XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 09:01:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Add some noise (Windows 8)  (Read 65496 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 04:26:36 pm »

I think I understand, but cannot get a firm grasp at it... I don't want to go OT too far, since I feel I am drifting away from the topic...

Anyway, things can only get either better... Or different... This is a big question, but I know that we are aimed towards the "best" and it is always a fascinating journey.

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 06:27:43 pm »

Alain,

This is not so OT as you think;

You need to find yourself a reference and this reference is always to be "neutral sound". You can expect the NOS1 to be just that, and you can expect to need som dials in XXHighEnd to get there - depending on the situation, exactly subject to this topic. Whether you can expect your amplifier to exhibit that can not be judged by me, though I would be able to do that once it is in my own chain. So, here it is related to my GainClones, which are as neutral as can be to my ears, but which also measure like that.
What remains is the speaker, but imagine that you have (or know it can be) all set for the DAC+software and amps, and now you know it is the speaker when all is not neutral. So make it that (which is my own situation for the Orelino, which sort of had to be build from the ground up with its filters).

Now read that large "My first Windows 8 experience" again (but better don't). Right in the (my) first post in there you can see how I do NOT judge Windows 8 as neutral at all. So, the too light cymbals (hey, throughout that is !), the strange imaging (also throughout), the maybe (!) too detailed highs.

So what you can see is that it all comes down to neutrality (nothing is allowed to show the same flavor), and as long as that is not the case we are not there.
And to make it more complicated : I was very satisfied with W7 (which took years, if you look back and see how that all went). Nice ... but that was destroyed by the "reference" of W8 and undistorted highs. Today W7 distorts.
Similar story as nasty woman voices.

But it also gives the opportunity to improve further. And wasn't that the actual hobby ? I am not sure. But only listening to something perfect day in day out ? ... maybe 80% of the joy has gone then.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 11:35:28 am »

The saga continues ...

I feel I have to write this down merely for myself, already because I found myself confused this morning of what I actually observed last night. So while I still can dig it up from my small brains I better write it down now.

So, started out where I left off day before yesterday with that SFS=120 and Q1 x xQ1 x DevBuf = 14 x 10 x 4096.
While nothing disturbed really, I found the bass to be vague. Or more vague than I am used to thus want it to be;

Placebo working told me that adding a USB disk should not be for the better, no matter I find it to be that myself. "Wrong approach". So I decided to try to get the sound similar to USB disk connected but without USB disk connected. Some kind of XXHighEnd settings possibly could be found. But where to begin, and how to have the apples as much apples as possible for comparison.
I decided to continue with the exact same PC and OS for a next step, and this is an XXHighEnd PC *not* setup for the LAN connection. All in there is a 2.5" OS spinning disk and day before yesterday I played music from that same connected USB disk, though thus actively used;
I copied some albums from this disk to the OS disk and played some tracks from there.

Not much difference was to be heard; good. Then it is time to pull the USB disk.

Again not much difference to be heard. Hmm ...
See ? this is already interesting, because apparently now other tweaks are at work to let vanish the all so obvious difference. So what can that be ? only Q1 x etc. and the SFS. I mean, I didn't change anything else to get where I wanted to be (hence current situation), so all it would need is (slowly) going back to the old situation - Q1 x xQ1 x DevBuf = 14 x 1 x 4096 at an SFS of 4.

But what is slowly ? I can't spend ages on this ...

Anyway notice how I always do this : Bring up XXHighEnd, press Pause, change settings and press Play again. So, no real A-B which I hate anyway, and just continue whatever you were doing and unconsciously observe. Have a next beer etc.

It was in my mind that this few days back I had set the SFS to 60. Why ? yes, right; this was the setting of JonP who spend tremendous amounts of times (something like well over a year ago) to come to the conclusion that SFS=60 was the one which really worked. Many of us used that at the time. But the other settings ? I don't know anymore. And besides, that will have been W7. But still. So SFS=60 would be the first single thing to change.

Right away I noticed what I was missing : air. Yep, when this suddenly lacks this goes quite unnoticable - I see now.
Lately I walk to the speakers 2-3 times per track and feel the woofers. So, I made myself aquainted with how what sound feels. Notice that this is how I found "strangeness" in the first place, which was with Windows 8.1 and the higher SFS to begin with. Reminder, also for myself : I started doing this because I found the "Windows 8 nastyness" went away with it. Also to remember : this requires the higher Q1 etc. setting.

I thus found myself lucky to have dialed in a setting (SFS=60) which was for the far better right away. Ha !
But the balance with the highs did not seem right. Oh, it was all OK in the "does not disturb" department, but I thought there could be more detail. Lowering the SFS I did not want, so up to the Q1 stuff ...

This went more fast than I could have dreamt;
I felt that 14 x 1 x 4096 would not work (because to "equal" to what I used all the past weeks), so the first I tried was 14 x 2 x 4096.
Aha, see ? more detail. But more of it was needed. So I tried the 14 x 1 x 4096 after all to proove some things. And hey, YES, there is the nastyness right back.
Now, since 14 x 2 = 28 and 14 x 1 = 14, I figured that 21 x 1 would be right in the middle of that. I even did that without machinery. yes

Spot on.
Bass did not significantly change that I noticed and detail was there in the amount I did not want more. But what I learned from this - and notice that this can well be SFS=60 specific - is that the Q1 stuff has some threshold somewhere. Maybe it is 22, maybe it is 20 but for now that 21 seems to be just it.

For the next, let's not forget that the Device Buffer Size of 4096 is actually just an arbitrary number. It just weights in the formula of Q1 (x xQ1 x DevBufSize). But also, in my (NOS1) situation the 4096 is not related to any buffer size of the NOS1 as such, and or but that physical buffer size is set to 16ms (NOS1 Driver Control Panel). How they really relate I don't even know, but maybe I should ...
But now this :

Knowing that I'm a conspiracy thinker - meaning that I like to reason towards the unprobable - I recall from a far past that the maximum Q1 "stand alone" for USB setting was 21 (above that no sound at all). Hmm ...
This was before the NOS1-USB and it was from the time that WASAPI (Engine#3) was the only Sound Engine available. No Device Buffer Setting as such was available because this was (still is) calculated under the hood and don't ask me what the result of that would be for the NOS1-USB. Or for whatever USB interface from back at the time or today.
For WASAPI the Q1 of 21 doesn't really relate to how it is done in Kernel Streaming (by me) but still there is a relation making it worth while to conspiracy-think.

Both feet back on the ground I should say that this situation should imply a similar noise pattern as with the USB disk connected. But, at least this is tweakable by everybody the same way (if the remainder of the setup is the same, which obviously can be done - and not so with a USB disk which is different for everybody). However :
Before I forget it myself : What was lacking with the USB disk was the air in the music (but with the notice that these Orelino speakers can so well express this - nothing of the kind with my old speakers).
So, net better anyway.

This was the first step in eliminating that noise-adding USB disk. The second step is applying this to the LAN setup which does not play from the OS disk. Notice that both situations (will) go through the RAMDisk as Playback Drive (and XXHighEnd origine). So no real differences to be expected although we know that everything matters.
And on the latter I should not forget that this is still Windows 8.1 which can also do a couple of things, although I will be saying in advance that I won't be able to get hold of those particular merits because I now play with "Windows 8" in a normal fashion, not emphasizing the strangenesess we know of W8.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: