XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 05:34:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Playback Drive avoids stops  (Read 10272 times)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »

I´m having stops while playing 09z-07 with SFS 2, Allow Phase Alignment activated and Phase active (+), Phase Intensity=1 and volume level -28,5/-33db. This happens when I play the music directly from my Music hdd. As it is said in the Manual, that could be improved (avoid the stops) with bigger SFS, more attenuation or with less Phase Intensity, the problem is that I like the sound with those settings. I realized that using the Playback Drive with those settings, the best ones for me, I can avoid the stops.

Although I thought that Playback Drive was sounding worse than using the Music hdd directly now after more listening time I think that the sound is very very similar, if not the same. I wonder if you, Peter, have any explanation on why using the Playback Drive can avoids the stops.

Best regards, Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

The question is : what do you use for the Playback Drive ?
Mention as many specs as you can get hold of.

As it is said in the Manual, that could be improved (avoid the stops) with bigger SFS, more attenuation or with less Phase Intensity

The last mentioned is certainly not true. It is totally unrelated. However, once glitches are there, the more attenuation, the less audible. But point is : you should have ZERO glitches. And the Playback Drive 100% sure can help with that. Not that it was created for that, but alas ...

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:14:25 pm »

The question is : what do you use for the Playback Drive ?
Mention as many specs as you can get hold of.

If you are talking about hardware this is what I use for Playback Drive: USB 3.0 WD Elements 1TB (bus powered) connected to a powered hub of USB 3.0 seven ports (power adapter 5V/4A).

As it is said in the Manual, that could be improved (avoid the stops) with bigger SFS, more attenuation or with less Phase Intensity

The last mentioned is certainly not true. It is totally unrelated. However, once glitches are there, the more attenuation, the less audible. But point is : you should have ZERO glitches. And the Playback Drive 100% sure can help with that. Not that it was created for that, but alas ...

Well, I don´t have zero glitches, there is some pops when the first track is engaged and when I rise or down-rise the volume, no other glitches besides the mentioned stops. What I wanted to say is that the Manual says is that that glitches can be ameilloriated (less audibles) with more attenuation, etc.

What is certain is that using the Playback Drive avoids the stops although not the pops as the start of the album and when volume is changed.

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:23 am »

Then you must try to find the better net buffer settings. It really can work easily. So if you can't do it with what's in my sig, I'm puzzled a bit.

What happens when you shut off the Wallpaper Coverart ?

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »

Then you must try to find the better net buffer settings. It really can work easily. So if you can't do it with what's in my sig, I'm puzzled a bit.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

When I shut off the Wallpaper Coverart the sound stops after arourd 4 or 5 minutes the same way with the Wallpaper Coverart activated. This happens always when I don´t use the Playback Drive.

Sorry I have no clear what you mean with "net buffer", is it the Device Buffer or the USB buffer in the Control Panel?

I post here the screens of my settings to see if this way is easier to see if I have some error.

Juan

* Settings.Screen1.jpg (278.82 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 732 times.)

* Settings.Screen2.jpg (273.58 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 753 times.)

* Settings.Screen3.jpg (284.78 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 739 times.)

* Settings.Screen4.jpg (270.62 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 724 times.)

* Settings.Screen5.jpg (271.12 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 737 times.)

* Settings.Screen6.jpg (272.35 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 710 times.)

* Settings.Screen7.jpg (266.8 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 753 times.)

juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »

As I said I have stops and pops when I use the settings that can be seen in the previous post. I can avoid the glitches if I set the SFS to 50, the sound is also great but it seems more accurate with SFS at 2.0

Following the advises of A Guide to Glitcless Playback
(http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2029.0), I´ve started the Task Manager to watch the cpu and memory behaviour, I haven´t seen notorious spikes at different settings as you can see in some printed screens.

At the end in the Guide it is said: "If you hear problems but don't see it on the cpu graph, watch the disk light and see whether it's related."
I don´t understand what disk light is talking about.

Juan

* SFS 2.0.jpg (302.61 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 711 times.)

* SFS 50.jpg (316.53 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 602 times.)

* SFS 2.0, Arc Prediction 1x.jpg (313.11 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 788 times.)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »

Hey Juan,

If it were for me you are mixing up things now. I mean, first you say that with Playback Drive you have no issues, only at start/stop, and next you continue with "but without Playback drive I have glitches". This does not work for me, because now I don't know what to answer anymore. So, one thing at the time, and I don't think it should be about anything with the Playback Drive in use (and otherwise rebuild your PC because it is clear (to me) that something is not right or on par). So …

With "net" buffer I mean the result of the product of Device Buffer Size, Q1 and Q1Factor. Otherwise see the ToolTip on Q1Factor (I think it is described there). Remember, this is about Start/Stop only, like you brought it up yourself (as actually the only issue).

But about that other issue :
When you hear glitches (or plops with Phase Alignment engaged) ... a disk light is a light which flashes when disk access is happening. Since all is priority related (OS and hardly XXHE), when sound stalls (a plop in your case) during disk access, you can bet that something chokes in that area.

I can avoid the glitches if I set the SFS to 50, the sound is also great but it seems more accurate with SFS at 2.0

I don't think it is the idea that I now start trying to tune everyone's system, only because someone told that SFS=2 sounds great. I mean, I am not the person to be addressed with such issues. At least I don't think I am. But the least I could do is write this : A Guide to Glitchless Playback. Maybe that helps ?

One hint : I format my music hdds with maximum blocksize for NTFS (64 KB). Did you ? or did you leave it at the default which is AFAIK 512 bytes. Now, divide the two into each other and plainly see it as the factor your disk access is slower than mine FOR THESE HUGE FILES.

One way or the other, hope it helps !
Peter

PS: You settings show you have it Off, but anyway better switch Off logging, because it causes quite some overhead on the small SFS. My PC can cope with it, but yours and other's may not.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »

Hey Juan,

If it were for me you are mixing up things now. I mean, first you say that with Playback Drive you have no issues, only at start/stop, and next you continue with "but without Playback drive I have glitches". This does not work for me, because now I don't know what to answer anymore. So, one thing at the time, and I don't think it should be about anything with the Playback Drive in use (and otherwise rebuild your PC because it is clear (to me) that something is not right or on par). So …

Sorry if I haven´t explain myself with enough clarity.

Always with SFS 2.0 and Phase Alignment Engaged:

- With Playback Drive: I have some plops at the start of the first track and when I change volume. However there are no stops.

- Without Playback Drive: I have the same plops as before but also the sound stops after a few minutes of playing.

Now I´m not using the Playback Drive, not until I solve the problems. I use only the Music drive.

With "net" buffer I mean the result of the product of Device Buffer Size, Q1 and Q1Factor. Otherwise see the ToolTip on Q1Factor (I think it is described there). Remember, this is about Start/Stop only, like you brought it up yourself (as actually the only issue).

I used the values between Q1=-1 and Q1=4 without positive results. Still the plops and stops.

But about that other issue :
When you hear glitches (or plops with Phase Alignment engaged) ... a disk light is a light which flashes when disk access is happening. Since all is priority related (OS and hardly XXHE), when sound stalls (a plop in your case) during disk access, you can bet that something chokes in that area.

My PC has two external lights, one is the on/off light and it is permanently on, the other one is the restart light and is flashing lightly all the time with SFS 2.0 or with SFS 50 with or without glitches. Is it the indication of some problem?.

I can avoid the glitches if I set the SFS to 50, the sound is also great but it seems more accurate with SFS at 2.0

I don't think it is the idea that I now start trying to tune everyone's system, only because someone told that SFS=2 sounds great. I mean, I am not the person to be addressed with such issues. At least I don't think I am. But the least I could do is write this : A Guide to Glitchless Playback. Maybe that helps ?

Of course you can´t tune everyone´s system one by one but you are a reference for all of us and we, the less technically prepared, need to follow your steps. Otherwise, sorry to say, it appears as something absolutely incomprehensible, at least to me.

As far as I know you have chosen the SFS 2.0 setting and if it works for you, and with that setting you get a great sound, I´d like that it would work for me also.
How do I know if SFS 2.0 sounds better or worse than SFS 50 if can´t make it works with SFS 2.0?.

Btw, I read several times the A Guide to Glitchless Playback as I mentioned in a previous post and found it very useful but even with that help I can´t solve all my problems.

One hint : I format my music hdds with maximum blocksize for NTFS (64 KB). Did you ? or did you leave it at the default which is AFAIK 512 bytes. Now, divide the two into each other and plainly see it as the factor your disk access is slower than mine FOR THESE HUGE FILES.

One way or the other, hope it helps !

All my hdds are formated as NTFS, I don´t know more details about that.

Thank you, Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »

My PC has two external lights, one is the on/off light and it is permanently on, the other one is the restart light and is flashing lightly all the time with SFS 2.0 or with SFS 50 with or without glitches. Is it the indication of some problem?.

No. Only that you can't use the light as a tuning parameter. And probably that you forgot to connect the wire from the MoBo to that light. Well, assumed every PC case has a light for the hdd controller. The MoBo sure will have the connection.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:15 pm »

Ok, thanks.
Juan

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: