XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 11:01:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Batch file to use with Imdisk (ramdrive)  (Read 35226 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:40:28 pm »

Hi,

This is the batch file I have written to allow 2 ramdrives. As Peter mentionned, my scope was quite too narrow and it could bring inconveniences as it could bring benefits.

This is assuming that one has installed Imdisk prior to anything that will follow...

I will do 3 things:
- Post the batch file as an attachment
- Print it in the next post with some precisions. It will be possible to "copy" and "paste" it as desired.
- Post my recommendations, adjusted to Peter's warnings (I hope).

First the attachment...

As you will see when unzipped, it does not carry the right extension. You need to remove the "NEW" from the ".batNEW" to have it workable. I did that to allow me to send it through email, since it was blocked...

Alain
(Date format is yyyy/mm/dd)
2013/09/02: The following has been changed in the batch file:
- Replaced "512m" (512MB) to "3g" (3GB) for XXHE and XXdata drive.
- The compressed batch file is XXRamDrv20130902.zip

2013/09/03::
- Added a line that starts XXHE (from the ramdrive)
- The compressed batch file is XXRamDrv20130903.zip

NOTE: for the moment, I leave all the versions as they evolve, but this will surely change.

* XXRamDrv.zip (0.66 KB - downloaded 628 times.)
* XXRamDrv20130902.zip (0.67 KB - downloaded 559 times.)
* XXRamDrv20130903.zip (0.68 KB - downloaded 624 times.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:28:43 pm by AlainGr » Logged

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »

Now the printing...
(Shown here is the revised version 2013/09/03)

(start of the batch file) --------------------------------
@ECHO OFF
rem Creation of the "B:\" drive for playback ramdisk
rem Replace the number "2" in the "-s 2g" with a lower or higher value if desired
rem "2g" means 2GB of ramdisk
IMDISK -a -m B: -s 2g -o hd,rem -p "/fs:exfat /q /A:2m /y"

rem Creation of the folder "xxplay" in playback ramdisk drive
MD B:\xxplay

rem remove the word "REM" from the following line if you do not want any ramdisk for XXHE
rem EXIT

rem Creation of the "A:\" drive for XXHE and XXData ramdisk
rem After the "-s ", what follows is the size of the ramdisk
rem "m" after a number means amount of MB (Megabytes) of ramdisk
rem "g" after a number means amount of GB (Gigabytes) of ramdisk
IMDISK -a -m A: -s 3g -o hd,rem -p "/fs:exfat /q /a:512 /y"

rem -- At the right of the "=" in the following lines:
rem -- Specify the source drive where XXHE is located (JUST a LETTER)
SET XXDRIVE=C
rem -- Specify the XXHE directory to copy FROM (no "\" to begin or end)
SET XXHE=XXHighEnd-09-z9

rem Copying the content of physical XXHighEnd and XXData in ramdrive
XCOPY %XXDRIVE%:\%XXHE% A:\%XXHE%\ /E /Q /Y
XCOPY %XXDRIVE%:\XXdata A:\XXdata\ /E /Q /Y

START A:\%XXHE%\XXHighEnd.exe
(end of the batch file) ---------------------------------

This batch file creates 2 ramdrives:
- One for the playback (drive B:) = 2GB of ramdrive space
- One for XXHE and XXData (drive A:) = 3GB of ramdrive space

I have put emphasis on 5 parameters:

A) There are 2 lines that begin with "IMDISK". The bold parameter indicate the size of the ramdrive.
"2g" means 2GB
"3g" means 3GB

B) REM EXIT
If someone does not want to go further than creating a ramdrive for the playback drive, just remove the word "REM ". This will simply exit the batch file without doing what follows that line.

C) The paremeters in RED colour indicate where you specify the information needed to copy XXHE from your hard drive into ramdisk.
"C" is the letter of the hard drive where XXHighEnd and XXdata are located. If "C" is not the correct letter of the drive, you replace it with the right hard drive letter (D, E, R, Z...). Only one letter of course !
"XXHighEnd-09-z9" points to the directory of that hard drive that will be copied into ramdrive. For the moment, only this exact name will be copied into ramdrive.
For the moment, I will leave this suggestion: do not allow spaces in the title of the folder... "XXHE version 9" would not work, but "XXHEversion9" will...

2013/09/03:
Implemented from Anthony's idea about starting XXHE at user's login, the following line has been added to allow the start of XXHE from the batch file:
START A:\%XXHE%\XXHighEnd.exe
If you don not want this line to execute, simply insert a "rem" at the beginning of this line:
rem START A:\%XXHE%\XXHighEnd.exe

Alain
Edit: Every line that begins with "rem" is a comment line. It does nothing.
Edit2: Please read the 3rd post to complete these informations.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:55:52 pm by AlainGr » Logged

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:48:32 pm »

Now some notes...

- The more you increase the capacity of your ramdisk(s), the less RAM you have available for the OS and the XXHE processes... It is a trade-off...
- Peter's post in another thread really has to be read to understand that what I wrote is not invariable forever. There will be modifications to come, like what Peter wrote about XXdata and that I am unsure of... If Peter mentions that XXdata should not be copied, then you can remove the following line from the batch file:
XCOPY %XXDRIVE%:\XXdata A:\XXdata\ /E /Q /Y
XXdata will not be copied, but you will then need to specify "C:\XXdata" in XXHE settings (the physical XXHighEnd that sits on your hard drive, not the one in the ramdrive).
- You need to specify the playback drive. Notice that I have taken the liberty to create a folder in the playback drive. It should be written like this: "B:\xxdrive\"
- You should ensure that the "Copy to xx-drive by standard" is turned OFF.
- If you want to modify something permanently, I suggest that you do so with the physical XXHE, then reboot the computer. This will prevent unwanted error messages...
- If you modify the batch file and want to restart it, you should reboot your system first
- Of course, it is necessary to execute the batch file each time you reboot (for the moment). When you reboot, the ramdrive(s) disappear since RAM if emptied from its contents each time.
- 2013/09/02: After doing some tests, I advice to define your ramdrives in Gigabytes (1g, 2g, 3g, etc)  instead of Megabytes (MB). Some values work, some others don't. If this happens, a windows will pop and ask to format a drive, confirming something is not right.

You can of course create 2 shortcuts:
- One that points on the batch file
- One that points on the copied (in ramdrive) XXHighEnd.exe file the first time. Of course, to do this, you need at least the first time to execute the batch file (to create this shortcut)...

I should point out that if something seems to be wrong and you are unsure it could be about the ramdrive, I would suggest that you reboot and try to re create this situation with the physical XXHE drive. This will help separate ramdrive related situations with situations that would otherwise not happen...

Remember to read what Peter posted prior to this. If there are contradictions, please report them. I did this post quite fast and will modify it with fellows comments, suggestions and corrections.

Regards,

Alain

2013/09/03: for the moment the window that appears when the batch file is executing displays a lot of lines (quite rapidly), but I will make it more "silent" soon (will display a lot less) and maybe into a file (for support).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:01:17 pm by AlainGr » Logged

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »

Oh... And I am not always in front of my PC Wink It could take time for me to answer questions. I believe Peter will monitor this thread from time to time, but I hope it will not put a burden on him...

I have been a programmer in another life, so I can do a few things, but while I did this for me first and now hope it could help our community, I will count on you to help me to resolve the different problems that could occur. So be patient please Happy

And of course, Peter will have the last word Happy

Regards,

Alain

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:43:21 am by AlainGr » Logged

juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:37:34 pm »

Thanks Alain. As I said your software works beautifully well and I´m sure that this ramdisk contributes greatly to the good sound I have now. So far I haven´t had any problem with the sizes provided originally by Alain although, to tell the truth, I only charge one album at a time (flac or wav). Anyway, following Peter advise I´m going to increase the sizes of both ramdisks to 3Gb for the XXHE drive and 10Gb for the Playback Drive, that leaves 11Gb for XXHighEnd that should be enough, now I´m using again 24Gb of Ram.
I encourage other people to try it even if it is just for SQ, in my case it is better than ever as I say. Of course I do understand the point of view of Peter and, as you said Alain, the last word belongs to him.

Again I´d like to thank Alain publicly for his helpful work.

Best regards,
Juan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:20:17 am by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »

Great thanks Alain. And congrats on your achievement. Your efforts are not in vain now ...
(I know how much time Alain spent on it to get it flexible and right)

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »

Alain, thanks for posting this.  I will try it out in the coming days.

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:09:03 pm »

It was about time I give back some of all I received from all of you no ?  blush1

I owe to a lot of people from this community.

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 08:20:53 am »

Hi Alain,

rem Replace the number "512" in the "-s 512m" with a lower or higher value if desired
rem "512m" means 512MB of ramdisk.
rem if you prefer to have a bigger XXHE drive, use 2g (2GB) instead
IMDISK -a -m A: -s 512m -o hd,rem -p "/fs:exfat /q /a:512 /y"

Strangely enough this part is dead wrong. You say "replace the 512 with a higher or lower number if desired. This is odd, because the Tutorial is all about that. Now the default will work out as wrong as it just is. So pleace replace that with 2G at least.
Now people may run into too few memory problems. But that is better than letting things go wrong unnoticed.

Do notice that not many people will be able to fuss around with .bat files. So they will start using it as it is, at least at first (and leave it be when it seems to work, which at first always is so ...).

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 08:22:24 am »

Alain,

As you told me by PM ... a definition of 2.4G etc. seems not possible. But what about 2400M ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:19 am »

Something I just thought of now, incurred for by a post in here (maybe it was Juan's) :

Indeed it is so that IMDisk needs to be installed under Normal OS. Next though, I found that (maybe by accident at first) the driver program gets removed by XXHighEnd's Minimized OS feature, and if not there then at the start of Unattended Playback. So I thought "OK, nice". However ...

Since the problems regarding the not reporting that the RAMDisk is full and things get overwritten (could even be normal memory as it seems), I am now thinking that this well can be because this driver program is not running. I mean, it seems strange to me that it does not need to. What is it for otherwise ? IIRC it isn't even active when booted into Minimized OS. So how can it all work then ? Is running the .exe sufficient ? Maybe. But maybe not ...
That driver program could be some kind of (protective) watchdog.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 12:06:06 pm »

If the amount of memory is the main problem (perhaps not the only one), why not try the Ramdisk if only to see if there is a perceived improvement in SQ? Even if the amount of memory already installed is limited I think it´s worthwhile to test it.
If there is a better SQ then buy more memory to get at least 24Gb or even change the mother board if with the one you have it is not possible. I mean, just if the SQ perceived is noticeable better and you´d like to maintain this SQ. That´s around 300€ in the worst of case, buying an Asrock X79 EXTREME4-M (the one in the XXHE PC) and 16Gb of Ram, thinking that you already have at least 8Gb of Ram. I´m not saying to do it right now, I´m sure that this Ramdisk issue needs more experimentation but if after that the better SQ is consolidated, then to think in buying more memory wouldn´t be a bad idea. JMHO.

Juan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:46:51 am by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:55 pm »

Hi Alain,

rem Replace the number "512" in the "-s 512m" with a lower or higher value if desired
rem "512m" means 512MB of ramdisk.
rem if you prefer to have a bigger XXHE drive, use 2g (2GB) instead
IMDISK -a -m A: -s 512m -o hd,rem -p "/fs:exfat /q /a:512 /y"

Strangely enough this part is dead wrong. You say "replace the 512 with a higher or lower number if desired. This is odd, because the Tutorial is all about that. Now the default will work out as wrong as it just is. So pleace replace that with 2G at least.
Now people may run into too few memory problems. But that is better than letting things go wrong unnoticed.

Do notice that not many people will be able to fuss around with .bat files. So they will start using it as it is, at least at first (and leave it be when it seems to work, which at first always is so ...).

Peter

I wrongly assumed here... I will change it and will post as soon as I can.

Alain

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:18:28 am »

Alain and Peter,

Thank-you for the RAMDisk info and batch file.  A little bit of spare time came up today and I could not help myself so I downloaded IMdisk and Alains batch file and set to making a 2.8GB XX ramdisk and a 5GB playback drive using my 16GB of ram.  What do you know, a nice surprise and a I think a general lift in SQ which for me is characterised by a lower noisefloor, the background is more black.  Early days of course, but very promising.

One additional thing that I have done is to add Alain's batch file and a shortcut to XXHE (to the version on the ramdisks) to windows startup so both processes run automatically when the computer boots.  I just press the button to turn the computer on and then XXHE is sitting there running from the RAMDisks.  Nice!!

Cheers,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:24:42 pm »

Alain and Peter,

One additional thing that I have done is to add Alain's batch file and a shortcut to XXHE (to the version on the ramdisks) to windows startup so both processes run automatically when the computer boots.  I just press the button to turn the computer on and then XXHE is sitting there running from the RAMDisks.  Nice!!

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Anthony, would you please let me know how to add the batch file and the XXHE shortcut to the W8 startup?. I knew how to do it in W7 and how to delete files from W8 start up but I can´t find the way to add these files.

Regards,
Juan

PS. Please put your signature whenever is possible, thanks

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: