XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 11:03:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Visit to Paul's  (Read 6444 times)
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »

Hi,

I was lucky enough to spend last Saterday at Paul's place, with Paul and his family, listening to Paul's system.

It's a while since I last listened to Paul's music system which had improved again with Peter's latest significant release of XXHE and Paul adding an X-Sound PCIe card in to his PC. I always love the sound and as usual it drew us into some very enjoyable listening with its strikingly real portrayal of musical events.

One of the reasons for my visit was for us to try my newly built bi-amped and bridged gainclone amplifier in Paul's system. After a nervous hour getting out ears "into" the system playing through Pauls single ended bi-amped gainclones we swopped in my new bridged gainclone amp.

It was one of those "one note demo" situations we just felt immediately that things had fundamentally improved. Stand out changes were the significant improvements I substance, presence, stage size (I didn't think that was possible given the starting point) control and the effortless flow and  super fast dynamics.

A violin solo played using the single ended gainclone amp was really wonderfully portrayed but didn't quite cure my aversion to reproduced violin music. There was still just too much cat gut in the sound and not enough resonance from the body of the instrument. With the bridged amp in place the resonance of body coupled with strings was simply mesmerising, a real first for me.

Paul summed up the amp change by saying that he had been wishing for an amp that could provide more body, control and detail without losing out on the great points of his single ended bi-amped gainclones. The is exactly what the bridged gainclone amp manages to do. The rest of the afternoon passed listening to track after track smiling like idiots and remarking on elements of the musi's portrayal. I suspect that Paul has found his new wished for amp and for me the new bridged amp is a keeper, no question.

Thanks to Paul and family for putting up with a hifi nut for the day and for such such wonderful hospitality.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:04:27 am »

As always Nick is a most welcome visitor and I was looking forward to hearing Nicks new balanced biamped GC in my system.

To say that I am satisfied with the sound of my system as it is now would be an understatement. Since the latest software from Peter the sound has been detailed smooth and refined to a level where to be honest I had lost interest in up-grading preferring instead to get on and listen to the music.

I had decided to build a new GC amp anyway because I am building a system for my brother and passing my current biamped GC on to him. So why not go the whole way and build a balanced biamped GC?

However, I was a little concerned that the performance on the balanced amp may not be perfect. Sure there would be more power but would I lose any of the SQ? would the inevitable mismatch in performance envelope between 2 chips driving each driver affect the SQ etc etc?

There is a comment on the Peter Daniel website that the dynamics of a balanced GC can sound a little odd. I was concerned because the sound of my system is very dynamic and I did not want to upset that aspect.

I need not have worried. The improvement in SQ was immediately obvious. As soon as the new amp started to play Nick and I looked at each other and laughed. This was really something. Every single aspect of SQ was improved there was no downside at all. To take an already great sounding system and improve it in every single aspect is something that does not happen very often but that is what happened.

As Nick states the sound became fuller richer more dynamic with a big improvement in bottom end control and extension. I was expecting that the bottom end control and extension would be improved but to honest I was not expecting the mid to top end to improve significantly. But that was the area that really stood out - it sounded as though the amp had grabbed total control of the speakers. Any real instrument with strings sounding so natural - the natural tone of the instrument being presented in such a life like and natural way. The dynamics and presentation of the music was simply stunning.

I was expecting an improvement but I have to say I was taken aback. There were no downsides at all that either of us could hear.

Listening to Bonobo "Black Sands" the electronic strings at the start of the album have always been edgy. I always though that was due to the recording quality but playing it with the balanced GC really improved the presentation with the "strings" sounding much better rounded smooth.

Ravel's Tzigane an old but stunningly good recording was good before but now the quality of the string reproduction and tonal quality of the violin simply moved into another league.

The one thing that has always surprised me on my journey to getting this system is that at no point have I thought the GC was holding back performance. I just wonder how many people out there really know just how good GainClone amplifiers are? certainly this level of performance is much higher than my old SE mono block tube amps (£17k retail!!!)

For anyone interested I am going to regularly post progress on my new balanced GC amp build. That project has gained a new urgency now that I have heard what it is going to sound like.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:38:58 pm »

Thanks for the write-up guys. Shame I couldn't make it. It would have been interesting to see (hear) where my BD-Design gainclone monos came out in the comparison. IMO, they are seriously good amplifiers - in many ways as good as my Sauermann monos, though with a tad less warmth and body (attributes I just love). But still certainly better than any other amps I've previously owned.

Maybe next time...

Cheers, Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »

Mani - no problem we will schedule another meeting in a few weeks when I have finished my amp and it is bedded in.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: