XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 09:58:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q5 observations (Windows 8)  (Read 15173 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:53:05 pm »

All,

I think that by now I have sufficient experience with the new Q5 parameter to be able to tell what sounds how, and what should and should not be. Below pictures were not made up on the spot, but always floated in my mind during listening.

First my flavour : This is the first picture you see below. It is "Cotton".

Notice the properties of cotton, amongst which is a kind of roughness (say microscopic small hooks in the fibres) and they virtually filter the sound for its highest dynamic transients which do not sound digital per se, but which make the sound too hard. With the cotton sound the transients receive an underlaying sort of fundamental, which creates the necessary envelope of the transient and which makes it go smooth, while the transient sure is still there. No diminishing of detail.

Then there is silk, seen in the second picture below;
Silk is regarded one of the most soft materials, and silky-smooth really can be applicable to our music.
This is not really what I want because too much detail is lost. The slik as you see it in the picture is a dampening material. It will let through air, but not too much, esepecialy not when the air is pressured through it (things will merely burst first).

At the other opposite of the spectrum we have steel wool, and you see it in the last picture;
It lets through all air, will hardly filter anything, and because the metarial *is* steel, the sound will receive a steel flavour because of this type of filter.
This is what we can like, but it won't be applicable to all types of music. It is too hard and direct, and although containing all the detail there is, it can easily be fatigueing.

Steel Wool is achieved with a Clock Resolution of 0.5 and a Q5 of 3.

Cotton is achieved with a Clock Resolution of 0.5 and a Q5 of 5.

Silk can be achieved with a Clock Resolution of 0.5 and a Q5 of 3 just the same as Steel Wool can come from this setting, but it depends on the time of day, the moon, the washing machines and the mood of the PC or OS. Q5=3 does not show consistent behavior.

Aha.

So, besides I apparently like Cotton for a filter, after more than 3 weeks it is my finding that the sound stays consistent. And were we not seeking for that !
It can be a coincidence, but I never have been so long as satisfied each day without scratching the back of my head wondering what *now* happened because of sh*t sound; it just never happens with Q5=5 (Clockres aleays 0.5).

Two days ago I decided to have a more snappy sound somewhere, tried Q5=3 again, and right away could observe that this is not it (anymore). It is too transient and audibly too close to going wrong.
After that I tried Q5=4 and noticed a kind of special sound from it which I could not describe well. It had something, but also added something of which I thought it would be fake. Not sure. But the next day I started out with Q5=4 and within the track I swiched back to Q5=5 because I did not like it.

Because of this experience, I think that Q5 should be 5;
I think I heard others talk about this and that the 5 setting made things more dull, but while far down there will be truth in that, it has to be the other way around, and Q5=3 is too close to limits, and when your wife decides to wash your sweatshirt, it is over the limit.

I think that the least people should do is try Q5=5, and then those people who are suffering the change of SQ each other day.

Good luck,
Peter

* Cotton01.bmp (148.01 KB, 285x177 - viewed 998 times.)

* Silk01.bmp (148.03 KB, 275x183 - viewed 973 times.)

* Staalwol01.jpg (14.45 KB, 283x170 - viewed 902 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:38 pm »

Peter,

Ok... But can you also mention the extremes ? Like "0" and (I don't recall the maximum, I never tried) ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:38:19 pm »

Alain,

This took me weeks. So no I can't. And I guess as long as I am satisfied I won't either.

But now you mention it, "0" will just shut off the feature. "1" is special because it hogs so much everything that it will hog itself.
Maximum is 30 but that value will render the lot as "doesn't do a thing".

Anyway I hope that others jump in with their own ideas about this. My posting was actually only to show that the inconsistent SQ behavior can go out of the way.

Best regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »

Its cotton wool for me but no time at the moment to "play" with setting so I will take your word for it until I get time to play with it further.

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:51 am »

Having listened to the "Cotton Wool" settings for a couple of hours now I do like the sound which is noticeably smoother and relaxed.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
phantomax
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:48:34 pm »

Hi, Peter
for me Q5=5 from now too.
I love analogies, they are a fantastic way to explain and to understand concepts. And yours were very nice. So "cotton wool"

Happy summer to everybody. holiday

Maxi

Audio PC -> AsRock Z79 intel i-3 4170  @~800MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, DIY Linear Power Supply. music on LAN /
Engine#4 Special Mode/Q1/-/3/4/5=*30*/-/*1*/*1*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *5* / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /ClockRes = *15ms* /Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect /
SFS = *0,69*  (max 0,69 / Phase Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 1-3 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback
Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best / Time Stability = not stable / *Custom Filtering low for 176400* / Always Clear Proxy before Playbck = On -> Modified Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 internal soundcard with analog tube buffer (Broskie cathode follower) -> Passive biamplification: Canary Audio CA-301 MkII for highs- mids and Counterpoint SA-100 for lows -> Audiovector M-3 Super / modified Musical Fidelity X-3 (6h6p tubes) -> Grado 1000 headphones.
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 01:45:55 pm »

Yes, Q5=5 seems smoother than Q5=3 but just a few observations:

- The bass, mostly the upper bass, seems to have less definition than with Q5=3

- The voices are a little backward with respect to Q5=3

- The soundstage is wider, I´d say super wide, in a way that sometimes reminds me of when it is out of phase

As a general observation there is a slightly different placement of sounds, and I wonder if that is what produce the sense of smoothness.

Best regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »

I´ve changed some connections and the differences between Q5=5 and Q5=3 are minor although perceptible. Yes, Q5=5 is smother and the soundstage seems bigger but the sounds are correctly located now, the bass is similarly defined. Great sound with Q5=5.

Best regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:44:35 pm »

Hi Juan,

I´ve changed some connections

Assuming there is real merit in this, what were your changes ?

Thanks,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »

Hi Juan,

I´ve changed some connections

Assuming there is real merit in this, what were your changes ?

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter, I expected the question, with this hot weather we have here I just want to lie down and drink iced tea ... hahaha
Okay,
I use a power conditioner but I used to have just plugged in the external hard drives and not the Music PC. This conditioner has two large transformers (among other things) these two transformers are independent from each other so I can connect two devices in an isolated way (almost). Now I connected the computer to one of the outlets of the power conditioner and the hard drives to another (in fact there are one pair of outlets per transformer). I use only two external drives at the same time (no internal disks), one SSD with OS/XXHE eSata connected, and one hard drive with music connected with USB 3.0. On the other hand I use ramdisk configured in a special way (thanks to the genius of Alain) with two virtual disks A and B, one with XXHE/XXData and another as Playback Drive. Now, once the Playback Drive is charged with the music just a few seconds after I hit play, I disconnect the hard drive with Music, and also physically turn off the screen, disconnect the keyboard and mouse and only keep connected the eSata SSD. This way the Music PC has only connected the SSD eSata and the NOS1, remember that XXHE/XXData are also in the ramdisk which probably contributes to a better sound. Now the sound is clean and very musical and the differences, although perceptible, between Q5=5 and Q5=3 are less notorious.

By the way, I'm building, well not me but a technician friend of mine, a linear power supply for external drives, it sure will help to improve the sound, with the configuration I explained I´d only need one of those power supplies for the SSD. I´ll let you know when I get it ready and see if the sound is even better than now.

Best regards,
Juan
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:54:13 am by juanpmar » Logged

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 04:35:05 pm »

Ah Juan, great thanks for that explanation, and that subjective to the heat we suffer from here as well. heat

But funny ... Virtually I use the same approach as yours. The only difference is that I have this "official" through XXHighEnd;
What's left in my case is one SPINNING disk only, which sounds better than no disk at all (don't ask me why because I don't know yet). I will explain more about the setup later, when the new XXHighEnd version is due.

Best regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »

Ah Juan, great thanks for that explanation, and that subjective to the heat we suffer from here as well. heat

But funny ... Virtually I use the same approach as yours. The only difference is that I have this "official" through XXHighEnd;
What's left in my case is one SPINNING disk only, which sounds better than no disk at all (don't ask me why because I don't know yet). I will explain more about the setup later, when the new XXHighEnd version is due.

Best regards,
Peter

The Velociraptor with another OS/XXHE is still inside the case but disconnected, now I´m experimenting with the eSata SSD, the advantage could be that the SSD don´t take the power fom the computer power supply, so less work for the ps. But as I say, the Velociraptor is still there waiting for another test in some more time. And another different test will be also with the Velociraptor outside the case in place of the SSD.

Best regards,
Juan

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: