XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 01:34:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Water cooled/W8 Power Options/Start Up Issue  (Read 5534 times)
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:23:05 pm »

About ten days ago I noticed that pressing any two keyboard keys at the same time caused my computer to start up from an "off" state. Ever since, I've been manually turning off the PC power supply when I shut down. This is to prevent the scenario of someone inadvertently turning the computer on by picking up the keyboard while the water pump is off in my PC cooling tower. Though the BIOS software that I have would probably shut the system down if it started to overheat, I just don't want to have to find that out!

Anyway, today I shut off "Turn On Fast Startup (Recommended)" in the shutdown settings. No longer will my keyboard operate as a switch to turn the computer on. (SQ seems a bit better too.) You can find the option in Control Panel/Power Options/Choose Power Button options. Once you are there you probably have to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" near the top of the page.

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:27 pm »

HI Boleary,

I wonder if there is a way (through BIOS) to deactivate the keyboard behavior ? This looks like something is monitoring peripherals - much like "Wake from network" or such...

I also wonder if there is something that can trigger the water pump automatically at startup ? Like the 12 volt trigger that we see on some components...

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:11:38 pm »

Thanks Alain. I was going to go into the BIOS if I couldn't find a solution in Control Panel. As for the water pump, its completely external to the pc and is not plugged into the audio mains circuit.
Also I totally lack the knowledge/skill to figure out how to create such an automatic switch.

What's weird is that I never noticed before that the PC could be turned on via the keyboard. It seems like some setting got unknowingly changed to allow for it cause I think I would have noticed it sooner. Anyone else able to boot up W8 by pressing two keyboard keys?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:09:17 pm »

Hi Boleary,

We are in the same boat Happy The BIOS can really be a "capharnaum" to understand... When I read your first post, I was wondering if this was about standby or hibernation mode ?

One thing that could belp is to add a little powerbar with a ON/OFF switch on it. I would connect only the PC and the pump. So if you shut them through that powerbar switch, at least you have the certainty that when one starts, the other starts too... Not the perfect solution since this means you have not to forget about this switch each time...

Regards,

Alain
PS: I did that in some situations. I was keeping that powerbar at sight level to remind me Happy
EDIT: I forgot to answer about the keyboard... While I knew that there were possibilities to "wake up" a PC through network or a modem, I guess that since then new devices can also wake the computer... Maybe USB (or PS2) ?
EDIT 2: The BIOS would be the way to adjust this, since Windows has to be woken up too... Just a guess Happy

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: