XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 02:37:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My first Windows 8 experience  (Read 310611 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 07:49:55 am »

Maybe I did not state that clear enough in the Releas Notes (did I ever ?),

No I did not. It is in there now though. Apologies !

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:06 am »

Before nothing happens anymore in here, here is my final verdict : Will keep on using it.

It has been a bit of a long search (without any help of any of you - just saying Wink so careful), but what it requires is what has been my idea about it all along : the longest buffer sizes.

SFS=2 ?

"Our" SFS of 2 is unlistenable. Well, all is relative of course, but there is too much detail and the overall dynamic range seems to be too high. So what I noticed is that it has become sheer impossible to listen to acceptable levels. Don't understand ? well, the distance of softest parts of a track to the loudest parts is too high. Partly this will be because all is beamed to sharply or something and louder passages become "nasty". Not distorting, but tireing because of too much detail, which *really* is the case to begin with. So, we have the examples of spitting women and tongue-clicking men, and this comes all the way forward. Not good.

SFS=430

While the SFS of 2 will direct us automatically towards all the buffer sizes being small (at least with Phase Alignment this is so), with an SFS of 430 we can do all we want. But what is needed here is the large buffer size. In my case I stopped at Q1=20 and xQ1=30 (can just as well be the other way around) at my Device Buffer Size of 4096. This is completely acceptable for Unattended Playback (not Attended), were it for no clicks and no stops (although a stop occcasionally happens when a track is finished).
Important : With 8GB of memory this can't work. With 12GB it will (I use 16GB).

A Clock Resolution of 10ms or 15ms is allowed - under 10ms is a no go again (for SQ merits). I use 15 because all towards the direction of "faster / shorter" creates the nastyness hence too much detail.

I never fooled around with XTweaks (yet) and they are of the same setting as my W7 install, except for the "Cool when Idle" which I don't trust under W8. So that is On (while the normal advice = Off). Load balance is at the lowest value possible (43).
My Windows 8 XTweak "Stable time" is On. Off did not work out for the better (difference is marginal but there).

The "soft cracks" I talked about earlier, now appear to come from the low buffer sizes. That is, I never heard one anymore;
It is to be kept in mind that something is not right for W8 because it is too fragile on those ever same soft cracking (moving a screen can already cause it). But, this is when the OS is working on "your" task of audio. Not so with the all over higher settings - then totally nothing happens for tens of seconds (or for minutes with the lower sample rates).

So Peter, how about the sound now then ?

I *had* to approach it from a completely different angle. So, from W7 most (up to almost me) agree that the higher buffer settings make the sound dull. This was certainly my idea about Windows 8 - even far more so. But it's a psychological thing, and that's why the other approach needed;

I think I will be able to talk you into this (lay down on my coach) :

* What comes from W8 is way too much detail. Can it be too much ? it certainly can; the wrong things will be emphasized and what actually happens is that the balance is not right (this is not the normal balance we talk about).

* So we dial in our dullest setting, and actually start off at the other end. This is a good idea, because we know that when we know go back, at some stage we will meet nastyness. But, what we look for is our detail. Not dullness.

* It should be good if you forbid yourself to start out with the lower buffer settings. Remember, it's a psychological thing and really *everybody* will judge the more detail as better. But you shouldn't even learn about it ...

* With the large buffer settings dialed in, you already will perceive that more detail. So, way more than with W7. So, actually you will find yourself satisfied right from the start with these settings. However, might you still run into nastyness, you can always go some higher (theoretically you will be able to use Q1=30 and xQ1=40 and SFS=470 or so, BUT you may run into troubles on the technical side).

* Of course we are all so that we want to see what can be achieved more in the detail department. So, you will now go look for that threshold where things start to get nasty. This is difficult because this *very* much depends on the music, and you should not dial in something for a cosy song and such, but for something of which it is known that it can go very wrong. Use The Beatles (Sgt Pepper would be a good one, NO remaster)- just because I say so.
You can use any parameter now, once you started off with the settings I told about above. Just depend on my statement that each parameter dialed down will bring more of that detail. That Windows 8 Stable Time is a special one, because it makes the attacks harder and only that. It seems to express hits on the cymbal better (edit : when it is set as not stable ! - remember, my chosen setting is "stable").

Right. For me none of the above dialing down worked out for the better, with the logical conclusion I should go higher instead. However, at this moment and after using my current settings for the last 4 days, I don't need that.

Hey, the sound, remember ?

All right. No absolute judging, and only relative to Windows 7 SP1, and of course assuming the "dull" settings as described above (outside those settings my observations would change drastically) :

a. Way more detail;
b. Infinitely better channel separation (I can expect that this happens with the NOS1 only);
c. Interaction of harmonics which just wasn't there before at all.
d. A strange effect of the sound being farther away than before, while looking into it it's only way more forward.
e. Sound comes way more from outside of the speakers.

Ad c (Interaction of harmonics)

One of the first XXHighEnd versions showed that Mike Oldfield wasn't able to play on key at all. I should have checked that Tubular Bells by now, because I can expect this to be so again. Not sure though, because at the time that XXHE version was regarded "wrong". However, I'd say that when this 0.9z-8-1a version shows Mike Oldfield to be off key again, he just is.

The phenomenon as listed under c. is hard to describe in words; It exhibits as flanger (which is softer/louder change as a Hammond-Leslie exhibits) and unveils I'd say everywhere. Read back in this topic how I suddenly could see Neil Young being closer and farther from the microphone - something I never heard in the same tracks before. Notice that this is a way rough exhibit of this "flanger" phenomenon, so let alone the more detail this exhibits in. As I said - everywhere.

Along with this goes the vibrato (this is the change of key). So, where this wasn't the case at all in certain by me known tracks, now it is all over. Notice that I am not talkoing about vibrato in a voice or from e.g. a violin where this is an ever applied means, but the more "flutter" like from a turn table. So, when the revolutions of the turn table are not 100% the same (the speed changes somewhat) the effect of that would be the key slightly changing.
With the notice that this would theoretically lead to the audibility of "long term" jitter (which does exist !) it is merely like because of room interactions with the sound itself, doppler-like effects may happen. This is (my) theory only, but when the sound wave is pushed faster than the normal speed of sound, actually some doppler like thing would be happening, and a bass hit would be able to change the pitch of a high frequency bell.
Notice that -whether true at all- this is only partly because of our electronic means of music reproduction, because in the studio (when all playing together) or live, the same thing would happen.

If you combine all of the above, you suddenly end up with "music". Think like a drum computer needing random being slightly off of the beat to mimic human drumming, and this looks the same to me. And hey, just making up a few things, because it is new to me.
The "interaction of harmonics" I dedicated to this subject, is about the so-totally-clear buzz of for example two nylon strings can create (already one string can do that). It is like a zzzing which happens because the different harmonics come together at a certain stage of (decading) level and varying interaction with the guitar's cabinet. The "come together" means a slight frequency change of say one of the "harmonics" which now suddenly falls together with the harmonic of a different part of the instrument implying a sheer add up of the level at (of) that frequency.
I don't think I can describe it better, but these jump outs make things live. Real. It, btw, resembles my earlier expression about suddenly "seeing" how the neck of the guitar (etc. etc.) is held and manipulated, because *everything* is audible. Everything is relative too of course (to W7 in our case), but nothing of this kind was there.

Envision an album like Love from the Beatles (which I don't regard a remaster as such) which contains original tracks (surrounded by different lead-ins and -outs), that I played that album quite a few times, and that I of course heard the songs themselves hundreds of times - and that I did not recognize anything of it anymore. Like I was listening to a different mix.

Ad d (A strange effect of the sound being farther away than before, while looking into it it's only way more forward)

I don't know how this happens and never heard anything like this. It could be a wrong thing by itself, and it should be speaker positioning related. This is allowed of course, but I exactly never changed anything about that positioning for as long as I own these speakers (4-5 years ?). But, for W8 I already had to make a change (see earlier post), so maybe it needs more.

It is an effect of what the eyes see don't match with what the ears tell. Or that reality seems to violate physics. So, a few observations :

- I do not suffer anymore from not being able to listen from a(n actually too far) distance and no stage being there (hearing the closest speaker instead, also knowing that my being at that distance will be opposite to one of the speakers only). So, that all is OK now (it needed a more beam up of the mid-high). However, I hear the sound from where the speakers are, and not from "just in the room". If I *look* at the speakers, I see the sound coming from the plane where the speakers are.

- That channel separation remains the most obvious. I now think this just goes along with the above observation. It's mutually exclusive.

- Knowing that the sweetspot is some 4 meters more towards the speakers, how can it be that the SPL is higher at this larger distance. Yes, higher. We would say "oh Peter, this obviously is because of reflections just behind you at that end of the room you are". But this is not the case. I would hear that by various means.
And do notice that the phenomenon of "mystery feet" as how we call them by now, is able to create the exact same SPL everywhere in the room, which already can't be, but just is so. This looks like a similar trick.

- Also the most strange is that I have another listening position which is at 4 meters from the speakers and which is too close, knowing that the speakers are over 6 meters apart ... which just is perfectly allowed now. This doesn't feel like being too close. It works perfectly.

- Read the above ? Right. And *now* try to feel my discomfort about the sound being as forward as hell. Discomfort because I can't understand it.
So, sound comes from the place of the speakers, but is not layd back at all. The most contrary. And btw, this coincides with the low buffer values and the too high dynamic range which is perceived. A bass nicely plays, while a voice shouts right in front of your nose.
So, the latter not so with the high buffer values, but the least I would expect is everything jumping in my face being at the too short distance. Not so.

To wrap it up (finally), many of my observations are inconsistent or at least they are as long as I can't explain them. This doesn't prevent pointing out Windows 8 as the clear winner at this moment. At least one very important thing for me is consistent : my ideas about the large buffer sizes. The smaller are not to work out for the better but even I had to admit that under W7 they did. But if you compare certain tracks and perceived the total clearness from W7 and SFS=2 while under W8 and SFS=430 (etc.) I can only be clear about the the roughness of W7 (at the low SFS !). Clear and undistorted as it seems, but rough. Under W8 it compares as totally dull and 1 meter of blankets. But listen through it and hear the silkyness of the highs which no even 1cm blanket would let through.
Keep in mind "with certain tracks". Otherwise I never heard so much cymbal before. With the dull setting they carry still somewhat more metal than W7 SFS=2, which more metal IMO was needed.
Make it all small buffers and you will have a most clear signature to the sound, which is a metal one. And really, you won't last for one album then. Well, I won't, and I assume all NOS1 users won't; "We" are not used at all anymore to a signature to the sound. Have that back in an unavoidable fashion, and you will NOT carry forward with this hobby. Not anymore.

Well, let's see for how long I can keep up this story !
Peter
(not checked for typos)

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »

Hey Peter thanks for this.

I think one of the issues that many of us have is that the whole Vista-W7-Vista-W7SP1 debacle is still in our memories. When the SQ is 'good enough' with W7SP1 it's hard to get motivated to try W8. But I'll take the plunge next week when I'm back home. If I go for the cheap upgrade path, is a clean install an option? And if so, would you recommend a clean install?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 02:33:11 pm »

Whilst I was reading your Windows 8 perceptions Peter my Windows 8 Pro upgrade order dropped through the post box.  Happy

Sounds like the next few days are going to be interesting.

I'm guarded about making SQ observations until my system problems are fixed but I'll will post Windows 8 thoughts as soon as I have any.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 02:40:44 pm »

Peter - interesting that there should be such a difference in SQ with W8 any idea what changes under the hood of W8 could make is sound so different?

I have just clean installed W8 on a separate disc so hopefully looking forward to giving it a test drive next week.

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:30 pm »

If I go for the cheap upgrade path, is a clean install an option? And if so, would you recommend a clean install?

Mani.

I think this is the second time I have jumped in and given my opinion on a question you asked Peter.  Will have to stop doing that....

But as long as I'm here, my thoughts:

- I've always been able to use the less expensive MS "upgrades" to do a clean install.  I hope this one is no different.  I have not done more research into this, because like you, Mani, I like the sound on W7.  If Peter keeps talking about better sound, though, I may have to upgrade though it goes against my instincts.

- I tried an "upgrade" install of a Win OS exactly once.  Blecch!  I would always do a clean install unless someone gives me an absolutely unarguable reason to do otherwise (and I can't think of any such reason at the moment).

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:47 pm »

Yes, I would always perform a clean install. But make it a dual boot so you can go back easily.
Or was I saying the obvious ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:44 pm »

It hasn't been said so explicitly (actually still not in the midst of this topic), but I have a driver available for the USB Dongles people obtained from Phasure.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
stefanobilliani
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 05:35:11 pm »

I have done dual boot in uefi , with W8 pro . To me , W8 pro sounds much better , and I believe it is a fantastic OS . Nice to hear about the high SFS settings , will listen to it tonight .

May 27 -2013 ,  0.9z-9

W8 pro 64bit, UEFI
sata ahci mode .
i7 (8 cores ) 2600k
RAM : 16Gig
XXHE on OS disk
Music on OS disk
Playback drive on USB3 to 4Gig Pendrive
Mobo USB 3 to Oversampling dac at 2X
KS adaptive , ArcPredict  , dev buffer 1024
Q1=8 , Q5=3 , res 1msec
Minimized OS , stop all services
X-tweaks : 45,100,1,1,1, stable , optimal
Disk Utilization : Split File Size: 120 ,max the same as SFS
Memory Organization : Straight Contiguous
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:41 pm »

Under W8 it compares as totally dull and 1 meter of blankets.

Absolutely not dull!

Tried SFS=430 here and this sounds a lot more right than SFS=2 which just sounded plain nasty and flatties (remembers me those switching amps we've tested some time ago).

Somehow I got stuck with SFS=2 on W8 and went back to W7 using the same settings which was a lot more listenable but now with W8 its just more music and less annoying...

Thanks! ;-)

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:30 pm »

Bert,

You may try "Planet Dada [Flamboyant]" from Yello. This is pretty close to that "bouncing ball" (??) from Aphex Twin suddenly. If you now don't recognize more detail, then I don't know (not that you denied it, but how to ever justify this difference).
Totally unrecognizable.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:08 pm »

One of the first XXHighEnd versions showed that Mike Oldfield wasn't able to play on key at all. I should have checked that Tubular Bells by now, because I can expect this to be so again.

At this time I like to denote Tubular Bells (I) as the most awful recording ever. Maybe nothing about being on key or something, but
a. distortion all over;
b. a totally "loose" multi track layered (mixed) something. No music anywhere.

I already never played it anymore since my experience basis to above quote (which should have been back in 2007 or so), but for example :

Slightly distorted electric guitar

Slightly ? heck, the announcement itself is distortion only already.
Ok, bad playback means perhaps. smirk

PS: Funny; the HDCD version is even way worse.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:49 pm »

You may try "Planet Dada [Flamboyant]" from Yello. This is pretty close to that "bouncing ball" (??) from Aphex Twin suddenly. If you now don't recognize more detail, then I don't know (not that you denied it, but how to ever justify this difference).

This was the most "annoying" Q-sound experience ever...

Never heard the sound coming around me so close this way, at some moments even as if my ears plopped or got confused by some absolute anti-phase signals, almost like wearing a headphone!

I must try Amused to Death! ;-)

The Yello track sounds very dynamic or should I say LOUD on the high frequency peaks, almost too much as it is easy to set the volume a lot higher than usual without having the feeling that it will get too loud which it does anyway.

Do I make sense here?

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 08:56:29 pm »

Do you make sense ?
I can't determine whether you now like this Yello track or not !

Haha, but really.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »

This is funny. Or maybe not ...

So, we once received someone for some NOS1 upgrade here. Of course everybody is tweaking, so this guy tweaked a few things too. Too bad he tweaked his NOS1 into two times the left channel output, or IOW fairly much mono. He never noticed for months, and I don't know anymore what it took to prove or convince him that he really had been listening to mono all the time. But he really did.

Since this is about a switch on the NOS1 I receive more questions about this, and I totally honestly always say :

Yes, it happens to me too that I only notice at the thrird album or so and then only when I recognize that clearly something from the left or right should be coming from there while it does not. Uh-oh, forgot to switch back after some testing ... !

Today that happened again. But in the worst scenario possible. I am testing Windows 8 for its merits by means of my "Demo directory" which contains tracks from a 300 or so albums and I was almost into the third hour of listening and the *only* thing I noticed on a fairly regular basis is that it seemed to me that Windows 8 was chopping of sounds.
And finally it jumped to me that I was listening to one channel only.

I really wonder ... how can it happen to even me that I just don't notice that I am listening to "mono" ? Or how it could happen to that certain person who even refused to believe me ? It always intrigued me. But now it is wild; my record so far was "into the third album" while listening at complete albums. Today though it must have been the 30th album because of listening to individual tracks. But it also is the first time that I forgot that switch while using Windows 8 ...

Coincidence ?

And yes, I judged Mike Oldfield from that situation. But I won't try again because I don't see it making a difference.
scratching

PS: I guess I better should not have said this about myself eh ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  All
  Print  

Jump to: