XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 03:00:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shock improvement  (Read 6317 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:06:12 am »

Some of the best changes are the simplest but this took me ages to think of and now I have made it, it seems so obvious - how could I have been so stupid not to have thought of it before?

This simple move of the speakers has improved sound quality and is without doubt the single biggest improvement I have made in my system. The aim was to remove reflections off the wall (maybe "piers") that was behind the speakers and remove the corner effects of the right hand speaker but I am shocked just how much better the SQ is now and not just in the bass but all through all through the frequency range. Bass is much tighter and better controlled. The sound is much cleaner and more accurate. Maybe the reflections of the back wall caused "comb" distortion all through the frequency range or reflections off side walls causing bad room effects. Photos of before and after locations attached. "Before" picture is with the ANE's - they would not have worked well in the new location as they need to be near a rear wall and corner to produce decent bass. No such problems with the S5's though. It just sounds as though major room problems have been completely removed in one simple move.

In a way I guess the new location is like putting the speakers in a completely new room i.e. a third of the way down a 40' long room and well away from side walls.

Cheers

Paul

* 2013-10-09_062614.png (141.64 KB, 786x524 - viewed 667 times.)

* ANE.png (123.21 KB, 637x473 - viewed 688 times.)

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »

Hey Paul, I look forward to hearing your new set up at some point.

But I have to say that I still remember the first time I came to visit you. You had your ANEs a little away from the rear walls. Although I agree that the bass wasn't as powerful as when you moved them further back (by cutting into your skirting boards), I really liked the overall sound as it was. I think there was a 'lightness' and 'delicacy' to the sound that was really nice. I even said that you should just keep things exactly as they are.

Knowing what you have now, you're probably really glad that you ignored me. But I hope the new positioning of your S5s has restored some of what I liked so much, but no doubt with a much more powerful bottom end. If so, I can imagine you're getting a pretty special sound right now.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:54:51 pm »

Hey Mani,

I did not realise it at the time but there were some pretty big problems with my front end now sorted. I think you will find a big difference - anyway I would value your honest opinion so anytime you want to come down no problems you are always welcome. 

But first I will see you on the 19th at yours - looking forward to it.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:48:19 pm »

Mani - just a thought if you are coming to listen to my speakers it needs to be before you get your Orelino's if it is after I will not let you in the house ha ha.

Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: