRes versions of the Norah Jones Come Away with Me release.  Further, in some other cases I even prefer the 44.1 over the HiRes release.

In many cases, I prefer the sonics of HiRes, but even in these cases, the 44.1 material can be more engaging even if the sonics are inferior.

The sound is smooth and very analog like using a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 through its USB input, yet amazingly detailed.  Things just sound right and true. 

Congratulations  clapping clapping good Good job ! thankyou

I look forward to .9z-7 for at least its functionality.  I hope that if I keep my settings, it does not alter the sound because I need the functionality enhancements but don't want to jeapordize the sound.   I say that  because I've seen that little supposedly insignificant changes make big differences.  This is tricky business and you've given us a fantastic tool to deal with that trickyness.

July 2019:
XXHighEnd PC (i7 3930K) Hyperthreading On (12 cores) clocked to 3.6GHz (100%), 16GB, Windows 7 Ultimate64 SP1 on 2.5” SATA2 SSD disk for OS and XX, music on 3.5” SATA3 7200 RPM.  Motherboard BIOS settings: BCLK = 100 MHz / Intel Speed Step = OFF / Max Clock Ratio = 36 / Allow OS to change ratio = *OFF*. 
XXHighEnd 2.10 Adaptive / Q1/3/4/5 = 2/0/0/1 / Q1x = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Straight Contiguous / SFS = 30 (max 150) / Playerprio = Low (or below normal) / ThreadPrio = High / Core3-5 / No Playback Drive / No RAMDISK / UnAttended / most services Off, WASAPI on  / Minimize OS / XTweaks set to v2.01 Defaults / 16x 768K Custom Filters (High) or ArcPredict
DAC: Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE NOS DAC, and no preamp (also ISO REGEN powered by battery)
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:15:32 am »

Hello Charlie,

Welcome to the club and congratulation for your new journey on XXHE.

As to the sound quality between redbook and hires format, there is an article in the latest issue of TAS (224) walking through the production process of digital audio materials. Hires does not yield better sound quality at all. Well recorded redbook played back through cutting edge player like XXHE can give much better sound quality than poorly recorded hires. With arc prediction upsampling on 44.1/16, it is sometime hard to hear SQ difference than playing back the native hires from the same track recorded by well respect studios like RR or Chesky.

From your signature, I am sure you can explore more and achieve better result. Arc prediction is a unique feature of XXHE that you should try. Almost all folks here run W7 already.

Good luck !
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
charliemb
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:27:35 am »

From your signature, I am sure you can explore more and achieve better result. Arc prediction is a unique feature of XXHE that you should try. Almost all folks here run W7 already.

Thanks Praphan.

Actually, I started with arc prediction and have since landed on the settings in my signature line.  I plan to post about this in a separate thread once I get some time.

July 2019:
XXHighEnd PC (i7 3930K) Hyperthreading On (12 cores) clocked to 3.6GHz (100%), 16GB, Windows 7 Ultimate64 SP1 on 2.5” SATA2 SSD disk for OS and XX, music on 3.5” SATA3 7200 RPM.  Motherboard BIOS settings: BCLK = 100 MHz / Intel Speed Step = OFF / Max Clock Ratio = 36 / Allow OS to change ratio = *OFF*. 
XXHighEnd 2.10 Adaptive / Q1/3/4/5 = 2/0/0/1 / Q1x = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Straight Contiguous / SFS = 30 (max 150) / Playerprio = Low (or below normal) / ThreadPrio = High / Core3-5 / No Playback Drive / No RAMDISK / UnAttended / most services Off, WASAPI on  / Minimize OS / XTweaks set to v2.01 Defaults / 16x 768K Custom Filters (High) or ArcPredict
DAC: Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE NOS DAC, and no preamp (also ISO REGEN powered by battery)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: