XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 01:33:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Add some noise (Windows 8)  (Read 65459 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:33 am »

All,

Actually this is about a most devistating subject hence I don't see how we can consistently get under control our noise issues. no

First off : Read this : Windows 8.1 hence know what I wrote there. At this time of writing this is u/i Reply #4.

Ok. You know that I have been saying that at some stage of the level of (few) noise we can obtain could be worse than having some more of it. This is about the few frequencies of noise left and what is left can become profound. At least that has been my theoretical perception and I think today this prooves true.

Disclaimer : Of course this is through my system and ears only and/but let's say that the noise level in my chain should be one of the more real lower because I can just easily measure what I am doing. So, this is not about audible noise (no matter how deeply listened in the speaker (115dB sensitive in my case) but about noise way more down like -140/-120dB areas.
It also is about Windows 8 with its strange issues which right from the start were dedicated to "too few noise" - at least by me.

In the link (first post) I just gave, there is a sort of disclaimer of what I use differently in that particular (W8.1) chain compared to what I use normally. And sadly it turned out that it is all about that;

One of the major things I use there is a USB2 connected disk; I had to, because my LAN connection wasn't setup in that OS (with all the mappings to drives elsewhere). So it just was my means to play (obtain) music.

What I wrote in that topic was that I was actually very satisfied with the result, because those jumping out details and actually "too high frequencied" sound was not there with Windows 8.1 at all. All finally sounded the most normal to me.
Last night I went back to my normal W8 OS as I have used it for the past months, and right away I couldn't stand it. Same issues as ever before, BUT I got used to them. Not so anymore when you listened for three days to more normal music reproduction.

Knowing the differences as decribed in that link I gave, I thought to mimic that. So, connected the USB2 disk again and played from there. All further the same so no other changes to that PC. Just not playing over the LAN but through that USB2 connected (USB3) disk.
All was right again. scratching

Then, and although I was very sceptical about the possible result, I left that disk be as it was, and played through the LAN again.
All was still right. unsure

And thus now, all what I (in my obviously specific situation !) must do is connect that separately powered (in a separately earthed mains ring) USB3 disk through the USB2 connection.

Yes, I put this in "Playback Tweaks" because I don't see it differently than that. It's just that super tweak needed. Sadly though I don't see it at all as a tweak everybody can apply. That is, most probably it is too much depended on the situation as a whole, unless "some" USB2 connection does some OS tricks. But this seems too far out to me.
Or maybe not ?

Maybe people should try a few things in this realm;
My LAN connection should not be related with the notice it is off anyway during playback. If you want to achieve a sort of comparable result, you should have the music on some internal HDD (can be the OS disk as well I think), use a  RAMDisk for XXHighEnd as well as Playback Drive (so two RAMDisks) do not connect *anything* to USB (and as you may know, in my view mouse and keyboard are banned from that as well but if you have to use them through USB, alas) and next attach a USB disk to USB2. Preferrably a USB3 disk. Don't use it for anything - just connect it.

Sound difference (remember, my situation)

Yesterday I played a full (ambient) album through my normal situation of the past months. Sound was annoying (but really as usual) and detail jumped out in a hissing way (this depends very much on the album of course, especially when synths are used). Sound was all over in different places (seems good) but made no music as such (places were too different - all was too separate although that looks technically nice (to have achieved)).

After attaching the USB disk I listened to the complete album again. Why ?
I didn't recognize anything of it anyway.
No separate sounds everywhere anymore. And you know what ? when I played the album the first time, my very first notice was "ouch, so far away !". And didn't I tell about this many times (W8). This thus, compared to the past three days where I did *not* notice the sound was more close by. But the other way around, yes.

I have been raving about my "super bass" from the Orelino Speakers. Well, this is so and justified. But when I day before yesterday (USB disk situation) played one of the most profound tracks about this, suddenly all changed. I know that just over a minute into the particular track some bass stands up and takes over. Now ? I thought I was playing the wrong track. The bass started all right, but at a so much lower level that it is actually unbelievable. In the mean time I could walk to all places in the room to hear it vibrate (at just under 30Hz or so). This was not so before because it was too warm (say that louder makes more warm and more fuzzy).

While I was yesterday totally annoyed all over when I played that (other) album without the USB disk connected, totally nothing of that was left anywhere with the disk connected. And, noticeable in 5 seconds again.
The change is as if the speakers were replaced by another brand. Or the amps. Or the room. Therefore maybe too tough to describe, but all over different.

To summ it up, I don't know what to do with this;
It seems clear that no matter how we might rave about our (new) situation, we can all not be trusted because of these futilities; We just won't even know we are applying them.
The difference in this case is so crazy that we should give up on it all instantly (unless it works out the same for everybody). And why is it so much different ? I can only guess. Guess ? No, not even that. Stupid theories maybe, which you might dig because I am presenting them. But do I know really ?

No.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:51:41 pm »

Peter,

I am trying hard to understand (and maybe I do ?), but you say that if we connect a USB 3 drive to a USB 2 port, without doing anything with it, the sound comes out more naturally ?

I am less certain if you are talking about W8 or W8.1 though...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:20:34 pm »

Alain,

I am not saying that this will "help", but I do hope so. And if the difference is a huge as it is here it should be easy to try and detect.

This afternoon I will have my 8.1 ready for the same "LAN" setup I am used to, so I will try that tonight. So, if that works as "bad" without the USB disk connected as it does on W8, then it is a general thing (here at least).

Will report ...
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:51:37 pm »

Early October I tested my USB connections:

1.   USB 2.0 cable (stock) versus USB 3.0 cable (€10)
2.   USB 3.0 card (Asrock with Renesas driver) versus USB 3.0 motherboard versus USB 2.0 motherboard.

My disk is a SATA disk in an USB 3.0 converter enclosure externally powered. Computer, DAC, disk and screen are all fed through a Purepower power regenerator. 

After 2 nights of listening tests I preferred:
1.   USB 3.0 cable
2.   USB 2.0 motherboard connection over the USB 3.0 motherboard over the USB 3.0 card connection.

Especially the imaging was more natural and the highs were more relaxed, yet detailed and layered.

After that I had to travel abroad for 2 weeks and I forgot about it, until now.

Regards,
Stanley

PS. No playbackdrive and RAMdisks at moment of testing. Will try the RAMdisk batchfile this week hopefully.

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:07:40 am »

Peter, are you saying that it is sometimes better to have a higher level of 'good noise' rather than remove it and expose 'bad noise' even at lower levels?  If so, I guess you are saying that in your situation the USB2 disk makes 'good noise' for you and masks some of the 'bad noise' that you experience when it is not here.

This could well be true, and I like your thinking.  But, as you know from the linear psu thread, I am on a 'low noise' crusade at the moment and am really interested in where that gets us in regards to sound quality.  Personally I REALLY like the sound I am getting from my XXHE PC with the PPAstudio USB card and am confident that I can improve that further with the LPS and perhaps the NOS1 USB Clock upgrade that Nick is pioneering (and I hope you can verify before I am too tempted to take a soldering iron to my NOS1).

Anyway, eventually there comes a point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in, but we never find that point until we have gone too far at least once.

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:20:16 am »

In my thinking "noise" as such does not exist. As a disturbing factor, yes, but otherwise it is just many (usually high) frequencies stacked. Think like this :

Suppose you have this quite common white noise through your speakers. The "spectrum" is so that it is all over and that is why you perceive it as "noise" as we know it. Now limit that spectrum to 1 freqency only. Level (volume) stays the same.
Which of the both situations would you prefer ?

So, that.
When we were able to remove noise from the system, all we did was removing a lot of frequency sources hence those frequencies themselves. But because we can't remove them all, a few remain and thus become profound; they ride on the signal with a now more repeatable (and thus also resonating) character. Contrary, with many frequency (sources) all is far more random. That too will give a character, but it will be merely a flavor applied to everything in the same fashion; more really colouring the sound. The "single" distortion frequencies may interact (add, cancel) with other single frequencies and be audible "better", of course as nastyness somewhere.

I don't think this is in school- or other books. But all I make up is often not. prankster

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:32:37 am »

I yesterday setup an exact same system (hardware is the exact same anyway) as my usual Windows 8, but now with Windows 8.1. So, music behind the LAN somewhere, that dynamically shut off during playback (available in the next XXHighEnd version).

Started out as how I play normally, thus no further devices attached; only the 2.5" OS spinning disk.
naughty

Into the third track I already was fed up with this cool-dead-technical sound, stopped playback, connected the USB3 disk to the USB2 port, did nothing with that as described previously, and restarted playback.
clapping

I'm afraid it will still be my particular system/situation which allows this to happen and work out so nicely (ehm, superbly) and of course it can only be a huge coincidence that any added noise signature creates a mere "perfect" sound (I would describe it like that compared to without the disk connected). Still guys, look into your own hearts; The sound of Windows 8 is and remains strange; we may prefer it over Windows 7 but it is and remains a machine (or robot like I always described it) producing the music. Here, with this USB disk connected that nasty habit went away.

And to be clear : Both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 the same.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 01:29:13 pm »

Here another post about this stupid stuff, with the explicit notice that no merits should be derived from this, other than that similar will be happening to you all with the most various results.

This is what I said in the Windows 8.1 topic :

Since my SFS was at 4 I only now realized how this single setting can hammer upon SQ once it goes trhough a "demanding" connection, which thus was USB(2). So, the disk is used continuously because of this low SFS and actually this low setting can not be used now. So I highered it to 60.
The difference was apparent immediately; less coloring hence more fresh sound.

While this text was from November 10 I had forgotten about it and worked with that new install for my LAN setup;
Yesterday I intuitively highered the SFS to 120 while I already day before yesterday started to see it from another angle :

The lower SFS colors the sound at the low end. So, I already knew this from W7, but 6 or whatever weeks ago I tried the SFS=4 for the first time in W8 and all was good. Ok, "relative to" it was.

What I noticed with the USB disk connected is that somehow the bass is many dB's more profound. Whether good or not, the woofers excurt more for something which may look like 12dB or so (think 2x2 times more excursion = 12dB). Also, and in my particular case, more than what I want for THD figures. This in itself takes more explanation which is too much off topic, but I talked about this elsewhere and I just know that what I feel is too much for the THD figures I don't like to exceed.

What I only learnt yesterday is that this "high excursion" immediately goes away with that SFS of 120 (but some lower probably the same - must test some limits).

Before we get totally lost on this no-merits post : This is all about an SFS=4 which is totally allowed for the situation which Windows 8(.1) mechanical sound and which does not let excurt the woofers in a strange fashion, but with the USB disk connected it is not allowed at all and the bass colors as hell. Yes, really like that, though it needs some tracks to run into to dicover that. Excursion is as high in every track though.

The message with again no merits for you all, although it every well *could* be as important to everyone : When the lower SFS colors the sound, this is at least in my situation explained by too much woofer distortion. And while with me, why not with you.
So, the funny thing I may have learned from this accidental experience is that coloring of the sound (bass) is not so much about too much bass as such, but merely about distortion occurring. Here, this is what I said as well in that post :

Without really taking care of XXHighEnd settings (like sort of described above) the sound is dark brown with even zooming bass, meaning a sort of standing wave behavior although I could not really detect that for certain places in the room. It just was everywhere.

... which to me again prooves how important it is to just "talk along" without real (first sorted out) sense, because it is just an observation and something should be causing it.
And so it does.

I am again not sure what to do with this, apart from seeing that it now needs more IQ than I have to really find some absolute means for settings;
That the lower SFS can't be right in general is what I have been saying forever, but that adding an idle USB disk would be able to really improve gives me a hard time. Still I too worked with the lower SFS for many weeks by now, and still I too will choose for that idle USB disk; it all does not satisfy me much (I mean, I can't find good consensus with myself for the reaons of why things "are" better - if at all (ears).
And oh, it is not really the low SFS doing this - it is the low Q1 value (which just can't be high with those lower SFS settings). So, yesterday setting the SFS to 120 did not really help, but setting Q1 to 14 x 10 x 4096 did (was 14 x 1 x 4096).

Remember, no merits. But differences you should be able to perceive just the same.
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 01:58:40 pm »

Hi Peter,

Do you still use the 4ms buffer from the NOS1 Control Panel with these new settings ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 02:07:15 pm »

Alain, good question. No, yesterday I set that back to 16ms; it made no sense to me anymore to have that low while the other stuff is high now again.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »

Before I had mine set at 8ms, because sometimes the music was starting with some strange noises (as if the buffer did not carry enough music to play). Now I can have it at 16ms...

I have always privilieged an "acute" sound when I was using my Bryston dac (through WASAPI) with W7. With the NOS1, I decided to follow your path and with W8 it seemed even more important to do so, because it is a lot "sharper" than W7. I should try WASAPI in a near future just to hear the difference, but I can already say that I will surely prefer KS, maybe because of this voice thing I experienced (and did not like).

Not that I did not recognize the merits of it, but I realize now how important being all together here to exchange our findings is a good thing. I recall saying how much I liked using an SFS of 4 almost a month ago, but at the same time I was wondering why the LF were so prominent on my speakers, since I never really considered them with that attribute. With the subs yes, this was ok, but alone ?

The "noise" I was perceiving with voices is a lot better now. I can't say if that is because I switched to W8.1, changed the settings (and SFS to a higher level), removed the 12v from the molex that is connected to the PP USB 3 card, but I guess that it could be the whole. This obsession for voices should (I hope) vanish in time (it really was unpleasant and at this point I was even listening for this on the radio in the car !)...

To summarize it: I now like what I hear, but I still wonder how come I am always saying this... Should I not decide to settle for a reference and judge all from there...

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 02:53:06 pm »

What would that reference be then Alain ?
(or maybe I don't understand well)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 02:58:53 pm »

I should have put this more in context. Since I started using XXHE, it has been and is still my reference. But there is an ultimate reference that would be to go listen for live representations, without amplification and such...

In reality, I am surprised I never really asked myself why from a version to another, from an OS to the other, things can really have a different presentation...

My thoughts are not really organized to give a precise answer about this, but for sure I can only be happy to walk will all of you here Happy

Alain

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 03:12:32 pm »

Sorry if my thoughts sound contradictory Peter... What I wished to express mostly is that when I listen to an album, sometimes I am stunned by what I hear, as if I was listening to it for the first time again... I experienced such a thing with my latest turntable 30 years ago, but never since, up until now. Never would have I thought that an OS, a cable, a power supply, a "noise web" - would have such an impact. I thought that digital would be the answer to all, that it would sound the same everywhere... So you can imagine all I discovered (and am continuing to discover).

It's just that I am looking behind and I see all the distance I have crossed since...

Regards,

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:53:18 pm »

In the end it is not different here Alain. I mean, if you only count the number of times that I wrote that I did not recognize my "nice stuff" albums anymore *at all* ... and this really is so.
It is only that I am used to it more and that I told myself some 6 or so years ago never to say "I'm there for sure !" ... which I back at that time really said.

But that is to me the nicest of this hobby ... you just never know in advance how things can improve, and in what area.
And at least I myself am as far that a live performance is NOT for the better at all most of the times. You might want to read this one again : Recording engineers don't get it and I can tell you know that this starts with B and ends at T for the first two words.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: