XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 11:16:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: W8 Versus W7  (Read 24154 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:53 pm »

I am nearly on the point of craziness comparing W7(9z82) versus W8(9z81a). W7 and W8 are on separate discs here. They are both identical minimal setups. And both are working without any problems (first for a while).

So I installed W7 (9z82) and thought "great" this is what I want all the characteristics of W8 and I can have the wallpaper and also I can probably get remote control set up again via bluetooth. So far so good a big improvement in the W7 sound without any doubt and much closer to the W8 sound I like. So after listening for some time I thought this is it - no reason to try W8 again.

But then as I was listening to some Stekpanna (excellent SQ jazz) I started to think that it sounded a bit "flat" a bit diffuse not as dynamic as W8 and I just could not hear those individual strands quite the same. MMmmm I just had to boot up the W8 disc again. And it sounded great I have to say more dynamic and I could definitely hear more of those strands in the music. The sound of individually plucked strings clearer fewer artifacts just more natural.

So then I went back to W7 and played a track from hell bad SQ which so far has sounded plain bad in W8. And here it is that I made a change setting SFS=1 and Q1=7 and that is the point where W8 really started to rock. I played "Mad About the Boy" Dinah Washington and nothing can hide the sibilance on Dinah's voice but in W8 the sibilance was a clean SSsssss which did not sound too bad I have to say. I then tried the same in W7 and the sibilance was SSshhh it sounded as though there was more "hash". It does sound to me as though W7 is adding something maybe a blurring of the sound - smoothing of the nasties.

But then again I was listening to W8 Ray Brown - Double RB earlier tonight and I started to think that maybe it had a slight hard edge that I had not heard before. So then I played it on W7 and for the first time I noticed the same thing but not as pronounced so it had been there all the time but only noticed for the first time via W8. To be fair is an OK sounding album and I am probably listening to the slightest of differences that most sensible people would not hear and it they did not be interested in at all.

So where am I? well for sure if I am going to just sit down and listen to music I will boot up the W8 disc. I cannot go back to W7 where the sound is just that bit more smeared a bit flatter and not quite as dynamic.

Peter maybe not what you want to hear but this is my honest appraisal. Nick will be coming soon and I look forward to his honest objective view - because I am at the point where I really do need a second opinion (or maybe psychiatric help ha ha).

By the way my wife says that if she hears Bob Dylan again which I have been using for comparisons she will throw my hi fi out of the window.

Comparisons are such a bad idea.

Ah also - it has taken me a long time to come the above conclusions so maybe that is an indication that I am comparing very small differences - I don't know but for sure I do know that there is no question - it is the W8 disc that stays booted and ready for listening.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:53:45 pm »

Paul hi,

I'm really looking forward to coming over to take a listen  were going to have a lot to get through Happy, not long now.

Not wanting to drop a brick in the pond and cause more Bob Dylan to be played  Wink but did you have Peters suggested setting of 43 for balanced load set in W7. Things really took off with 09-z82 and W7 this evening, before this setting I recognised the smearing and description of sibilance in the sound, now it's much better.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:57 pm »

OK catching the brick I had set balanced load to 47 (by mistake) for both W7 and W8 but now have set both to 43.

The result? I am sitting down to an evening of music and which OS am I listening to? ..................... well it is W8.

But like most of us here I always humbly remember the number of times I have made a mistake which has only become apparent after many hours of listening. So that is my caveat - I must listen more - much more to be sure.

But Nick please bring along your "honest ears" I will appreciate your opinion as I am beginning to feel a bit isolated on this one. Why has no one else posted on this? I guess you all must all be happy with the latest W7 XX release?

Proost

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:32 pm »

Why has no one else posted on this?

Hey Paul, I'm currently out of town and intend to try 0.9z-8-2 when I get back. I do actually have 0.9z-7-5  loaded onto my W7 work laptop and it works amazingly well with my Dragonfly DAC - perfect for when I'm on the go. But I'm a bit reluctant to try 8-2 in case I have a Bert-like incident - simply can't afford for anything to go wrong with my work laptop when I'm out of town.

Will definitely share my W7 vs. W8 thoughts over the weekend. Meanwhile, hang in there.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
phantomax
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:32 am »

Something has gone wrong with the new W7 install because now I can't initialize W8 so I am going to talk about what I remember of it. I must admit that the sound is even more refined with  the (9z82) version on W7. The "weigth" has increased but is not as pronounced as it was in (9z81a) version on W8. I liked it a lot but if I have to choose between the two characteristics I prefer refinement even if it means a sligth weigth loss ( If I was talking about me I'd prefer a LARGE weigth loss).
So for now I feel no need to fix the W8 boot issue because the sound is so good in W7. Besides I am a little bit tired of OS installs and boot problems so I prepare to enjoy some good listening sessions. bye

Maxi

PD. Said that I am ready to eat my words again with the consequent weight increase. But not today, maybe tomorrow.

Audio PC -> AsRock Z79 intel i-3 4170  @~800MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, DIY Linear Power Supply. music on LAN /
Engine#4 Special Mode/Q1/-/3/4/5=*30*/-/*1*/*1*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *5* / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /ClockRes = *15ms* /Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect /
SFS = *0,69*  (max 0,69 / Phase Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 1-3 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback
Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best / Time Stability = not stable / *Custom Filtering low for 176400* / Always Clear Proxy before Playbck = On -> Modified Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 internal soundcard with analog tube buffer (Broskie cathode follower) -> Passive biamplification: Canary Audio CA-301 MkII for highs- mids and Counterpoint SA-100 for lows -> Audiovector M-3 Super / modified Musical Fidelity X-3 (6h6p tubes) -> Grado 1000 headphones.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:28 am »

MMmmm oh dear maybe some second thoughts.

Last night I had an extended listening session with W8. No special quality recordings just some old favourite jazz recordings. And the longer I sat listening the more irritating the sound became. I ended up listening on W7.

But I am confused. Many of the good SQ recordings I have sound fantastic under W8. Dynamic detailed etc etc.

And with the latest settings that really bad Dinah Washington track sounds clearly better under W8 because much of the sibilance hash sounds cleaner.

So what is going? I go back to W7 and sound is softer a but squashed missing some aspects of W8 I really like. I can't toggle between OS's depending on the type of album I am playing so maybe I am going to end up on W7.

Confused - Nick help I need your ears!!!

Paul

stefanobilliani
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:04:13 am »

For "User" here , XXHE in W8 the best is the first ever W8 version , running from the W7 folder ( dual boot ) . The other versions  degrade the sq especially in minimized os .

Going to the last W7 version in W7, I have seen a coloration, which more or less was attributed to W8 ( maybe we were seeing it going away ?? ) , coming back at the price of a great distorsion of harmonics ( even *if* in a good fashion ) . Slight shock to the ears , some times needed to recover . Drums too " cutted of " from their language .... o yes . Music has a language ....

*Maybe* software is going in wrong direction now  .

Regards .

May 27 -2013 ,  0.9z-9

W8 pro 64bit, UEFI
sata ahci mode .
i7 (8 cores ) 2600k
RAM : 16Gig
XXHE on OS disk
Music on OS disk
Playback drive on USB3 to 4Gig Pendrive
Mobo USB 3 to Oversampling dac at 2X
KS adaptive , ArcPredict  , dev buffer 1024
Q1=8 , Q5=3 , res 1msec
Minimized OS , stop all services
X-tweaks : 45,100,1,1,1, stable , optimal
Disk Utilization : Split File Size: 120 ,max the same as SFS
Memory Organization : Straight Contiguous
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:05 am »

A bit addressed to Paul : No. All you need is get some senses and recognize + admit that no CD player, playback software or OS for that matter that is only good at Rock or another genre, is neutral, nor will it be any good.

If you like some aspects of -in this case- W8, it is only that you can't dig out the baddies coming along with it. They may not even be there for the music you play. But the sheer fact that not all works should tell you enough. Anyway that is my way of living and the exact reason why it can't take one day only to decide with whatever it is I "improved". I have been crazy already to let W8 last weeks, while at the first track I played already it should have been clear. On the other hands, of course, it took weeks because I and maybe we all were under the impression that things could be solved. Well, since I can't, we can't. Not because I tell you you can't, but because, sadly, I am sort of needed to get it going.

What puzzles me somewhat is the enormous stereo (channel separation) effect I now can achieve from W7 just the same. And as far as I'm concerned, all I did with W7 was going towards the direction of W8 which carries some of those "attributes" inherently.

With W8 I have been torturing myself for all those weeks and even when so much more sounds were perceived and it looked good, it was still tiptoeing on the edge of, well, edgyness and all already has crossed a border already. If you, at such a moment, think it has to be for the better "because", you are already fooling yourself. Look :

Overall: I told my wife when I went to bed: "Yes, yes, yes crazy Peter did it again" (actually I said "the crazy dutch guy dit it again"... sorry, its my way of highest appreciation for the piece of art you have given to us), I was totally in emotional flow about this great release (so far, just one CD heard, more impressions if you like after the weekend).

When I read this a few days back, I recognized I had been in total extasy which sort of resembles Carsten's expression here. This is not only because I like the sound so much from W7 and 0.9z-8-2, this is not only because I now hear so much more from W7 compared to before, but it merely is because I can play and play and play and totally NOTHING is wrong anywhere. Nowhere. Most probably I will be able to find things for the better in W8 for certain tracks or complete albums, but I am no fool; The few time I have to enjoy music is not to be destroyed by half and more not working. But merely and as how I know it from a very long time : when a certain number of albums is not working, something is very wrong in the first place and I KNOW I should not fool myself with anything else sounding for the better. It will only show for the better - my ears and brain are fooled, and it is NO professional attitude to even think that the one half which is better, thus prevails and we have a better version (or DAC or etc.). NOT thinking like this is important, because by now we (or at least I) have the reference of ALL being able to play with super-joy. So when it suddenly can not, then it is not for me, but it should not be for you either. You will be focusing on the wrong things and end up with improper solutions to it (like me suddenly needing to reposition speakers).

Yesterday I have been playing albums from 1968. Just because a first sounded so damn good on the openness, freshness and cymbals. I heard a Steppenwolf which I only recalled from the movie Born to be Wild which was actually just before my time. Listen to it. It sounds from today but then good. I never knew it could be any good or close to it. After that it only got better with Neil Young's first in HDCD of which I am totally confident that its pureness which is created from (HDCD's) silkyness together with the beautifully rendered guitars and sensitive singing, draws you into it and which -I guarentee you- will NEVER happen in the current W8 state. You may hear more detail but there will be no silk and no emotion and it will be a technical experience. Let's bet about THAT for a nice bottle (and I did not try it). But might you have been able to depress your emotion before the last track "Last trip to Tulsa", try to keep your eyes dry during this one. Better than even Stevie Nicks, and I am talking about *knowing* how stories (lyrics) will be true just because the way they are sang. W8 won't do that.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:36:47 am »

Stefano,

I think it was you who tried to tell me something by private mail or PM about W2012 (which is what you are using, right ?) "having no Metro", but after a question from me it turned out that you meant something else and I recall that I could not understand it.

Can you repeat what you tried to tell me about this ? Maybe it is important.

Thanks,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:22:31 pm »

I can play and play and play and totally NOTHING is wrong anywhere.

super-joy

I was about to try W8 until Peter came up with his post about W8 being not good.

I can confirm about this super-joy!

Really never had so much fun listening!!

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 12:46:57 pm »

MMmmm oh dear maybe some second thoughts.

Last night I had an extended listening session with W8. No special quality recordings just some old favourite jazz recordings. And the longer I sat listening the more irritating the sound became. I ended up listening on W7.

But I am confused. Many of the good SQ recordings I have sound fantastic under W8. Dynamic detailed etc etc.

And with the latest settings that really bad Dinah Washington track sounds clearly better under W8 because much of the sibilance hash sounds cleaner.

So what is going? I go back to W7 and sound is softer a but squashed missing some aspects of W8 I really like. I can't toggle between OS's depending on the type of album I am playing so maybe I am going to end up on W7.

Confused - Nick help I need your ears!!!

Paul

Paul hi,

This is interesting you have just summarised above why I like W7 slightly better overall. W8 presents more detail and clarity etc, W7 runs W8 close with 9-z82 in these areas but W7 is just more involving even if it's not quite so "clear".

Its a very close call though. I am guessing that out systems are the difference (that would have to be speakers Duos vs AN/Es). I am guessing that your AN/E inject a little sparkle into the W8 sound that the Duos don't and so W8 sounds better. The differences are quite small between the two and personal preference is going to play a big role at this level.

I'm really looking forwards to taking a listen.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:58:29 pm »

I felt that the sound of my windows 7 install was not as good as a remembered from just a week ago when it was reinstalled last. The poorer sound was coming from a very clean install that had been through 5 cycles of min OS to normal OS changes and A/Bing of a couple of "tiny" OS tweaks. Just to humour my curiosity to see if sound had changed, I thought I would do a complete reinstall last night of W7, XXHE and recopied my music into the single disk I am using.

The result is the sound is once again MUCH better. Either I will not be touching any OS settings in future or might the OS sound worse as files etc are moved around the disk ??

Has anyone else come across this ?

Regards,

Nick.

ps there is a chance that the effect could be related to the "noise" problem I have been having, but this has been extremely well behaved lately and I did do tests for noise before and afterwards and really could not point to this being the difference.

Audio PC

Diede
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »

Paul, you're not alone on your findings of W8 vs. W7, I almost 100% concur.

After all these contradictory messages on the forum I've decided to do a clean install of W7 and W8 on separate partitions of the same hard disc.
I use the same XXHE settings for both, see my signature.

After some listening to both OS's I again have to confirm that the clear winner for me and on my system is W8.

I'll try to report on the differences:
In W8 there is more detail, better timing, better attack of cymbals, strings etc, more black background, tighter bass, less distortion and the overall soundstage is more balanced;
For example during applause in a live recording you can hear much more the individuals clapping hands, and the soundstage is less blurry;
The kick of a bass drum is clean yet full and deep;
cymbals sound very detailed and very well positioned without getting harsh;
the snares of a guitar have a better attack and still sound full;
a contrabass is well defined, has just the right weight, well positioned and never gets blurry;
and voices are well defined, detailed but not overly so.

W7 has a fuller midrange, which I personally don't like; it's just too much to my liking, the mid-low in voices seems too much present. Furthermore the overall sound is more veiled even with the lower SFS settings.

I've tried different genres of music and recordings to see whether it makes a difference, and obviously as there is more detail, when a recording is bad it will be more revealed.

In terms of the soundstage and stereo-effect; Yes there is a clear difference between W8 and W7. In the sweetspot in W8 everything is fine, well positioned (I don't experience too much panning as reported by some) as is with W7, although the instruments are a bit larger (less pinpoint).
Outside of the sweetspot things are more different however, W7 has a better soundstage overall, and I experienced some strange effect in W8 where the bass was perfect in the sweetspot and more close to the loudspeakers, but behind the sweetspot it lost weight somehow.
Was this due to my room acoustics (I haven't treated the room at all), the positioning of my speakers (I let the speakers cross in the sweetspot) I don't know, but this was certainly a lot less in W7. Changing the position of the speakers certainly has a more profound effect in W8 (and I don't use horns), and it may be related to what some reported as phasing issues in W8.

So why are my findings so different from others (no horns, not an ideal audio-pc, the room, ...), I don't know, and I may indeed be fooling myself, but I sure do enjoy listening to music via W8.
Like Paul I'll ask some friend's ears to help me out, just to make sure I'm not going crazy   wacko

Diede

W8 and W10 - June 8, 2015 (2.02)
XXHighEnd PC (own build) -> i7 4930K Hyperthreading On (12 cores), 16GB, Windows 8 Pro 64bit or *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Insider Preview build 10074* on separate SSD’s,  XXHE on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk), music on internal spinning disk & LAN (*always On*) / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *4* (max 60) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core3-5 / Playback Drive 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended / All Services Off / Keep LAN - *Persist* / WallPaper *Off* / OSD *On* /Running Time *On* / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *63* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / *Custom Filter Mid 705600 or High 705600* / -> USB3 (Silverstone non isolated) Sw#3 of NOS1a = down) -> *WireWorld Ultraviolet USB Cable 1m* -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (*4ms*) -> own build NCore NC1200 amps (4 mono per channel), own build of Orelo MKI Open Baffle Horn Speakers
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »

Good to hear others views of W8 and W7. I remember back to when I used to run "vanilla" W7 and it sounded edgy and it was when I applied updates that the edgy sound disappeared.

Paul

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »

Totally unimportant : I don't recall that Paul. Unless you mean the update to SP1 (which of course could have been covered by individual updates).

Important : Back at the time we were not as keen on all this as we are today. But mind you, when W7 came about, everybody was raving just the same. Too bad that I was not so much, but in the mean time had to solve all the (changed) priority issues in W7 and people received stops all over etc. Took me more than 6 months.
And what for ?
To later find that SP1 actually solved what Vanilla all did wrong in the sound department. And yes, in a later stage half of us even got back to Vanilla because I was so stupid to hear a better bass wich later again appeared to be not accurate at all.

This is all not a matter of getting used to or something. It has to be right and it has to be right right out of the box. When not, you can bet something is wrong and everybody starts disagreeing because we suddenly run into subjective-mode. We will, because when something is wrong we start to pick what we like best. For one this is a bass, for another cymbals. Etc.

Think about this please. How objectivity and agreement (about good or wrong doesn't matter) can turn into subjectivity and no communication possible.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:36 pm »

I remember when I listened to W8 the first times. The sound was "sharp" and strangely I could hear the sound coming more from the speakers.

Then with time I discovered that certain songs seemed odd at certain passages. I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes percussions do not sound so natural. This is not consistent though. "inconsistency" is the word that comes to my mind.

When I come back to W7, it requires on my part a certain amount of time because I feel there is something a little more blurred, but there is also an harmony and a sense of "all playing together" that I don't feel is as present in W8. After a while, I don't hear that blurr and in fact I wonder if I am not confusing this with another effect that I can't describe. But since I can hear more details, my guess is that "blurr" is not what I should entitle to express this difference between the 2 OSes...

But there is definitely a difference between these 2 and to try to "merge" them seems (actually) to confuse more than to confirm something ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 02:39:33 pm »

Peter - when I updated W7 from vanilla it included SP1.

Paul

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »

Either I will not be touching any OS settings in future or might the OS sound worse as files etc are moved around the disk ??

Regards,

Nick.

Hey Nick, I have experienced times where SQ significantly improved after defragging. So I have always assumed that files being moved around on the disk do make a difference.

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 02:19:04 pm »

I've just installed 0.9z-8-2 on my W7 HDD... and absolutely love the sound. I mean, there is no way anyone would think this is digital. No way. Totally smooth, and yet with all the inner detail you could want. No edge whatsoever. But I'm right down at SFS=1. Higher SFSs smooth the sound off a little too much.

I need to reinstall W8 on my other HDD to make a comparison. But quite frankly, I'm not in much of a hurry to try this.

Whatever you did Peter, it works for me 100%. Thanks so much.

Mani.

Edit: Just another point. I'm pretty sure my room is being energized in a totally different way now. There don't seem to be any standing waves and yet I'm getting a lot more vibrations coming up through my seat than I normally have. I think this actually adds to the enjoyment.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »

Vibrations through the seat always add to the enjoyment, I find.   Wink

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 06:48:39 pm »

Interesting that Peter(?), Mani, etc., are liking Q1=7, Q1 factor, SFS = 1, with a device buffer of 4096, while I find a sweet spot at Q1=14, Q1 factor and SFS = 2, with a device buffer of 512.  In both cases the product is 28672.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:30 pm »

Either I will not be touching any OS settings in future or might the OS sound worse as files etc are moved around the disk ??

Regards,

Nick.

Hey Nick, I have experienced times where SQ significantly improved after defragging. So I have always assumed that files being moved around on the disk do make a difference.

Brian hi,

Interesting about the defrags. I can see me doing regular rebuilds from now on.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 10:52:44 pm »

OK I give in - there is clearly something wrong with W8. I was seduced (I think) by false dynamics (caused by noise or some peculiar distortion) I really don't know but or sure W8 has a hard edge that I cannot live with.

But I have to say some music in W8 sounds stunning. Hey ho W7 it is (for now).

So Peter do you have any hunch as to what the problem with W8 is?

Paul

phantomax
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 10:12:30 am »

When I read this a few days back, I recognized I had been in total extasy which sort of resembles Carsten's expression here. This is not only because I like the sound so much from W7 and 0.9z-8-2, this is not only because I now hear so much more from W7 compared to before, but it merely is because I can play and play and play and totally NOTHING is wrong anywhere. Nowhere.
Peter

After some exhaustive listening sessions I can suscribe 100% the above.

Great job Peter...AGAIN.

Maxi

Audio PC -> AsRock Z79 intel i-3 4170  @~800MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, DIY Linear Power Supply. music on LAN /
Engine#4 Special Mode/Q1/-/3/4/5=*30*/-/*1*/*1*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *5* / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /ClockRes = *15ms* /Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect /
SFS = *0,69*  (max 0,69 / Phase Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 1-3 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback
Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best / Time Stability = not stable / *Custom Filtering low for 176400* / Always Clear Proxy before Playbck = On -> Modified Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 internal soundcard with analog tube buffer (Broskie cathode follower) -> Passive biamplification: Canary Audio CA-301 MkII for highs- mids and Counterpoint SA-100 for lows -> Audiovector M-3 Super / modified Musical Fidelity X-3 (6h6p tubes) -> Grado 1000 headphones.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: