XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 10:45:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: DVI to HDMI cable against VGA to VGA cable  (Read 18380 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:36 am »

Until very recently, I was using a headless music pc (without screen, keyboard and mouse). So I was accessing it through RDC - yes, through networking.

I never gave importance on the VGA cable, since its use was only occasional (when accessing the BIOS). Most of the time it was disconnected.

Finally Peter convinced me to use "Stop All Services", so I connected these devices on the music pc to play music. I stopped using RDC and networking accordingly. I am connected to the TV LCD through a VGA cable I have had for quite some times now.

I was aware that a cable with DVI can be better. I won't go into the different DVI possible connections, but I got a cable with a DVI connection at one end and an HDMI connection at the other.

Then something I have never noticed since I have the NOS1 happened: there is a "glare", some voices seems "edgy". There is also some kind of "sizzle" at times, when the sound seems to saturate due to high recording levels (like in analog recordings)...

I connected the VGA cable and while all seems less prominent, it also seems there. The difference is subtle, but it's better than with the DVI-HDMI cable.

Pushing the experience, I changed the settings to have things like they were before: with networking, with RDC, without keyboard, mouse, nor screen.

In the comparison from worst (with "glare") to best (without "glare"):
1. DVI to HDMI
2. VGA to VGA
3. Through RDC (with networking)

The graphic card is a basic ASUS card with nothing in particular.

Has someone else experienced such results ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:26 am »

Hey Alain,

Well, I did not experience that in exactly this fahsion, I have always had the idea that I rather liked by tablet-bluetooth connection (which is through RDC en in the end) over the direct control. All I did though, was switching off the monitor of the audio PC. Nothing special.

Although I don't use the tablet control anymore, I have been switching off the monitor since. Also I think it is directly audible, but it needs a monitor with a more physical switch to perceive that. I mean, the monitor I am currently using is "too electronic" and it always takes a few seconds for it to shut off in even a couple of visible stages.

Then I know that each monitor (as far as I can tell) throws a high frequency of 91KHz on ... not sure, but I think the mains. Anyway, this is visible on the outputs of the DAC and sticks some 15dB out of the noise. This is not the switching PSU of it, but just the monitor itself (and otherwise what it implies to the psu brick, which just stays in the mains). Even the iMac I have here shows the same (this is one monitor with PC built in it).

I have seen more situations (visitors bringing PC + monitor) where all gets fairly wacky in the noise department, just when the monitor is switched on.

These are just examples in the area of things which sure can be completely avoided like working through RDC. So, keyboard and mouse the same because they too have their influence; electrical but also OS wise. Point is though that at least at this moment there is no solution to bringing down the LAN (LAN is needed for RDC) and bringing it up again at your will. So, down is easy, but up - how to do that without LAN. sleeping
And the LAN (OS activities) is one of the most devistating "features" for SQ. How this compares to monitor (connection) sh*t ... of course not because all apples and oranges.

So yes, these things have been in my mind for a very long time, but I don't know how to solve it.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:43:12 am »

Thanks. I don't understand why this is happening like this. I thought it would be the contrary - the DVI being the better, then the VGA, then the RDC being the worst... But no...

And yes, I see what you mean by the noise.

The only thing I do for RDC is disconnect myself from the music PC as soon as I have pressed PLAY...

Maybe I should send you a file showing that "glare". It's in the singer's voice...

Alain

EDIT: BTW the DVI connector on the cable is a DVI-D (Single Link). Wikipedia has a picture with the 5 different DVI connectors (mine is the third).

* DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png (18.19 KB, 277x543 - viewed 679 times.)

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:11:54 pm »

I can imagine the DVI (digital) connection maintaining a continuous "handshake". Analog (VGA) is "just there". Both may carry the same noise but the digital adds that continuous data.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »

It could be the reason yes... Or it could be the power (120V) that also brings its problems... I will try my old Viewsonic (17 inch) screen. It only carries VGA, but maybe it will change something.

Alain

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 02:03:09 pm »

Interesting. Several months ago I switched from VGA to DVI --no HDMI--and the sound improvement regarding glare was significant. Makes me wonder, Alain, if the HDMI connector is the "problem" with your DVi cable?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »

Hi Brian,

Ah... I did not think about that... I have another monitor with a DVI connection (I think)... I will try it.

Thanks !

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 02:18:31 pm »

FYI and FWIW :

Although DVI and HDMI are generally accepted as the same, they really are not. And well, this doesn't relate to audio (which for sure is different in the both but which doesn't play a role here) but at the PC side HDMI transfers to movie colors while DVI translates to PC colors. Or maybe this is just at the display's side - I forgot.
This too of course is not really related, but the both connections just are not the same. So have an DVI-HDMI converter (connector) or the other wat around, and you can expect differences. Don't ask me where in our case.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 02:20:30 pm »

Ah... I did not think about that...

But I did. Happy
One case is already suspicious to me (because I always believe people right away - but can be disproven later) but two ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 02:24:21 pm »

But two... ? Did you loose your breath while typing ? Wink

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 02:27:39 pm »

One case ... but two cases ...
... is really suspicious.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:25 pm »

Would ThightVNC (a VNC) be an advantage replacing RDC if you eventually use the LAN OFF and ON ?

Alain

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »

Here's some other observations about vga v DVI from August 9, 2013. I believe it was Nick who posted first about it in the thread:

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2677.msg27651#msg27651

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 05:16:33 pm »

I read a few things this morning about differences between DVI and HDMI... Earlier DVI connections were not carrying sound, but it is possible now, if the graphic card is set for that...

I am also waiting for Peter to aknowledge if the glare I hear from the singer on a specific song is also present for him. I wonder if this kind of thing could be recorded like that...

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »

Alain,

A glare as such I don't perceive from it. A strangely (sort of all over fake) processed recording Yes. Couldn't focus to anything. Mono as it feels but which is isn't at all.
Dynamics seem zero.

So maybe you are right and a glare is in there, but to my ears it is so poor that I couldn't even focus on that.

If you have better recorded examples ... happy to try that too. Or propose this one to others, maybe they have better ears.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 09:19:19 pm »

I had a VGA only screen until recently I unplugged it and plugged in a DVI screen - no real difference.

So then I rebooted and used the DVI screen - clearly an improvement.

I use a DVI screen now. Nick suggested it could be the drivers - possibly / probably anyway I just stick with the DVI now.

For sure worthwhile but nothing compared with the upgrade in SQ the AUDIO GRADE USB 3.0 PCIE CARD provided - totally fundamental.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 09:55:41 pm »

In my experience there is no perceptible differences among VGA or DVI cables, never tested however the HDMI. I don´t find differences either among to have the VGA/DVI plugged or unplugged (I use a VGA cable with a DVI adpater) nor with the monitor on or off. BUT, just in case, and following the rule that less devices connected should be better I took the habit to turn off the monitor when the music starts to sound.

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: