XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 08:09:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 and 09-z9, a match made in heaven?  (Read 62181 times)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:57:26 am »

Is Windows 8 and the new version of XXHighEnd (09-z9) the best combination so far between the OS and XXHighEnd?. The answer is, in my opinion YES.
Naturally certain conditions are required, for example, it also requires of a proper hardware configuration in the Music PC (as Peter has suggested in another post http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2421.msg26705 # msg26705 ), and to find solutions to some problems of W8. Also the other system components require special care. As for example in some aspects as the vibration isolation or having power lines for the sound system separated from the rest of the house.

For the changes implemented in the hardware of my Music Pc I have faithfully followed the recommendations of Peter. I took out from inside the computer the hard drives with music and  I left in the computer the hard drive with OS/XXHighEnd as well as the hard drive I use as Playback Drive both with SATA III connection.
The hdd with music, at this moment 2 x 2TB each, are connected to a self-powered USB 3.0 hub and this hub to an USB 3.0 port in the motherboard. I tested the differences in SQ of the two mb USB 3.0 ports and the remaining free port in the TeckNet USB 3.0 PCIe card until finally I chose the one I think sounded better, that is one in the mb.

With respect to software, I have not touched anything in the W8 BIOS, so it is installed as is (Windows 8 Pro). No updates installed and no virtual memory. That's it.

I've tried almost all the possible combinations of W7 and W8 with previous versions of XXHE and with the latest version. I tested also some combinations of settings in 09-z9 as Phase Alignment on/off, different values ​​for Q5, iPhase off or +/- ON, clock resolution etc. and in the end I used the Peter settings for 09-z9, which for me also sound the best.

As I say W8 and 09-z9 it is in my opinion the best OS/XXHE combination so far. The main differences in SQ I detected with respect to other combinations of OS/XXHE are:

- Detail. The sound is the most detailed I've heard. I used, as always, a few albums I've listened literally hundreds of times. I have discovered new sounds that were hidden and it was an unbelievable surprise. Never before, in any case, I had heard certain sounds that are now perfectly audible.

- Density. The sound is dense and I wish I could explain, dense as I mean is not equal to thick, but a fuller sound with more information, I could define it, for lack of better words, like a more mature sound, more complete.

- Bass. The bass deserves a special comment. At first it seems too large, even a little fuzzy, but if you get used to it you´ll be hearing a bass that seems to be more faithful to the recording than previously. That is, if the bass is exaggerated it appears so, however in well made recordings the bass appears with an almost perfect intonation and depth. In my opinion, if the bass has the right size and it is correctly reproduced, as it is the case in the 09-z9 version, it becomes an essential factor to give the sound that density to which I referred.

- Palpability. The combination of the three previous sections gives the sound a palpability even greater than at other times. It seems as if the sound had a physical embodiment, as if it could be touched.

- Volume. With regard to the volume level I'm not sure if in other versions it is as important as it is now. I think that the richness of the sound is volume level dependent, and I guess that it will happen in each system (including the listening room), in my case with the 09-z9 version the better setting is -33db/-31.5db, that's the equivalent to 30db/-28.5db when PeakExtend was active in the other versions which is the volume that was using before most of the time.

Finally, I would like to comment on other important issues such as the control of vibration and the separate power lines for the rig that also contribute to some extent to the excellent sound of W8/09-z9.

With regard to vibration, if anyone has seen the photos of my system it may have called attention to a number of discs I've placed on the amplifiers and the NOS1. Both have the boxes without sufficient isolation for the vibration (sorry Peter) and if you hit with the fingers on the external plates you can feel that the boxes are not tight. So I put the discs above and also looking for the correct placement that avoids these vibrations, once I placed the  discs hitting with the fingers give a deaf sound. I think it increases the sharpness. The same applies to the foot of NOS1 and amplifiers. In this case it seems that Peter used a Magic Feet or something like that, I use some cones I retained from a Wadia cd player and have placed them, in the case of the NOS1 beneath the four corners and in the center, 5 in total. What I can say at the end is that all these changes contribute to the best sound. To complete the issue of vibrations the external hard drives are suspended by rubber bands, one being a special case Sharkoon and another a wood box with ther rubber bands that I made ​​myself. The computer case has also some pressed rubber feet that I´ve found at a very cheap price. I'll put some pictures in the post HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC FOR XXHIGHEND AND ...

The separate power lines, as it is well known also contribute to the SQ. I have it in my home although in my case I can not have a ground different from that of the building in which I live, I can switch off from the electrical box almost the whole home except the sound system. With respect to the part that concerns the Music PC what I did was take out from the audio circuit (again thanks Peter) the hard drives with music and I have connected it to other independent power breakers of the house and the sound equipment. These hdd are also are connected to a power conditioner.

The combination of all what I have said here makes a sound that IMHO is the best so far. I guess that to the extent that Peter will delve into Windows 8 will appear better XXHE versions, which,  although it seems difficult, we all know from experience that it is possible.

Thanks Peter.

Best regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »

Hi Juan,

After reading your review, I can only concur with your conclusions (altough I do not have such a masterful writing). You put in words perceptions that I can't express right enough, but there are at least 3 things that striked me yesterday as I started a more critical listening.

I was stunned at the bass presence ! I was quite shocked by this as it never felt that way before.

The second thing is that when we switched to 09-7, I felt there was a loss of presence for the most prominent instruments (the ones that are in the "front"), as a trade off for more details. Now these instruments have regained their presence AND the details are still there, without any loss. I should precise: more details than before in fact.

And there is a "blackness" that just render all the music even more alive and striking.

It is the first time I follow suggestions from Peter and many other posters. There is a sense of "family" here that I never found anywhere else.

Thanks Peter, thanks Juan... And thanks to all that share their appreciation, positive critics - all in a respectful manner.

We are in a "micro climate" here and I hope it will stay that way Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:56:27 pm »

Thanks a lot Juan,

That will motivate me to install W8 and 09-z9!

One question though: For music, do you use a SATA 3 HDD and a converter to connect to the USB 3.0 mb?

Best wishes,
Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:54:42 pm »

I’m a little slow to post on 09-z9 because there have been so many change in my system to settle in (new amp, 2nd balanced mains transformer for my woofer modules etc etc).

So this afternoon I patched with 09-z9b to take a look at the tool tips for Q5. Just for a starting point I tried Q5=10 and Clock at 1ms (I’m using W7), wow  wacko Then moved to SFS of 20 (was 2.5) and again WOW ! The just to see what would happen I put Phase Alignment + on at Phase alignment factor of 2.

W T F Shocked

I am L O V I N G 09-z9b and what Q5 is doing here, I totally agree with Juan and Alan about sound characteristics, there is such a sense of palpability.

Now back to listening.

Thanks Peter, 09-z9b is spectacular clapping clapping clapping

EDIT Double Ooops
I thought I was posting in the "09-z9 Impressions" thread. Maybe W7 and 09-z9 are also a match made in heaven haha...

And now the version is z9b not the fictional z9a.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »

To avoid confusion : 0.9z-9a officially does not exist. 0.9z-9b does.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »

One question though: For music, do you use a SATA 3 HDD and a converter to connect to the USB 3.0 mb?

Oh, I read your signature: WD USB 3.0 HDD.

OK!

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:32:14 pm »

Hey Nick - Well what can I say? - on this occasion I have to completely disagree with you but it may point to some difference between our systems that needs further investigation.

First I am surprised at how much difference Q5 makes to SQ in this system. When it first appeared it did not seem to make much difference but now it does!

I started at Q5=2 and clock=0.5 and the sound is lively and dynamic. So I set Q5=10 and clock=1 - wow what a difference the sound suddenly sounded much more analogue and easy to listen to. But for me it was not an improvement the sound was flattened and the problems "brushed over" (I was listening to a very poor Tony Allen recording). Actually I preferred to listen to it dynamic warts and all and not "brushed over".

So I listened to a Stekpanna albums always superb SQ - and at Q5=10 & clock=1 the life and dynamics were squashed. Going back to Q5=2 and clock=0.5 was a big improvement. The dynamics and life were back.

No question at least for me the latter sounds much better.

I also tried using Phase Alignment again and found that it makes no noticeable difference, to these ears anyway. PA used to make a significant difference in this system as did SFS. Now SFS makes very little difference to SQ (but like PA it used to make a significant difference).

Well that's the way I hear it anyway.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:18:18 pm »

Paul hi,

It's very interesting that your experience is so different. If I understand what Peter has done with Q5 (from the tool tips) I think that tuning settings might become much more PC specific to motherboards processors and disk types etc. I'm thinking that different PCs may have carateristic periods for operations like memory access, processor scheduling and so on. If Peters Q5 setting is helping to break these characteristic frequencies up and different PC do have specific periods then could be that we will hear very different things on different PCs.

To explain more about what I'm hearing its actually very like your system, it just sounds so much more real palpable and dynamic, with a much sweeter to end. There real energy in performance with the whole spectrum contributing in a consistent way to the sound.

Might it be that your PC already has a "nice" spread of internal transaction frequencies, so sound is already [extremely  Happy] good ?

It would be interesting if Mani and Brian could try the settings I posted above as they have the same mobo and processor and this might give some indication of whether or not we are getting to the point of more PC specific settings now.

Perhaps Peter might comment on this ?

Of course it may be that these settings just help with my "noise" problem in some way but I don't think it's that.

We should get a chance to try stuff at mine soon, it would be great to get your opinion on this and generally how things are improving (I hope). You should bring some ear plugs though just in case, haha.

Best Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:31:25 pm »

Oh, I read your signature: WD USB 3.0 HDD.

OK!

Stanley

Hi Stanley, all my music hdd are SATA and I use the external boxes to convert SATA to USB 3.0 to connect it to the mb.
Sorry, I have to update my signature.

I post some pictures here and in I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC FOR XXHIGHEND AND ... with the USB 3.0 boxes, the Anti-vibration discs, etc

Best regards,
Juan

* Anti-vibration boxes for music hdds.jpg (97.63 KB, 904x600 - viewed 1321 times.)

* Anti-vibration discs on the amps.jpg (169.03 KB, 904x600 - viewed 1423 times.)

* Anti-vibration discs on NOS1.jpg (121.29 KB, 904x600 - viewed 1441 times.)

* Placement of NOS1 feet.jpg (106.17 KB, 904x600 - viewed 1421 times.)

* Music PC general view.jpg (124.42 KB, 904x600 - viewed 1425 times.)

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:55 am »

Hi Juan,

I like what you did to absorb the vibrations of your external HDDs Happy

I could make a box too to dampen my external cases, but the metallic one - can you tell me a little more about it ?

As for your USB connection to the NOS1, I see what seems to be an adaptor of some kind ?

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:33:11 am »

Hi Alain, first let me thank you for your kind words in a previous post.
The external cases for the HDDs are made here in Spain and I bought it in Amazon.es but I guess you can find something similar in any computer shop. See here the manual in Spanish and English http://www.tooq.es/repository/products_manuals/MANUAL_TQE3508_3517_3523.pdf

Sold in Amazon.es for only 15€ (20 $ Canadian)http://www.amazon.es/TooQ-TQE-3523G-Serial-Windows-Ubuntu/dp/B005E0EJAI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370125301&sr=1-2&keywords=Tooq

I use an adaptor to connect the USB 3.0 cable to the NOS1 because the NOS1 is USB2.0, this USB 3.0 cable is connected to the TeckNet USB 3.0 PCI Express Card.

Best regards,
Juan

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 12:45:10 am »

Thanks Juan, I will check the links and keep you posted. I don't know why I never took care of the dampening before... And I do hear the hard drives not only when they work...

You deserve the kind words Happy

Regards,

Alain

christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 09:52:29 am »

The  NDAS technology by IOCELL with an eSata connection seems to be superior to cases with an USB connection only.

http://www.iocellnetworks.com/neo/images/manuals/manual-netdisksolo.pdf

Joachim
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:08:52 am by PeterSt » Logged
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:32 pm »

The  NDAS technology by IOCELL with an eSata connection seems to be superior to cases with an USB connection only.

http://www.iocellnetworks.com/neo/images/manuals/manual-netdisksolo.pdf

Joachim

Hi Joachim, I tested the eSata connection with a Sharkoon SATA QuickDeck external case and in my experience the eSata port sounds worse than the USB 3.0

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1299

Regards,
Juan

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »

Hi Juan,

Could you be more specific about the worsening of the Esata vs  the USB 3 connection ? Since it is possible for me to switch from one to the other... I would have thought that the fact of converting from USB to Sata inside the external case could induce something not desirable... On the other hand, Sata does not allow the same lenght between components, so it may not be practical for those who prefer to put their drives away from the pc...

Alain
Edit: I was wondering if the fact that there is power in the USB  cable (with the signal) would have a negative effect on the signal ? Sata does not have any power on its cable...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: