XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 01:08:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Loudspeaker Shock Discovery  (Read 13722 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:30 am »

I recently put together a budget hifi system for my brother based around XX (of course) a NOS DAC (not NOS1 as funds would not allow) and my old Gainclone amps (pre my current bridged GC amp). I will post separately about his new budget system soon but the SQ from that cheap system turned out to be outrageously good and far exceeds what I expected from it.

Anyway this post is about the loudspeakers. I knew the front end deserved good speakers but I was at a total loss as to what speakers to get as funds would only stretch to around £400. Don't laugh but yes that was the budget for the speakers.

In the end I settled on a pair of S2tlm RT1.3WE Ribbon transmission line speakers from IPL Acoustics. There were some good reviews and whilst they needed some hard work on my part to build them at least fitted the budget. I was not expecting particularly great things but thought they may be OK and the best compromise for a budget system.

So after building them the time came to try them out. I fired them up in my system (taking care to move speakers out of the room) and sat down to listen hoping they would sound at least "OK". I sat there open mouthed I could not believe what I was hearing. These were very fine speakers indeed and then after about 20 hours burn they really started to perform.

And here is the shock they actually sounded better than my own speakers. How could that be? I was not tempted to bring my own speakers back into the room. The sound from the IPL's is more neutral, more detailed top end better controlled bass. And the S2's are no where big enough for my huge room.

My friend David (who has very expensive highly regarded transmission line speakers with Musical Fidelity front end) came for a listen and was astounded with what he heard. So much so I agreed to build him a pair of IPL S4 speakers which he now has replaced his old speakers with. I have to tell you that the S4's absolutely trounce Davids other speakers in just about every area. This is what David emailed to me yesterday:

"The speakers now are quite literally light years ahead of what we heard from --- speakers, I have never, anywhere, at any price, heard sound of this quality, now they are just sending little shivers with each new disc. just listened to Tom Waits, voice was just so amazing, listened to Floyd and scale of image just blew me away, I am now addicted to a Weather Report again because the huge scale of sound, musically and sheer rhythmic coherence- just makes it an absolute blast. I am holding back on the ultimate of Massive Attack."

And I agree with David these speakers are truly outstanding I ran them in my system for a week and they produced easily the best sounds I have heard from any system.

The most impressive characteristics of the SQ of these fine speakers is they are so neutral - I have never heard any box speaker that is so clean and neutral sounding.

I have now had a number of discussions with Ivan of IPL and I am very very impressed with his engineering and technical approach. I really think that Ivan is to speaker design what Peter is to PC/DAC front ends.

So now I am building the top of the range IPL S5's and cannot wait to get them finished.

Pictures attached of the S2's and S4's

* S2.png (236.82 KB, 841x768 - viewed 2406 times.)

* S4.png (205.53 KB, 1024x546 - viewed 2200 times.)

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »

An absolutely great find Paul. I know that you have been putting in a lot of hard work building THREE sets of transmission line speakers. The finish of each set looks superb in your photos.

I cannot wait to hear your S5TLs when they are finished. Depending on what I hear I think I will be doing dome wood work as well  Happy . My wife will not let me sell the Duos I have (no way...) so I might well end up with two sets of speakers at this rate.

Once again it appears that you don’t have to spend a lot to get first rate sounds. A real credit to Ivan and IPL.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »

Nick - how about mounting a horn on top of the S5's the horn does not actually have to do anything but look nice that way you are happy and much more important Claire is happy.

True marital bliss.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:47 pm »

Nick - how about mounting a horn on top of the S5's the horn does not actually have to do anything but look nice that way you are happy and much more important Claire is happy.

True marital bliss.

Paul

haha, very good idea  Happy

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:19:52 pm »

Hi Paul,

Have you finished the IPL S5's?, what´s the IPL S5's model you have built, the S5tl Kevlar Ribbon or the S5tl Waveguide? and how you compare it to the other models (S2tlP and S4TL)?

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_acoustics_____transmission_l.htm

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: