XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 28, 2024, 12:16:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The strangest sound ever, or ? Q5= ...  (Read 52643 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:46:05 am »

Hey all,

I have been waiting to post this until I was at least sure that things are not totally wrong, but still with the clear notice that possibly you (all) may judge it as wrong after all. Maybe I'm even asking for some help on this, but actually I am quite sure ...

In the latest XXHighEnd version we have the new Q5 parameter. This is what the Release Notes tell about it :

• The former working of Q5 (see under the [ Q ] button at the bottom of the main screen) has been changed in a more explicit SQ control parameter;
It engages at values other than 0 (though 1 should be avoided) and it will imply a very subtle but therewith important SQ parameter. It does not work on its own. For that and more extensive outlay, see the ToolTip on it.

The emphasis is not in the original Release Note but for today it is about that;

So ... 1 should be avoided. But why did I allow for it then ?
Well, because it is a very special setting with a very special purpose. And, I thought it could not work. But it can ...

Throughout time, and for me this was earlier than 0.9z-9 was release to you, I tried it a couple of times. My perception was always the same and looked like a "huh ? what !?".
But I never could proceed on it because playback would stop within the minute. Well, *that* was teasing. Seems to sound to good, but before you could really concentrate the sound stopped all together.

The sound

I wish I knew how to describe it;
Something very strange is going on and it is in the realm of super coherence or something. Let me call it a 3 dimensional blending with maybe the 3rd dimension to make up, but I mean "from all angles". First there's a blending which is related to good old still strange Left/Right behavior of Windows 8 (so yes, this is about Windows 8 only) and next and more profound there is a blending in the transients. I think I can say that the transients at the higher level blend into a foundation for those transients.
With the "higher level" I mean not the finest details (like ultra short spikes) but how e.g. a snare drum is hit and how that now is surrounded with a means of envelope in the attack.

This was the technical description.
For "functionality" I'd say that all sounds sooooooo normal and not emphasized that I actually don't know what is happening;
Yesterday it came to me that I would write about "if *that* is not analogue than I don't know anymore" with the immediate addition "but analogue would sound less detailed".

There is also a most strange thing happening, which I could predict from former experiences on how certain recordings can change counter intuitive. The Beatles is such an example and in the more past I often referred to it. I don't know why, but something is in these Beatles recordings which can make them go from the worst 60's to the best 90's (I skip 2000 to not overdo it). Not that this is about The Beatles, but it could be recognizable for you;

No, I am talking about recordings which actualy lack highs and of which at leat I myself never can explain much why. It is easy to blame the recording, but such a recording being in the middle of others of the same time and even artist, those being ok, why.
Sorry for the stupid example, but Machine Head of Deep Purple is such a recording. No highs. But when you listen to this Q5=1 sound then in other recordings you feel that Machine Head is going to work. It is like the sampling rate has increased so much that all the highest frequency are suddenly not missed. And yes, now writing this I would dedicate the same to those higher level transients now having foundation; all the steps needed to get there (at the level) go in small steps, while otherwise it was a one-go.

I often talk about Get Yer Ya Ya's Out (Stones) because that too is such an intrigueing album which originally sounds sull and flat, while all guts tell me it can be better. And yes, it improved so much over time. But now listen to it. It went from still-somehat-flat to the most fresh and "uptodate" cymbals. Guitars have "scratch" while previously they had sound. All changed. All.

People might concentrate on "timing" (when you are good at this) because I feel that something odd may be going on there. But I can not tell it is for the better or for the worse.

How to get this going

Well, that could be a most tough thing for everybody. At least it took me months (of throughput time) to find out and all is so critical that it may not work for you.

Notice of some importance : My PC runs at 360MHz per processor core (x12). This is super low and still it works. This, while it can be regarded a crucial factor (the speed) which in the end I did NOT recognize as such. Nor could I get it going with any of the other Settings which I myself regard related. But this is the thing :

Reboot your PC and start playing.
scratching
Here, I can play for hours (infinitely ?) by means of only that.
Reboot and maybe play a little so the memory is allocated and such, stop playing and leave the PC alone for even 30 minutes does NOT work.

Because at first I tried other means (through XXHighEnd Settings) I accidentally ended up with these possibly important factors (I don't want to change settings anymore at this time) :

Q1 = 14
xQ1 = 1
Device Buffer Size = 4096
Driver Control Panel (NOS1) : 16ms
Clock Resolution = 0.5
Q5 = 1
SFS = 2 ( Max SFS = 8 )
Thread Priority = High (thus not Real Time)
Processor Appointment Scheme = 3
XTweaks (from top to bottom) : 53, 100, 1, 1, 1, Stable, Optimal
Show Wallpaper = Off
Edit : Logging = Off
Edit : Better not use this in combination with Phase Alignment (sound stopping may cause large thumps).

Notice that the SFS=2 can imply a stop right at the start anyway (after 1-2 seconds), which is not related to the possible issue of stopping with Q5=1. If you encounter a stop so quickly, just try again or trying another track may help as well. If this remains (stop within 1-2 secs) try SFS=4.

When it works "quite ok" you will notice because music keeps on playing forever BUT as soon as you do something like Alt-u music stops. Or Alt-z (put in Demo Gallery) - same.
When it works 100% you will notice that things like Alt-u work as well and when this is so you have a nice headroom when not using these (hammering) commands.

When it does NOT work, you will notice this because of sound stopping randomly between say 10 seconds and 5 minutes, but with the for this recognizable "Data did not arrive in time". Well, this latter I hope because in my version I changed a few things (not due to this) and you might not receive this message right away or it may even happen that sound interrupts all the time (with the version I have here it definitely stops and with this message showing right away).

Because of the internal "construction" of Q5=1 you will be able to notice one small buffer repeat (of something like 0.2 secs) when Alt-u/Alt-d is used.

Prerequisites

I did not test this all, but since I know how critical it is, this will apply :

- Minimized OS (thus Activated XXHighEnd);
- Unattended Playback;
- XXHighEnd in RAMDisk;
- Playback Drive in RAMDisk.

And because of the (for me) non-intuitive behavior, when you can't get it going, try mentioned XTweaks first "53" to vary between 42, 43, and something like 90 (so, 3 different values only).

Is there anyone who can get this going ?
And if so, what do you think about the sound ?
(please report here and not through email etc.)

Regards and have fun,
Peter
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:26:44 am by PeterSt » Logged

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »

Hi Peter,

I like this... There is a fine blend of analogue finally happening in my system. I can't tell where this is changing, but the annoying effect around the voices that I have been hearing for a while (I never could tell what started this and what I did to hear that) is almost gone or at least there are moments I don't detect it anymore. But now I suspect that this has turned into an obsession for me, so there is some kind of "bad" expectations bias that I have to get rid of...

Yes I like this.

No interruption for the moment, but I have yet to let it play for a while. Except for the dreaded RDC I use (don't tell me please, I know...), I use 9d with the music drive connected through network. I am even self confident I could plug back my supertweeters, even the subs just to add some "weight" to the music...

Could it be that your processor is too low ? I can't go under 1.2mhz. You could maybe adjust it a little faster ? You know, this is not a locomotive diesel engine Wink

I am trying "Real Time" out of curiosity. Still no interruption. As for the rest, I am following your adjustments.

Hey, thanks for your dedicated patience. I knew you were on to something, since you were too silent recently. A Peter not writing is always worrying Wink

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:29:09 pm »

Hey Peter, on Nick's suggestion I've been trying PA(+) with strength=1 for the last few weeks and I really like the 'in-the-room' affect it has on the sound.

Do you know if Q5=1 (and the other settings) would be compatible with my PA settings? Of course I can try this for myself (and wouldn't hesitate if I had a preamp in place), but would rather hear back from you first if you think there may be some adverse effects.

Cheers, Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 12:49:01 pm »

Mani,

Q5 is totally unrelated to PA. One exception :

I would never use PA with the combination of Q5=1 because the stops most probably will not be convered for by the PA "fade out". Thus, the fameous large thump may be your share.
I will adjust my original post with this advice.

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:11:34 am »

Hi Peter,

Initial impressions are very good.  I've only had it going for half an hour but I do like it so far.  I will put plenty of hours with these settings before I give my full report...but I'm loving the 'togetherness' that I am hearing, but I don't know whether that is the settings or the fact that it is raining right now and everything sounds better when it rains (at least it does over here in Australia where it tends not to rain for long periods - the blue skies and sunshine get monotonous after a while hehehe).

Cheers,

Anthony 

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:19:25 am »

Hi Peter,

I have some issues.  Hopefully they are easy to fix.

As I played more music this morning I noticed some small clicks and pops coming from one particular classical track.  I replayed the first minute or so of this track several times and the clicks and pops were irregular, random, they happened at varying frequency and in varying spots in the soundstage (this audio gear is mad...I could point to where the pops were happening).  Anyway, I re-read your first post here and I tried playing with every changed setting (only one at a time) and could not get the pops to go away on this track, so it was time to think outside of these changes to see if I could pick up another pattern.

Here is what I found...the sample rate determines whether a track is going to have pops and clicks.  I went through much of my hi-res collection and played the start of one track from each single album, noted the sample rate, and in "attended mode) I kept track of the "Kernal Streaming / WASAPI (WDM) Error Count" in the "Phasure USB Control Panel".  The only errors that occurred where in that box.  Below is a summary of my findings...

Sample Rate      Result      # of Albums
16/44Goodlots
16/48clicks1
24/44.1Good2
24/48clicks1
24/88.2Good2
24/96clicks5
24/176.4Good3
24/192clicks6
24/352.8Good2

Can you make any sense of this Peter?  Mathematically, I would say that the best correlation for the sample rates that produce clicks and pops is when the sample rate is neatly divisible by the bitrate eg. 48/24 = 2 or 192/24 = 8 or 96/24 = 4.  Is it that straight forward?

Regards,

Anthony

EDIT:  Thanks to Alain (and his post below) I have added the 16/48 sample rate to the table above.  Definitely have problems with sample rates that are a multiple of 48 with these new settings.

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 02:26:46 am »

Hi Anthony, I can't help on this, but you probably noted that this seems to happen with multiples of 48... Do you have a 16/48 DVD ? I could even send you a song that has this bitrate ? If so, PM me with your email address (filemail)...

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 09:06:19 am »

Anthony, is this only happening with Q5=1 - IOW you never heard this before ?
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 09:14:15 am »

I've never heard this before, not once.

BTW, I'm loving the sound so far.

Audio PC

Audio Chain
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:44:55 am »

Peter, I should point out which settings were changed to get to these new settings...

xQ1 from 10 to 1
Q5 from 5 to 1
SFS from 20 max 20 to 2 max 8
Thread Priority from Realtime to High
Processor Appointment Scheme from 4 to 3
Xtweaks from 45/100/1/1/1 to 53/100/1/1/1

I have tried changing these settings individually back to their originals but I have not tried setting more than one of these back to their originals at the same time.

Also, I have the 8-core Xeon processor and not the 6-core i7.  Likewise, I am using the PPAstudio USB3 card.

Anthony

Audio PC

Audio Chain
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 10:06:58 am »

OffTopic

Anthony, your sig says "Asus" X79 etc ...
That would be ASRock, right ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:25 am »

I tried the suggested settings last night and all is working flawlessly.
SQ really is superb. Flowing, balanced, yet detailed. Very “present” and lively I would say.

However, there is also a strange imbalance in that the soundstage seems to be shifted a bit to one side. I get the impression that the stage is a bit more to the left side, especially noticeable in the hf. This is remarkable because before I always heard a slight shift to the right.

Maybe this sounds strange and I will do some more listening asap

Regards,
Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:49 am »

Anthony, thank you for your clarifications.

How easy will it be to observe these clicks ? I mean, do I have a chance that I miss them ? Does it need more silent music (piano perhaps) ?

In the mean time I wonder whether you can observe the interval of the clicks changing with the SFS changing. I am afraid you won't have much headroom though (the larger the SFS the less chance it will work at all). And of course it requires a fast interval to observe in the first place (I think SFS=2 implies track part loads of 3x per second. SFS=6 simply triples that to once per second - just watch your CPU graph).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 10:14:31 am »

Maybe this sounds strange and I will do some more listening asap

Stanley, no, I don't think this is a strange observation at all. Mind the title of the topic ...
Please go ahead with it because possibly I am seeking what actually is wrong or strange. Maybe nothing but maybe it needs pointers like yours to hear it.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:56 am »

...but I'm loving the 'togetherness' that I am hearing

Just saying ... This would have been my description but I thought it would not be decent English. At least I would have put it in between quotes as well ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: