XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 18, 2024, 03:53:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9z-8-2 (Windows 7)  (Read 66447 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:44:43 am »

Uh-oh, it is awfully quiet in here. Maybe that is not a good sign. Or maybe by now everybody is afraid to say something ? Don't hold back please.

In the mean time I have something to say myself :

Yesterday, playing somewhat different material than the days before, I suddenly noticed a strange "shrillish" (?) kind of resonance in voices (actually it was the voice of Steve Miller). Before that I already heard a not-so-nice Jensed Gad album (from Enigma) and actually on purpose played ELO, knowing that this can sound "grey-ish" or better, always does but it can be the familiar sound from ELO, or it can be annoying. And so the latter was the case, although I never heard it so refined.
And so I started digging what it could be, and after two hours of changing settings (swoon) I found this :

This is my normal Audio PC with the 870 processor and it can easily take 85 for Balanced Load (won't run hot). And so I had it set at 85 to have it all not unnecessary slow. However, I already know that above a certain value there is something going on which I don't like and the higher Balanced Load is set, the worse this gets. And so I set it to 43 (the minimum where it is still active) and the culprit had vanished.

It is my suspicion that this will count for everybody, and do notice that I have seen at least one post (I forgot from whom) who noticed similar. Although that post implied that the lot running more hot -or actually would imply PSU noise) would not be the best (I now think it was Mani) but personally I don't think it is about the that; it is just that OS behaviour I see which nicely resembles what I now heard. Although what we hear is at micro level and we can't see that (unless I create home-brew plots for it; might even be a good idea).

Later I played the same Jens Gad again, and nothing wrong was with it anymore.

FYI:
It is always good to now and then try stuff from Enigma (or Gad) and/or from ELO. You must know it well to use it as a reference, but when you start with it today, it will be that reference soon. Why ? because the both contain I-don't-know-what for a sort of greyness because of high frequencies which can become flawed or nasty. A special means of recording perhaps - I don't know. Btw, yesterday I for the first time heard how refined the cymbals in ELO actually can be. And so that is what I mean - it is special somehow and therewith good as test material. Just to play when you think you are all set with whatever you have new, and to check whether all really is right, because albums like from these artists should sound better just the same. When not, something went in a strange direction.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:27:55 am »

Hi Peter,

I am a little surprised too, but since I am still discovering the NOS1, I can only say that the sound is... Wonderful ! Happy I tend to take it as a "whole" and sometimes I will hear a new detail that I never heard before. This tells me that the micro-information is even more present and for me it is for the better.

At some point, I have to admit that maybe I should think about getting another amplifier... Not that the one I have is bad, but I am sure I could hear better...

but I tend to to check for the voices and the percussions, provided that the recording is good, but even then I am discovering with the NOS1 that certain recordings are not as good as I thought with my previous combination (converter + dac)...

But we are in February, it is cold, all seems "slower" than normal and from my perspective, to feel that the temperature is getting for the better could surely help. Not very technical thoughts, but very true also Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:30:32 am »

About ELO, would "Fire on High" (from Face the Music) be a good sample of what you mention ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
CaOd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:30 am »

Hi Peter,

I was just about to write something about my first experience with 0.9z-8-2, a little too late.

I have been following remotely (vacation, traveling) the news on Win 8, but never tried it myself.

I was just happy to get 8-2 up and running with no problems yesterday late at night and only played one CD (Moddi - Floriography).

What can I say - just terrific, hillarious, unbelievable sound.

More particular (with this incredibly dense music heard) you have achieved a very emotionally involving music representation. I am not so much focused on the last "bing" of a drumset, what counts more for me is the musical flow, the rhythmicality (? dont know if this word exists in English), the ambience of a recording room, the "physical presence" of instruments - all is perfect now, never have had my system playing at this level. Soundstage is huge, bass has right, precise contour (but not overweight, have to listen more double bass jazz music tonight to judge "crispiness"). Male voice of Moddi is at its best, focused, but not small, huge body and all details there, not analytical but integrated into a great representation of the voice. Channel separation is perfect, I might want to change the inclination angle of my speakers just to get a little more center, will try on the weekend.  

And yes, I had this effect that you described above (like a litte "echo", just once, thought it might be on the recording but never heard it before because now I sensed so many new details. Good to know that there is a fix for it, my processors run at 75 degree with the current settings, so a less temp demanding setting is appreciated.

Overall: I told my wife when I went to bed: "Yes, yes, yes crazy Peter did it again" (actually I said "the crazy dutch guy dit it again"... sorry, its my way of highest appreciation for the piece of art you have given to us), I was totally in emotional flow about this great release (so far, just one CD heard, more impressions if you like after the weekend).

Thanks for it, Peter. For me it works.

Carsten

(sorry, have not yet updated my sig)

August 26, 2013 (0.9z-9b)
MacBookPro 15" i7 2,4Ghz,16GB,Win 8 Pro 64bits, OS on internal SSD, XXHE on internal SSD, Music (WAV) on spinning disc, loaded on Ramdrive,
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 15/0/0/0/5 / Q1Factor = 10 (Dev.Buffer = 256) / ClockRes = 1ms / Straight Contiguous / PA off / SFS = 120 / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off /XTweaks : Balanced Load = 45 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Minimize OS = On / 4 times Arc Prediction Upsampling  -> Weiss DAC202 (modified by Klang&Kunst) -> Jadis DA50Signature -> Audioplan Kontrast V
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:17:44 pm »

There is one thing I never talked before. I can't recall when it happened, but I never really got powerful bass with my System 15 (15" dual concentric transducers), thus I got subs to compensate, but even so I did not get much bass.

It happens sometimes though that I listen while the subs are inactive (and the supertweeters stay "covered", as I don't find it easy to adjust their position over the mains). I get the best phase and coherence then.

One day (a few months ago), I thought my subs were active, because I was feeling a lot of good bass vibrations (not as "Boom Boom", simply more present and refined). No change on my part, no nothing, but maybe a change of version in XXHE. I don't recall with what version it occured to me, but I heard this bass coming from the mains and I was quite surprised. I always heard it, but not with that depth.

I never cared for the acoustics of my rooms, I just took what was there. But for the moment, I am not really interested in changing that acoustic, because what I get is always for the better...

And I have to admit that if I was to attempt putting acoustic panels on the wall, I would be banned from my own home ! Wink

And there is something I still have to get rid of: this nasty habit of feeling that the HF should be more prominent... This is an heritage of bad speakers listening (and bad digital dacs)... Many centuries ago, when I was recording my LPs on a cassette deck, I used to record with the Dolby ON, but listen with it OFF... I did not care about the tape hiss, since I preferred to have more treble than less...

And this nasty habit got the best of me for decades...

Finally, since I like to hear agressive electric guitar, the edginess and "metallic" feel of digital seemed to suit me better... Because something was lacking in my mind compared to vinyl. Now I understand that it was not the same, because there was always a veil over the CD sound. Not anymore...

So yes, I come from afar... Happy

Alain

Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »

Hi Peter,

I was just about to write something about my first experience with 0.9z-8-2, a little too late.

I have been following remotely (vacation, traveling) the news on Win 8, but never tried it myself.

I was just happy to get 8-2 up and running with no problems yesterday late at night and only played one CD (Moddi - Floriography).

What can I say - just terrific, hillarious, unbelievable sound.

More particular (with this incredibly dense music heard) you have achieved a very emotionally involving music representation. I am not so much focused on the last "bing" of a drumset, what counts more for me is the musical flow, the rhythmicality (? dont know if this word exists in English), the ambience of a recording room, the "physical presence" of instruments - all is perfect now, never have had my system playing at this level. Soundstage is huge, bass has right, precise contour (but not overweight, have to listen more double bass jazz music tonight to judge "crispiness"). Male voice of Moddi is at its best, focused, but not small, huge body and all details there, not analytical but integrated into a great representation of the voice. Channel separation is perfect, I might want to change the inclination angle of my speakers just to get a little more center, will try on the weekend.  

And yes, I had this effect that you described above (like a litte "echo", just once, thought it might be on the recording but never heard it before because now I sensed so many new details. Good to know that there is a fix for it, my processors run at 75 degree with the current settings, so a less temp demanding setting is appreciated.

Overall: I told my wife when I went to bed: "Yes, yes, yes crazy Peter did it again" (actually I said "the crazy dutch guy dit it again"... sorry, its my way of highest appreciation for the piece of art you have given to us), I was totally in emotional flow about this great release (so far, just one CD heard, more impressions if you like after the weekend).

Thanks for it, Peter. For me it works.

Carsten

(sorry, have not yet updated my sig)

Peter,

I totaly agree with the above!!

How do you do it!!  clapping

Thanxxxxxx!!!!  Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:57 pm »

Uh-oh, it is awfully quiet in here. Maybe that is not a good sign. Or maybe by now everybody is afraid to say something ? Don't hold back please.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Don't worry  be .............. .

Bass is perfect now, very tight. Have some problems with the heights, which are less accented now, and I will fiddle around with the settings now.

Joachim

Arjan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »

Hi,
I tried 8-2 on my netbook, but going into minimised os is not possible. I get the message to inform Phasure....... I do not have W7 Ultimate, that might be the reason. So i went back to the previous xxhe version.
On my netbook I do not use xtweaks because of the noise that is added. I think similar to what Peter posted.
regards, Arjan

March, 2018 (2.10)
Music Server (old PC) RDC to Mach II Stealth 14393 RAM-OS / no videocard / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/3/4/5 = 30/0/1/1/ Q1Factor = 40 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 0.5ms / SFS = 5.19 Mx = 120 Straight Contiguous / driver buffer 16ms / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = High / Scheme = 3-5 / Unattended / Minimize OS / PeakExtend off / Arc Prediction / NO custom filter / 16x Upsampling / XTweaks 38 (turbo boost off in bios and cpu ratio 24!),1,-,0,1/with coverart / --> mobo USB --> The Lush 100 cm --> NOS1a 75B --> Blaxius --> bnc amps Jadis JA30 (modified and with the best tubes) --> Speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:28 pm »

Arjan, check your Activation.
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
phantomax
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:37:58 pm »

Hello,
In my case the application of the XXTweaks implies a lowering of the multiplier factor from 7,5 to 6 and thus a decrease in the CPU frequency from 2,4 to 1,9 MHz. As I pointed in an older post,  I downsized the FSB,  as Boleary suggested at that time, which is also a drop in CPU frequency, and it meant a improvement. Currently, besides the change in the multiplier factor, I've also lowered the fsb size so that the CPU is running at 1.7 MHz and I think there is some more improvement. So this seems to make sense. Of course there has to be a limit or at least an ideal point somewhere.

Otherwise, after a new W7 installation (again),  heat  I don't want to rush in my estimation about the 0.9z-8-2 (Windows 7) version, so I don't need to eat my words again, but it sounds very promising. Happy

Maxi

Audio PC -> AsRock Z79 intel i-3 4170  @~800MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, DIY Linear Power Supply. music on LAN /
Engine#4 Special Mode/Q1/-/3/4/5=*30*/-/*1*/*1*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *5* / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /ClockRes = *15ms* /Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect /
SFS = *0,69*  (max 0,69 / Phase Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 1-3 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback
Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best / Time Stability = not stable / *Custom Filtering low for 176400* / Always Clear Proxy before Playbck = On -> Modified Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 internal soundcard with analog tube buffer (Broskie cathode follower) -> Passive biamplification: Canary Audio CA-301 MkII for highs- mids and Counterpoint SA-100 for lows -> Audiovector M-3 Super / modified Musical Fidelity X-3 (6h6p tubes) -> Grado 1000 headphones.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:27 pm »

Bass is perfect now, very tight. Have some problems with the heights, which are less accented now, and I will fiddle around with the settings now.

Joachim

My first impression of 9Z8-2 is very similar to Joachim's. Everything sounded really wonderful except the "highs" which seem to lack the sense of "real presence:" the feeling that Eva, Joni, or The Wailing Jenny's, are actually in the room. It occurred to me when I was A-Bing that the magic of 9Z8-d or e is also its downfall. There is a depth to the high end that provides a kind of tonal richness that very much mimics "reality." However, if the volume is the least bit too loud or the singer moves too close to the mike that tonal richness breaks down and literally sounds ragged, sharp or hard edged.

Unfortunately my listening session was only an hour long so I need to do more listening, which may not happen for a while cause things at work are crazy busy. 

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 06:51:33 pm »

Joachim

My first impression of 9Z8-2 is very similar to Joachim's. Everything sounded really wonderful except the "highs" which seem to lack the sense of "real presence:" the feeling that Eva, Joni, or The Wailing Jenny's, are actually in the room. It occurred to me when I was A-Bing that the magic of 9Z8-d or e is also its downfall. There is a depth to the high end that provides a kind of tonal richness that very much mimics "reality." However, if the volume is the least bit too loud or the singer moves too close to the mike that tonal richness breaks down and literally sounds ragged, sharp or hard edged.

Unfortunately my listening session was only an hour long so I need to do more listening, which may not happen for a while cause things at work are crazy busy. 

Hi Brian,

A couple more suggestions (besides Peters balanced load setting of 43 which works really well here), given we have the same mobo etc, these may also help with top end. Your probably doing these already but here goes.

In windows device manager, disable the two USB 2 ports on the mother board. Having these two USB ports enabled in device manager is the kiss of death for high frequency SQ on my PC.

Another thing to try is checking the box to give priority to background services in Computer => manage => advanced system settings => advanced => performance => settings => advanced => background services. This may have SQ effects elsewhere but seems to clean up the highs.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 07:14:52 pm »

Nick, I saw you mentioning the latter elsewhere already, but I don't think it is a good idea. There is too much involved to sort of "claim" that this works out for the better. It may change the sound though.

No problem to try it, if you only know that all the priority schemes are controlled already so the least you will achieve is messing with that hence make it inconcistent. May still sound better, but no logic will apply to anything anymore, especially when people have problems.

That's all !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »

By the wayyyy ...

If the general consensus is going to be that the higher frequency output is lessend, then I don't understand one f*ck of that. I never had such high frequency (for level) output before. And I think it is this reason why I now heard that strange kind of reverberation in s-es. But not sure. At least no any SFS setting and what not helped a bit to that, which is what I right away expected. I couldn't even hear a difference on the high frequencies when SFS was set to good old 430. Maybe we suffer from washing machine desease over here.

Anyone with horns who can agree with MORE higher frequency output (W7 !) ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »

Thanks Nick. I already have all usb ports, except renesis, turned off in Device manager. Will give the "Priorities" tweak a listen when I get a chance. Am wondering though if you've formed any opinions on 9Z8-2 versus other 9Z8 versions (as used in W7)?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: