XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 27, 2024, 12:36:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 and 09-z9, a match made in heaven?  (Read 62222 times)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »

Hi Juan,

Could you be more specific about the worsening of the Esata vs  the USB 3 connection ? Since it is possible for me to switch from one to the other... I would have thought that the fact of converting from USB to Sata inside the external case could induce something not desirable... On the other hand, Sata does not allow the same lenght between components, so it may not be practical for those who prefer to put their drives away from the pc...

Alain
Edit: I was wondering if the fact that there is power in the USB  cable (with the signal) would have a negative effect on the signal ? Sata does not have any power on its cable...

Hi Alain,

I´ve made that test some time ago and I really don´t remember exactly the details why was worse eSata than USB 3.0. At that time I considered that USB 3.0 sounded better but it was with W7, I have not tested it again with W8 but if you are very interested I could do it. About the length of the cable, yes the eSata are shorter so you need to put the eSata case closer to the PC.

Best regards,
Juan
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:15:46 pm by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »

Thanks Juan,

I will do some tests to check if I hear differences between the 2 connections. I have a Vantec USB 3 x 4 ports hub, but I never really used it on a regular basis.

While I am sure that your tests were correctly conducted, I was wondering about the 2 different interfaces, as Sata does not carry any power within its cable (that could affect the data), and when using USB, it needs to be converted to Sata (maybe "converted" is a too strong word, as I am not sure what it requires).

On the other hand, USB seems "stronger" at the connection level. I had problems with Esata connections, as it is not always obvious to connect on the right side the first time (and I talk from experience, since I "broke" a few cables just by pushing the connection in without ensuring I was on the right side)...

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 03:10:01 pm »

Hey Nick and Paul any chance you guys could update your signatures with what are your latest 9Z9 settings? Also are you still using the Chinese sounf filter card?

Don't mean to be offensive so this is just a suggestion: could folks post 9Z9 SQ impressions in one thread-- maybe the 9Z9 Impressions thread--and post playback tweaks in the appropriate place--not in the SQ thread. This current thread has just gotten too confusing and there are now so many important software changes in 9Z9 that it would be great to reserve the 9z9 impressions thread just for that purpose. Seems to me a newbie would have a very difficult time trying to read about the SQ of and best settings for 9z9.

Yesterday I was playing 9Z9, W7, with PA off, a SFS of 60 and all other settings the same as Peter's and the sound was pretty incredible. Look forward to playing with Q5 settings.

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »

Understood and sorry for the out of thread...

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:32:52 pm »

No problem Alain; I woke up a bit grumpy this morning so that didn't help!

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 09:04:40 pm »

I know the feeling Happy But you are right Happy

Regards,

Alain

juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »

Yesterday I removed the partition where W7 was, convinced as I am that W8 sounds better and also that Peter is not going back to W7 (as he said). So I have now Windows 8 Pro and XXHighEnd 0.9z-9b in one SATA III hdd and nothing else.

All the SQ qualities are not only maintained but improved, especially the sense of palpability of the sound that is now even more remarkable.

Regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »

Yesterday, my wife was out at work and both the kids at nursery so I decided to bite the bullet and get W8 sorted out again on 'Le Monster', the music PC for my main listening room. I had installed W8 on this machine back at the beginning of February but couldn't live with the over-emphasized sound. I kept the HDD untouched but it seems that unplugging it from the SATAIII socket whilst in Minimize OS mode and with the Win7 shell somehow corrupted Win8. In any event, I had to resort to formatting the HDD and a totally new Win8 install. Most of it went pretty smoothly, but I then had major issues with privileges.

I've had W8 installed on the music PC in my office/study since the end of January and have, until recently, simply ignored the over-emphasized sound - OK for background music as I work. It's worked faultlessly and I've never had any privileges issues. There's only one user set up, set to Administrator by default. But with my install on Le Monster, I just couldn't get a single user account to work. After quite a while trying, I resorted to setting up another account, set to Administrator. This required going back and forth between the Win7 shell and Metro, and having to uninstall/reinstall the Win7 shell - I had to do this several times as I'm sure I made loads of mistakes along the way. But eventually everything worked. Phew!

Is Windows 8 and the new version of XXHighEnd (09-z9) the best combination so far between the OS and XXHighEnd?. The answer is, in my opinion YES.

I agree 100%. 0.9z-9b on W8 is a quantum step up in SQ compared to 0.9z-9b on W7. The latter is very, very good - probably the best sound I had achieved before yesterday. (I still have it on another HDD and will go back and take a listen at some point). But the 0.9z-9b/W8 combo is in another league... IMHO.

The main differences in SQ I detected with respect to other combinations of OS/XXHE are:

- Detail. The sound is the most detailed I've heard. I used, as always, a few albums I've listened literally hundreds of times. I have discovered new sounds that were hidden and it was an unbelievable surprise. Never before, in any case, I had heard certain sounds that are now perfectly audible.

Agree 100%. But this is 'real, full spectrum' detail, and not fake HF detail. There are no edges to the sound anymore, etching out and separating instruments. The sound is whole, and yet exquisitely textured.

- Density. The sound is dense and I wish I could explain, dense as I mean is not equal to thick, but a fuller sound with more information, I could define it, for lack of better words, like a more mature sound, more complete.

Agree 100%. This is like the 'whole' that I was talking about above.

- Bass. The bass deserves a special comment. At first it seems too large, even a little fuzzy, but if you get used to it you´ll be hearing a bass that seems to be more faithful to the recording than previously. That is, if the bass is exaggerated it appears so, however in well made recordings the bass appears with an almost perfect intonation and depth. In my opinion, if the bass has the right size and it is correctly reproduced, as it is the case in the 09-z9 version, it becomes an essential factor to give the sound that density to which I referred.

Agree 100%. The bass is just right. Switching PA on seems to destroy the fullness a bit too much.

- Palpability. The combination of the three previous sections gives the sound a palpability even greater than at other times. It seems as if the sound had a physical embodiment, as if it could be touched.

Agree 100%. I've just been listening to a whole bunch of female singers - glad the wife's not here Wink

- Volume. With regard to the volume level I'm not sure if in other versions it is as important as it is now. I think that the richness of the sound is volume level dependent, and I guess that it will happen in each system (including the listening room), in my case with the 09-z9 version the better setting is -33db/-31.5db, that's the equivalent to 30db/-28.5db when PeakExtend was active in the other versions which is the volume that was using before most of the time.

I'm in two minds here. On the one hand the sound is phenomenal even at low volumes. On the other hand, I find myself wanting more.

The combination of all what I have said here makes a sound that IMHO is the best so far. I guess that to the extent that Peter will delve into Windows 8 will appear better XXHE versions, which,  although it seems difficult, we all know from experience that it is possible.

I have no idea where we go from here. Peter has tamed the beast that is W8. Actually, he's gone even further than that. In my office system, I keep the LAN connected in order to use remote desktop (I use my work PC to control the music PC, which is just perfect for me) and to stream files across from a NAS drive in my basement, keeping the office/study free of whining HDDs and totally silent (an absolute must for me). I haven't done a lot of playing around with XX settings, but am certain that Q5 is helping to minimize any negative effects of keeping the LAN on. The sound in my office/study is simply superb (music PC -> NOS1 -> Sanders Magtech amp -> Celestion SL600 speakers... all fed off a balanced AC transformer).

I'd encourage those of you still on W7 to take the plunge. W8 is the way forward... IMHO.

Thanks for everything Peter.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »

Hi Mani, I'm glad that you agree almost entirely with my views.

With respect to the importance of the volume level to get the best sound quality, I have to say that effectively at lower volumes the sound is also fantastic, I just meant that there is a "perfect" volume level (for each listening room) and that given the high quality of sound achieved with the combination of W8 and XXHighEnd that volume level express better the qualities of the sound. Moreover it seems easier to find this "perfect" volume due to the excellent SQ. Some kind of interdependence.

Regards,
Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 11:52:57 am »

On the volume thing ...

A longer time ago (could be three years) I spent a more extensive post on just that what you (I think) try to describe, Juan;

In aftermath I am fairly sure that this (back then) was dedicated to a certain "XXHighEnd setup" because I didn't notice much of it anymore. BUT :

While in the 0.9z-8 versions of XXHighEnd I just wasn't able to have any right volume setting for W8 *plus* it needed the higher volume to get the sound more detached from the speakers (which was a W8 property I'm sure), today ...

Today that feeling from three years or so ago is back. So, when I understand Juan correctly, I have the exact same feeling. And somehow this is even logic to me, although a bit far out :

What I reasoned out those 3 years ago is that the level is to be of some consistency when you want to perceive the real thing. So, not too loud and also not too soft. What I by accident found is that it just needs to be at real levels. This is where I measurued my baby wing here, saw that it produces 90dBSPL (at one meter distance and wing open) and next tuned my stereo on pianos for just that level. This worked (back then).

As said, I never thought of that anymore, nor did I feel the urge to tune in this sort of reality level, but today with W8 this is so again. And no, I didn't start to think about this because Juan said so. I found that myself which should mean ...

Well, that only if just two persons make the notice, there should be some truth in it. Thus, not for W8 best settings in general, but because there could be truth in our brains liking the real thing the best, which includes the level of sounds we hear around us. Next it should perhaps say that W8 as how it is now is "a very best" because it again urges for this setting, hence it allows us to perceive this realism.

A bit of blahblah, but please notice that I try to work a lot with these kind of things, just like the 0.9z-8 versions pushed me wild in getting any volume right, still have the sense it should be higher than I wanted because of the crazy dynamical sound. It just couldn't be done which is a base indication something is wrong, never mind I too could like many things from W8 in 0.9z-8 already.
So it could be a general measure, important to everyone ...

Thank you for your feedback guys. This is the most important.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 12:18:54 pm »

I'd encourage those of you still on W7 to take the plunge. W8 is the way forward... IMHO.

Mani.

Done. Excellent sound as per your & Juans post.

The installation was smooth without any problems, except XXH will not activate with the new code. (OS minimize is rejected by the program and no red letters)

W8 without any updates installed.

SPL volume is at -6dBA via a preamp and there is an exceptional holographic soundstage.

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 12:24:22 pm »

I have no idea where we go from here. Peter has tamed the beast that is W8. Actually, he's gone even further than that. In my office system, I keep the LAN connected in order to use remote desktop (I use my work PC to control the music PC, which is just perfect for me) and to stream files across from a NAS drive in my basement, keeping the office/study free of whining HDDs and totally silent (an absolute must for me). I haven't done a lot of playing around with XX settings, but am certain that Q5 is helping to minimize any negative effects of keeping the LAN on. The sound in my office/study is simply superb (music PC -> NOS1 -> Sanders Magtech amp -> Celestion SL600 speakers... all fed off a balanced AC transformer).

Mani,

Actually for something I want for myself for conveniency reasons, I already made the code that will allow the NAS ot operate under the jurisdiction of "ALL Services Shut Off", next that anticipating the same procedure as you used before : just shutting all off once the tracks have been loaded for Unattended Playback (that only). I made the code, but never tried it so far. It should work though and at least better for SQ then when letting so many things "on" as how you do it now. Whether optimal - maybe not. But as observed, by now fewer things seem to matter anyway.

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:05 am »

On the volume thing ...

What I reasoned out those 3 years ago is that the level is to be of some consistency when you want to perceive the real thing. So, not too loud and also not too soft. What I by accident found is that it just needs to be at real levels...

...As said, I never thought of that anymore, nor did I feel the urge to tune in this sort of reality level, but today with W8 this is so again. And no, I didn't start to think about this because Juan said so. I found that myself which should mean ...

Well, that only if just two persons make the notice, there should be some truth in it. Thus, not for W8 best settings in general, but because there could be truth in our brains liking the real thing the best, which includes the level of sounds we hear around us.(highlighting is mine:Juan). Next it should perhaps say that W8 as how it is now is "a very best" because it again urges for this setting, hence it allows us to perceive this realism.

Peter

Very interesting Peter, I think you've managed to summarize in a few sentences what could be a psycho-acoustic treatise  Happy

Strongly agree.

Best regards,
Juan

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:42 am »

Hi Mani,

Interesting to note yours and others experiences with W8. I have been busy building a system for my brother (I will post about this separately) and have not yet had time to go back to W8 - but I will later this week.

I was wondering though - are you using the PCi "capacitor card" or not?

I had an interesting experience the other night when I removed the card and the sound changed - possibly for the better but I have not had time to properly evaluate it. When I was using z8 it was clear cut the PCi card sounded better now on z9b it is not so clear. Also with the new balanced amp there are other changes so just now I have lost my SQ bearings!!!!

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 09:19:38 am »

Paul ...

OffTopic

If you like answers to this, please put it in its own topic.
Thank you !
Peter

PS: I feel I am on the edge with this (or your question is - maybe just towards the good side), but I guess my point is that this is not related to XXHighEnd "SQ" and you know my bias towards this not working at all for any decent tweak.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: