XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 04:03:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning audio CD while XX playing  (Read 49247 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 11:30:07 am »

I think I did not make clear enough what my "problem" is ...

Disclaimer : all is my very own interpratation of things, based on experience and knowledge where possible.
What mr. Katz says I all agee with, BUT, what he leaves out (explicitly or implicitly) is just what it is about here.

In fact it's IMHO the same with you (Andrey and Edward) above, and it makes explanations (if any) too simple, or fail;
In my earlier long post, I tried to explain the difference between errorneous reading, and normal time jitter. You don't go into that (oh, not that you really should have, but it is important for what is happening IMO).

I say : at the DAC level samples are missed out completely. Look at the picture below; from left to right is the time domain, and the height represents the voltage level (= volume). Now, one sideways step as you can recognize in the picture, represent one sample. Mind you, this comprises of two bytes per channel (for 16 bit audio).
One sample (just made up) for two respective channels may look like :
00010101 11001000  (left)
00100011 01011100  (right)
(big endian notation, which is not even true, but never mind)

Look at the picture again. The topmost part (left channel) presents a value-change at 36.4 (never mind the meaning of that number) and a next step presents 37.6.
Now, time jitter in the DAC might just point at the 37.6 sample, while actually 36.4 should be pointed at. See this as an arrow poining from above donwards pointing at the samples, the time running by at crazy speed, and the pointer should just stop once per 0.00002 seconds (44K1 sample rate) and pick the sample, while the pointer pointing is directed by a clock (in the DAC), and the samples running by is directed by another clock (!) (in the PC).

Sidenote : the thing about the clocks is a tad more complex, because in either case it would be the DAC impeeding for the samples arriving (and the PC just causing the samples to be ready in a buffer, this already working differently for SPDIF and USB).

This explanation of time jitter as how I (!) see it, as happening in the DAC, is different from errorneous reading :

Below is the sample of the left channel again, but now underneath is what was read (at either place where reading can go wrong) :

00010101 11001000  (left original)
01010101 11001000  (left read)

The above is what everybody is talking about (you both, mr. Katz), and (big endian read and unacording plus or minus voltage) this an error of 32768 upon the original data in the 8192 range. Note that this implies a voltage spike of 4 times (12 dB) the original level, and which happens at one sample.
Do note : this is perceived as inaudible (because it lasts too short), but is dead wrong anyway.

In the DAC, these kind of errors can happen only because of a poor TTL levels (TTL : the standard voltage for 0 and 1). Thus, when a rised voltage is below the offical minimum level, the 1 can be read as 0.
Poor TTL levels can be caused by cabling and many more things (PSU, etc.).

Again different would be "time jitter" in reading out a (double) byte;
Note that it is this what you talk about with the CDR as point of view, but of which I personally do not believe it will happen in other hardware.
Thus, think of the time-pointer again as explained above, and now you imply that the individual bits are read wrongly.
NOTE : with the poor TTL levels it still can, but that aside ... no. BUT ... on the other hand, it would still be subjective to time jitter, because TTL voltage ups and lows have a rise and fall time, and it would still depend on where the "pointer" drops in (looks).

To put the above in another perspective, also look at this :
No matter what I do to influence the DAC (because that's what XX does in each of their sound engines), when the data is read back from the digital out of the soundcard (or even DAC when possible), it would read back the original data. Do note that at least *I* test this with real reading back, and not with stupid tests like DTS signals at te receiver (which would not even prove anything in Vista (!)) or do or not being able to influence digital volume level.
What does this tell ?
It tells that everything up to the input of the DAC was ok for TTL levels, so *IF* the DAC would read errorneously, then suddenly there all wouldn't cope ??
No ... (of course it could, but I just don't believe that).
Also note that if TTL levels (or better, the resulting voltage ups and lows) were not okay, there would be no way of error checking that (I think). And if it were, the DAC could cope with it just the same ... (per implementation).

As a sidestep, we now go to the CD(R);
Your (and everybody's) story about the pits and lands and the *there* impeeded time jitter ... true IMO. But mind you, this is at the bit level ! (compareable to the TTL level thing from above). So, when jitter is induced from reading the CD, we'd get

00010101 11001000  (left original)
01010101 11001000  (left read)

this again. And this would just be truely happening.
Now remember, when I state (haha) that it is not this what is happening inside the DAC, and instead there complete samples are missed (and repeated), this has a very different outcome soundwise. The errors would be outrageously more less.
Look at the picture again; When the pointer would read the 36.4 again instead of the 37.6, this is an actual difference (error) of decimal 1.2, which is quite different from 32768 ...
Note that it is nature which causes the difference to be so small, because nature dynamics can't be that large.

It is not for nothing that I always express "a zillion things are wrong at audio playback", because to me it is obvious that the misread of 32768 is just happening in a normal CDP. The better the box the less it will be, but still.
Also, I know how sound is perceived to stay the same, when I inject wrong samples on purpose. You just won't hear it. Or ...
... In the end, obviously yes, and it is this what it all is about.
If you hear the upcoming 0.9s-0 you might wonder : were 80% of before samples read wrongly, or is it now for 80% wrong ? So huge is the difference ...
Never mind bits (!) are read wrong from the CD all over the place. At the other end things are 10 times worse ... (mind you, that's my perception, and by each improvement of XX this is just proved true).

So where do we stand according to the subject of mapping the jitter (?) as produced by XXHighEnd onto a burned CDR ?
I don't know. Happy

The most logical base for it to happen must be the PSU indeed. But, if that were true, there's so much more to make consistent;
When XX asks PSU power via the processor asking for it, and that tiny levels would influence the laser capacity ... beyond my comprehension.
When XX asks PSU power via the processor asking for it, and that influencing rise and fall times of TTL levels ... yes. The smallest difference would be enough to make a difference. How this is consistent with reading back the data bit perfectly ... probably my error in thinking that this proves something.

How a 1:1 map can emerge from supposedly jitter signatures, XX playing at 100% speed, the burning process burning at, say, 1200 % speed ... could be, but then by "resonance" only.

The only real explanation might be that so many things are going wrong, that the going wrong at XX playback is so persistant, that it infuences all. But mind you, this then must be about something we don't know yet (by far).
I'd like to think in the area of of synchroneous processes which are time constraint at the same time, thus leaving things out. This can't be it, because then the data on the various burned versions should be different.

This is crazy ...

* jitter01.png (15.72 KB, 1276x810 - viewed 1041 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2007, 11:49:49 am »

Btw, before someone else comes up with it :

IIRC, on a (red book) CD the bits are not organized in a normal fashion, but merely like this :

00010101 11001000 (original data)
00000011 11100010 (as on the CD)

and the (smart) organization is such that as few as possible transients from 0 to 1 and back have to be met.
I recall that it even might be so that towards the most significant bits this is stronger, so if errors are read, they are read in the, say, 64 area (instead of the 32768 area from the earlier example).

All is fed by large tables (by convention) as how which original value should be transferred to the value for the CD (and back).

Edit : I think it was this one : http://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/scen103/efm.html
... but maybe this is an idea only (I don't feel like working this out right now).

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Carlos
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 02:52:52 pm »

Hi, I am Carlos Rodríguez, this is my first post on this forum (sorry for my bad english).

I believe what Andrey says and agree as well with Edward as the theory always differs from practice.

I have been burning a CD without and with Foobar + modified ASIO playing (what XX vesion do you recommend me to do the test? with WAV or FLAC?) and I´d say that even this burning process influences the sound as well... as Peter said, interactions. It makes sound a bit more balanced though (I think more in the begining of the burning) with more of that "microdistortion", but burning a CD every time I want to listen more balanced music is not a solution.

I used for the test PlexTools cause it is wider and far more transparent than Nero 6.6 in my old Plextor 1x burner and in my recent Plextor 4x burner (the one I use now, I prefer 1x but the new burner has less distortion). Though I have not tried Roxio, any recommended version Andrey?

After listening 2 tracks on both CDs, it seems the one with Foobar is more detailed, wider, less plastic and have more soundstage. But it is only a first listening. I will play the full CDs to get more perspective. For sure the begining of the CD has always longer-length jitter than the end, so I will have that into account (I guess we all can notice the difference in jitter between the begining and the end of the CD).

I always get surprised. Recently I upgraded emule (which runs in the background "almost" always) and noticed an improvement in distortion and bandwidth (on the interface as well!, I mean smoother mouse movements and clicks). Jitter is amazing, but well, I dream listening music without audible jitter some day...

PS: I never compared two different pressed CDs, but it would be a beautiful test.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:19 pm »

Hi Carlos ! very nice to see you here !!

(I guess we all can notice the difference in jitter between the begining and the end of the CD).

Hahahaha, not me. Uhhm ... so far.
And I just thought I got rid of such beginning vs. end distortions since I stopped with vinyl ...  Happy
Oh my ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Carlos
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 04:39:26 pm »

Hi Peter, very nice project.

Well I think begining vs. end differences are far more subtle than the typical jitter, and IIRC I noticed it for the first time this year.

Ahh, I´m stupid... forget the FLAC/WAV question.

I will do the test with XX 0.9r.
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 05:57:45 pm »

Hi Carlos,

It is nice to hear from you.

I used Roxio just because it was the only program I had on the PC at that time. Happy
I wanted to show that this effect we are talking about here doesn't depend on the software or CD writer we use too much.
And I agree that any background activity influences the SQ of the CDR being recorded.
Also I said in the first post, that you can take your favorite version of XX and play it while burning CDR, and you will have CDR with the SQ signature of your XX version.

IMHO XX r I like best for now (in XP) and it is the most easily to tell it on the CDR.
And I could tell XXpd version from no XX running, though it was not so obvious for me.

Please note that all tests I did on XP. could not find how to burn CDRs on Vista (was too lazy to google Happy)

1. USB FreeAgent 500Gb -> P4 2.8 2gb RAM Vista Ult  -> XXHE Q1=14 prio both = Normal -> esi juli@ (SPDIF is default device->analog mon in ESI panel->analog outs) -> nad 320BEE->Boston Acoustics cr150
3. IBM thinkpad r52->VIsta Ult XXHE, Unattended playerprio=Nothing threadPrio=Normal -> very cheap usb audio adapter -> shure attenuator -> headphones shure 210 Happy
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 06:21:25 pm »

Hi Peter,

Sorry I always have trouble reading your posts. they always confuse me. My bad English probably. unhappy

So you saying that we get the wrong samples because time jitter is so big that it even points to the wrong sample.
No I don't think so.
And the bit stream is not changed and arrives at DAC the same from CDR.

The samples are points interpolating the analog wave. In theory these points should be at exactly the same distance fro each other to reproduce the right wave. If the distance has jitter, points moved a tiny bit to the side, we will get slightly different wave, but enough to be audible.

All those errors with missing samples are very very seldom, the data are the same and not corrupted. it all about when the samples appear on the time line. And this time jitter cannot lead to reading the next sample instead of current. Jitter is to small for this.

1. USB FreeAgent 500Gb -> P4 2.8 2gb RAM Vista Ult  -> XXHE Q1=14 prio both = Normal -> esi juli@ (SPDIF is default device->analog mon in ESI panel->analog outs) -> nad 320BEE->Boston Acoustics cr150
3. IBM thinkpad r52->VIsta Ult XXHE, Unattended playerprio=Nothing threadPrio=Normal -> very cheap usb audio adapter -> shure attenuator -> headphones shure 210 Happy
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 06:34:10 pm »

Now, time jitter in the DAC might just point at the 37.6 sample, while actually 36.4 should be pointed at. See this as an arrow poining from above donwards pointing at the samples, the time running by at crazy speed, and the pointer should just stop once per 0.00002 seconds (44K1 sample rate) and pick the sample, while the pointer pointing is directed by a clock (in the DAC), and the samples running by is directed by another clock (!) (in the PC).

0.00002 seconds does not compare to the jitter values.

the jitter is in 10 to 500 picoseconds not milliseconds, refer to stereophile for measurments examples..

And also DAC clock is tied to the incoming form PC clock by means of PLL, in case of nos DAC.
And they cannot stray too far from each other by design. especially to read the next sample.

andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 06:39:28 pm »

all the errorneaous reading as you say it and I understand it,
Is corrected by the means of the error correction mechanism in CDROM or in the SPDIF or USB interface.
Even if by wrong levels some of the 0 become 1s the algorithm has enough extra data to correct it. RedBook has two level of error correction.

inside the DAC this misinterpreatation is impossible. or again error corrected.
So the misinterpretations of 1 and 0 are not of the importance anymore. The data is not changed.

As I said before it is about samples apearing on the time line at a slightly different moment. Not enough to shift the sample to the next position a lot less than that, but enough to recreate (from interpolation) a slightly different waveform to be audible.

In the case of badly recorded CDR the data is still the same right?
But in this case the error correction processes come into play. Say they affect PSU power cleanness in away.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 09:08:02 am »

It will be my english Andrey, sorry !

I agree with all you say, and of course the jitter we measure at the DAC is too small to incur for the jitter I implied (and I think I put a "(?)" behind that somewhere). Also, there is more too it than an already too large post can describe, e.g. my presentation of a "computer clock" which in fact is totally unrelated (so that was for visualization). And btw, also note that somewhere else (at AA I think) I pointed out that the jitter we generally talk about is to be measured at the analogue side ... (just your story). Happy

IMO it is too complex to just write ahead (and brainstorm), because remember the subject : XX playing and influencing the pits on the burned CD. So I am (or was) just trying to find reasons for that, which all didn't hold. Note that the normal jitter (occurring at the analogue side) could NO WAY influence your burning process, unless it's the soundwaves in air doing it. Hahahaha.

Maybe we should stick to that ... it can be tested easily (by guys like you).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Carlos
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 11:41:52 am »

Well, after being tested the 3 CDs I conclude:
- The CD recorded with XXHE playing sounded a bit emphazised in the mid-bass and mid-highs.
- The CD recorded with my Foobar running (consumes 20% CPU) sounded clearly different from the other two, a lot more transparent, but less balanced and with more "holes".

I prefer the CD recorded with no software playing in the background, it is cleaner and more balanced.

PlexTools reported that all the 3 CDs were recorded successfully. After the listening I ripped the 3 CDs to the harddisk again and WaveLab 4 reported that they were exactly equal.

It seems that something related to CPU time consumption has to do with how the CD is recorded. Being the differences so big when using the CPU at 20% I´d say that the key is the power quality to the burner, cause the burner buffer is too long to be influenced by the CPU quantum.

Important:
Some time ago I discovered that every windows CD player (old fashion Win95) sounded different as well. I used the SPDIF-out connector from the drive.

I believe that process is independent of the software used (the CD drive works even when you close the CD player software). So this leaves the power as the only connection between them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: