XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 10:01:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Test the resolution of your chain  (Read 10291 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »

This is a bit of a fun topic, but it may help you to find how revolving your chain is.

For those who read this later than the current 0.9z-8a version, go to here and ONLY download the main zip from it (there may be additional zips in there later) :

XXHighEnd Model 0.9z-8 (XTweaks and official W8 support)

Then go to this post and unzip the XXEngine3.exe which is downloadable from there over the folder you created for the normal download above :

Re: 9Z-8a and SFS.

Now set the SFS (Split File Size) in Settings at 2 for 705600 Redbook (CD) output but devide it for each lesser output your DAC can take. So, if that is 352800 make the SFS 1 and when it is 176400 make it ~0.5. This is about the frequency of "ticking", and when this little rule is applied ticks will express at 4-5 times per second.

You may read into the subject somewhat by means of the topic of the last referred to link.

Now, I myself already had problems hearing them after being pointed to it by Bert (see that topic). But, since I was told they were in there, I finally could hear them. Later, a but knowing about the signature, I could here it in some other tracks as well. In the numerous albums I played after this knowledge, not.

Do notice that it needs the download of the second link above because otherwise the ticks are more profound (from the original download only).

Next I thought how it could be possible that Bert came up with it while I myself did not. Moreover, the few who responded to the download of the second link told "hey, thanks, ticks have gone now !". Only Paul, per another topic, just yesterday mentioned that he too could perceive the ticks.

And so it got me thinking :
We are with a few out there that undertook everything and all to eliminate (by itself inaudible) noise. I should be amongst those, Bert will and Paul is. Not everybody will be at the same level with this and besides not everybody's chain will be as resolving, this noise level matters.

Since I yesterday found the culprit, which I found to be easily measurable as well, we can now wonder what the state of our system is when we NOT hear those ticks. Not much good perhaps ? Well, it shouldn't be the best.

FYI, the ticks are about illegal tranients happening this 4-5 times per second, which is from one sample to the other. Actually it is about missing samples, which is why the too high change of level-step occurs. But, it really is from one sample to one other sample. Not longer. So, for 705600 output, think that the tick lasts for 1/705600 of a second. This *is* a bit of a moot thing because any voltage jump implies for something we could call a tick, but still it is about the shortness of it and this relates to the electronics used and speedyness of the speaker. IOW, when all can't follow this jump, it will express as a kinf of sweep and won't be a tick at all (and it will be inaudible).

It is like Paul just described in the other topic Ticks are Back) : the louder the music the more audible the ticks should be. This is difficult, because the louder the music, the more it will overwhelm the ticks.

Killing Engine3 right in advance of playback *does* make a difference in this case. The point of skipped samples (so, which samples) will change (this is inherent to how the bug is). However, once a second Play attempt has been made without killing Engine3, all subsequent attempts will work out the same.

Now, after putting out this long introduction, can you hear the ticks/anomalies or can't you ?
The better you can, the more resolving your chain is.
If you can't at all, you know what you might want to do.

As said, a bit of a fun topic, but it could be a nice test.
Peter

PS: Any version newer than 0.9z-8c will not exhibit this.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

Hi Peter,

I did not change the xxengine3 to do this test, but yes I can hear the ticks as mentionned, but with my ear quite close to a speaker.

It is the first time I am hearing this and my guess would be that it is a combination of things:
- System not resolving enough
- "abused ears" from exposition to loud music a long time ago...
- SFS that I tend to put higher than 2
- Not a really silent environment
- W8 and inability to connect with Minimized OS

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
phantomax
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:36:07 pm »

Hi Peter,
ticks clearly aubible with piano solo music but not so with other kinds of music: only audibles in quiet passages and paying a lot of attention to distinguish them from the recording ambient sounds. So I am not in the premier league. Well, I already knew it but, what could I expect from my pedestrian system?  Happy

BTW I never played with SFS so low but, apart from the ticks, the sound seems to be more transparent.

Just one more silly question: Is me or the tick at the starts seems to be on the left side with certain recordings and on the rigth one with others?

Maxi

Audio PC -> AsRock Z79 intel i-3 4170  @~800MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, DIY Linear Power Supply. music on LAN /
Engine#4 Special Mode/Q1/-/3/4/5=*30*/-/*1*/*1*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *5* / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /ClockRes = *15ms* /Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect /
SFS = *0,69*  (max 0,69 / Phase Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 1-3 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback
Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best / Time Stability = not stable / *Custom Filtering low for 176400* / Always Clear Proxy before Playbck = On -> Modified Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 internal soundcard with analog tube buffer (Broskie cathode follower) -> Passive biamplification: Canary Audio CA-301 MkII for highs- mids and Counterpoint SA-100 for lows -> Audiovector M-3 Super / modified Musical Fidelity X-3 (6h6p tubes) -> Grado 1000 headphones.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »

Maxi,

That completely depends on the music data. Can also be from both channels, but that would be a rare coincidence.

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:40 pm »

Ticks are audible at SFS 2 and 705600 in both channels but more perceptible in the left channel. I tested it only with a song that I know very well but even so the ear must be quite close to the speaker to hear the ticks, the music is at -28.5db which in my room is the volume that I use more frequently, not to loud but loud enough.
I can hear always an audible tick at the start of the first track but not in the next ones.
No way to use other settings like SFS1/352800 or SFS 0,5/176400, I receive again the message: Your SFS is too low to allow Unattended Playback!...

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
fas42
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:44:28 am »

Probably not the right thread to say "hello", but anywhere where one can use the phrase "there is no such thing as a bad recording" sounds like a good place to hang around! I just "discovered" xxHighEnd and Peter's efforts via another forum, and I applaud his enterprise in moving the game forward in achieving truly outstanding sound.

I will confess straightaway, and say that my efforts to date have involved good ol' CD players, simply because that's what I started with and I tune into the fiddling required in this arena.

So what am I after? Pretty simple ... to be able to put on any recording, starting with Caruso and anything beyond to the present time, and wind up the volume to any level that the system is capable of producing, fully realistic and natural sound levels, and be completely at ease listening to such.

This is a very tricky and complex journey, the slightest abberation is painfully obvious; but the pleasure when it all comes together makes it all worthwhile ...

So how does this relate to testing "the resolution of your chain"? In that I have a collection of the "worst" recordings which I use to fine tune, tweak my system -- this I find to be a marvellous tool ...

Cheers,
Frank
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:54:47 am »

Hey Frank, welcome then !
I envision that no matter what topic you chose to announce yourself, you couldn't have done it better than here and in this way. All to my heart ! (uhm obviously ?).

Enjoy yourself, and I hope you can make it all for the better !
Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
fas42
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »

That's impressive! A mighty swift response like that does this ol' heart good .. what the world needs is more enthusiasm, plenty of it!

I said that because lately I've been frequenting diyAudio, and the level of negativity that's flowing there at the moment is somewhat depressing ...

Just to fill in some detail: started tweaking seriously about 27 years old, when decent CD players were coming out more often. Got a top of the line Yamaha, and realised that there was a lot that could be "fixed up" in the system overall. This progressed until the day of the epiphany: suddenly I was getting sound so good, that I had never heard anywhere before, on any system, it was a true revelation! Unfortunately, as these things always go, this was a transient moment ... the sound steadily deteriorated back to normal "hifi". So, my journey, and "battle" began: to understand what was going on, and to adjust, rejig my system to consistently produce this quality of sound. An extremely frustrating path - I gave away the whole game for about 10 years because I was just not getting the answers, couldn't get a handle on things - but in recent times have made steady progress.

A key aspect is that I understand that audio replay can be staggeringly good, would totally blow most people away if they really understood how overwhelming, how convincing it can be made to be. But it is not a trivial exercise achieving that - at the moment it's exceedingly difficult getting there. One thing you mentioned in a post was the room no longer mattering; this is one of the markers of progress made, that the acoustic of the recording will completely override the space you happen to be listening in.

Thanks for tuning in,
Frank
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: