XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 07:44:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build a silent PC for XXHighEnd  (Read 27895 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »

Hi Anthony,

Don't forget to measure the usage in Normal OS; That will make a lot of difference ...

Peter

PS: More responses later.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »

In my pre NOS1/XXHE days I played with a linear psu and it did make a difference on the PC.  Is it your position that it could make a difference?  Or is it your position that if it does make a difference that something else is wrong?

Anthony,

Certainly not the latter (in my view).
I have been asked about the LPSU before and my answer was (and is) : I don't know. It is too complicated and too much is involved;

When selecting the SMPS psu for my XXHE PC I followed your recommendation for the BeQuiet L7 530w because you had measured it somehow and determined that it does not spew too much hash back into the mains (I read that on this forum somewhere).  If we have a SMPS that works like that, where do you think the gains of linear supplies for a PC may lie?

Or is that a can of worms you would prefer not to open?

All we can do (indeed) is looking at it spitting back into the mains and next think how that by itself will influence the other devices. It may, it may not and that depends on those devices. Prevent the spitting back into the mains *is* something to better avoid of course. But whether really necessary ?

The can of worms emerges merely in the area Coen talked about. So, the PC will contain spades of voltage regulators and they all will be the most noisy. Now however, it is a matter of how dangerous that will be, thus now looking at the "output" of a PC, like USB is such an output (towards our further gear I mean).
Next thing though is that it is obvious to me that whatever noise is coming through there, it will be overwhelmed with what the DAC side creates for the very same connection/interface to operate. Thus, as long as that is in order, why to work on the better noise-free PC ? (but now in the voltage regulation department). And again next, when that is arranged for to some degree (like the NOS1 does this fairly well), NOW again the PC noise is in order. Sadly, and through my eyes, this should be so much less noise that at least I can not measure it. Well, not in-band, and it is not about in-band at all because in the end this is about jitter influence.

And then to think we can already influence sound by PC-processor (etc.) influence ? This should be way under the level of noise the regulators produce.

All remains relative, because when a NOS1's output noise of 8uV goes down to 0.5uV (theoretically possible) we might start to see PC noise (explicitly influenced or not) at the outputs. May, because that 0.5uV will be about rejection largely, and this all may happen only after the interface, that interface thus still implying jitter because of its noise there.

All in other words : All is one big pile of influencing matters, and it can be expected that when one is solved the other emerges because it becomes profound and which might not even be for the better (different jitter spectrum).

And in the mean time the by far most of us struggle with analogue noise at the output side which now from that angle kills the sound.

We could also say that we all go a bit far with this all. It is, however, fairly important to see through what we should work on FIRST. I personally don't think this is any LPSU for a PC. Some general rules to avoid that analogue noise would be far better to work on (first). Sadly, I do not see how these rules are or should be. Make it inaudible by whatever means (all trial and error) at least allows us to have a workable target. But it is only the first step.
Working on "complete systems" which at least inherently won't show any of this noise is one means (like actually Bert and me propose this today) but this is a bit of a rough way.

Can talk on, but it's all of not much use unless someone likes to know my general opinion. So, FWIW ...

Peter

PS: I for sure will try out a LPSU for the PC once I could obtain one for a "try out" little price. We could even produce it for you all, once that price could remain that "litte price". So don't be surprised when sooner or later such a thing emerges, and I think I have been talking about this before (but that project failed somewhat).

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »

Hey Nick

My mobo is a P9X79WS Asus

I thought you had ASRock now?

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31:54 pm »

Hey Nick

My mobo is a P9X79WS Asus

I thought you had ASRock now?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Your right, the post a page back in this thread was shortly before I changed the board.

Cheers,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 02:13:38 am »

Thanks for your input Peter.  Yes, it is hard to know if modding computer power is a valid path now or at another stage.  I know it works in other systems and have seen a reasonably cheap and easy solution feeding three rails (12v, 5v, 3.3v) into the motherboard for a solid improvement in sound quality, but the question becomes whether it is all worthwhile. 

I think that I will play around with it a little.  How I plan to approach it is to get a good quality linear lab supply with 3 rails and poke power into different things and see what happens.  I have a feeling that directly feeding the ram will have a good impact (because I use a RAMdisk) but that requires some de-soldering on the mobo so I will leave that one alone for a while at least. 

If I can find a reasonable improvement using the lab supply then I will build or have built a higher quality supply for the computer.

I plugged my XXHE PC back into the UPS and re-ran my power draw numbers:

Power On                (minimised o/s) 88w  (normal o/s) 88w
Idle with XXHE open (minimised o/s) 58w (normal o/s) 78w
Playing Music           (minimised o/s) 49w (normal o/s) 58w
Shutting Down         (minimised o/s) 68w (normal o/s) 98w

Note that my UPS only updates the display about once a second so there may be peaks that I missed.  To try to counteract this I repeated each process several times.

Anthony

PS:  I think that this is a particularly good exercise for XXHE/NOS1 users because I think we mostly use the same mobo.  If there is someone else that wants to duplicate these experiments and possibly give some corroboration please put your hand up.

PSS:  Peter, should I start a new thread about developing an XXHE PC linear supply?

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 08:19:26 am »

Hey Anthony, great thanks for your efforts there. So yes, quite a difference between Minimized and Normal OS eh ? And of course any PC will be in Normal OS at some stage(s) so this must be taken into account.

Peter, should I start a new thread about developing an XXHE PC linear supply?

Could be interesting, yes. And I think you won't be the only one working on that. Maybe it takes a somewhat longer time before all really emerges, but it seems to be a trend anyway.

Thanks ...
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: