XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 10:42:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a new wireless DAC - would like to know if XXHighEnd can help?  (Read 10481 times)
rentaghost
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:50:00 am »

I am soon to receive a wireless DAC called a Consonance Wireless DAC 1.0, which is a TDA1543 non oversampling, no upsampling, design. I totally agree with your philosophy about letting the computer up or over sample then sending the manipulated stream to the DAC - I am hoping this basic DAC which uses a chip that does not have any internal computational algorithms will benefit from your XXHighEnd Player - is this likely to be the case do you think?

Information about it here: http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Consonance-Wireless-DAC-w-Linear-technology.html

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:30:49 am »

Hi there,

The question is not so easy to answer;
The TDA1543 is one of the better of course, so nothing to say about that in itself. However, you must realize that just *because* it can take 48Khz max only (and 16 bits) you won't be able to upsample in (XXHighEnd) software either.
This means that you will be listening to sheer "NOS" which could be what you want, but I recall from your earlier posts that this may not be the case.

So, might you come to the conclusion "oops, yea, I wanted to upsample in software (like with Arc Prediction)" then the specs in that link apply. Well, sort of, because they can not be correct. I mean, no way that the distortion figure will be better than 0.12% over the whole frequency range since this is 30% at e.g. 18KHz. The given 0.5% on the frequency response is a bit more difficult to judge for me (because this should be about +/-dB and will be something like -12dB for genuine NOS in the higher regions) ... but my all means, please notice this all when you thought you could upsample which you can not.
So, when you can upsample, all the figures will be totally difference hence way (way) better.

Will XXHighEnd still help ? Oh, sure. Let's say everywhere where it is supposed to help for the better SQ, thinking about OS manipulation and what not. But not Arc Prediction - that can't work.
So to be clear : at one stage ever back Arc Prediction was developed and since then that has never changed. Thus, all the efforts for the better SQ since, went all into other departments, and those will still work as always. It is only that the higher THD (etc.) figures for this DAC should be quite overwhelming, while all those other improvements actually are not even measurable by normal means (like THD figures won't change because of those improvements).

Is it clear somewhat ?
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
rentaghost
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:41 pm »

OK, so because it's physically limited to 16 bit then upsampling beyond that will not be possible. What about upsampling "to" 16 bit from lower res files such as 320kb from Spotify?

Therefore, Spotify plays on the computer XXHighEnd upsamples Spotify playback to 16 bit, then the final output transmits to the Consonance receiver.

Or does it not work like that?
rentaghost
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »

You can see also see that its possible using the Consonance as a bridge to output to another DAC - it is also possible to do 24/96 streams over this wireless which can pass through to any connected compatible DAC.

However, I don't really plan to do this - I will experience for the first time a NOS / filterless multibit DAC - supposed to sound very musical.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »

Nah, it is not about the 16 bit (well, too to some extend) but about the sample rate. And do notice that MP3 is 16/44100 although you did not expect that. Happy
So does not help.

And btw, I did not read anything about digital output in 96KHz. The contrary (explicitly), but maybe I read wrongly ?

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
rentaghost
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:10:36 pm »

Its "rumoured" to work - I will try it for myself.

Anyway - you said XXHighEnd as a player could improve the sound coming from a PC - can you give me an example of a configuration that would help? Then I could give it a go.

One of the main reasons I wanted a wireless DAC was to keep the PC completely isolated from the DAC. Therefore no need to tweak the PC forever with quiet components at extra cost keeping the noise at bay (this process can go on forever with Audiophile Nervosa). Makes my life easier. However I accept there could be some software based improvements via players like yours.

So how?

rentaghost
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:41:22 pm »

Some more information for you - I'm using it right now and I can control the volume of the music from the PC so I guess that's not good news for ultimate sound quality (is it?).

But is very convenient for me Happy seeing as this thing does not have a preamp.

It manifests itself as a USB Audio Device on the computer...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:25:30 am »

The isolation idea sure makes sense. But point here is that any of these means inherently deteriorate to begin with, so the solution is not really in that area. Of course, you might (or actually will) be able to eliminate anything the PC implies (for noise hence jitter) but now the jitter is so high that sound will be poor to begin with. But all is relative of course !

What still could be working is changing the buffer lengths. This is Q1, xQ1 and Device Buffer Size all together as a factor. But please keep in mind, if sound is too poor (never mind very good to your ears !) then this overwhelmes. So technical example : If you might be able to bring down RMS jitter from 100ps to 50ps by these buffer means, while in your DAC 800ps of jitter is there to begin with, this just can not help. Not technically, thus also not audibly.

But let me know your findings !

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
rentaghost
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:24:37 pm »

Well my findings so far are starting with seeing how this behaves without wrapping it up in any fancy software.

So to begin with, playing the Consonance Wireless DAC using the drivers that get auto-installed by Windows Vista work well with a good vivid sound produced.

I thought I would go further and plug the USB transmitter in a Lubuntu netbook - here again the drivers would install automatically by Lubuntu (a whole host of then to choose from however). But playback quality was much worse, and at a lower volume too. Some of the USB drivers installed cause the Consonance to play music at a significantly faster speed???

I honestly thought that if all it was doing was sending TCP/IP to the Consonance DAC, then all sound should sound the same. But in this case something more must be going on!

Why would the drivers in Linux act so differently than the drivers in Windows?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: